• 05-12-2008
    bworks
    just started commuting - blow out!
    I've been commuting for a couple of weeks and just had my first flat. I've had plenty of flats on the trails.. but what concerns me about this, was that it was a complete blow out :eekster: . It sounded like a shot gun went off... which I have never had before. Before I go and replace the tube and get going.. is there something I should look for that might have caused this... or is it a "normal" occurrence in commuting / road biking.

My setup: My commuter is a Vassago Jabberwocky (29er) singlespeed with Kenda Kross 700X40 tires: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...kking%2FHybrid

I am running some 26 inch mtb tubes.

Any thoughts?
  • 05-12-2008
    chucko58
    I've only had that happen when the sidewall on an old tire failed. It was parked right next to my desk at the time! :eekster:
  • 05-12-2008
    bworks
    Hmmmmmm. Upon inspection of the tire, I noticed a section by the bead that was shredding. I thought maybe it happened during the blowout, but maybe there is a reason those tires are 3.99....
  • 05-12-2008
    gnslr
    I had it happen once when i did not have the tire and tube properly seated and the tire actually pinched the tube and it poped like a balloon. You would have thought the tire would have blown on the first ride after mounting if that had been the case.
  • 05-12-2008
    bworks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gnslr
    I had it happen once when i did not have the tire and tube properly seated and the tire actually pinched the tube and it poped like a balloon. You would have thought the tire would have blown on the first ride after mounting if that had been the case.

I thought about that as well. I've only put about 50 miles on them, but like you said... if that were the case, I would have thought it would have happened earlier. I did pump my tires up for the first time since I installed them just before I left this morning to 65-70psi. That was the same pressure as when I first put them on 2 weeks ago. Maybe the MTB tube can't take those pressures?
  • 05-12-2008
    gnslr
    depending on the size of the tire you would think the mtb tube would work just fine but if you are running a 1.25 tire and a tube for a 2.3 it may not properly inflate
  • 05-12-2008
    comptiger5000
    It's probably because he is running a 26" tube on 29" wheels :eekster:

$4 tires probably aren't too good either.
  • 05-12-2008
    wayneosdias
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gnslr

Exact same thing happened to me wheni flatted at night, shared the corn out of me.

wayne
  • 05-17-2008
    olgluefoot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by comptiger5000

yeah, a red flag went up for me too. why are you using 26" tubes?
  • 08-03-2008
    glacierangel
    Recently someone I was riding with fell lightly, then a minute later the front tire blew out. We guessed that the tire sidewall must have torn a little on the first fall, but the blowout was very bad, because he went flying over the bars and chipped his hip and bruised his kidney.
    Check your tires after a crash so you don't get blowouts on trails!
  • 08-04-2008
    Plum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by comptiger5000

26" tubes work fine in 29" wheels. When you inflate them (out of the tire) they expand in diameter and slip in easily. I've been running a 26" tube in a 2.1 Nanoraptor for a couple years now.

$4 tires on the other hand, dunno about those. I'd guess they're tough as nails with steel beads, but maybe they're just crappy?

Plum
  • 08-04-2008
    Notorious-J
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bworks
    Hmmmmmm. Upon inspection of the tire, I noticed a section by the bead that was shredding. I thought maybe it happened during the blowout, but maybe there is a reason those tires are 3.99....

Yea, well... that'll do it. Ever hear the expression "You get what you pay for"?

A good tire is about 20-40 bucks. Mine are 30ish bucks, I think I paid for each one.
  • 08-04-2008
    Frs1661
    Happened to me on my first commute. In my case I dented to hell out of the rim, so a section of the sidewall was unsupported. About a mile later the tube went BANG. Definitely wakes you up.
  • 08-05-2008
    irongustavius
    My front tyre blew out the other day . . . upon closer inspection I had ridden over a 4 inch roofing nail, gone through the tyre, both sides of the tube and finally, the rim. Guess I should have tried to avoid it.
  • 02-08-2009
    harry2110
    Mine happened when i was going 21mph on a sidewalk luckily my tire stayed on the rim enought to offer traction that and i was on my way to a LBS and was within 400yds of it.