Lights- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Lights

What are you all running for lights both front and rear? I am running a Light and Motion Seca 900 in the front and a custom setup in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used to have a Seca 700 in front, but sold it to raise some money. So for headlights, now I use my old DiNotte 600L combined with a highly-focused flashlight (Dereelight DBS) most of the time. The DiNotte is too floody to be much use on the road, but it's a great "be-seen" headlight.

On my winter bike, in the rear, I have a Nova BULL emergency-vehicle mini-strobe as the main taillight, usually on double-flash mode. I also have Trek's "Beacon" bar-tip taillights as secondaries. It looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThwjZ6j11mc (3-minute out-and-back video).

As you can see, I also have a ton of reflective stuff, which showed up really well there since I'd set a flashlight right next to the camera.

My other commuting bike is a road-sport bike and usually runs a DiNotte 140L rear light plus the bar-tip lights and a SuperFlash. It looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDhwTV229E0 (shot at twilight, it was darker than the camera makes it look).

For a sense of the power comparison, here's comparable shots of a Mars 4.0 and a DiNotte 140L:

BTW you should not have white lights aimed to the rear. If there's a collision, you can bet the defense lawyers will be bringing up the illegality of that setup.

weirdo
    Holy cow! I love those DiNotte tail lights! They`ve upped the ante to a 400 model tail light now, haven`t they?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Holy cow! I love those DiNotte tail lights! They`ve upped the ante to a 400 model tail light now, haven`t they?
    That's right, they've got a dual-emitter unit (but there's no AA-powered variant of that one). And at one point they produced a three-emitter taillight version of the 600L headlight but eventually dropped it.

The 140 is great, though, and can be had in a AA-powered version. In heavy fog, the 400-series might be worthwhile. Fog is scary, especially if there's a big speed differential involved. The other nice thing about the 400 is that it can be mounted on reflector brackets, unlike the 140 which is set up for O-ring mounting. I don't like the 140 mount, so I cobbled one together from old computer brackets:

weirdo
    MechBgon, do you any chance know about any "DiNottiesque" tail light that could be run by the full power of a dyno during daylight hours, then switched off or reduced at night to divert the majority of the dyno`s juice to the headlight? I won`t even attempt to ask that on the homebrew forum because that stuff is way over my head- I`m talking about a commercial light.
    Recalculating....

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    the wife and i both run ay-up! handlebar mounted intermediate beam headlights and dual superflash tail lights in strobe mode. plan to eventually add helmet mounted ay-up! tight beam headlights to the mix too.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    As a commuter that drives past cyclists riding in the dark and fog, let me make one suggestion that I think is crucial for your survival: reflective tape. Many times, the headlights of mine or other vehicles will wash-out the lights on bikes, rendering the rider "invisible in the light". However, that same bike with some reflective tape on it is still highly visible.

One of the best setups I've ever seen, and which I've subsequently put on bikes, is the use of reflective tape on the spoke bed of wheels, but in a pattern that's progressively denser/tighter for half the wheel. The effect is a spinning, pulsing ring of reflection visible from far behind the bike, but invisible to the rider (if it's only on the rear wheel).

jrm
    mtbr member

Cues Music from Close Encounters

dude that rear set up is off the hook. Im just running a magicshine up front and a careye blinky out back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What's with the clear lights pointed at the rear? If I were behind you on a bike or car I would not be very happy with those in my eyes.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Planet Bike 1/2w Blaze in front and Superflash out back. SF is always on flash, Blaze is on steady if it's dark (lack of streetlights, car traffic, etc), usually pointed down a bit to catch any "surprises" coming up on the road. I have it flashing if it's daytime and cloudy or it's a well-lit and/or high traffic area.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    MechBgon, do you any chance know about any "DiNottiesque" tail light that could be run by the full power of a dyno during daylight hours, then switched off or reduced at night to divert the majority of the dyno`s juice to the headlight? I won`t even attempt to ask that on the homebrew forum because that stuff is way over my head- I`m talking about a commercial light.
    I don't know of one off the top of my head. That would be a pretty specialized product. The companies who have the technology for that sort of thing all seem to be based in Germany, where powerful taillights are against the law in the first place. Unless you have a BMW, of course, in which case a 55W halogen rear fog light is evidently OK It is not logical, Captain.

As a commuter that drives past cyclists riding in the dark and fog, let me make one suggestion that I think is crucial for your survival: reflective tape. Many times, the headlights of mine or other vehicles will wash-out the lights on bikes, rendering the rider "invisible in the light". However, that same bike with some reflective tape on it is still highly visible.

One of the best setups I've ever seen, and which I've subsequently put on bikes, is the use of reflective tape on the spoke bed of wheels, but in a pattern that's progressively denser/tighter for half the wheel. The effect is a spinning, pulsing ring of reflection visible from far behind the bike, but invisible to the rider (if it's only on the rear wheel).
    I'm a big fan of reflective tape too. This is some very good stuff with top-notch reflectivity, if anyone needs a source: https://www.night-gear.com/reflectiv...-reflexite-539 The silver tape is the most strongly reflective, but they have other colors. All of them are prismatic tape, as opposed to less-reflective glass-bead "encapsulated lens" tape. A couple bikes I used it on:

^ winter bike before & after a total tapefest, pretty much plastered with Reflexite V82. The wheels have half Reflexite V82, half ScotchLite glass-bead tape... quite a difference in performance. This pic illustrates it better:

^ all-around road commuter/training/rain bike with V82 on the wheels, the underside of the downtube, down the fork blades, and pinstriped on the lower part of the top tube for frontal visibility (e.g. when I'm turning left across oncoming traffic)

weirdo
    Nice photwork, mBg. Also a good deal on the Reflexite at that Night-gear site. I was going to post up again for some V92 that I bought from Identitape a few months ago, but the new site you linked to looks like a better deal.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice photwork, mBg. Also a good deal on the Reflexite at that Night-gear site. I was going to post up again for some V92 that I bought from Identitape a few months ago, but the new site you linked to looks like a better deal.
    I also like the subtleness of the V82, which doesn't have the triangle pattern of the V92, and it's nice not to have a $25 minimum order to avoid a minimum-order fee. If anyone's wondering, if you order multiple quantities of one color, they'll send it in one continuous piece. At least that's how mine came.

Members who have read this thread: 0