I've had it up to hear with gears. Recommend me a fixed gear or single speed commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I've had it up to hear with gears. Recommend me a fixed gear or single speed commuter

Since I cannot afford my dream commuter (IGH 8-speed, disk brakes, drop bars), I decided I want to go low maintenance.

I am looking to sell my Surly Cross-Check and use the money to buy a single speed.

Only requirements:

-MUST have brakes. I'm not an idiot and I live in a town with hills and cars. (disk brake +++)
    -Drop bars
    -New in the $250-$500 range

Link me.

ride the moment
    Ummm... why don't you just spend $50 on a nice cog, a spacer kit, and new bar wrap and make your Crosscheck a singlespeed?
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Kind of looking for something completely new. I have had the cross-check frame for almost 6 years now.

I was also looking to be able to put some of the extra cash into my savings for my wedding next year.

ride the moment
    Honestly man, you've got a nice frame. At six years old, you aren't going to get more than $500 for that bike. I think you will be disappointed in the ride of a sub-$500 bike having spent all this time on the Surly. I would just get a cog. I also recommend mustache bars if you want to make the bike feel different. They're pretty awesome.
    You mentioned disk brakes... A Travel Agent will let you use v-brakes with road levers. I use them on my 700c SS and love them. They are so much easier to adjust than cantis.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

No-Brakes Cougar
    I totally agree with Dogbrain. A simple SS conversion kit will turn a great bike that you already own into the bike you really want.
    http://www.performancebike.com/webap...http:ClickInfo

or http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rsion+Kit.aspx plus http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ingleator.aspx
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    Cross Checks are awesome. Converting it to singlespeed is even easier than buying one of those conversion kits- go down the LBS, buy a dimension cog and ask if they have an extra cassette spacers. Take off your own cassette. Puts spacers and cog on. Ride.

If you decide to slap some linear brakes on your CC, you don't need a travel agent (though that might be a great option- I've never used them) as there are road levers designed to work with the cable travel in linear and mech disc brakes.

I love mustache bars. If you prefer a drop, take a look at the On One Midge bar.

mtbr member
    Keep the CC, but don't convert it and you'll save the most money. If you want one gear- don't shift

But, if you insist, watch Craigslist. Sometimes you can find great deals there. Just be sure you're not buying something hot.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I will keep everything in mind. I think I got a little ahead of myself yesterday after having a very frustrating week commuting.

So far this week:
    -bar tape shredded off from ware
    -rear wheel came out of true again (after a week)
    -brakes feel like crap (not consistent all the way around the wheel)
    -bottom bracket is roached (after many re-greasings, its super trashed from just riding in good weather)
    -shifting changes every ride. needing almost constant adjustment

Bedwards Of The West
    Parts get old. You have some trashed drivetrain parts. Don't hate shifting, hate your jacked up parts.

You could spend money on a conversion kit, or you could spend the same money on a new chain, cog, and craigslist derailleur and be good as new.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Keep the CC, it's not it's fault!!!! Or sell that peice of crap to me for cheap

Sounds like all your problems could be fixed in a few hours of wrenching (don't forget the beer!) or take it to the shop.

Seriously, turn the CC into a SSCC and you will be happier than ever. Discs are not a necessity for commuting.

mtbr member
    I know its not the Surly's fault. Parts get old. Just lame its all happening this week and when I don't have much cash to spare for repairs.

Yeah disk brakes are very appealing to me because I am a 6'1 210lb guy and cannot keep my rear wheel straight to save my life. Having brakes that don't depend on having a straight wheel would be SO nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 6'2" , 250lb and never have out of true wheel problems.
    my SS commuter had Salsa Gordo 48h with rim brakes and my geared commuter has a wheel that cost $50 complete with hub! that one can feel sketchy hitting a bump at speed but they never go out of round. you must have the worst streets ever.

I would love to have a surley cross check frame.

mtbr member
    I live in Santa Cruz CA and commute using all surface streets. Nothing overly rough thats for sure.

Right now my rear wheel is a Mavic Open Pro with a LX hub.

I also had a Sun CR17A with a Avid hub and had the SAME issue.

Not sure what the deal is, but its a pain in the ass.

No-Brakes Cougar
    When you are tightening or loosening spokes, hold on to the spoke so that it does not turn when you are turning the nipple. If it turns while you are tightening, it will eventually unwind while you are riding and undo all the work that you just did.

Check your shift cable's tension. It might be too tight.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    singlespeed is the best thing i've ever done... period.

less weight, no cables to screw with, (if you have hydro discs or hell even hydro rims)

looks cooler (IMO) WAY less cost... i have the performance bike kit (forte) and i like it, only issue i had was that the tensioner spring was a little weak... a quick trip to the hardware store fixed that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshed
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I will keep everything in mind. I think I got a little ahead of myself yesterday after having a very frustrating week commuting.

So far this week:
    -bar tape shredded off from ware
    -bottom bracket is roached (after many re-greasings, its super trashed from just riding in good weather)
    Number two and three are related- get the wheel trued and the brakes will feel better. Your spoke tension may be too loose, which would explain it constantly going out of true. It may be time to let a pro re-tension it for you. You're usually better off (financially) fixing rather than replacing a bike. Once it's working well you'll feel a lot better about it.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    singlespeed is the best thing i've ever done... period.

less weight, no cables to screw with, (if you have hydro discs or hell even hydro rims)

looks cooler (IMO) WAY less cost... i have the performance bike kit (forte) and i like it, only issue i had was that the tensioner spring was a little weak... a quick trip to the hardware store fixed that
    +1. I picked up a road ss from nashbar recently. It's lightweight, rides super smooth and the maintenance is virtually zero. I am now considering going SS on the MTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    +1. I picked up a road ss from nashbar recently. It's lightweight, rides super smooth and the maintenance is virtually zero. I am now considering going SS on the MTB.
    I could maybe sell the surly for $500-ish and bank the rest for the wedding with this one.

