• 09-22-2016
    hhuff
    LF outershell for fall & winter wet commuting
    Fall is here and winter is coming and I don't feel prepared enough.

I just have some cheap $15 doller frog toggs jacket and pant from walmart. I'm looking for 30min commute wet gear...stuff i can order off amazon quick.

1) waterproof outershell im suspecting i need 2, 1 for fall and 1 for winter

2) i need to do something about my feet getting wet. I ride with specialized spd shoes you can walk in.

3) legs. Im thinking something like padded short, then 5.11 bike patrol pant, then something waterproof...idk tho just an idea.

*any other gear feel free to recommend it
    * i only want proven stuff...for real rainstorms etc...not any sprinkle rain crap
    * Beloit Wi to Roscoe Il via 251
    * amazon links if avail. pls...
  • 09-22-2016
    leeboh
    I like the showers pass stuff. My commuter jacket was like $ 100.00 or so. Sometimes REI has them on sale. Got a waterproof helmet cover? My J&G works well. Spd? Winter waterproof spd stuff from Lake, Spec. and 45 North. $$$ Maybe 150-200.00 or so. Me? I use flat pedals and low, waterproof hiking boots.
  • 09-22-2016
    Harold
    Consider a rain cape. I know a few folks who have (and love) theirs. Some have hoods that cover helmets, while some do not. I would love to get one, but it's not in the budget right now.

For feet, definitely ensure you have full length fenders with a good flap on the front. That alone does quite a lot to keep my feet dry. If you still have wetness issues, a few options are worth considering.
    1. waterproof socks
    2. waterproof shoe covers (prob least durable option)
    3. waterproof shoes
  • 09-22-2016
    mtbxplorer
    Are you only expecting rain, or does it get cold enough to sleet and snow where you are? If you have a feel for the temp range, you will get better suggestions. A jacket good in 36F rain is usually a misery at 60F.
  • 09-22-2016
    hhuff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Are you only expecting rain, or does it get cold enough to sleet and snow where you are? If you have a feel for the temp range, you will get better suggestions. A jacket good in 36F rain is usually a misery at 60F.

Beloit Wisconsin to Roscoe Illinois via highway 251
  • 09-23-2016
    Biggus Duckus
    It won't work for Midwest winters, but I have a Montbell VersaLite that I absolutely love. It comes with a stuff sack and the thing stuffs down a ridiculously small amount. It's very light and thin, but very effective.

They do have holiday sales occasionally if you don't want to pay full price.
  • 09-23-2016
    TenSpeed
    I am yet to find rain gear that doesn't make me sweat as much as if I was just riding in the rain. For me, that is a wash, because I would rather be wet and not hot at the same time. So far I have been very happy with REI's brand Novara for anything from jerseys to cold weather stuff. I have a light Headwind jacket from them that I can wear in single digit temps with a t-shirt on underneath and break a sweat in.
  • 09-24-2016
    mtbxplorer
    Another vote for Showers Pass rain jackets, although I wear a softshell more often. A softshell makes you sweat less and has a broader temp range, but won't keep you dry in more than a shower. Looks like they have some sales on both https://www.showerspass.com/product-category/jackets. Still pricey though. I see some good Gore stuff here too Men?s Bike Clothing - Cycling Apparel & Accessories - Up to 70% Off | Steep & Cheap