I should have commuted!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I should have commuted!

I donít commute much for multiple reasons and one of them is at this time of year where I live itís dark & cold. Both of which I can deal with (to a point) but Iím afraid to ride this one section of road in the dark. I have enough troubles in the daylight with idiots that have too many other things to do while driving besides paying attention to DRIVING.

Last night I saw todayís forecast, dry and unseasonably warm. I thought this would be a perfect time to try a dark commute. Then I thought about that 2-3mile section of road that is unlit with good bit traffic. I didnít have any cloths at work so I chose to drive in. Yea, I know Iím making poor excuses to leave the bike in the garage. But safety is my #1 concern. I hardly never see anyone commuting on any giving day let alone this time of year. But this morning of course I see one. It was then that I realized that I made the wrong decision.

OK, Iím done. Just wanted to express my feeling to people that understands where Iím coming from. I feel better nowÖÖ.ok, not really but itís going to have to do.
    °uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ °°°pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There's always tomorrow.

weirdo
    Since you have saftey concrens for the conditions, I`d say it was a good call. If you don`t have lights, that gives you a good excuse to buy more bike stuff!

Can`t say for sure, but I think that annual ebb and flow in riding level is pretty natural, maybe even beneficial.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I liked riding during this past summer. Then suddenly one day it was like "WTF, why are there so many cars everywhere?!?!" and then found out school started.

I'm starting to commute less as the rainy season starts. Call me a fair weather commuter if you want. As far as riding at night, I really only fear skunks.

I wish I rode today though. Weather report said 40% chance of rain starting at noon and weather models showed rain over the city starting at 3pm. Even when I got home at 6pm, I didn't see a single drop.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I used to drive to work now and then at the job I had in 2008. In the morning, the drive in was fine. So if the weather sucked, it was pretty tempting to hop in the truck.

I always regretted it on the way home, though. Traffic was always awful. When I rode home, I got home in a good mood. Sometimes wet, sometimes tired, but really, still in a good mood. When I drove, I always got home a bit stressed.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Always follow your instinctive intuition and always follow your heart...
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

mtbr member
    I was going to ride in this morning but had to help the wife get the kids ready. So I didn't have the extra time to spend on the bike. I have a couple pretty good lighting systems so lighting up the road that isn't a problem. I'll man up one of these days and start doing some cold/dark commutes. Not sure what's wrong with me. For some strange reason I see that as being fun/challenging. Everyone here at work thinks I'm nuts. I might be guilty of that but I'm having fun being a healthy nut!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ...When I rode home, I got home in a good mood. Sometimes wet, sometimes tired, but really, still in a good mood. When I drove, I always got home a bit stressed.
    I agree 100% it's amazing how much better I feel once I pedal the bike a few miles. I'm lucky to not have slow traffic. So driving to and from work is pretty fast. Which is what I don't like while I'm on the bike. I hate those people that buzz you going 45+mph.
    °uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ °°°pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Members who have read this thread: 0