Independence Day Freedom Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Good job! Independence Day Freedom Ride

I only have a couple more months left in Germany before I transfer, so I'm trying to cram as many miles in as I can before I transfer. Last week I completed a 117.5 mile ride from Stuttgart to Heidelberg. As soon as I made it back home, I began to think about where I was going to ride to next. Using 100 miles as my travel radius I thought to myself, "Were can I ride that will be as cool as my Heidelberg ride?" Then after starring at the map for a few minutes it hit me, "I'll ride to France!"

I'm going to attempt the ride on Saturday, July 3rd because it is a long weekend for me and that'll give me a couple of days to recover if necessary. I'm calling it my Independence Day Freedom Ride because it will be Independence Day weekend and the Freedom Ride part is a play on how some people choose to call "french fries", "freedom fries".

I know that this thread is kind of premature, but I'm also using it as a place marker for my ride report once I complete the ride (or fail miserably). Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Solomon76; 06-03-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I couldn't wait for Independence Day

Forget the whole "Independence Day" part of the Freedom Ride because I actually made the trip yesterday. I literally made up my mind that I was going to go about 8am on Sunday morning and I was out of my front door just before 10am Sunday morning.

My plan was to ride from Stuttgart, Germany to Lauterbourg, France. Then ride back across the border to Karlsruhe, Germany and catch the train from Karlsruhe back to Stuttgart.

Overall it was a great ride. The weather was wonderful during the ride. It didn't start raining until I got on the train to come home. Below are a few of the photos I took during the ride.

Here are links to the GPS data and the rest of the photos I posted online.
    GPS data: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/35953003
    Photos: https://s201.photobucket.com/albums/...20Lauterbourg/
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

weirdo
    That`s groovin, Solomon! Did you end up crossing the border? I can`t tell from these pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    <iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='https://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/35953003'></iframe>
    Yes rodar, I crossed over into France. Lauterbourg is the first French town inside the North Eastern corner of France. I was expecting to see some kind of sign saying that I crossed into France, but the only way to tell that I crossed the border is that the French traffic signs look different from the German ones. After spending a couple of hours in France, I crossed back over the border and caught the train from Karlsruhe to Stuttgart. Now I have to figure out where I'm going to ride over the Independence Day weekend. If you get a chance, check out all of the photos I uploaded from the ride at the following link: https://s201.photobucket.com/albums/...20Lauterbourg/
    Last edited by Solomon76; 06-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    I was expecting to see some kind of sign saying that I crossed into France, but the only way to tell that I crossed the border is that the French traffic signs look different from the German ones.
    Amazing that they can survive without a Department of Homeland Security
    I did click up your map, but wasn`t sure if that line was the border. Glad you had a nice ride- looking forward to seeing what you come up with for next month. Maybe a two dayer? I`m sure you could stuff enough in your trunk bag for a hotel tour.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    rodar, I would like to do a two dayer. I would love to take a week off of work and do a week long/500+ mile ride through Germany, France, Switzerland, and Austria. I have more than enough cycling gear (pannier bags, trunk bag, camelbak, etc.) to make it happen. However, I don't know if my wife's liberty leash is that long. If I'm not home before the street lights come on, I have to hear about for the next few days. I'm sure that someone else can relate (I hope so anyway).

If I were single and independently wealthy, I'd just ride my bike all over the world for a year or so.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    That was a heap of bikes at the swimming pool, but good weather + weekend brings everyone out.

From your mentioning the time limitations your wife/family have on the length of your trip. Would taking a train to start with or even a round-trip fare expand the possible variety of doing something you didn't think was within range?
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That is how the outside of every swimming pool here in Germany looks during the summer from my experience. Even large factories like the Mercedes plant here have an enormous amount of bikes parked in their lot. If I have a camera the next time I ride past the Mercedes plant, I'll make sure to take a picture so everyone can see what I'm talking about. The cycling culture over here is so much different than in the states. That is why I'm going to miss it so much once I have to leave in a few of months.

I do think that I'm going to catch the train somewhere and ride back home for my next trip. That will give me a chance to do some riding South of where I live. If I try to ride too far South, I'll run into a bunch of mountains. I don't mind climbing, but I'm talking about actual mountains (not hills). I'll take a look at the map and the train's web site to figure out where I'm going to go next.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Members who have read this thread: 0