I know what tires you should get- Mtbr.com
    Bedwards Of The West

I know what tires you should get

Just throwing this out there for the mountain bike/commuter bike crowd... My commuter is a Surly Ogre 29er that I use for some trail, some dirt, some everything... I've tried lots of tires in the small knob, fast rolling, pavement friendly category... I got some Geax Saguaro's on a closeout at REI because they were cheap. They looked too knobby and not very pavement friendly for me. I was expecting a really loud, slow tire on the pavement, that would do great on the trails.

I'm impressed enough with how fast-rolling these tires are on pavement that I thought I'd let the people know. They are a bit on the heavy side compared to the Vee "Race V's" that I replaced with them, but they roll amazingly well on pavement and grip very well on the trails. Super good compromise tire for commuting, especially if you have any dirt involved, or use the bike on the trails. They are waaaaaaay quieter than Kenda Small Block 8's on the pavement, and roll a little faster I think. They set up tubeless easily with no seepage so far. Great tires.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

jrm
    mtbr member
    I rode a saguaro in the rear of my 29er. It really gave up its braking traction when it began to wear.

I've got the REI Sagueros too. They're the lower thread count version and slower than the more expensive versions, but I'm happy with them in general. Mine have most of the molding wiskers left on the front tire after more than 1K miles, so it's pretty hard rubber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run Geax tatoo's on my Karate Monkey. 29 x 2.3 slicks. Great all around tires. Sort of like a hook worm tread, inverse with a little knurling. Fast rolling, great for dirt, pave and hard pack. Mud is not recomendo.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I love the inverse tread thing. I had Serfas Drifters for a looooooooooong time. They wore like iron.

2.3's! That's rivaling Big Apple width (which I've also used). I'm going to have to check those out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My commute is 18 mies one way, so minimal tread is key. Only some of the time do I take the 20 mile/8 miles of dirt ride home. 2.5 hours or so. The Tattoo lights are junk, like 650 gms. The regular tattoo's are 1100 grams or so, way beefy, stands up to mad trail beatings. They fill out nice on my Velocity P -35 rims too. I looked for a while on this subject. Check out some of the maxxis offerings. A 2.3 and 2.5 in 29er if I recall.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wore out a slick road tire....it would just let basically anything through to the tube....so I was getting a slow leak within a week of a installing a new tube...

couldn't find any 26 inch slicks nearby...

So I bought a Duro Cavalier 1.5 inch by 26....wire bead...reverse tread

Weight 1 kg each....

There is enough rubber in those things to last 20 years.

The are much heavier than my 2.4 inch knobbies.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Wore out a slick road tire....it would just let basically anything through to the tube....so I was getting a slow leak within a week of a installing a new tube...

couldn't find any 26 inch slicks nearby...

So I bought a Duro Cavalier 1.5 inch by 26....wire bead...reverse tread

Weight 1 kg each....

There is enough rubber in those things to last 20 years.

The are much heavier than my 2.4 inch knobbies.
    Piss me off the damn new tube failed.....pulled it and a seam had split....what is wrong with tube manufacturers....

anyway patched and fingers crossed.

Next I am going tubeless

Bedwards Of The West
    I have had good luck with those big heavy reverse tread tires and tubeless. They hold their shape so well it's easy to get the beads to seat, and they are so thick they don't seep. Tubes for roadside emergency use only...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I have had good luck with those big heavy reverse tread tires and tubeless. They hold their shape so well it's easy to get the beads to seat, and they are so thick they don't seep. Tubes for roadside emergency use only...
    Yup I got away from tubeless cause my old light weight slicks didnt have enough sidewall left to reliably seal up...

Just gotta locate or get new valve stems for tubeless...

If memeory I serves a spent about a year 5 years ago trying to convince you to try tubeless.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ it was at least 6 years ago. never looked back.