Im starting to hate driving- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Im starting to hate driving

Had to drive today, got a meeting across town. I feel annoyed and agitated. Driving takes 20-40 minutes of bumper to bumper, cut offs and full stops on roadways. Watching the same light turn green multiple times.

Takes me 30 minutes to bike, a nice bike. I ride threw parks, over a river, love it. Can even ride along the river on dedicated mountain bike/ hiking trails.

Driving just annoys me now, i leave safe braking distances and just get cut off constantly. Hate it.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    I have been there for about 20 years. The roads suck. Any arsehole can get a license and then drive like an arse. And since the roads suck people are even more arseholeish than they would otherwise be. Add that they feel safe in their cars and the areseholeness goes thru the roof. But we are so deep into our car culture that change will come slowly at best. Good luck!
    "...the virus is all part of the plan to take down the cabal, man! The Bushies, and the oBamas. On the reals!" - anonymous

mtbr member

Join the club. I sold my truck and have become a utilitarian cyclist. I rarely ride for recreation, but I bike wherever I have to go, unless it's all 5 of us, then it's the minivan. I'm starting to think that cars should be regulated in a much stricter sense. If people behaved in the grocery store the way they do on the roads, we would lock them up in a heartbeat.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

since 4/10/2009
    sometimes I do see people behaving that way in the grocery store.

mtbr member
    I still enjoy driving in general when there's no traffic, but commuting to work, I would taking my bike any day. I live in the epitome of suburbia and unfortunately it's just not designed for cycling in any way shape or form, so it's just SO inconvenient to ride to stores, appointments, etc, that I rarely do.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    sometimes I do see people behaving that way in the grocery store.
    Same here. Unfortunately.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

since 4/10/2009

Re: Im starting to hate driving

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Same here. Unfortunately.
    The grocery store across the street has a police officer on duty there 24/7 because of it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mtbr member

The grocery store across the street has a police officer on duty there 24/7 because of it.

We should restrict grocery stores...

since 4/10/2009

Re: Im starting to hate driving

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    We should restrict grocery stores...
    Or at least the people who enter them. Mandatory DNA scans and background checks for all who wish to enter!

mtbr member

Or at least the people who enter them. Mandatory DNA scans and background checks for all who wish to enter!

Like Sam's Club, with just a touch of oppressive dictatorship.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You guys are just STARTING to hate driving and shopping

Born With A Tail
    Cars make people brave. Cycling makes me humble.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm the same way. I hate having to drive now. I'm doing pretty good weening myself off of the car. The sad thing is Rochester is an 1800's city that got buttf$%cked by urban renewal, so its a mix of walkable/bikeabale with car oriented building overlaid in many parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I too drive in sometimes because of meetings I have to get to. I have often thought that I should bike in and take a cab to my meetings. Unfortunately, cabs are unreliable in New Orleans.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm more apt to commute when my workday involves staying around the older parts of town, and less apt to commute when I have to venture into the more recent suburbia.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I drove yesterday and I hated it. For me, it is the opposite, the commute to work is doable by bike easily, the rest of my stuff really isn't unless I ride the sidewalks, and I just hate doing that. I don't have a bike that will haul all of my groceries, so I drive. I have a new respect for cyclists and commuters after becoming one.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I drive on the weekend or to-from the rail station in bad weather other wise its ride or take the bus. My transportation costs are thru the floor and i like it

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Gonna give up the car as soon as I sell my current one. Cycling may take a bit longer but the scenery and fresh air is unbeatable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got a parking ticket last month on the one day a month I have to drive to work due to time restrictions. I was out of my routine of not paying to park (normally riding the bike) and having to take the car!

NDD
    mtbr member
    I'm trying to get to the point where I don't have to drive anymore. Still have to drive one day a week for work errands. Have to drive some days because of doing a favor for somebody. Also haven't really figured out the best way to commute from doing research in the morning without using a car since I started that this month. I feel like maybe my commutes in cars this month through the end of summer and beginning of fall semester might just suck. Starting fall semester I can bike everyday except for one, I think, and that'll be a relief.

I hate driving a car and my car always has problems. The or four cam position sensors in the last year and a half, batteries, belts, deer collisions. How much money I'd save by not using that thing. The fuel. Horrible! Leave it to jeep to make a car that gets 18mpg after 2005. Stupid. $45 a week I'd rather spend on bikes or food.

mtbr member
    ^^ About $2250 a year. Could be worse. I had a 1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina from 1976 to 1979 and it cost $3750 a year to keep on the road in todays money. Only put 40,000 miles on it. Italian mistress. When she was gout, she wasa bery, bery gout, an' when she wasa bad zatis broke, I wasa broke too. Watcha goin' ta do? She make me smile!

