LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016

Let's talk tires!

Hi everyone, I have a 94 Zaskar LE that I am going to make my commuter for the most part but will also be using it for gravel and hard pack trails occasionally. I am looking for a fast rolling tire that will stand up to some off road stuff (nothing extreme) was considering Schwalbe Racing Ralph evo, liteskin, pace star 2.1s, Specialized fast track S works, Maxxis IKON max speed 2.2s, Schwalbe thunder Burt, Specialized renegade S works 1.9 and the Continental Race Kings. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions out there would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    maxi crossmark

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Thank you very much I appreciate it!

CB of the East
    It looks like you are looking more toward lighter racing tires which are going to offer less flat protection which can be frustrating as a commuter when you need to be somewhere on time.

This is a good site that lets you compare rolling resistance vs puncture resistance and weight. Most of the tires you mentioned are on there so you can evaluate them for yourself. Have Fun: Mountain Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Thank you so much bedward that is extremely helpful, just what I was looking for!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm using Kenda Kwick 445's in the 1.7 size. You can guess what the 445 stands for. They're fast enough, but a bit noisy on pavement. About 30% of my riding is on washboard gravel. I'm on a no boing bike. That's where they're best. I keep 'em both @ 50PSI. At 65, the noise is less and are not too bad on pavement. Two years, no flats.
    When choosing tires, be it for your bike or your car, there will be compromises. It's up to the consumer to determine which of those are acceptable to them.