Leather in the weather- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Leather in the weather

I was thinking about a set of leather grips and a saddle, but I don't want to do that if the rain/snow/sun is just going to destroy them.

What's the skinny on leather?

Thanks,

Lule

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rain, snow, and sun will destroy them. For the saddle a cover is an easy solution. It will keep it dry. Water softens the leather. You can oil your grips and it will help. I wouldn't recommend anything else besides the saddle if you leave your bike outside. The saddle is easy to protect.

mtbr member
    Thanks. The exposure to the weather should be limited. It seems there are some companys that say the leather is weatherproof. I think I'm going to give it a try.

-Lule

DynoDon
    Saddle Soap is good for leather, there are other treatments, google is your friend, leather worked for cowboys, indians and bikers for years, just be sure treat it once in awhile.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Leather saddles work well in the wet. I usually have a plastic shopping bag shoved under the seat and I run full fenders. Doesn't get wet from below, and if I park it outside in the rain, I pull the bag over the saddle and tie it on. I treat it whenever it starts getting an ashy surface- once every six months or so. My roommate does it way more often, but...

LCI #1853
    I've run a Brooks saddle for the past three years, and it wears much better than the regular racing saddles. Regular application of Prufhide, and keeping a plastic shopping bag handy in case for when you have to park the bike out in the rain, and you should have many years in the Happy Bottom Riding Club.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

mtbr member
    Good points! I'd forgotten about saddle soap.

Members who have read this thread: 0