Internal Geared Commuters- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Internal Geared Commuters

I love the clean look of a singlespeed bike and would like to go a bit faster sometimes.

1- Should I just get a bigger chainring and grind on the uphills or go with a more ideal bike?

2- What's a good complete commuter bike with 3-speeds in the low to mid range pricing?

3- Will I end up using only the highest gear anyway as a 3-speed may have large gaps between gears?

Real experience advice preferred. Thanks.

No, that's not phonetic
    How many hills are you faced with? Do you ride mostly on flats but occasionally need to get up a short hill, or are you going up and down all day?

Experimenting with a bigger chainring is cheap. Experimenting with an internally geared hub is very expensive.

I ride a SS around town with a relatively low gear because I live in a very hilly place. I just spin on the flats and coast the downs. I have an excellent spin now.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like your response and I alluded to that thought as I was finishing up my post. I may just try putting a higher gear for my flat commute. I'm running 42:16 on 700c wheels right now.

No, that's not phonetic
    I rode a Nexus 7 speed setup for a while, but they aren't sealed well and it was not worth maintaining. I also have a Rohloff 14 but it is a boat anchor and I don't dig the shifting or reduction-gear feel that much. I just pick a SS gear that gets me up the steepest hill I hit regularly (the street I live on, in fact), and just try to be patient on the flats. I cannot integrate my self into the traffic flow effectively, however, because I would spin out long before I hit those speeds. Luckily I live in a place with very quiet side streets and short distances.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you roll light and fast 1spd is better. I find gears are only necessary for snow riding, hauling heavy loads (especially since you can't stand always stand and mash), or if you have a bike that you want to do mixed riding on. Fastish road and decent off road performance.

On my road fixed gear I have 48:17 and I have not found a hill I couldn't climb. Most faster than if I was on a geared bike. 42:16 is a good place to start if you have hills. I live in a valley so a hill climb every where I go is a way of life.

Members who have read this thread: 0