I sweat... alot, help?

Printable View

• 10-24-2009
    AlexJK
    I sweat... alot, help?
    i ride my bike to school and by the time i get there my shirt is soaked... it's nasty.

i don't have to ride that hard either, it's mostly downhill, but i still sweat.

My problems: No time to cool down, no place to shower, cold as fock in uptown and pretty warm downtown (theres a hill that goes from UT to DT and the temperature difference is somtimes as high as 20 degrees) school is downtown, my backpack rests on my back and makes it sweat a ton.

the ride is only a few miles... and even when i'm out on the trail, i'm the sweatiest guy out there. and i HATE it! not because i'm the sweatiest but because i HATE being soaked so damn early in a ride
  • 10-24-2009
    Flystagg
    You have to plan on getting there a least 5-10 minutes early to give yourself a enough time to cool off and change your shirt. I don't start sweating until I stop riding, then its profuse. I use the old shirt to towel off then throw on the new one, and invest in some very good antiperspirant/deodorant, and maybe some body spray to go with it. Find a relatively private bathroom on campus, I find splashing water on my face helps cool me down quicker as well.
  • 10-24-2009
    AlexJK
    Well another problem is that it's REALLY hard to time when i get there, it all depends on traffic (about 5,000 people trying to get across a 4 lane overpass within 2 hours... it's a mess)

i'm also allergic to almost all antipersperants... i think it's that aluminadisulfide or whatever it's called... i get a NASTY rash that won't go away for a week.

do you know of any good backpacks that vent really well? i like my suede bottom jansport though... only one that has lasted me more than a year (and it's still going strong!!)
  • 10-24-2009
    Flystagg
    Go for panier bags, and ride with nothing on your back. Ride in a mountain bike jersey then change when you get there. Saying you can't get there early is bull, you just sleep too much, if you leave early enough you will always be early.
  • 10-24-2009
    AlexJK
    hmmm... i'll look them up!

and i'm 15, i like my sleep :D but seriously though, i can get there early but i'd have to leave when it's still dark and even then it's a shot in the dark, i mean i have a friend that rides a bit farther than i have to and he rides HARD and he does sweat but nowhere near as much as i do
  • 10-24-2009
    Flystagg
    Ha I get it, how har is your commute btw, I'm only going about 7 miles and that's plenty to get the sweat flowing.
  • 10-24-2009
    AlexJK
    well, i looked at those bags, and i just so happen to ride a Transition Vagrant hardtail DH/FR bike... haha, i don't think they would work too well, anything else?

lol this might be more of a PITA than i thought
  • 10-24-2009
    AlexJK
    my commute is about 4 miles, and the biggest climb is only 30 feet over 500 feet of road then it's all downhill or flat
  • 10-24-2009
    Flystagg
    they make some panier mounts that clamp right onto your seatpost, they work alright as long as you don't try to carry more than about 20 lbs in there.
  • 10-24-2009
    AlexJK
    oh! cool! i'll look into it! thanks!!
  • 10-25-2009
    krott5333
    take care of yourself. seriously. Most people take better care of their cars than they do their own bodies.

Drink lots of filtered water (no fluoride) well water, a Berkey with the PF2 or PF4 filters or a reverse osmosis system will do it
    Eat lots of protein and COMPLEX carbs (oatmeals, whole grain, whole wheat, non-white bread [ezekial bread is awesome])
    fruits and veggies
    whats from the earth is of the greatest worth!
    if you cant pronounce it, dont eat it!

if you follow those rules... you'll feel great, and stop sweating like a dirty pig
  • 10-25-2009
    njcoppola
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krott5333
    take care of yourself. seriously. Most people take better care of their cars than they do their own bodies.

Drink lots of filtered water (no fluoride) well water, a Berkey with the PF2 or PF4 filters or a reverse osmosis system will do it
    Eat lots of protein and COMPLEX carbs (oatmeals, whole grain, whole wheat, non-white bread [ezekial bread is awesome])
    fruits and veggies
    whats from the earth is of the greatest worth!
    if you cant pronounce it, dont eat it!

if you follow those rules... you'll feel great, and stop sweating like a dirty pig

I can't pronounce "Ezekial"!
  • 10-25-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    I feel you man, I sweat like mad as well. A lot of daypack-style Camelbacks have vented backs, there are probably other packs that do that as well. A messenger bag is another option if you don't want to go with panniers. You can pick up a wicking undershirt like runners wear inexpensively. I wear one on long rides because it's more like a t-shirt and I'm not big on jerseys. Basically, any time you raise your heart rate, you're going to start sweating. It's inevitable.
  • 10-25-2009
    Mr Pink57
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11064445
    Here is a cheap shirt option, I use these exclusively when I commute/mountain bike.

Also it does not help that you ride a bike that probably weights in the high 20lbs area. And maybe some slick tires to reduce rolling restistance and that means less work for you. Or you could even get a el cheapo from craigslist to get you from A to B.

pink
  • 10-25-2009
    Sizzler
    I sweat something fierce! One time I was so sweaty when I got to school that I just skipped class because it looked like I had peed through my shorts and taken a shower with my shirt on. That's when I knew it was time to get some panniers and bring an extra pair of undies with me whenever I rode. You also have to start wearing clothes that hide the sweat, like dark jeans, black sweats and white shirts. Khaki is your enemy! Take solace in the fact that you are expelling nasty stuff that gets stored up in sweatless people. Just be sure to drink water to replace what you lose!
  • 10-25-2009
    AlexJK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizzler
    I sweat something fierce! One time I was so sweaty when I got to school that I just skipped class because it looked like I had peed through my shorts and taken a shower with my shirt on. That's when I knew it was time to get some panniers and bring an extra pair of undies with me whenever I rode. You also have to start wearing clothes that hide the sweat, like dark jeans, black sweats and white shirts. Khaki is your enemy! Take solace in the fact that you are expelling nasty stuff that gets stored up in sweatless people. Just be sure to drink water to replace what you lose!

i've also skipped class because of that :(

lol and my bike weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 lbs... i could probably drop a good pound by switching the back tire out... it's a tank! but i love my back tire, it works flawlessly in adobe.

and thank god i was brought up eating healthy food, only time there is soda in the fridge is when i'm sick, and even then it's just perrier, which i'm fine with.
    Multi grain bread is all i'll eat... i just don't like white bread. well, actually, i do like potato bread :D
    and i like soymilk over cow milk...it tastes better and i'm lactose intolerant :)

i just picked up a bunch of those shirts, i'm deffinatly gonna try them out!

thanks for the help!