John Kass proposes Illinois should tax the city's bicyclists.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

John Kass proposes Illinois should tax the city's bicyclists.

Kass: "The free ride is over, little bicycle people"
    Chicago Tribune columnist John Kass proposes that Mayor Rahm Emanuel should tax the city's bicyclists.

Kass: "The free ride is over, little bicycle people" -- chicagotribune.com

Discuss please. I dislike this state more and more.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Little bicycle people.. I guesss he is the big SUV guy that honks at me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmxwll View Post
    Little bicycle people.. I guesss he is the big SUV guy that honks at me.
    I sent him an email, eagerly awaiting his response. I would love it if others from this state or even other states would shoot him a quick email of their thoughts. Please be polite but let him know where you stand.

[email protected]

Digital Toast
    Yea I don't think I could be polite. So I'll take my grandmothers advice. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    When are these morons going to get it. Is it not evident to them that most cyclists also drive cars? We already pay taxes to maintain the roads. Taxing us for using a bike equates to double taxation unless they discount the vehicle taxes for cyclists. I am writing this moron a letter.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    When are these morons going to get it. Is it not evident to them that most cyclists also drive cars? We already pay taxes to maintain the roads. Taxing us for using a bike equates to double taxation unless they discount the vehicle taxes for cyclists. I am writing this moron a letter.
    thank you! I said the same thing to him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm pretty sure there's a problem when the city considers its population "a source of revenue". Governments shouldn't be looking at things and thinking "how can we get more money out of this" because governments are not for-profit entities.

Professional Nerd
    He's clearly just stirring up &@$%. The "little bicycle people" part and making fun of the "little shorts, and little helmets" is just to strike a nerve and get a reaction. He works for the freakin' Trib...

Dan

jrm
    mtbr member

What John Kass fails to agknowledge

is that man y of those "little people" own automobiles but choose to commute by bike or even, god forbid, transit.

The dumas's argument only makes any sense what so ever if this one important factor is ignored.

mtbr member
    Roadway user fees imposed on motorists don't cover the costs of roads and the balance is covered by general tax funds. Because of the type of roads cyclists use and the funding that pays for them; as well as the low costs imposed by cyclists and pedestrians on the road network and society, it is actually they who subsidize motorists. And the roads they get are built to the needs of the subsidized.
    From: TheWashCycle: Standard Responses #2: Response to "Cyclists Don't Pay for Roads"

mtbr member
    The reason for the proposed tax is all the impact and wear and tear on the streets. Not to mention the policing necessary for the lawless cycling community. It's only fair.
    "Got everything you need?"

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Plus, cycling is a vice and we need to discourage it as much as possible.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Actually the issue is that you are not driving, therefore not using gasoline and thereby depriving the government of the gas tax revenue. They have to make that up somewhere...

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Plus, cycling is a vice and we need to discourage it as much as possible.
    It`s pretty much been reassigned as an adults only activity, so we`re getting there. Just have faith and wait it out, soon they`ll have broken that last stubborn batch of kids who keep trying to bike to middle school

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    It`s pretty much been reassigned as an adults only activity, so we`re getting there. Just have faith and wait it out, soon they`ll have broken that last stubborn batch of kids who keep trying to bike to middle school
    In other words......."We would have gotten away with it too, If it wasn't for those darn kids!"
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I'm SUCH a square....
    The REAL issue is that this fool is too fat, lazy, and missing gonads to get out and pedal.

The condescending "little bicycle people" makes me want to get in his face and make him p!ss himself in fear, though.........

I'm not called a 'dangerous elf' during the holidays because I wear funny clothes......
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Um, it's Illinois dude. They're gonna screw anyone they can with taxes.

CB of the East
    Those school kids are just going to have to make a choice. Lunch money or making it through the intersection.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what a condescending prick, I'll wait a day to write him a letter because right now it would be less than polite.

CB of the East
    I think his first name was supposed to be Jack.

Natural Born Killer
    Don't forget bicycle cycling is a narcissistic pursuit done by "green" fitness freaks who love themselves so much they want to extend their lives. Why else would anybody use a bike for transportation and wear such hideous, revealing clothing?! Seriously, the dude is just a self-promoting jackwagon, unfortunately the wrong people might take his idea seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    I believe that this video provides a wonderful example of so much of what is going wrong in this country and even around the world.

Once upon a time journalists reported on the news. They provided an as unbiased as possible review of current events with minimal "analysis." All Mr. Kass is doing here is trying to make the news by making what many consider controvertial statements and using rhetoric clearly designed to pique the emotions of a certain, vocal class of citizens.

The issue for me is not so much his statements. I mean, it seems quite obvious that Mr. Kass is not a cyclist, nor will his option of cycling ever change, thus his statements are directly in line with his mentality. However, the issue I have is with his desire and need to make the news rather than report it. Is he a journalist or is he not?

It seems that when we blur the line between reporting of facts and presenting news as entertainment and empowering those reporting the news to also make the news that we have lost the very objectivity that "freedom of the press" implies. Yes, the founding fathers meant freedom from governmental interferance, but does it not concern anyone that the corporate influence is so strong, the desire for profit is so strong, that journalists feel they need to create the news?

Anyway. That's my two and a half cents. People like Kass won't change their minds in regard to this topic.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I believe that this video provides a wonderful example of so much of what is going wrong in this country and even around the world.
    Anyway. That's my two and a half cents. People like Kass won't change their minds in regard to this topic.
    I think you might be on to something here.

Why stop with bicyclists, though? What about pedestrians? There should be identical toll pass gates over sidewalks that track pedestrian mileage, and they should be taxed according to how far they walk. and there should be additional tolls for using building entrances. because sidewalks and doors are expensive, you know.

mtbr member
    Actually, given the cost of medicare/medicaid/obamacare, maybe it should be a reverse tax, you owe less the more you walk or ride.

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Actually, given the cost of medicare/medicaid/obamacare, maybe it should be a reverse tax, you owe less the more you walk or ride.

BrianMc
    Psh, what are we, reasonable people here?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Why stop with bicyclists, though? What about pedestrians? There should be identical toll pass gates over sidewalks that track pedestrian mileage, and they should be taxed according to how far they walk.
    It wouldn`t work for him. AFAIK, there aren`t internet sites galore dedicated to pedestrian issues, so nowhere for pissed off people to post links to his "little walkie people" rant and work themselves into a frenzie.

Members who have read this thread: 0