Interesting article on why Motorists sometimes don't see cyclists- Mtbr.com
    Wierdo
    Dec 2005

Interesting article on why Motorists sometimes don't see cyclists

What an RAF pilot can teach us about being safe on the road

I agree with the advice about using flashing lights day and night and riding a little further into the lane. Both of these have worked well for me.

mtbr member
    That's a good article woodway. I especially like the article link at the bottom on road positioning. How to make your next bike ride safer than the last I often consider this when riding and I don't hesitate to take the lane, most often when I need to get into the left turn lane, or as I'm approaching a traffic light. I always practice this carefully and calculated, but it still makes a cyclist feel vulnerable. There is some great information here on bike commuting! Another good article: 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them
    7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them

mtbr member
    ^ The seven mistakes is good, but remember it is written for Britain or other countries driving on the left which plays in the passing on the left issue.

Drivers here often don't stop and if they wait more than a half second to launch if any other drivers arrive, they will consider that a yield to them. The drivers are panning too fast and not doing it twice and not looking for bikes. With respect to seeing the driver is looking at you: you can also be fooled that they are looking at you when they are looking further down the road behind you. I had a close call with flashing headlight, bright clothing, and taking the lane and thinking the driver was looking at me, so the procedures lessen the chances, but do not eliminate them.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Another trip is that humans often don't see what we aren't expecting to see. There are a lot of fun little games to be played in this regard. A lot of unaware drivers will not process the information entirely and we never existed in the first place.

mtbr member
    ^ Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Cyclist!

It is how people pull out in front of Big Red Loaded Dump Trucks (triple fatality) or left hook a big Yellow & Black School Bus (single fatality). Those drivers won't do that again. I lose it if they do it to me. That has been a major concern here for me, but there are getting to be more cyclists so awareness is increasing.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    I have a blazing Cree XM-L up front, it's on strobe mode during the day.

I have had a few motorists yell at me about my light...and I just keep pedaling as the voice in my head says "Well...at least you SAW me you moron..."
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    ^ I have 2 XML's on full (about 900 lumens each) splayed out 45 degrees in the day:

URL=https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/photo0351i.jpg/][/URL]

At night, aimed straight ahead, they are very oncoming -traffic-friendly with the side output tamed with the amber shades.

Plus an triple XP-G light with a very tight aspheric lens beam of about 500 lumens. In the day it is on flash on the helmet that I can aim by looking at a driver. It has stopped several pull outs.

"Sometimes," author William S. Burroughs once said, "paranoia is just having all the facts."

I still had the Deputy-distracted driver "not see me" because he wasn't looking where he was going.

Now I understand how he managed to miss the lights or the traffic yellow jacket, thanks to Woodway.

BrianMc

I'm SUCH a square....
    Hmm, drivers don't see what they don't expect.....

Sorry, but seeing what you don't expect is kind of ESSENTIAL; EXPECTING THE UNEXPECTED should be the order of the day behind the wheel -- after all, if all a driver had to be concerned with was what's EXPECTED, there's be no need for INSURANCE!

When I was a child, I saw PSA's on TV pushing the idea, "Watch out for THE OTHER GUY". They even used the audio of a screeching stop/major fender-bender during the ads. When did we LOSE this?
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Moderator Moderator
    Interesting article. Saccade should be a household word. Would be a great unit for biology class when kids are starting to drive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    Hmm, drivers don't see what they don't expect.
    More like they don't see what they are not looking for. Ever look for something that is partly covered up and you can't see it until you look for one end or the other? We filter out the meaningless stuff for our situation or we'd be overwhelmed. In areas with few cyclists, they get away not including bikes in the search filter until you come along, There was a study of a guy in a gorilla suit in a lobby. People looking for those dressed in white did not see this gorilla-guy. Even people that were looking for those wearing black did not always see him.

So expecting to see cyclists or motorcyclists adds them to this filter. This is over and above the saccade issue.

Add those and people rolling through stop signs and not looking long enough, and you have a dangerous situation for cycling.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is also why majority of accidents happen within 5 miles of home and work. We get used to driving down those roads at certain times with certain activities happening that when something changes (new stop sign, removed stop sign, construction) accidents occur.

Members who have read this thread: 0