Interesting commuting concept: "Kolelinia"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Interesting commuting concept: "Kolelinia"

From the mind of architect Martin Angelov, who presented the idea at a TEDx conference recently.

Riding your bike on a tightrope looks precarious, but Kolelinia concept looks like an actually a well thought-out and relatively safe half pipe and cable system that lets riders avoid dangerous auto traffic. Looks mostly for fair weather places. Not sure how inclement weather might affect a system like this though.

Check out the idea here: http://kolelinia.com/en/
    Kolelinia is a city fly attempt. We are born to move, this makes us alive. The transport is not only a transport, it has to be an experience! The quality of this process reflects directly on the quality of our life. Is it possible to achieve a completely new level of transportation with minimum resources?

Kolelinia is a concept for riding our own bikes on a steel wire, a new type of bicycle-lanes…

Moderator Moderator
    Hmmmm...looks like either the magical handlebar attachment or the safety device need more work! But if you're going to go with this concept, I think the cables should be downhill in both directions. Flat is boring!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Interesting, but I feel that bicycles belong on the ground. Also, I'm afraid of heights.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

I'm SUCH a square....
    Don't see that catching on, as a LOT of people are like Gary -- what's the word, acrophobic?

Heights don't bother me, but under the circumstances of this idea, I'd be nervous, too. Overbalance to one side, the h-bar device fails, and you are saved by the pelvic harness -- but your bike causes thousands of dollars in vehicle damage as it falls to its ignoble end.

I don't think so. Be fun to do that in a park, though.....

Bedwards Of The West
    Bring it on!

I don't like the lack of addressing how the handlebar attachment actually attaches to the handlebar.... it would probably need specifically designed bikes that were a permanent part of the rig to ensure any kind of safety.

I would be all over that though.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator

Whats the stuff on top??

Another idea (for the FDR in NYC) a commenter said was in the spirit of Kokelinia...but what are those armoires & beds on top? And where did they put the cars?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Another idea (for the FDR in NYC) a commenter said was in the spirit of Kokelinia...but what are those armoires & beds on top? And where did they put the cars?

Those armoires and beds are cars and trucks

Oct 2009
    Bring it on x10! You wouldn't need the handlebar attachment... only if it had sweet jumps though.

I'm guessing you'd see a pretty decent increase in deaths from a system like this... not to mention it'd probably be cheaper just to pay drivers five bucks every time they yielded for a bike instead.. or possibly a gold coin system like in mario brothers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Interesting concept...

the key word being "concept". Obviously it is only in the CAD stages of planning. But it does show some promise for problem areas. When you consider the cost of building a traditional overpass, by pass, or bridge it would likely be economincally feasable. From a safety standpoint it's a little shakey though. As noted attachment and safety systems need to be developed further. And that's where things would get dicey. A universal handlbare attachment system would have to be developed, safety netting to prevent the bike and the rider from dropping to the ground should something unforseen happen. And we haven't even touched on safety inspection and maintenance schedules, weight limitations, weather limitations, or looked at things from a liability standpoint. Good Lord! can you imagine the law suit that would follow if a rider fell off something like that!

Interesting yes, cool most certainly, practical in the real world, not so much I think. But it is a very interesting concept.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Oct 2009
    Even if this were proven to work wonderfully, it would take nothing short of a miracle (or bribe) to get politicians to support the idea.

A+ creativity!

...and some guy is going to do an endo on his bike above a huge party?

I Have Cookies
    I'd like that idea if the armoires & beds were under me.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Moderator Moderator
    The Kolelinia does look like it has more promise than the flying bathtub in his presentation.

I also enjoyed the suggested solution to passing slower bikers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Interesting commuting concept: "Kolelinia"-flyingbathtub.jpg  

Interesting commuting concept: "Kolelinia"-doubletrouble.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0