lighted cycling gloves- Mtbr.com
    The Voice of Reason

lighted cycling gloves

anyone tried any? seems like a good idea.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

EAT MORE GRIME
    be seen ? or to see with ?

for 'be seen'...imma tell ya a story about this

no.

bad idea.

small lights on glove, or on body, are useless IMHO

far better to use something with retroreflectors. I know this as some walkers
    around my way have all sorts of a variety of conspicuity ideas, and lights and whatnot, and the worse ones are small led or lights or EL bands. when driving, I only see the retroreflectors, and the lights just get in the way and cannot be seen until you are on top of them.

if you had a BRIGHT light then that is different, but that also means something heavy on your hands which is bullshit for riding.
    https://www.amazon.com/SMART-Recharg.../dp/B00XL97SBG

hi-vis gloves are the ticket. they can be seen for a mile.
    https://www.hivissupply.com/3a-safet...ic-gloves.html

https://www.blauer.com/storm-traffic-glove-gl105.html
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

The Voice of Reason
    i was thinking 'to be seen'.
    the hi-vis gloves might work.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    i was thinking 'to be seen'.
    the hi-vis gloves might work.
    I think extra hard about optics and seeing and being seen at night. By far, anything with white retroreflective strips stands out more than any lighting solution, barring large actual led light. even with led lights, if the light is not aimed your way, you may not have enough side light...whereas any piece of a retroreflective strips will stand out brightly from a long distance.

in this picture, the rider in blue on top, has gloves with retroreflective strips
    (also on the fork)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Human Test Subject
    What the networking nerd said. If you shine a light on a dim light it becomes an invisible light. Reflective is just as bright as whatever light is shining on it and is already on many gloves.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Yeah!
    Reflective materials are great, until the light source is poor, or aimed incorrectly. Many older vehicles put out less light with both headlamps when they were brand new than a $150 bike light. Years of UV damage, deteriorating wirings, charging systems on their last legs, and old headlamp bulbs results in many older cars putting out half the light. Do you think a weak reflection is going to attract the attention of a driver that is struggling to see the road?

Good reflectors AND good lights is the insurance we all need.

Pearl Izumi uses reflective material on their gloves. It's good enough to be seen when changing lanes or making a turn, I rotate my hand quickly to ensure my signal is seen, but I do not depend on this to BE seen. Bike gets plenty of light at both ends, as does the helmet.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

The Voice of Reason
    thanks for the replies. i'm lit up like a xmas tree front and back. i'm just thinking about side visibility. i'm riding drop bars so the back of by hands are facing out, perfect for side lighting, i think.

Yeah!
    I thought for years about making well lit bar end caps, but never went through with it because I think it's better to have a light attached to the frame so that it's not moving around a lot (easier to track for drivers). I finally decided that, as soon as Orfos opens up public sales of their Flare Pro, I'll get two yellow pros to mount to the sides of the head tube. I'll have red ones on the chain stays angled 45 away from centerline, with my red flare remaining centerline on the pannier.

A year ago I picked up a Solas 150 to replace a 100 on the rear of my helmet, and moved the 100 to the left side of my pannier. I don't think I can't be seen by anyone but the blind, but as I instructed my kids for 18 years, if you take no chances, you earn no regrets.

Class Clown
    you can get some 3m reflective tape and stick it everywhere. I put some on the sides of a frame and fork and it definitely brightened up the sideview. That said bright leds are a must.

The Voice of Reason
    i've got the tape and the sidewalls of my tires are reflective but i was thinking more active lighting.

mtbr member
    The automotive engineers who decided (sometime in the late 90s?) to have the dashboard lights come on in the dark regardless of whether the headlights were on were insane. 10-20% of the cars I see at night now have DRLs only, or nothing at all.

I have reflective gear everywhere, and I trust it for absolutely nothing.

You've all probably read this already:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/reflectors.html

But if you haven't, you need to. I think 75% of the limitations of reflectors he lists also apply to reflective tape and piping.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    If you have access to a car and a video camera with decent night capabilities, you can video how well you show to drivers in various angles. The cross traffic one, especially it the street comes in at an angle pointing the headlights away from you, is an eye opener.

Yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The automotive engineers who decided (sometime in the late 90s?) to have the dashboard lights come on in the dark regardless of whether the headlights were on were insane. 10-20% of the cars I see at night now have DRLs only, or nothing at all.

I have reflective gear everywhere, and I trust it for absolutely nothing.

You've all probably read this already:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/reflectors.html

But if you haven't, you need to. I think 75% of the limitations of reflectors he lists also apply to reflective tape and piping.
    Always lit dashboards coincided with the adoption of LED's for dash lighting, around the mid 2000's.

Can you explain why this is insane? Most of the cars with this also have the automatic headlamp option, which I feel has led to MORE lights being on in conditions under which the operator would not have yet turned on their headlamps.

