The life of an IGH- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

The life of an IGH

Well, I've recently ordered a new Lynskey 26ss with the intent to build up a commuter around an Internally geared hub. Both my best friend and my girlfriend both have the Afline8 on their daily drivers and have had nothing but good things to say. The friend is a bigger guy that has gained the reputation of breaking bike parts that he's even gestures at too sternly, but has claimed that his Alfine8 has worked as well over the course of the past several thousand miles as it did on the first day. Of course around 1K we had to go inside and do the ole' ATF dip but even then, the innards looked flawlessly clean...
    To make a long story short, I'm wondering if it would be worth it, if only for durability, to wait for the mythic and forthcoming Alfine11. I've scoured the net trying to find a round about lifespan for the alfine8 (mileage before death) but haven't seem to come up with anything. I generally get about 6-8K a year in commuting and would like to get at least a few years out of the hub...

So, has any body ever come across any proclaimed lifespan numbers on the sheemaino Alfine8?

Thanks

Hail Satin!
    Not sure if this will help. But there is an I.G.H. section on this site. I'm sure someone over there has posted something like this.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    you'd think so but I haven't come across much. that's why if figured maybe some the heartier milers on this forum might have a few suggestions...

mtbr member
    I read there, too. 'Geared' more toward MTB - go figure!

There apparently is a larger commuting forum section in another bike forum. I don't belong, but maybe a google on 'IGH', 'commuting', 'bike' and 'forum' might find you a good resource of many Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub owners.

The 11 speed Shimano definitely looks interesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Youd think. I've tried all the routes. And I'm definately looking for the story on the alfine 8 and not the nexus. Outside of the disk mount they have the clutch and allegedly better seals than the nexus.

mtbr member
    Found this with one comment down page of a year in NY with one.

http://commutebybike.com/2010/07/07/...himano-alfine/

Sounds like the Alfine 8 was released in NA in spring 2007and the roller clutch added 2009 according to the Alfine 8 thread in the IGH section. I scanned quickly and saw no complaints of failure on the last page (allow time for issues to arise). You can look more thoroughly. Or post your question at the end of that thread. Nothing of problems when Googled and given that people complain somewhere about a lack of reliability, this sounds like 2 year reliability unless they are all on town bikes ridden every other Sunday in the summer. The MTBR thread suggests not.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 08-15-2010 at 02:05 PM.

weirdo
    I`ve heard that Hubstripping.com is the "go to" place for IG info. Never dug around there much, personally, but you can probably find out what you want to know.
    http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/alfine-shimano/
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've looked through all those pages. Nothing. Maybe it's just not out there.

Frt Range, CO
    I ride the Alfine/Nexus 8 and the SRAM i-Motion 9. Alfine/Nexus is bullet-proof but the large step on the 5-6 shift is very annoying on the road. I prefer my im9 for the road, the even steps are really nice and it's holding up OK. Not as tough as the Alfine/Nexus but better steps, it's a trade-off.

The Alfine is slightly better sealed compared to the newer Nexus 8R35/36 but it's not a big deal, both are sealed very well. Internal guts are the same on the Nexus 8R36 and the Alfine 501. Choose Alfine for disc brakes, Nexus for roller/coaster brake. If you're buying a complete bike with a Nexus hub, make sure it's an 8R36, not the 8R25.

Members who have read this thread: 0