Just finished it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Just finished it

I tried to sell it, but no locals were interested and I didn't want to mess with packing and shipping across the country, so I converted it into a touring/road/commuter!

Since I converted my xc race bike to singlespeed I needed a bike for my road rides, so I turned my old 05 Jamis exile into one. I haven't done any commuting with it yet, but plan to start biking to school soon since AP tests just finished.
    I wanted bar ends so I found an old huffy POS, and used bar tape to make it comfy. I just wish it was a 29er!

PS It is a 1x9, but I left the shifter without the cables on because I like symmetry
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think the exiles are cool. You should pick up a rigid for for it to complete the look.

weirdo
    Whoa, stealth! Looks good like that, but I agree about the rigid fork. No idea what they cost though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is room in the rear triangle for 29" wheels if you keep the tires skinny and slick. Not sure what a rigid 29" fork would do to the geometry, but if it could be done cheaply, why not try?

I like big wheels on the road.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is room in the rear triangle for 29" wheels if you keep the tires skinny and slick. Not sure what a rigid 29" fork would do to the geometry, but if it could be done cheaply, why not try?

I like big wheels on the road.
    Might be able to squeeze a 700c under a Salsa Cromoto 26" rigid fork?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yea I was seriously considering doing that, and 29" wheels probably would fit, but I dont want to spend the money. The cheapest (disc) wheelset is $150, and thats WTB.

Having a xc race 29er really makes me hate the 26" wheels, they seem so small and pathetic on such as large bike (21")
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Cool re-cycling build.
    Did you purposely install the bar ends on the opposite sides of the bar (upside down) to get a different angle?
    A rigid fork will help your ride as a commuter IMO. They are not very expensive. In fact, if you sell your squishy I bet it would more than pay for a new rigid fork.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by aKore
    Having a xc race 29er really makes me hate the 26" wheels, they seem so small and pathetic on such as large bike (21")
    Seems to work for now and it looks cool? I plan on picking up a 29er HT this summer myself, but I know I'll still enjoy my 26" bike. I've rode 700c bikes before and you definitely notice the difference. I can agree with the positives of the 26" wheel though I won't 29er/700c bash either!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    Cool re-cycling build.
    Did you purposely install the bar ends on the opposite sides of the bar (upside down) to get a different angle?
    A rigid fork will help your ride as a commuter IMO. They are not very expensive. In fact, if you sell your squishy I bet it would more than pay for a new rigid fork.

OGG
    Yea the bar ends have a pretty steep angle, and right side up was too aggressive for my liking. Upside-down they better fit the contour of my hand so I can comfortably rest them and get at a somewhat lower stance, it's actually my favorite change aside from the slicks. After doing a 30 mile ride I realized I used the bar ends nearly the entire time.

The front fork locks out, and I'm really not bothered with the weight because it is meant to be a "trainer" of some sort. Plus, rigid forks are glossy black whilst the frame and many of the parts are matte black, the different lighting properties will give the bike a disproportional image because I have nothing glossy in the back half of the bike. Being an art major makes me anal about that type of stuff.
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Very Nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0