Inspection after crash- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Inspection after crash

As I mentioned in another thread, I crashed after slipping on a recessed trolley rail about a week ago. I took a week off heal, and probably this week also.

The damage on my bike is that the drive side bar end plug is badly abraded and on the non-drive side abrasions on end of the pedal, QR skewer, and saddle. Saddle is abraded but not all the way through so it looks still usable. The bar end plug I think I'm just going to smooth out with a file or my Dremel tool.

Brakes and shifting seem to work fine

Anything else I need to take a look at before I go riding again? It doesn't look like the frame struck the ground. I rode the bike home about 1 mi after the crash, albeit, slowly so at the minimum it's usable...

Wanderer
    If it is shifting fine, your wheels are not wobbling and no new squeaking then you should be fine.

Bikes are pretty tough and should have some scrapes thus stories to tell.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread, I crashed after slipping on a recessed trolley rail about a week ago. I took a week off heal, and probably this week also.

The damage on my bike is that the drive side bar end plug is badly abraded and on the non-drive side abrasions on end of the pedal, QR skewer, and saddle. Saddle is abraded but not all the way through so it looks still usable. The bar end plug I think I'm just going to smooth out with a file or my Dremel tool.

Brakes and shifting seem to work fine

Anything else I need to take a look at before I go riding again? It doesn't look like the frame struck the ground. I rode the bike home about 1 mi after the crash, albeit, slowly so at the minimum it's usable...
    good time to wash the frame up and check for cracks dings (paint scraps if steel).

weirdo
    End cap, skewer, saddle, and pedal cap: nothing in there that I worry about on my own bikes. Fix or replace any of it if it bothers you, but it doesn`t sound like it`s going to hurt anything.

What Toff and Jeff said about the rest. A bent hanger is probably the most likely possibility for any damage that really needs to be fixed. If it did get bent, you`ll know when you try to ride it and the chain rides off the ends of your cassette or won`t line up right with the sprockets.

Moderator Moderator
    Sounds like it made out OK. I assume the bars still point the wheel straight? Hope you are healing up OK, and I'm glad that at least there were no trolley tracks on you or the bike.

If it were someone else's fault,like a car hit you, I would say take it in to check frame & fork alignment, etc., because someone else might pay for the fix, but in your case if it rides fine I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The bike is aluminum frame with carbon fork. Frame and fork look fine; undamaged by the crash. The bars and wheels seem to be aligned correctly and there is no noticeable wobble.

Only thing that bothers me is the end plug because it's quite rough and I don't want to grab it by accident. I'm just going to smooth it out.

Thanks for the help. Hoping to get back on the road next week. Hopefully all this gloomy weather will have passed also. Can't believe it's been raining in June.