For financial reasons I am considering this one from the nashbar:

# Frame: 6061 aluminum
    # Handlebars: Black alloy
    # Rims: 700c Alloy aero 32hole double wall machined
    # Spokes: 14 gauge stainless
    # Brakes: Promax front/rear
    # Chainring: 48T
    # Fork: Chromo
    # Stem: Black alloy 110 mm
    # Hubs: Sealed bearing alloy, Flip/Flop rear hub
    # Cog: Fixed gear 16T
    # Crankset: Alloy 170mm

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...1_10000_201512

Put my SPD's on it and flip it to ss or fixed... seems lagit. The reviews are pretty hilarious too.

Jason
    Just a heads up... the pedals are complete crap. I didn't even bother installing them when I did the assembly. The flip flop hub is great! The model I got came with a freewheel and I'm considering putting a fixed on the other side. I just wish the hubs used skewers for quick swapping between fixed and freewheel. Unfortunately they are bolt on.

mtbr member
    Yeah I would just put my clips on rather than flap pedals. I am a clip in rider for all road riding.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Supposedly, QR skewers are not recommended for single speed because you run the risk of pulling the wheel out of place in the drop out. On reverse facing dropouts, this would result in an epic fail.

Jason
    ^^ Makes sense. Kind of makes having a flip flop a little impractical though in this case but I get it.

mtbr member
    double post

mtbr member
    Bike ordered.

I am going to give this one a shot and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work out I can take the brakes off, put it up on CL, and sell it off to some hipster for double the price.

Silly hipsters.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    ^^ Makes sense. Kind of makes having a flip flop a little impractical though in this case but I get it.
    All you need is a wrench, take off a couple of nuts and you're done brotha'. Some bikes like the white Felt SS bike come with a track nut wrench attached to the frame

Ovaries on the Outside
    A couple thoughts on the drop out debate- you could likely do QR and a chain tug and be perfect. Conversely, if you are commuting you should have a full tool kit and throwing in a 15mm isn't exactly suffering.

The reviews were despondent. What a bunch of d-bags. For 250 it doesn't seem like one can go wrong, unless you do some of the stuff the reviewers did.

mtbr member
    I will write up a review as soon as I get it and after a few rides.

Should be a lot better from a seasoned commuter / rider and not some idiot posting up a strange/bogus review.

Its supposed to be to me in 7-10 days if it gets shipped out today.

No-Brakes Cougar
    That's the problem with peer reviews; most people don't know what they're doing. "This bike sucks because I ran a red light without looking and a car hit me. Now my leg hella hurts. What a piece of crap."

mtbr member
    "Things on the bike needed to be tightened and it didn't come with tools. I rode it anyways and it was a bad bike ride. This bike sucks."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What did you do with your cross check?

Did I catch a niner+?
    I would return it and just convert your Surley. I know it's 6 years old and you where looking for something new but that is a solid frame. I actually saw a Crosscheck last night oddly locked up outside the bar, the guy was using it as a SS very nice frame and components with drop bars.

The nice thing about you using the frame that you already have is you are used to the geometry of the bike and I would imagine are quite comfortable on the saddle, it's always hard for me to get used to a new saddle. And from what I have read it's pretty cheap to convert it anyways, probably about $50 maybe cheaper with fleabay or craigslist. Heck if you are on with your LBS maybe they have some old parts you can use.

pink

mtbr member
    Still have the Surly.

I will hold onto it until I get a week or two commuting on the new rig. See if I like it enough to get rid of the Surly.

It should be here mid next week I think.

mtbr member
    I got the bike last Friday, but I was hit by that car the day before so the ride report is going to have to wait. But here is everything else:

The bike came well packaged and actually only took 1 week to get to me (less than the estimated time from their site).

After unwrapping everything I noticed the bike actually came with a single speed cassette installed as well as the fixed gear on the other side of the flip flop hub. I had talked to their chat support before ordering the bike and they said it did not come with the single speed cassette. So score.

After putting the mostly complete bike together I started liking this bike more and more. No logos, not stickers, nothing on the whole bike (with the exception of the wheelset with yellow text). This thing is a sleeper for sure. The bike also came with a chain tensioner as well (bonus).

The only thing that seams cheap on the bike were the following:
    -Brakes
    -Brake levers
    -Seat
    -Pedals

The brakes and levers have mostly plastic parts that seem pretty cheap, but for $276 shipped, I am not going to complain. The seat is not really well constructed, but again, I am not going to complain. The pedals I didn't even unwrap because I am going to slap my SPD's onto the bike anyways.

Besides some somewhat cheap components, this bike is a KILLER deal. Seriously.

I actually did a side by side comparison next to my Surly Cross-Check and the frames are almost identical. The only different I noticed was the seat tube angle on the Surly was a little more leaned towards the rear wheel.

So I feel like the change over to the new bike will be easy frame geometry wise.

More updates to come...

Cell phone picture:

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice, all black is my favorite color scheme.

Members who have read this thread: 0