I don't think I like riding to work- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I don't think I like riding to work

That was a dramatic title. But maybe true. Seems lately when I could ride to work I would rather sleep later/spend time with my toddler in the morning/drive to work than actually ride.

I think the reasons are:

1. My commute is 23 miles, which takes me about 1:15 each way, which adds two and a half hours plus cleanup time, which comes out to a little over three hours total.
    2. The route is boring. I am lucky as a commuter - most of my commute is on a beautiful MUP along a river. It's just flat. No hills, no good Strava segments to race, no ripping descents.

It hit me tonight after work when I headed to a local ride starting area and strapped on my shoes for a 23 mile ride with 1000 ft of climbing with an 700 ft lung busting option (that I passed on tonight). It was fun. I was even riding my normal commute bike (sans rack). There is a kicker of a climb in the middle, a couple of 40 mph straights and a little of that MUP though higher up along a gorgeous lake:

I don't know. What do you guys think? Maybe I'm just writing out to see if I still feel the same after, and so far I do. Have any posters/lurkers started commuting and later on just thought maybe they didn't like it as much as they thought they would?
    :wq

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Don't give up on it, just cut back. I'm not sure how often you did commute, but if you are not enjoying it I would pick a top 10 day every now and then to commute. You might get your groove back in time.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I stopped commuting via bicycle to work in February because with the option of telecommuting coupled with the notion of working with flakey-ass coworkers who wait until 3:30PM to get their shˇt together for me to get my work done, and with the notion that I need to do real training rides (I am racing this year) I have found time in the middle of the day to do all-out hammerfest rides getting my heart up into zone 4 for 90 minutes (and zone 5 for 30 minutes)… whereas with commuting I have to deal with the same *******s every time in cars trying to cut me off and crap like that.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My commute is only about 12Km and takes 20~ 25mins, through boring but pretty parks and only 2km on busy ish roads. I sometimes get that can't be bothered feeling but the other options are infinitely worse:
    1) Drive, a minimum of 25mins on a good day but generally 35mins + stuck in jams.
    2) Public transport 40mins + and a horrendous press of people

each time I try either of them I find myself glad to be back on the bike and the feeling goes away - at least for a couple of days. It also helps if you can vary the route from time to time.
    It's not a crime not to commute every day specially if it's taking time away from your kids.

weirdo
    >1.My commute is 23 miles, which takes me about 1:15 each way, which adds two and a half hours
    >plus cleanup time, which comes out to a little over three hours total.
    That`s a huge chunk of time every day. I don`t blame you for getting tired of it.

>2.The route is boring.
    Damn you, Nacho! You know that my wife and I used to drive two hours each way just to enjoy your boredom !?! Grass is always greener...

>Have any posters/lurkers started commuting and later on just thought maybe they didn't like it as
    >much as they thought they would?
    Not me, but I`m sure it`s happened. If I had 23 miles a day, it probably would have been me. Especially with such a boring ride.
    Hey, maybe you could trade routes with Ryball- that should spice things up again!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Don't give up on it, just cut back. I'm not sure how often you did commute, but if you are not enjoying it I would pick a top 10 day every now and then to commute. You might get your groove back in time.
    +1, this sounds like a good idea, just enjoy some extra nice days on the bike and they won't seem so boring.

I often drive when I'm dogsitting so the pooch is not home alone so long, so a toddler is plenty reason to drive sometimes in my book.

Bedwards Of The West
    The only thing I'd stop commuting for is the 'time with the kids' thing. I totally get that. over an hour each way is a lot of time.

do you have a public transit option where you could just ride one way? Like if you leave for work before kiddo is up anyway, why not ride in the morning and then take a bus home or something...might save you some time and still get you a ride in.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am in the same boat. I love my commute and would love to do it more often however time with kids is very important to me. What has worked for me is i drive to work with my bike and commute home and then i gt to ride again in the morning and if I feel i need to ride home from work one day I have my car there and I can get home to spend time with the little guys. I also have driven half way and parked at a municipal lot and then commuted from there. I usually do that on days when I dont have time to do the full hour commute. I love to ride and couldnt imagine giving it up completely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I hit a point when I was commuting everyday and my truck was not running that I was truly "tired" of the bike in general. When commuting I was finding myself getting very irritable with drivers and other pedestrians...

Then i bought a new (used) car in December and a parking pass for work and did that for a month or two but found myself missing commuting. So I started commuting again. I have now moved farther away (still only an 8 mile commute) and my route consists entirely of construction but I am back to enjoying it all very much. I try to focus on all of the positives, the sky, the smell of certain flowers, being friendly to everyone I pass, etc. I find that when you begin to dwell on the negative you can easily become consumed by it before you even realize.

My new (used) car has also been sitting at a local shop here for over two weeks now (silly BMWs and silly me for purchasing a rare optioned car with very particular parts) and I have been living out of my messenger bag, riding back and forth to work and then back the same way to see the girlfriend (She is currently without a car herself but lives less than a mile from school and work) on some nights and still finding time to ride the trails when I can. I am almost to a point where I wish I could live car free, but here in Tampa I feel it would be near impossible with the lack of public transportation and some of the worst roads for pedestrian traffic fatalities in the country...

I guess my advice would be, take a break.

I think you will more than likely begin to miss commuting and have more appreciation for it when you start again!
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Riding keeps you active and outdoors, so do it once and a while when you have the energy. Otherwise spend time with your toddler if that's what will make you happy.

mtbr member
    I'm not tired of riding, just not liking riding as a commute to work option. I had a blast yesterday on the ride I did and if the weather holds I'll probably do it again tomorrow. I have been doing some good road riding on the weekends and a building a new mountain bike (hopefully this weekend!).

I think overall it just works out that the pre-planning/packing of things, the boringish route, the shower in the locker room, the second shower at home, eh. I'd rather just bring my bike with me and bang out a 90 minute ride after work as opposed to riding here and back. That gets me more time at my desk during the work day, a more enjoyable ride and more time with my little one. I really want to like it but I just don't seem to.
    :wq

jrm
    mtbr member

Its not like you have to do it everyday

during the week. Thinking that you"need" or "have" to just speeds up the burnout.

mtbr member
    I don't blame you at all for wanting to spend time with the little one. Plus, 23 miles is a lot. Is it possible to take you bike on public transit and then ride home? Just a thought!
    It's the stopping and starting part that will get ya!

Human Test Subject
    My problem with riding to work is the destination.

Members who have read this thread: 0