I got new base layer, really good one.- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

I got new base layer, really good one.

So I was having a problem. It was cold around 0 to minus 5C here and my regular base layer plus very thin running jacket didn't cut it. too cold. So I put on a kickass wool sweater and cotton t-shirt underneath it, still using the really thin breathing jacket.

But now I'm all sweaty and **** (REALLY), no matter how slow I go. So I ne3eded to find a solution to this.
    I wanted a thicker base layer to go with my thin thin jacket for minus 10 to around plus 5C, AND only use those 2. And be able to go either fast or slow, and never be cold and never be sweating like a pig.

AND I FOUND IT!!!

this is it. I would really like to recommend this product, its a lot warmer than cheap ass base layers and yet its a lot less sweatier than thicker stuff while still being warm. Its like having the cake and eating it. IMO of course. On my 13km commute in 0C wearing only this and the really thin jacket I'm never warm, never sweaty, but never cold, I'm like 15C summer night cool all the time. No ****.

Good kinda windproof collar too making scarfs and everything else unnecessary.

I'm thinking this will be good for about -10C, but I would probably have to go 90-95% tempo or so then (with only my thin jacket on top), no problem though since I wont get sweaty and wet with this one on!!

I'm wearing one right now typing this in my living room that is about 20C, sitting still in a chair and no signs of "overheating at all. And I don't feel cold either.

Its a a lot of dough though, but I think it was worth it, I got 2. buy once cry once.

HHWARM FREEZE 1/2 ZIP - Men - Base layer - Helly Hansen Official Online Store

Name:  48852_224_main_large.png
Views: 827
Size:  169.3 KB
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    and also imagine how ****ing awesome it would have been to have that red-white-blue lkayer made out of very fine woven kevlar fabric. that would have been my ultimate wish, but yeah, maybe thats only me. I don't know.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, merino is awesome, I could not resist my friend's offer yesterday to get something on her ski patrol friends & family Pro deal from Ibex and got a hooded Indie. I see they have some pretty good discounts in the outlet now too Ibex Outlet | Men's & Women's Web Specials, and they tell you where all the stuff is made and where the wool is from. Dog lovers must check out their dogs matter page Ibex Dogs Matter: The Best Friends Of Ibex Employees

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Your mistake was the cotton t-shirt. Cotton should not be worn for any type of athletic activity. When it's hot, it doesn't wick, so it just gets soaked, and when it's cold, it doesn't wick, so it just gets soaked and cold.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Yeah cotton really sucks.

Specialized sucks ass.

My standard winter fair is a silk (with silver thread {to control odor}) long sleeve shirt I found at Goodwill, a Pearl Izumi heavy long sleeved jersey and an L.L. Bean uninsulated parka (good to 10F). On the bottom I use either PI amphib tights over shorts or the same combo with PI thermal tights in the middle (also good to 10ishF).

~ B A D A S S ~
    Alright I did some further testing today. Last year I bought an extremely thin jacket, one layer, it was on sale and I figured I could use it when the temps got down to -20C with my thick wool sweaters underneath it. So I bought a size bigger than I needed. Anyway I tried my new base layer today paired with that jacket. temp was about -3C. And to be honest I'm really satisfied with the base layer, Going to work I was in a hurry and never got sweaty, and going home I just cruised along pretty slow, and I didn't feel cold. Cool, but not cold. It really works.

I'm gonna get one of these for my father so he can be out riding this winter too. Anyone have any suggestions as to what color a 60+ guy would like??
    He's not getting a black one.

The only thing I don't have covered now is gloves!

I have a warm(ish) weather solution, 5 finger ones with thin leather palms and thin cotton top when its down to like +8-+10C, these are grippy and durable. I use these as disposables. I use these at work so I pretty much run them first on the bike, and then when dirty with grease and molykote from my chain I that I occasionally drop I use them at work for a day, or half a day if I'm working on some dirty crap.

Below that down to maybe +2 I have some rubberized assembly gloves, thight ones, these are insulated somewhat, and the sweetspot seems to be +2 to +4C or so. Warmer than that and I'm getting sweaty, and colder than that I freeze my fingers no matter what.

