Iron Cross Pro Wheelset- Mtbr.com
    Nor Cal
    Sep 2005

New question here. Iron Cross Pro Wheelset

Debating on what type of wheels to get for my new Foundry. I heard that you can't run high pressured tire but I've seen some peopele run high pressure tires with no problem. Anyone else running a high PSI (higher than 55psi) in their tires?

mtbr member
    Going over the manufacture's rated PSI is dangerous. I've seen several Stan's rims with catastrophic failure from over inflation. The Stans page recommends the ZTR Grail wheelset for your application.

If you're commuting, there is no need for high-end race parts. Parts designed for racing will not withstand the rigors of commuting.

since 4/10/2009
    Yep, I've seen rim failures from high pressure riders using Stans rims on their mtb's. I really wish I could beat those guys over the head with something when they want warranty replacement for it.

Just don't do it. If the rim has a max pressure stated anywhere, DO NOT exceed it.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Im using A23s + 35c Clement USH tires + tubes. Using tubes allows me to air down to as low as 40 psi and back upwards 80 psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The iron cross are designed in a manner that they don't handle high pressures well. Since this is in the commuting forum, I would NOT recommend them. They are a lightweight race rim and really aren't all that strong either. There are too many other, better options. There are reports of tires blowing off the rim if the max pressure is exceeded. It does well at what it was designed for but it's not a really versatile rim.

If you're looking for a commuting and racing wheel, then you may be able to get by with them but they really are light-duty wheels. I would use wider tires so you don't feel the need for higher psi's, like a 32mm slick where 50-55 psi feels fine. Their weight limits are pretty low, but you haven't listed your weight either.

If you want a tubeless wheel and plan to stick with stans, get the alpha 400 or the new grail. Both should be a fair bit stronger and handle the higher pressures much better.

mtbr member
    I had a tire blow off my Iron Cross rim at 55psi. Granted I was running it tubeless, and it wasn't a tubeless specific tire, I wouldn't do that again. Fortunately I was climbing, and not descending.

I picked up a set of Alpha wheels and run them with Hutchinson Sector 28's tubeless for winter commutes, and plan to use this for some multi-terrain races next year.

mtbr member
    Lucky it was the tire that came off and not the sidewall of the rim. Had a customer try and warranty a rim where ~1/3 of the rim's sidewall detached. His explanation: JRA and boom. When asked what psi, he replied around 60. All the mechanics had a guffaw over that one.

Also, a note on tubeless: It's not very practical for commuting. The advantages of the lower psi is somewhat moot for transportation. Not to mention, spare tubes (yes, plural) are still needed in case of flats. If you're looking for puncture protection: a properly inflated tire is the first step; use a product like True Goo; and patch kits are the bee's knees.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just a note; unless stans has changed their line, the max pressure ratings only apply to tubeless. At that point (using tubes), though, you might as well get a cheaper rim.