Lights in winter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lights in winter

My light and motion urban 500 barely lasts an hour at -20c. I forgot to charge it at work and i had to ride home on 100 watt flash mode (basically in the dark). I got a cheap 1500 watt ocxyled bl15 with an external battery ($50). Thinking this is the ticket if it can last over 2 hours in the cold. Ill mount it to my helmet and drop the battery in my back pack against my back. Should keep the battery warm...

Anyone else go this route?

#canadastrong
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    My light and motion urban 500 barely lasts an hour at -20c. I forgot to charge it at work and i had to ride home on 100 watt flash mode (basically in the dark). I got a cheap 1500 watt ocxyled bl15 with an external battery ($50). Thinking this is the ticket if it can last over 2 hours in the cold. Ill mount it to my helmet and drop the battery in my back pack against my back. Should keep the battery warm...

Anyone else go this route?

#canadastrong
    I had similar issues at temperatures even around 0C, and ended up going with dynamo lights for my baseline headlight.

One issue you will find with a helmet-mounted light, is that it doesn't cast visible shadows on stuff that sticks up from the ground, unlike a bar light. I find those shadows really helpful. On a trail, they highlight rocks and stuff. On the road, they highlight potholes, major debris like lumber, and the contours of mushed-up snow.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Have you called L & M? They seem like theyd work something out with you..

mtbr member
    I use a Nite Rider that's over 4 years old and have never experienced short battery life due to cold.

FWIW, my commute is all urban and I only need the lowest setting. I've run the light out once in the cold, but that was on an all night solstice ride that started with a less than full charge. The light still ran for 4 hours on low at ~0F.

likes beer

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I own the L&M Urban 700 and have this problem too. I just got another light, so if I run out with one I fire up the second :/

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    My light and motion urban 500 barely lasts an hour at -20c. ...I got a cheap 1500 watt ocxyled bl15 with an external battery ($50).
    Not too surprising since the L&M 500 is only rated at 1.5 hours (on high), and you can bet they don't test it at -20C! I didn't see a spec for battery life on your new light from ocxyled, but one reviewer did claim he got 5 hours on high. Let us know how it works for you.

mtbr member
    Buying a bigger battery or a spare can solve the problem if not an all in one light. Some all in ones allow the cells to be swapped out, some don't.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Buying an overkill light and running it on a lower setting works well too. I currently have my commuter light on the bars on high at 400 lumens and I use my 950 lumen Gloworm X1 on the helmet on low (300 lumens) and it runs for a long time. If I need to I can turn up the Gloworm and just use that.

I'm expecting a couple more lights from Santa as well, which will give me several lighting setup options.

mtbr member

Lights in winter

Ran this light, was minus 30 with windchill. Ran 2 hours so far, i have my light and motion as backup, going to run it till it dies just to see how long it lasts. Being the battery is in my pack surrounded by my work clothes and against my back radiating heat its a sure thing it wont freeze up like a battery out in the elements.

I run stuff snowmobiling, go pros, gps, radios. Go pros for instance, sitting on your helmet off will die before you get up the mountain on your helmet. They are li-ion and it doesnt matter, cold air kills. I now keep it in my jacket pocket till im ready to use it. Gps and radio in my jacket cause it may be life or death if they die.

#canadastrong
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....