And then I have "mittens type", says gore tex on them and these are medium insulated, but even at -5C I get sweaty!! These actually dry out over the day but Unless its really cold outside I get quite sweaty.

Then I have some Seal skins breathing ones 5 finger, bike specific. but these I don't like. I get sweaty as hell using these, and they are not warm enough when it gets to -5 and below, the feel (brakes and shifters) is good though, but thats it.

I'm in the market for a non sweaty waterproof(ish) glove that works between -5C and +5C, and I don't like getting cold.

Any recommendations?

Specialized sucks ass.

CB of the East
    You'll have to report on it's odor resisting properties since it doesn't appear to be 100% merino. If I wear synthetic base layers they are good for 1/2 round trip and they stink me out of the room. I have 2 LL Bean 100% merino base layers that can go all week.

You're right, the price on these is kind of scary but I can see the appeal of having a faster drying/wicking layer against the skin. The 100% merino ones get a little soggy. Not sure about the polypropylene layer though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    You'll have to report on it's odor resisting properties since it doesn't appear to be 100% merino. If I wear synthetic base layers they are good for 1/2 round trip and they stink me out of the room. I have 2 LL Bean 100% merino base layers that can go all week.

You're right, the price on these is kind of scary but I can see the appeal of having a faster drying/wicking layer against the skin. The 100% merino ones get a little soggy. Not sure about the polypropylene layer though.
    Sounds scary all week on one underlayer.

CB of the East
    I've trained it to walk to the laundry at the end of the week.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

Normally I only use my plastic base layers for 1 or 2 days. They never smell. But I wash these at 60 and 90C just like my towels, socks and underwear.

I tried washing these new ones at 40C with thicker wool stuff just to see if they would shrink. No shrinkage. Didn't smell wet wool either. I can't wash these at 90C so this will get interesting. I'll report back.

Supposedly the plastic fibers in these are tubular.

Specialized sucks ass.

Air Pirate
    I found Tide Febreeze Sport detergent handles most of the stink in my synthetic winter wear. I also wash my merino with it, it seems to be gentle enough.

Car Bone, I am going to have to try that HH baselayer you discovered.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    I found Tide Febreeze Sport detergent handles most of the stink in my synthetic winter wear. I also wash my merino with it, it seems to be gentle enough.

Car Bone, I am going to have to try that HH baselayer you discovered.
    Today it was -6C when I went to work. And it worked very well. I was also standing still, pretty much stationary out in the cold for about 1.5h, guessing at -5C or similar having only the HH and my regular thin running jacket. Sure it got cold after about 30min but never really extreme, but my fingers and toes on the other hand...

For being so thin its warm enough, especially if you are riding a bike, or any kind of activity that requires you to burn some calories.. And for being warm enough its really practical and I don't show up at work completely soaked and disgusting.

If you have the chance, try one out in a store. I usually wear medium with these kind of things but now I got small instead, it just fit better, and was tight all over. It was a gamble though, it could have shrinked in the washing machine, but didn't, i did not tumble dry it.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I Think I have found the upper usable temp limit for this base layer. Today it was +5C outside. I had my jacket zipped all the way up and it took me only 5 minutes before I felt very warm, I started sweating, but not like a pig. I decieded to not open the jacket but really test the HH. I got fairly sweaty but the time I got to work. But no real overheating, and I never felt any running sweat anywhere, the HH soaked it up well. Today it was so warm that normally I would have gone with my much thinner all plastic base layer, but its always good to know the HH works even when its quite warm. This seems to be the upper limit, with my jacket closed at least. I really don't like riding with my jacket open since it just seems to make the sweat condensate where the cold wind hits me and I get even wetter (and colder) there, still warm and yucky on other places. Its like the worst of 2 worlds.

Unless its summer.

I have now been running the same one for 3 days and no smell. This is as far as I'm going to use it.

Specialized sucks ass.

djrez4
    I like to keep my base layers as thin as possible and use other layers for temp control. The base layer's sole purpose should be to wick moisture away from your skin.

