I'm starting to commute and need a bag- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I'm starting to commute and need a bag

Hey guys I've started doing a lot more commuting of late on my bike and I'm in dire need of a good bag. The issue is i cant find one which is going to take my 15inch macbook pro a medium bike lock and if at all possible a helmet for a reasonable price. Even the bigger hydration packs ive looked at just wont take the laptop and sadly student funds right now dont allow something along the lines of a Boblbee. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bedwards Of The West
    I use a North Face 'Slingshot' backpack, and it meets all of the above requirements easily. I got it at (here we go again) a REI garage sale for 15 bucks, but I think it's around $40 new.

I'm not a big messenger bag fan, but I see them a lot on steepandcheap.com... Chrome and Timbuk2 are the brands to look for.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I'm not a big messenger bag fan, but I see them a lot on steepandcheap.com... Chrome and Timbuk2 are the brands to look for.
    Banjo Brothers is a far superior product IMO. $80 gets you a large, PVC coated (100% waterproof) bag that comes with a laptop sleeve. I can carry my 15in Dell Inspiron in there along with a thermos, lunch, and a jacket. Mine is starting its fourth Oregon winter.

If it doesn't need to be waterproof just go get a backpack.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I roll with some water proof nashbar panniers and put my messenger bag, text books, lap top, lunch items and extra cloths in them. 25 bucks on nashbar. I'm going to need to modify them a little to be more secure on the rack, they are definetly made for smooth road riding ( not my commute). But otherwise they have been dry on a couple of rainy days, and they keep the back from getting too sweaty.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    Banjo Brothers is a far superior product IMO.

I don't know the first thing about chrome or timbuk2...those are just the two I see on steepandcheep.com. Never seen Banjo Bros on there... I've heard good things about all 3 companies though. I have no personal experience with any of them.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    as far as fit and finish, i think chrome is the nicest, but you're also paying a good bit of the name and the hipster-mess of it. i have a timbuk 2 but it was on a huge sale, and the banjo bros stuff i've seen is pretty solid but not a stand out, but i've mostly seen their seatpacks.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've heard about laptops being messed up by being in panniers - the shocks can be pretty bad, and laptop hard drives aren't really designed for that. A backpack or messenger bag seems to be preferable - unless you fall, your body will insulate a lot of the shock and vibration from reaching the laptop.

Don't skimp on the messenger bag. I think that having a waterproof liner is really important - fabric that's been treated isn't really enough.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0