Jeans, bedazzled, bedraggled etc.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Jeans, bedazzled, bedraggled etc.

We have been talking a lot about britches in another post, so I thought I'd open up another space/ free up "how's your commute."

I'm not big on bling, my favorite jeans don't have any pocket stitching or even rivets. I would however, love some wider leg jeans with an SMV triangle on the hip pocket.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I have to say, for biking I prefer cargo shorts. Is the perfect blend of no style, increased functionality, and comfort I've always been looking for.

But for just wearing them, Levi's with the button fly are the most comfortable. Only problem: button fly. Why? I get it, zippers weren't a thing until relatively recently. But now they are. Why keep the button fly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    NDD, ever get caught in a button?

I don't wear the 501s because I can't use my pockets unless the waist is two sizes too large, my skinny brother has never been seen in anything else. Wrangler's Cowboy Cut is little better, but the narrow cuffs of both stay out of my chainrings better than my TSC no names or Carharts.

As long as the weather holds, nothing beats my kayaking shorts with zippered cargo pocket.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yeah, man. I haven't worn jeans much lately, so it's going to be a struggle to start again this winter. I noticed that here it's not that cold so my usual winter commuter clothes involves long underwear and jeans for my legs.

I presume that I'll have the same problem I've been having: waist shrinking legs growing. But yeah I used to bike in jeans exclusively last winter and it kept me cozy. The only real downside to riding in jeans is you have to roll up your right cuff. I ruined a pair of jeans or two forgetting that...Somehow I've never got caught in a button fly... I guess that's the problem with zippers.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of jeans from eddie bauer that have a bit of stretch to them and they have something like articulation built into the knees. They are awesome for on the bike.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Well that's just a great idea.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I blew out a pair of Seven For All Mankind jeans riding last year. The seat of the jeans is not meant to take the abuse of the saddle I guess because that is what gave out. I loved those, but they really didn't last. Way too damn expensive and not fixable so they got trashed. They had a lot of give in the thigh area which was a treat.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Fashion vs function is always a question.
    Duluth trading has some stretch jeans and similar work pants, fantastic for work. The gusseted crotch and stretch material makes getting in and out of the skid steer a breeze. I just always feel like I am pedaling against a spring when I wear them on the bike.
    The TSC store brand seem to be better built for the "farm boy physique." The Schmidt jeans have a wide thigh, heavy denim, and five pockets. Perfect on a cool dry morning ride. But, they will gain about 15 lbs in the rain, sucking your soul and patriotism in just a few minutes time.

Moderator Moderator
    Ripped Bodies and, Finally, Some Jeans to Fit Them
    Clothing Start-Ups Design Jeans for Muscular Athletes

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/sp...etes.html?_r=0

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I guess that's the problem with zippers.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I bet I definitely won't be able to afford those jeans. Haha. I'll just squeeze into or loop a belt around the ones I have.
    dang

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's always way too hot and humid here to wear any sort of cotton, or any other fabric that doesn't wick moisture, a couple of KM's and I would be dripping wet and sticky. Jeans would be downright nasty and chafe in the worst possible places when wet. Unfortunately padded & spandex assed and a running vest top or T are the most functional commuting clothing for our climate; even if it makes me look like a wanna be lance tosser.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Agree, cargo shorts is the BEST for commuting. However, when it was cold once - I wore a pair of zippered sweats that had the look of Justin Bieber skinny jeans...and that was the BOMB in terms of comfort, especially worn with a chamois.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    yeah u can use cargo short