My usual base layer is a Stoic Alpine Merino 150 1/4 zip. I have some long sleeve crews in the same fabric, but I like the zip better. They're all 60/40 merino/polypro and, for the most part, retain the qualities of the merino. One could probably go with a higher synthetic content and still get the same benefits. (Who knows what the blend is on the HH shirt.)

On top of that, I've started wearing a Mammut Guye jacket which utilizes Polartec's new-ish Alpha insulation. I can't say enough good things about the jacket. It seems like it keeps me comfy between about 20-50F (-7 to +10 C). Polartec Alpha is the real deal. If things get more frigid, I add a Patagonia Houdini on top to reduce wind penetration and heat loss.

I have a couple merino neck gaiters to cover the head, face and neck - a Buff and an Ibex version that they call the Indie Quick Link..whatever that means. I like the Buff better. It has extra length that makes it more versatile and better stretch than the Ibex.

To keep the digits toasty, I can wear normal full-finger MTB gloves down to 35F and I have a pair of Marmot Basic Work Gloves that take me down to 20. Anything under that and I have not yet found the right gear.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    I like to keep my base layers as thin as possible and use other layers for temp control. The base layer's sole purpose should be to wick moisture away from your skin.

My usual base layer is a Stoic Alpine Merino 150 1/4 zip. I have some long sleeve crews in the same fabric, but I like the zip better. They're all 60/40 merino/polypro and, for the most part, retain the qualities of the merino. One could probably go with a higher synthetic content and still get the same benefits. (Who knows what the blend is on the HH shirt.)
    I have no idea, It probably says on the package or in the HH itself. Its actually 2 completely different layers, its not smooth on the inside, as opposed to the outside (see pic above), I'm guessing the plastic is the inner fabric and the wool is the outer one.

I like as few layers as possible, and also as thin as possible total thickness of my biking clothes. I feel movement restricted otherwise. Thats why I didn't want to just put on another layer. I really hate thick jackets at least while riding.

Specialized sucks ass.

CB of the East
    So my wife comes home from Marshall's without seeing this thread. I informed her that she got a really good deal and needed to go back to look for more. There was only one other piece but we now both have some HH warm thermal bottoms.
    I got new base layer, really good one.-capture.jpg

~ B A D A S S ~
    You only got the pants? Not the top part? Seems to be a pretty good deal though.

Specialized sucks ass.

CB of the East
    No tops available. At 10 bucks I sure would have got them to try. Maybe even some to sell on ebay.

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I'm in the market for a non sweaty waterproof(ish) glove that works between -5C and +5C, and I don't like getting cold.

Any recommendations?
    Gloves are a PITA. I've got 'bout 10 pairs and they all suck. The only suggestion (I use when alpine skiing) is a bigger glove and a pair of wool liner gloves. Works wonders to keep the sweat pulled from your hands so you outer glove doesn't freeze. I like smartwool and defeet gear. Both seem to last!

Nice score on the HH layer. Several years ago, I wore Patagonia silkweight gear. About 3 years ago, I converted to Smart Wool stuff. It's a bit pricey but the stuff seems to wear really well. I don't baby it, just throw it in the wash with jeans and others. So basically my layers are:

Helmet
    -Giro Combyn
    Upper
    -Smart wool short sleeve T shirt
    -Smart wool long sleeve mid weight
    -Gore brand phantom jacket
    Bottom
    -PI bib knickers or bib tights
    or
    -PI bib shorts and Patagonia alpine climbing pants
    Feet
    -Lake 303 boots

The Lake boots seem pretty good. I've heard lots of good reports from guys who commute in them too.

Keep riding!

~ B A D A S S ~
    Whats the difference between smartwool and regular merino? same **** different name??

I got a pair of socks made out of smartwool. thinking i was gonna wear them outside while shooting in the cold. but even though i got the thickest ones "mountaineering" model or whatever i still freeze my toes off.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Smartwool--a brand name--isn't what it once was. I suggest Darn Tough socks. USA made, and lifetime guarantee. Not all merino (a specific type of sheep) wool is the same. The best wool comes from sheep with little to no stress (no predation) that is why New Zealand produced wool is some of the best. Icebreaker makes quality products, but they're expensive (they use the finest wool in the world, same stuff Gucci and Armani use--from their rep).