An interesting idea for integrated rack and bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

An interesting idea for integrated rack and bars

Looks like the bars are too narrow to be useful for me, but I like the idea. $200 sounds steep, but when you think about it, is probably not a terrible price. These would be great on my town beater.

https://copenhagenparts.com/products/bike-porter

mtbr member
    What about turning with some heavy weight stuff in the can? I don't like the idea of having extra weight in my handlebar.
    Sorry for my lousy English. Please feel free to point out my errors.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by galtzaiLe
    What about turning with some heavy weight stuff in the can? I don't like the idea of having extra weight in my handlebar.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Oh, my! I'm going to have to order one of these.

From the Velo Orange site - https://store.velo-orange.com/index....tabilizer.html

A couple of struts to tie the rack into the fork would probably make me feel safer about the amount of weight it could handle.

mtbr member
    I wasn't aware of those. Looks nice, anyone with one of those?
    Sorry for my lousy English. Please feel free to point out my errors.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The spring I am ordering next week some time. I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    I would not like to see such a setup on a 1" threaded classic steering tube fork. Can you say "metal fatigue" or 'theads are stress risers"? A carbo steering tube is likely another poor choice.

As to struts: a pair from the front bottom tube to the axles as long as they had a couple of bends in them to allow them to move a bit with the fork tips would be a good idea. I ran Aluminum cahneel staright and it need more flex.

As to weight: I have a Porteur style front rack mounted lower, with stabilizing spring, and 30-35 pounds becomes a handling issue if you don't have weight in panniers hanging off the rack's sides, to help lower the fron CG. With no weight in the rear like walking the bike, say, you can get the rear tire leaving the ground when you aren't in the saddle pretty easily.

With a pair of Z struts to the axle, by only comment is that the bottom shoule be lower for a better CG.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    The spring I am ordering next week some time. I'll let you know.
    I was going to make one of these, but for $10 - I am definetely buying one!

BTW, bar/rack combo is cool, but I like the option to remove my basket. Plus, my front basket is a file crate (gigantic) - which I like.

weirdo
    It`s kind of neat, but not for me. I think you`re right about the struts- should go a long way to help support the basket against all the leverage and if they had built them in originally, it would look even COOLER. Kind of hard to do it that way for production though since it would have to rely on all bikes being the same.

About the handling, it won`t be too bad with a light load. I had a porter style platform on my last commuter for a couple years (maybe an inch lower than that basket, but it was only about 8 inches deep) and it did fine with only a few pounds. When I had a 12-pack of sodas tied on there, I could definitely feel it, but still liveable. The worst part for me, which would be even more PITA with that basket, was that I sometimes bumped the corners into gate posts, rearview mirrors, etc.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    The roll-on computer bag with just laptop stuff and change of cloths is fine. The same bag full of books is starting to get quirky. A full Propane tak more so, and a 10 gallon Thermos Brand Picnic cooler full of frozen food is too much. It's all relative. But somewhere around 20-25 pounds YMMV depending on your weight and height of the basket.

Haven't had issues of hitting things with it but then I am not used ot holding a tight line on single track.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    A full Propane tak more so, and a 10 gallon Thermos Brand Picnic cooler full of frozen food is too much. It's all relative.
    A fifty pound bag of rabbit pellets also fals into the "NoGo" category- only happens once.
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0