• 12-23-2019
    bbender785
    3 Attachment(s)
    just sharing my mtb-turned-commuter budget "build"
    living 6.5 miles from my workplace, which is almost directly connected by rails trails, i aspired to commute to work for years. logistics with kids and such has made it impossible to do with any regularity in the past, but this year things finally fell into place. riding my race bikes to work with a big backpack wasn't much fun, so i began my hunt for an older mtb to repurpose.

i found a smokin' deal on a 2005 Specialized Rockhopper; 26" wheels, rims brakes (with rear disc tabs), suspension fork, 3x8 drivetrain... a pretty standard lower-end bikeshop-caliber rig. having upgraded wheels and other components from my 29er and fatbike race bikes, i had shelves of spare parts. i sold the 26" suspension fork, wheels, and 3x8 drivetrain for more than i paid for the bike whole. fitted some stock 29" wheels from another bike, as well as some bars, seatpost, drivetrain, brakes, and other assorted small parts. bought a chinese suspension-corrected carbon fork, rear rack, fenders, some panniers, and have been accumulating appropriate tires for year-round commuting in Michigan, and viola; the perfect commuter for my circumstances, as well as a brewery/ice cream shop/general dadding bike.

it has already paid for itself times-over. it's the most basic bike in my stable but maybe my favorite, all things considered (cost, versatility, etc).

• 12-23-2019
    analoguekid
    Nice! can you post details on the fork?
  • 12-23-2019
    bbender785
    Quote:

Originally Posted by analoguekid View Post
    can you post details on the fork?

the brand is "Toseek," which i'm assuming is the same rebranded unit as a few other brands on the web. here's the actual link i bought mine from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbon...72.m2749.l2649

1 1/8" carbon straight steerer, and i went with the 475mm axle-to-crown option. i wanted all the stack height i could get to relax the riding position and steering, considering what i use it for and the fact that it had a suspension fork before. it serves its intended purpose perfectly, but i can't say i'd run it on an off-road bike, just due to the flex it has. rides nicely on the pavement though. i did have to have the brake caliper mounting surfaces faced at my LBS to get the caliper and rotor to line up.

i had fears when i was putting it together that the bb height might feel awkward with the bigger wheels, but it rides nicely, and ended up measuring in the ballpark with my XC race bike.
  • 12-23-2019
    DETarch
    Super cool, I love these kind of re-purposed builds. I'm always surprised how much fun an older MTB with an upright cockpit, rigid fork and smooth tires is.

My commute is <5 miles, but daycare drop off/pick up for my 2 kids prevents me from bike commuting with any regularity. I look forward to the day they're in school and I've got the flexibility to commute more often- mostly because it'll be an excuse to build something like this for myself!
  • 12-23-2019
    bbender785
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    ..but daycare drop off/pick up for my 2 kids prevents me from bike commuting with any regularity. I look forward to the day they're in school and I've got the flexibility to commute more often- mostly because it'll be an excuse to build something like this for myself!

this was exactly where i spent my last couple years. my wife is a teacher, and as of this year both my kids go to her school, so i'm finally off the hook for playing dad taxi. i loved and cherished those few one-on-one minutes with my son riding in the truck before and after school, but commuting by bike every day contributes to life balance for me, especially since dadding often trumps evening/weekend training rides.
  • 12-23-2019
    DETarch
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bbender785 View Post
    i loved and cherished those few one-on-one minutes with my son riding in the truck before and after school

Totally, it always seems like car rides and putting them down for bed are when they get the most talkative. Trying to keep that perspective during these early years (they're 2 & 4), knowing that I'll have a more balanced schedule down the road.

Enjoy the commute & stay warm in the next few months!