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^^ Haha, that's really great and awful. $2250 is quite a bit of dough when you make less than $10,00 per year and have to pay college tuition, too. And that doesn't include the fixes I've had done with it, insurance, oil changes, or weeks that I do extra driving.

The point is this: with the money I spend on having a car, I could have a brand new, very nice bike or two every year. Therein lies the problem. I need to simplify my life, but it's hard in the sprawling midwest burbs. which are designed on the premise that everybody owns their own car, doesn't have to share it, and can't easily rely on other modes of transport. It's goofy and unreasonable. I'll just wait until it's too expensive to drive unless you make $75,000 a year or more so the roads can clear out, and then I'll have the roads. I think it'll get there quick enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    ^^ Haha, that's really great and awful. $2250 is quite a bit of dough when you make less than $10,00 per year and have to pay college tuition, too. And that doesn't include the fixes I've had done with it, insurance, oil changes, or weeks that I do extra driving.

The point is this: with the money I spend on having a car, I could have a brand new, very nice bike or two every year. Therein lies the problem. I need to simplify my life, but it's hard in the sprawling midwest burbs. which are designed on the premise that everybody owns their own car, doesn't have to share it, and can't easily rely on other modes of transport. It's goofy and unreasonable. I'll just wait until it's too expensive to drive unless you make $75,000 a year or more so the roads can clear out, and then I'll have the roads. I think it'll get there quick enough.
    Chrysler made vehicles from 2005 aren't really known for their reliability. If you don't like driving, I would recommend selling your Jeep and picking up a Corolla or Civic. You'll get almost 2x the gas mileage and have fewer repairs. You could probably cut that $2250 in half.

Driving IS expensive, and getting moreso. Cars get more expensive every year due to a combination of consumers demanding more and more comforts and features and new government regulations. Soon all cars are required to have rear-view cameras. Imagine how much cheaper cars would be with no ABS, no traction control, no airbags, no emissions controls. I'm not saying I necessarily think that should be the case, just that it's getting expensive. Gas prices have averaged about the same price for several years now, but it's still a lot more than it was 15 years ago. When I got my license it was $.99 and within a couple years it started to creep up and hasn't let up. It's scary to think about how much we spend on cars in our lives.

EDIT: I just calculated how much I spend a year between a car payment, gas and insurance. I want to throw up. It's about $8000. And that doesn't include my wife's car or depreciation, maintenance, down payments. Ugh.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yeah, it just sucks. To top it off, I'll find out tomorrow if my car has a computer problem or not. I can't afford that. Not with what I've already paid on it.

On the bright side, my brother says cyclists are from the future. They use low energy transport, eat energy rich goo, wear helmets everywhere, and have special really tight fitting outfits. He's on to something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Yeah, it just sucks. To top it off, I'll find out tomorrow if my car has a computer problem or not. I can't afford that. Not with what I've already paid on it.

On the bright side, my brother says cyclists are from the future. They use low energy transport, eat energy rich goo, wear helmets everywhere, and have special really tight fitting outfits. He's on to something.
    So, we're kind of like the Jetsons.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yeah, but also like the Flintstones, because we travel on foot powered vehicle, I guess. Maybe it's more disappointing than that. Maybe it's like Solar Babies without magic. Is that what you want from life? Poorly written action films with half hearted environmentalist messages?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    What I love about bikes is there isn't much to go wrong. For what I spend to insure, gas and maintain my car I could buy a few nice bikes a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    What I love about bikes is there isn't much to go wrong. For what I spend to insure, gas and maintain my car I could buy a few nice bikes a year.
    It just cost me over $300 to replace the HID light bulb in a car. I have about that much in all my bike lights. My second car only cost $50 to buy, or $220 in todays money!

mtbr member
    I still drive and don't mind driving when I need to, but I much prefer riding my bike to work, shop, run errands, or visit family. When I'm riding to or from work and see a long line of cars w a iting to go I think "suckahs" as I ride past. Hehe.

But sometimes I'm the sucker

mtbr member
    Between the gawking tourists, the incontinent elderly, the stupid inbred rednecks and selfish self-absorbed locals (there's a certain group that I'm really speaking of but don't want to offend too many) driving where I live is an exercise in patience and self-flagellation. I do it when I have to, but don't enjoy it.