Intentional Hit, and Run Driver only fined $250- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Note to self: do not flick the bird at someone who is driving a powerful 2-ton vehicle in an impatient manner behind you. He may be a sociopath.

So we are left with pursuing a civil suit when the authorities wimp out (or are bought off?). At least the hit and run is confirmed. I hope the idiot's insurance skyrockets. Since leaving the scene precludes drug and alcohol tests, the penalty for that should be comparable to drunk driving and much higher than $250, or you encourage every drunk to run.

guy
    Brian hit the nail on the head. The penalty for a hit and run needs to be much harsher, at least equivalent to DUI.

mtbr member
    Leaving the scene to avoid a DUI charge has got to be the worst-kept secret in town.

Driver in unusual hit-and-run death walks free after police mistake - Toronto - CBC News

When a driver actually remains on the scene these days the media mention it like it's some sort of heroic act, and I guess give the above scenario it kind of is.

As for if flipping the bird actually makes assaults more likely... maybe, but not always.

I've had abusive drivers who I ignored fly into a rage, since they must have thought I was deaf-by-Ipod or something and really didn't know they were there screaming at me. Car swerving followed.

When I finally barked something back at them, I guess they became smug in the knowledge they had finally pissed me off and drove away.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    ^ I hope the father can find a pro bono lawyer for a civil case. Maybe a suit against the polices for mishandling the case while he is at it.

mtbr member
    $250 is about 250% more than most get charged with in NY. Usually, it's, "No criminality suspected."

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Guess the city really isn't too concerned about "Vision Zero", seems like a road rage assault should be pursued a bit more forcefully.