Krog Bags & Universal Hub...?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Krog Bags & Universal Hub...?

Greetings all from Japan

I'm looking for a bag that I can use both as a "Messenger" type bag & a "Pannier".

Maybe I'm asking the impossible, or I will not be happy with the compromise?

I have a 1988 Cannondale SM500 MTB that is converted to urban use, I have a Blackburn rack that I bought soon after I bought the bike, if that makes any difference...?

I thought I had an old set of Panniers here somewhere but I've not been able to locate them, they may have gotten dumped at some point

Anyway, I'm looking at several bags that Krog offers with the "universal hub" system, I'm thinking pannier mount, does anyone use this, and if you do, how do you find it?

I'll be using the bag more as a messenger bag than a Pannier, but I do foresee a few times when I would want the bag to be a pannier as I carry a backpack.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
    To Canadians Hockey is not just a game, it's OUR Game.....!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    So I guess I should stay away from this stuff, since no one seems to own it or even have an opinion on it

Go CANADA!

weirdo
    Sorry, Stu- never used a messenger bag and I try not to use a backpack while riding anymore, so I `ve never paid much attention to any of that stuff. Since there weren`t any other takers, here are my suggestions anyway: If you can`t find the bag in question locally to fondle it with your own hands and see it with your own eyes, I`d try contacting the manufacturer or a distributor to find out what`s the idea behind their hub system. Should that not work out, I`d probably get a comfortable messenger bag and put my own pannier clips on it. Some pannier mfgs will sell you the clips separately and it`s a pretty easy affair to poke a few holes in a bag and screw the clips on- probably easier than making and attatching a comfortable strap (which really shouldn`t be too hard either).
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Sorry, Stu- never used a messenger bag and I try not to use a backpack while riding anymore, so I `ve never paid much attention to any of that stuff. Since there weren`t any other takers, here are my suggestions anyway: If you can`t find the bag in question locally to fondle it with your own hands and see it with your own eyes, I`d try contacting the manufacturer or a distributor to find out what`s the idea behind their hub system. Should that not work out, I`d probably get a comfortable messenger bag and put my own pannier clips on it. Some pannier mfgs will sell you the clips separately and it`s a pretty easy affair to poke a few holes in a bag and screw the clips on- probably easier than making and attatching a comfortable strap (which really shouldn`t be too hard either).
    Thanks for the reply, I have done what you have suggested, I have just purchased the Timbuck2 Classic Messenger Medium bag, my wife got one too (different color) as she thought is was a cool idea.

I do like you ride about pannier clips, I'm sure I could just make my own, I'm fairly handy

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

weirdo
    It`s got to be simpler than a cargo trailer- I`m sure you`ll have no trouble at all.

The reason I`ve been using commercial clips (Lone Peak at ~$20 for four clips) is that they clip all the way around as opposed to just hanging from the top like anything I might fab would do. That keeps the front bags I use them on from bouncing off- a bungee would do the same thing for less $$, though not quite as simple or elegant. Old school pannier clips were just bent steel "J"s anyway.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link to those clip, they are really cool!

Go CANADA!

Members who have read this thread: 0