Idiot City and Bike Consultant- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Idiot City and Bike Consultant

New bike lane on 10th Street N.W. causes traffic snarls

So Vivian Stieda some advocate from the states ends up in Calgary and converts a major artery to bike commuting.....Okay fine.

Fact is the thing is a death trap, requiring cyclists to interact with traffic and indeed slow down traffic (road rage causing).

Well thats okay I guess, but it is a pilot project, and they just started the thing up...what a month before our first big snow dump, and after the mornings are frosty...

Only bikers out there now are hardcore, they ain't gonna convince anyone new to ride for 6 to 7 months.

This bike lane is actually my shortest route downtown....I will not be riding it my longer route is safer, quieter, less polluted, more relaxing and probably a little faster due to the shorter route crossing so many large avenues with long stop lights......geez

Lose Vivian Stieda.

mtbr member
    ^ any idea if they're planning on clearing this lane in the winter, which might be why they opened it now? Edmonton just put in a few new lanes, with the claim that they will actually be given clearing priority. I'll believe that when I see it, since the current lanes are never cleared at all and usually aren't even swept clean of winter crud until June.

I wish I could find a map of the new lanes here, because one of them is terrible. Basically they fit it onto this street but they left the sidewalk bulbs in place, along with some onstreet parking.

So one block is a dedicated lane.
    The next block is sharrows with one of these

The next block is sharrows with one of these instead (because drivers love paying attention to signs every block)?

Then it's back to a dedicated lane for a block and so on.

Over a 10 block stretch I think there are 6 different types of lane. It's ridiculous, and not something I'm going to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The road gets already priority clearing so I doubt that will change. The trouble is they clear the road to the side (but Calgary does not pick up the snow) , and the side walk to the road...

So guess what happens to the bike lane.....big pile of snow.

mtbr member
    Ah ha, I found the "helpful" map:

Along with an examples of the problems:

(photos from a post at thecharette.ca)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah exactly the biker death traps....

Stick something in the middle of the road call it a traffic calming devices then force bikers to ride into traffic just for the hell of it...

From a bikers point of view, just put the dividing bump between the cars and the biker....

Geez what a bunch of fools.

since 4/10/2009
    wtf?

screw those "bike lanes"

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Ah ha, I found the "helpful" map:

Along with an examples of the problems:

(photos from a post at thecharette.ca)
    I'm glad they cleared that up with the diagrams.

mtbr member
    10th Ave SW is the "dedicated bike lane" portion of my ride. Its the "watch the parked cars and dart into passing traffic to avoid getting doored" Share the Road stretches. Now grooved and waiting repavement.

Want dedicated lanes? Get rid of the parking and separate us from traffic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    New bike lane on 10th Street N.W. causes traffic snarls

So Vivian Stieda some advocate from the states ends up in Calgary and converts a major artery to bike commuting.....Okay fine.

Fact is the thing is a death trap, requiring cyclists to interact with traffic and indeed slow down traffic (road rage causing).

Well thats okay I guess, but it is a pilot project, and they just started the thing up...what a month before our first big snow dump, and after the mornings are frosty...

Only bikers out there now are hardcore, they ain't gonna convince anyone new to ride for 6 to 7 months.

This bike lane is actually my shortest route downtown....I will not be riding it my longer route is safer, quieter, less polluted, more relaxing and probably a little faster due to the shorter route crossing so many large avenues with long stop lights......geez

Lose Vivian Stieda.
    The article you linked too quotes her as saying
    Cycling advocate Vivian Stieda said community members weren’t notified of the change, but noted that the incomplete lane markings were “very confusing.”

“They didn’t talk to cyclists, they didn’t talk to the community. They just went ahead and did it,” said Stieda, who also drives 10th Street almost daily to work.

“I just don’t think it was very thought through.”
    So is she the one with the idea and is just unhappy with the execution or what?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    10th Ave SW is the "dedicated bike lane" portion of my ride. Its the "watch the parked cars and dart into passing traffic to avoid getting doored" Share the Road stretches. Now grooved and waiting repavement.

Want dedicated lanes? Get rid of the parking and separate us from traffic!
    Yeah I come east on 10 ave sw every morning....I grab the car lane about 1/2 the time..

So now they put in traffic lights a 14 st sw, and seem to have eliminated the bike lane.

Want a good pilot project, rebuild the bike lane on 10 ave by extending the side walk into a mut lots of room.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    The article you linked too quotes her as saying

So is she the one with the idea and is just unhappy with the execution or what?
    Not clear but there it is in spades she DRIVES in on 10th street every day???

Actually I am pretty certain that the traffic planning section is headed by a guy that bikes in everyday...

He has been quoted that bikes are not the solution to traffic in Calgary...

He is probably right given our winter.