LF outershell for fall & winter wet commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

LF outershell for fall & winter wet commuting

Fall is here and winter is coming and I don't feel prepared enough.

I just have some cheap $15 doller frog toggs jacket and pant from walmart. I'm looking for 30min commute wet gear...stuff i can order off amazon quick.

1) waterproof outershell im suspecting i need 2, 1 for fall and 1 for winter

2) i need to do something about my feet getting wet. I ride with specialized spd shoes you can walk in.

3) legs. Im thinking something like padded short, then 5.11 bike patrol pant, then something waterproof...idk tho just an idea.

*any other gear feel free to recommend it
    * i only want proven stuff...for real rainstorms etc...not any sprinkle rain crap
    * Beloit Wi to Roscoe Il via 251
    * amazon links if avail. pls...
    Last edited by hhuff; 09-22-2016 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like the showers pass stuff. My commuter jacket was like $ 100.00 or so. Sometimes REI has them on sale. Got a waterproof helmet cover? My J&G works well. Spd? Winter waterproof spd stuff from Lake, Spec. and 45 North. $$$ Maybe 150-200.00 or so. Me? I use flat pedals and low, waterproof hiking boots.

since 4/10/2009
    Consider a rain cape. I know a few folks who have (and love) theirs. Some have hoods that cover helmets, while some do not. I would love to get one, but it's not in the budget right now.

For feet, definitely ensure you have full length fenders with a good flap on the front. That alone does quite a lot to keep my feet dry. If you still have wetness issues, a few options are worth considering.
    1. waterproof socks
    2. waterproof shoe covers (prob least durable option)
    3. waterproof shoes

Moderator Moderator
    Are you only expecting rain, or does it get cold enough to sleet and snow where you are? If you have a feel for the temp range, you will get better suggestions. A jacket good in 36F rain is usually a misery at 60F.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Are you only expecting rain, or does it get cold enough to sleet and snow where you are? If you have a feel for the temp range, you will get better suggestions. A jacket good in 36F rain is usually a misery at 60F.
    Beloit Wisconsin to Roscoe Illinois via highway 251

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    It won't work for Midwest winters, but I have a Montbell VersaLite that I absolutely love. It comes with a stuff sack and the thing stuffs down a ridiculously small amount. It's very light and thin, but very effective.

They do have holiday sales occasionally if you don't want to pay full price.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am yet to find rain gear that doesn't make me sweat as much as if I was just riding in the rain. For me, that is a wash, because I would rather be wet and not hot at the same time. So far I have been very happy with REI's brand Novara for anything from jerseys to cold weather stuff. I have a light Headwind jacket from them that I can wear in single digit temps with a t-shirt on underneath and break a sweat in.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Moderator Moderator
    Another vote for Showers Pass rain jackets, although I wear a softshell more often. A softshell makes you sweat less and has a broader temp range, but won't keep you dry in more than a shower. Looks like they have some sales on both https://www.showerspass.com/product-category/jackets. Still pricey though. I see some good Gore stuff here too Men?s Bike Clothing - Cycling Apparel & Accessories - Up to 70% Off | Steep & Cheap