The Idaho Stop?- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Idaho Stop?

mtbr member

The Idaho Stop?

Sheesh, I do the California Stop all the time.

Nice article on merits of having different rules for cyclists.

mtbr member
    Very true. One reason I feel like it's a lot safer to roll through a stop sign is because it's quicker to get up to speed. If I stop, put my foot down, it takes me much longer to get moving then if I roll through. I usually do the Idaho stop at stop signs unless I have to stop. I never just blow through stop signs. I only run red lights if there's nobody around and the light likely won't know I'm waiting there.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I just stop. It's not that hard. If I want to be treated like a car I figure I should act like a car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I just stop. It's not that hard. If I want to be treated like a car I figure I should act like a car.
    How many cars actually stop at stop signs? The vast majority I see roll right on through.

mtbr member
    I don't think I've seen any type of vehicle come to a full stop at a stop sign so far this year.

Unless they were yielding to a vehicle already at the intersection.

And a lot of them have trouble with that too.

Coming to a full stop so they can quickly type a few words of their text message doesn't count.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    In Oregon, cars actually do stop at stop signs, but I still want to have an Idaho stop law enacted and the Oregon sidepath law repealed. I roll stops when I can get away with it because I don't want to waste momentum, and I want to clear intersections as fast as possible.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    How many cars actually stop at stop signs? The vast majority I see roll right on through.
    I would bet that if you were to take a wide sample you would see that most people come to an "acceptable" stop. I feel most laws are written strictly so that their lax enforcement leads to an acceptable result.

Still, my view is that if we want the privilege of road use we have to accept the restrictions that come with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Pretty much how I ride now anyways, stops are yield signs and red lights are stop signs. I treat red lights as red lights when riding in heavy traffic to avoid driver hate.

Moderator Moderator
    I stop at all reds until they are green, unless it won't turn green, and then I call to report it, as our roads should be bike-legal. I only have zero (way in) or 2 (way home) stopsigns, and I stop or pause as long as most cars.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I stop at all reds until they are green, unless it won't turn green, and then I call to report it, as our roads should be bike-legal. I only have zero (way in) or 2 (way home) stopsigns, and I stop or pause as long as most cars.
    Indiana just passed a "dead red" law that permits motorcycles and bicycles to treat red lights that won't change as stop signs. You have to stop for 2 minutes to be legal, but that law will go into effect sometime this summer.

When it comes to stop signs, how I treat them depends on the situation.

mtbr member
    ^ There already was a law in Indiana that let drivers treat a malfunctioning light as a stop sign. A light that does not register a bike or motorcycle is malfunctioning. The new law just saves having to explain it in front of a judge if the officer wasn't amenable to that interpretation of malfunctioning. I know one light that won't respond to my bike, and it responds in a minute and a half to my car. Usually I have to wait another 30 seconds for traffic to clear. I don't think local law enforcement will time it that close, but it does mean that you have to wait to see if it will respond even though you know the light is still malfunctioning.

mtbr member
    I live in Idaho, so now my rolling stops is legal. I like it.