The issue of cars running only DRL's at night is more an issue of the driver thinking they have their headlamps on due to their being some reflection of the DRL light. What should be done is mandate the spread of the DRL to not generate any significant reflection for the driver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Always lit dashboards coincided with the adoption of LED's for dash lighting, around the mid 2000's.

Can you explain why this is insane? Most of the cars with this also have the automatic headlamp option, which I feel has led to MORE lights being on in conditions under which the operator would not have yet turned on their headlamps.
    Because on some models, including at the very least Toyota and Mazda, you can turn (accidentally?) the auto headlight system off, and the auto dashboard light system stays on.

Everyone who learned to drive in the 1990s and earlier had the dashboard lights wired with the headlight switch. The visual indication that the headlights were off was a very obvious lack of dashboard lights. This has changed.

There is no safety scenario in which the dashboard lights are needed, the car is in drive, and the full headlighting system is not needed. So it shouldn't be a possible mode of operation.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Admittedly, the high res POV camera I used was among the more sensitive at night at the time the video was made but it may have the night vision of 80+ year old drivers. The camera for most of if is looking to the right of a car parked at 90 degrees to the street. The camera was changed to the view a driver looking straight ahead would see. My fenders reflect more light from my lights that my reflectors did. It is good to know how we show for cross traffic. I don't see reflective gloves helping much. I have high vis gloves. They work best in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgm6FOGep-Q

Yeah!
    Because on some models, including at the very least Toyota and Mazda, you can turn (accidentally?) the auto headlight system off, and the auto dashboard light system stays on.

Everyone who learned to drive in the 1990s and earlier had the dashboard lights wired with the headlight switch. The visual indication that the headlights were off was a very obvious lack of dashboard lights. This has changed.

There is no safety scenario in which the dashboard lights are needed, the car is in drive, and the full headlighting system is not needed. So it shouldn't be a possible mode of operation.
    On my wife's Escape, the gauge cluster without the headlamps on is very bright. In certain conditions (like facing the sun), it is easier to read the cluster than with other vehicles, whether or not we turn the lights on. For me, it's way too bright to drive with at night, and I can't fail to notice that exterior lamps are off.

mtbr member
    Our Focus has a green lights on symbol and if the cruise is off an icon of the car with lights on. Still parking lamps only have fooled me. I run the lights day or night. The Lincoln is easier to not notice the lights are not on in lighted areas or before it gets dark enough. No indicator. In both cars, the high beams just flash as a dead give away with hands on the wheel that the headlights are off as I can't see the light switch easily. It is easy to pull out of a lighted area and then notice the headlights are off. That lighted dash as indicator of lights being on is a hard habit to break.

mtbr member
    Mazda 5 (company car) had me completely duped after someone flicked the lights from "auto" to "off". Normal dashboard lighting level, and because I started up facing a window, I saw the reflection of the DRLs come on and assumed they were headlights.

Drove across the entire city with no running or tail lights well after dark. Clueless. Would have had great difficulty seeing reflective anything. I'm gonna glue that switch to auto I think.

Now, my vote for second dumbest automotive lighting idea.... the key fob that (to help you find your car?), turns the BACKUP LIGHTS ON. I seriously thought someone had gotten out of a car and left it in reverse, I was bracing for mayhem.

Yeah!
    Now, my vote for second dumbest automotive lighting idea.... the key fob that (to help you find your car?), turns the BACKUP LIGHTS ON. I seriously thought someone had gotten out of a car and left it in reverse, I was bracing for mayhem.
    Was it a Chevy?

What's REALLY nice about those is the reverse lights remain on with the headlamps for up to two minutes after the driver gets out, leaving parking lot drivers waiting on a car with no occupant to back up. Got to wonder if those engineers ever drive the cars they design.

Yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Our Focus has a green lights on symbol and if the cruise is off an icon of the car with lights on.
    Same here, both a green indicator lamp AND illumination of headlamp beams on the screen, AND a much brighter headlamps off dash than when lit, yet I bet people will still find a way to screw up.

The auxillary lamps on my Wife's Escape are about the best Ford has ever put on a vehicle, they provide an even spill and are just about bright enough to drive with (better than the headlamps on the '92 Sable I owned), but there is no way I could mistake them for the proper headlamps, now that Ford is back to designing decent headlamps. Someone that has never driven one could make that mistake, but Ford had the insight to use a momentary switch and de-energize the circuit, so you must hit the switch each time you power the car to turn them on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Was it a Chevy?
    A fine GMC product IIRC.

But one better yesterday in the Mazda. Someone had accidentally dimmed the dashboard lights... all the way down.

Which means.... you guessed it. Dashhboard lights OFF when headlights ON, dashboard lights come ON when headlights turned OFF. I had to google where the adjustment switch was.

It's like this car is actively trying to kill me.

Yeah!
    I had to google where the adjustment switch was.
    It's always that little switch with a little image that doesn't tell you a damn thing about it's function. Not a problem, except for those cars where there are three of those damn things.

mtbr member