I drove to work today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I drove to work today

and got a parking ticket......... That's what I get.

First time driving in four months, and I get a ticket. Apparently, you have to put money in those little boxes in the parking lot.

Driving sucks BTW. I get so F-ing aggro behind the wheel now. The bike is much more relaxing.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I empathize, I hate having to drive anywhere. People are idiots when they get behind the wheel. And driving is just one hassle after another; pay to park... that is if you can even find a space.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sell your car then the choice is an easy one.

The Brutally Handsome
    I dread driving days but sometimes they're necessary, such as when I wake up 5 minutes before I'm supposed to report or when I decide to work despite being sick. I wish I could go carless but with kids and a worthless car that has a totaled title, there ain't much point!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Sell your car then the choice is an easy one.

Problem is I'm also a skier! Gotta get to the mountain somehow. I ain't selling the Taco anyways. It's a 98 and paid off.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear
    and got a parking ticket......... That's what I get.

First time driving in four months, and I get a ticket. Apparently, you have to put money in those little boxes in the parking lot.

Driving sucks BTW. I get so F-ing aggro behind the wheel now. The bike is much more relaxing.

Hah after about 6 months without driving...

I was driving out to the mountains along one of my commutes, the traffic backed up, so I naturally just cut onto the sidewalk to go around the jam...

Sure got some strange looks from the pedestrians as I pulled up at the Xwalk.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have a loooooooong downhill paved section right after the dirt road portion of my commute in the morning...the paved downhill ends in a T, and I have to make a left. You can see way down the cross street in both directions as you're decending the hill, so I usually just swing it wide on the bike and cross 4 lanes of traffic, clip the apex, run the stop sign, and carry all kinds of momentum onto the next road...it's 6:30 in the morning and I rarely see a car on this section.

Well I got seriously yelled at the last time I did the same thing in my Jeep when my wife was with me. I had no idea why she was freaking out... I don't know how many times I've run that stop sign when driving, but I'm gonna get a ticket one of these days. I have to remind myself several times to slow down and come to a stop or I just blow right through it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    @CommuterBoy: That's bad. To not know the difference when you're on a bike versus a vehicle, no less a rumbling 4x4 Jeep, wow.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

mtbr member
    i dunno.. i love to bike, but i still love to drive my car...
    RH SL Pro

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    @CommuterBoy: That's bad. To not know the difference when you're on a bike versus a vehicle, no less a rumbling 4x4 Jeep, wow.

You should see when I try to take the Jeep on the local singletrack. Those guys get pissed!

weirdo
    A million thumbs up to all the guys who manage a carfree life in this day and age, but it isn`t for me either. In fact, while my wife NEEDS a car (bus service was eliminated where we live and no way she could bike into town and back even once let alone on a daily basis), I don`t think I`d like to try living without my little pickup. It works as a backup when something is wrong with the car, it`s the only way to get out when we get an occasional heavy snow, and how the hell do you manage when you need a couple 4 x 8 sheets of something or a yard of gravel, or another 20 blocks and two more bags of mortar? You carfree guys rock! But I wouldn`t be willing to deal with it- we`re a two-vehicle household until the day that we can`t afford that anymore.
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Me too. Two vehicles, both 4x4 for winter, a trailer for hauling 4x8 sheets of whatever, firewood, dump runs, moving dirt/gravel, a sailboat to tow to the lake...

I live in the woods. I couldn't function without a way to haul stuff. I can see how some 'cityfolk' might pull it off, but it would be way more expensive to not have a vehicle or two around here...you'd be paying people constantly to bring you stuff and do stuff for you.

Plus, the Jeep is a hobby and a toy. I need something to work on when the bikes are running perfect, and something to play with when there's too much snow to go riding.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Hauling stuff... Surly Big Dummy or an Extracycle.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=570891

To much snow....a fat bike..907, fatback, pugsley or a wildfire

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=570137

As I said it on other thread the Wife and I have a car and we won't sell it, well may be but to get a new one, not having snow here..I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm talking about

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ This weekend I had to bring home 8 sheets of concrete board @ maybe 45lbs each, a new toilet, and two 25lb bags of tile grout/thin-set. Then I hauled 400 lbs (they weigh it) of demolished tile and various bathroom parts to the dump. Doing this myself = free, other than the cost of materials. Paying someone else to deliver/renting a truck = a few projects like this and I might as well have bought a truck.

Last week I used the Jeep to haul a dead tree that I had cut down at the bottom of the hill up to the house, after I cut it into managable lengths (20 feet lengths or so at about 600 lbs each, for about 1/4 mile.

My Hobie 16 is 8 feet, 6 inches wide. You might be able to move it behind a bike (you'd never stop it, but hey...), but you are NEVER going to fit it in the bike lane

weirdo
    Yeah, technically you can do pretty much anything with a bike, but in the real world there`s no way I`m going to strap plywood sheets onto a BD or trailer and try pedaling it home while the wind pulls me around like a kite for several hours or make 10 round trips to the rock yard with a Workingbikes trailer and an 18t chain ring. Also no way I`m going to convince my wife bundle up in pogies and a winter jacket and strap all her samples on the back of a Pugsley and tote them around town to see her customers. It might be fun to watch her attempt it though
    Recalculating....

The Brutally Handsome
    off topic: commuterboy, what kind of jeep you got? being so cheap and reliable i have ended up owning quiet a few. and you got a hobie cat too? that's awesome, I'de love to get one some day. I got a little lido, not much but I've pulled it down to eagle lake many a time. my old man also got a trimaran, very fast and fun!

Bedwards Of The West
    Were you "sizzle chest" on jeepforum.com? If so, you're freaking funny.

The second pic is Eagle Lake. I built the Hobie with Craigslist parts... after selling off surplus, I think i'm into it for about $400. Fun-to-money ratio is off the charts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I drove to work today-picture%25202.jpg  

I drove to work today-picture1.jpg  

Last edited by CommuterBoy; 11-19-2009 at 10:49 AM.

The Brutally Handsome
    Yep, am sizzle chest! Was sizzle chest here too, but had to change my name after some dude accused me of using a "lewd" name. Who were/are you on jeepforum?

Love your XJ! That's my ideal color scheme, white with black trim and wheels: the star wars stormtrooper look!

Also nice hobie, I bet you have a blast with it out on eagle lake, such a fun place to sail. My vessel is in sorry shape and needs a few repairs. Last time I took it out, three cleats ripped out and I had to sail it back holding all the lines.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm LandRover on jeepforum.

It's like an internet reunion!

Sorry for the hijack OP.

The Brutally Handsome
    funny you remembered me! i just logged in to see how long ago i was active, was almost three years ago!

Members who have read this thread: 0