light help- Mtbr.com

Thread: light help

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

light help

So I have been taking the train from work to school and i bring my bike with me. Last night I got sick of waiting the 45 minutes for the train so i decide to see how far i could make it on a trail i found that parallels the train tracks and passes most of the stations on the line. Well I didnt realize the light on my bike was not made for this type of night riding and I got sidetracked a few times and almost wiped on some speed bumps.

now im in the market to upgrade and would like to keep it under 100 bucks if possible. I saw a magic shine on amazon that was around 100 bucks after my reward points it was the mj-872 i think. any thoughts on this light or something a little bit brighter than my cheap headlamp.

Edit: or for the same price the MagicShine MJ-816E
    thanks

mtbr member
    Cygolight expillion 350. its cheap on amazon.

mtb_girl
    Dec 2011
    I've been looking at that Magicshine light too. I have a 900 lumen Magicshine light already, which I like, and want a second one because I like having a light on the bars plus a helmet light to ride singletrack trails at night. The Magicshine mj-872 alone might be enough for commuting on a trail, looking at their different light photos.

mtbr member
    I really like my MS for commuting and trails. Usually leave it on the low setting for the commute and medium-high for the trail. Good bang for the buck! I have the MS 900 lumen.

mtbr member
    Check out this thread for reviews on the MS and other lights:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/

Bang for the buck is there, some reliability issues. There are also the light shootout articles.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Ahh yes. That brings to mind a buddy's recent issues with his. Battery seems pretty inconsistent...i.e. full charge one day last X amount of time, and another some completely different amount of time. Could be the way he charges...but who knows?

On the other hand, I've had no issues whatsoever.

mtbr member
    I use the MJ-816 with the MJ-818 taillight and commute to work after dark. It works very well, but would recommend getting the largest battery pack you can afford for longevity of your ride. Also if you need a headlight you NEED a taillight, and make it as bright as possible.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I use the MJ-816 with the MJ-818 taillight and commute to work after dark. It works very well, but would recommend getting the largest battery pack you can afford for longevity of your ride. Also if you need a headlight you NEED a taillight, and make it as bright as possible.
    Thanks I have a good tailight but didnt realize how bad i needed a bright headlight. I will look out for a battery pack.

mtbr member
    Action-LED-Lights — BIKE
    Site has very good products and outstanding customer service. It might be a little hard to do for under $100 but they will work with you to get you what you need, not just make a sale.
    Last edited by junior1210; 04-11-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: removing inaccurate info
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtb_girl
    Dec 2011
    Regarding the MS battery, maybe this is obvious, but I noticed the battery will drain if I leave the light plugged into the battery when I'm not using the light. So I unplug it when not in use.

mtbr member
    ^ The drivers use about 50 mA to stay in ready mode. So yes, that will drain the pack in time.

Another resource for commuting lights:

http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/ano...ghts+commuting

Also check out the Lights DIY forum if you are interested in making one yourself. There was a competition for an $80 DIY unit. Scar has a very effective and reliable if a bit industrial light for a good price (mid 100's?) and a thread discussing them, in that forum.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Action-LED-Lights — BIKE or http://www.geomangear.com/
    Either site has very good products and outstanding customer service. It might be a little hard to do for under $100 but both will work with you to get you what you need, not just make a sale.
    Thanks for the links. Just a heads up the geomangear.com is out of business now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^ The drivers use about 50 mA to stay in ready mode. So yes, that will drain the pack in time.

Another resource for commuting lights:

http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/ano...ghts+commuting

Also check out the Lights DIY forum if you are interested in making one yourself. There was a competition for an $80 DIY unit. Scar has a very effective and reliable if a bit industrial light for a good price (mid 100's?) and a thread discussing them, in that forum.

BrianMc

Thanks Brian. I made my way through that thread yesterday and it gave me a lot of info on where to start looking. I would love to do a DIY but I have absolutely no free time. Full time work and then school full time at night and 2 young boys. Maybe after I graduate I can pick up a new hobby. Its sad that I dont even have time to brew beer right now which is my second favorite hobby next to riding. Good news is I have been able to work commuting into my life so i do get to use my bikes.

mtbr member
    Sorry about that. Edited my post, Action is still around and does good a good job.

mtbr member
    I've got the 1000 Magicshine (can't remember which number it is) with tail light, all run from the same battery pack. Works great -- low setting is more than enough light -- although I've only used it for road commuting. Running the tail light and headlight on low, I can get 3 commutes on one charge (about 4.25 hrs of riding in all). My only complaint is that the flash setting seems to be on high power, which is both too bright for oncoming cars and drains the battery very fast. I've had it since October, used all winter commuting, so I can't vouch for longevity.

Although it isn't pitch dark for my commute anymore, I've been hesitant to take it off the bike, just because I like the security of having it there if I get help up late at work or something.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Magic shine user here and I have had no problems with mine.
    (knocks on head)
    It's the stopping and starting part that will get ya!

Members who have read this thread: 0