Just a couple pictures from my daily commute- Mtbr.com
    bi-winning

Just a couple pictures from my daily commute

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

weirdo
    Nice. Ontario? The last pic looks like a pretty bike-friendly highway with a nice rideable shoulder. Are they all like that around there? Do the provences take care of the highway maintenance, or is it mostly federal or local?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Nice. Ontario? The last pic looks like a pretty bike-friendly highway with a nice rideable shoulder. Are they all like that around there? Do the provences take care of the highway maintenance, or is it mostly federal or local?
    Yup, it's Ontario. I commute from Niagara Falls to St. Catharines.

The picture shows a really nice section of road, it's not all quite that good. There is a handful of paved shoulder or bike lane, but not for my entire route. However, on the roads that don't have a nice shoulder, the traffic is not too heavy, so the vehicles can often move into the oncoming lane, and give me lots of space. Some sections of road are kinda rough, but some of them are being improved. I pass through three construction zones. Still though, there are lots of roads in the area that are far from fantastic.

I'm not going to lie, I don't know a lot about how the roads are funded.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice pics man. It looks so flat, but peaceful! Is your whole commute that flat?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Nice pics man. It looks so flat, but peaceful! Is your whole commute that flat?
    Overall, the ~19km (one way) route is very flat. Just 100m decent on the way to work, and 100m of climb on the way home.

<iframe src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=fe813c42bbd7995f1105799f18855978&u =m&t=ride" height="450px" width="550px" frameborder="0"><a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/canada/on/saint-catharines/175124399338836688">Rapid City Commute</a><br/><a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/find-ride/canada/on/saint-catharines">Find more Bike Rides in Saint Catharines, Ontario</a></iframe><!-- MMF PARTNER TOOL -->

bi-winning
    I took a larger set of pictures of the route last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__

weirdo
    Some of those look familiar. Were they posted on rbr? It looks like a nice little town- a lot different from Toronto, I suppose.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Some of those look familiar. Were they posted on rbr? It looks like a nice little town- a lot different from Toronto, I suppose.
    Two of the first three were posted in my geocaching thread in the lounge, and the second set was posted last year on both RBR and MTBR, but I re-posted them in this thread, because a few posters seemed interested in the route.

I much prefer to be in Niagara Falls / St. Catharines than Toronto. Niagara Falls is seen as a tourist town, but if you stay away from the Falls themselves, it's really not a big deal. I actually took a ride by the falls a couple weeks ago. St. Catharines is a bigger city than Niagara Falls, but still nothing like Toronto. Hamilton is only an hour away, and you can drive to Toronto in about an hour and a half.

It's not a bad place to hang out.

Members who have read this thread: 0