I need a wheel and tire recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

I need a wheel and tire recommendation

I have an '08 Specialized Hardrock Comp that I'm planning on using for commuting to work (16 km round trip). The commute will be on a mixture of paved road and gravel trail (old railway bed that's been converted to a trail). Right now my bike has the knobby tires that came on it originally and I find them a bit inhibiting on pavement. I would like to buy a second set of tires and rims to swap, something more of the cyclocross style, that can handle both the pavement and crushed stone trails. My current tires show a size of 26x2.10. What suggestions can you folks make for me? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Conti Race King tread is also in CX sizes. We have that on the Fargo that does commuting, touring, and trail riding. The rolling resistance site confirmed they're fast just like we've perceived them. The "protection" tubeless compatible version has also been tough.

Back in the day I loved Michelin Rock for 26r commuting.

Wheel and tire bargains should be out there based on the demand for 26 inch bikes.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you very much. I hate to ask these questions but I'm not a very experienced rider.

mtbr member
    The Bontrager H5 is a very capable hybrid tire with good wear capability; they’re available in 26x1.5 for around $30/tire online. The hardcase tech is pretty good at reducing flats, as well.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/09389/
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks. I'm now debating picking up a used bike and dedicating it to commuting and keeping my mountain bike as is.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    I like your latest thought. Having a dedicated commuter is a good way to go and you can keep the mtn bike as is. This way if you like you can attach a rack and even fenders on the commuter and not have to take them off when you hit the trails. You can also get some dedicated slicks for the commute and not try to have a dual purpose bike, which usually doesn't work as well.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Might have better deals. Found this+

Cambria Bike | CBO | Shimano M758 on Mavic XM119 - Front

So there's good deals for the "obsolete" 26 wheels. I got the Vuelta Special Edition wheelset for $85. Has unsealed bearings. Vuelta supposed to have a sealed bearing set for$130.

Also the most recent threads on 26 section discuss tires.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What would you guys pick...

My Father has my old Jamis X-Trail bike that is still in like new condition, he can't ride anymore due to sciatica issues. I can get that bike back from him and put a set of street/trail tires on it and use it for my commuter. Or I can look at some end of season deals that a few local stores have on. One place has a GT Vantara Comp on for $300 CDN. What would you do? Convert an old mountain bike or buy new? I'm more inclined to convert the older mountain bike but I don't want to end up spending X amount of dollars on parts that I could have just gone out and spent on a new bike.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    Well having street tires will help a lot. But keep in mind that you may be under geared for riding on the road. When I started to commute on a mtn bike, I felt I needed a new range of gears. Then I changed the rear cassette and then the front chainrings.
    With that in mind, tires, cassette and new rings shouldn’t add up to $300, but you will have to drop some cash in the process.
    Nothing more I can add, as there are pro’s and con’s for each purchase. Depends on just what you are willing to go for. Free bike with some modifications, or spend some cash for a current model and not much in other expenses.

turtles make me hot
    Schwalbe Marathons. I'd even get crazy and build a set of wheels with Velocity Cliffhangers and Bike Hub Store hubs. Quick change from MTB to pavement.
    I like turtles