k2 zed 4.4 commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

k2 zed 4.4 commuter

recently got into commuting to work and back (36 miles round trip) and want to get something better then my iron horse DH bike to do it with. so i have my old k2 zed 4.4 here that i currently dont use at all and im trying to weight the pros and cons of converting it or spending money (dont have much) to getting a commuter style bike. what ive found so far it that for a couple hundred bucks i could buy a decent set of 700c wheels, and for what looks like another two hundred i could pickup a front fork and a single speed crank (always wanted to go single nows the time) i like my flat bars and wouldnt care to change them, id probably need to get a better seat at well but my question is, is that all and will it perform even close to a regular road bike? at the very least any road bike i get will need to be on the hybrid side as my route included some ugly hills and a dirt road. would it basically be just the little bit of extra frame weight from this to a road bike? i will also be adding a bob trailer for my huskey puppy to ride along in, he runs the trails great but i dont trust him near the road and hes getting to big to keep riding in my backpack although he does quite well. any input, suggestions or ideas welcome.

mtbr member
    I would save the $$ on a wheel set and single speeding it for now.

Get a suspension corrected rigid fork, some good slicks, and ride it like that to start. Maybe some ergon grips so you can change your hand position. Can't get much cheaper than that to start!

36 miles round trip sounds like some gears would be nice! Make small changes to start and see how you like it.

When I built up my single speed I had visions of using it for commuting and for off road. It doesn't work out well due to needing different gearing for both.
    Last edited by cobi; 05-15-2014 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I like cobi's advice. I have a similar project going, and am trying out the 700C thing, but my bike with slicks and a bar I like, and appropriate racks and bags for what I need does great as is. I suggest following his advice at first and go from there. Here is a thread where I basically journal my conversion of my old mountain bike to a commuter for you to see what I did along the way. Many others have done similar so my project is not all that special, but just to give you some ideas. http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/my-...on-908426.html

mtbr member
    36 miles round trip on a DH bike or SS? That's impressive.

I would sell the K2 and buy a proper road bike. You can get a used one in good shape for a reasonable price. For that distance, no way I would do SS personally. You could run 1x9 or 1x10 and it would be sort of in the middle....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    thanks for the input, i have decided to order some slicks tonight gunna go around 1.5 wide bike had 2.1 now so should be a decent reduction in resistance. guess ill through those on and see how it does after that. i know the wheelset isnt in great shape as i have never done any maintenance to that bike. but ill see if the tires make a decent difference maybe ill work towards converting that further if not ill just try to get a regular road bike. till then ill keep running my DH

mtbr member
    May 2014
    so i ordered slicks the other night, 26 1.5 those should be in tuesday and today i picked up a schwinn mirada off craigslist with the intention of just using the seat, front fork and the rear rack for my k2 commuter. the bike was a whole 30$ and had flat tires. came with everything plus a nice side bag, a spair tube, two helmats, and some tools. deffinatly a great 30 bucks spent. after getting it home i put some air in the tires and took it for a spin and wow! so much faster and smother then my k2 is and so much lighter. i have decided to build this as my commuter now, i moved the rack to the front and will be getting a basket for the pup, swapped over my handle bars from my k2 (much nicer feel) and spend a couple hours cleaning it up. heres where im at so far.

the seat is truly massive and is more of a chair then a seat, its comfort level is amazing, i can already see a huge improvement over what ive been riding. going to wait till new tires show up because the sideways a trashed on these and i dont trust them to go that far.