I don't lock my bike- Mtbr.com
    dirtbag

I don't lock my bike

That's right. I don't lock my bike when I get to work. Am I tempting fate? Should I lock it to the bike rack at work?

A little background. I live in Deutschland and petty crime is non-existent in my town. So much so that the neighbors across the street leave their family bikes (nothing special or blingy) out in front of their homes. My commute is all on cobblestoned trails through the woods. I have to show ID to get on post, a military facility so the only folks here are American military personnel and family. Again, petty crime is pretty low or possibly non-existent ( I don't have hard statistics ). Other cyclists use dinky cable locks to secure their bikes to the bike rack. There are some residents but they're miltary families who seldomly pass by the bike rack in front of my building. I think in this little bubble community I work in, I can trust them not to ride off with my unlocked bike.

What say you? Am I just waiting for the day when I find my bike missing from the bike rack? or am I safe?
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    When I lived in Heidelberg, Bicycle theft was rampant on PHV and pretty bad on MTV. There is also occasionally bicycle theft on base at Ramstein. Almost always it is kids/teens taking them just to take them.

I personnally had two bikes stolen within about a week on Patrick Henry Village. One was within five hours of it having arrived in my household goods. I parked it in the bike rack in front of our housing unit and it was gone five hours later. I retrieved it a couple of days later when I saw it in the bike rack of another building on post. Most likely that one was teens joyriding/stealing just for hte heck of it. The next one that was stolen was out of our basement torage room and they picked my bike out of a line up of about six or seven walmart type bikes, so they knew what they were looking for. That one I never got back.

If nothing else, the little dinky lock should be good enough for on post for a short time, just to keep the kids on the honest side of things.

Off post, I would lock it up fairly securely in populated areas where I can't watch it. Crime is much lower over here, but in the urban areas, bicycle theft and other petty non-violent theft is not unheard of.

Where are you stationed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Couple things. First, locks keep honest people honest. That's it for the most part.

Second. There are two types of soldiers in the US Military (or so I've heard from my veteran comrades). Those that are trying to get their stuff back. And the one who has everyone's stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How hard is it to lock your bike? Takes 30 seconds max?

Moderator Moderator
    Our community at work is similar and we have some non-fancy community bikes that are left unlocked & generally safe. But when outsiders enter the community things can change. I had a Trek I was going to add to the fleet, it just needed pedals & a little work, and it disappeared when the roof was being repaired. My own bike also disappeared once, giving me a minor heart attack, but someone had only borrowed it for errands and returned it within an hour. I keep it locked now, just a cable lock.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by swell6 View Post
    On the practical side, 30 seconds or so, plus carry the lock around (or buy multiple locks for multiple places), plus be sure to park next to something lockable. No, none of that is really a big deal, but...

...the real reason I often leave my bike unlocked is that I just feel "fee-er" somehow. Something to be said about just not needing to hassle with keys and locks sometimes. I`ll never try to convince anybody NOT to lock up, but I understand why somebody might not want to.

mtbr member
    I work on a MIL installation, I dont lock the bike ever. If I cant trust these guys who can you trust. I like to think honesty and self respect are not extinct. In 13 years, so far so god.
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    I think you'd better just lock it.
    Ride more!

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33 View Post
    Where are you stationed?
    Patch @ Stuttgart. I trust the military folks but probably not the kids so much. The kids would have to go out of there way to walk by the bike rack I park my bike at. Additionally, the rack is next to the head shed which is staffed by MPs although, I don't know if the patrol outside.

Quote Originally Posted by swell6 View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't take long to lock up the bike. I have a cable lock somewhere in the garage that I may put back into service.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Our community at work is similar and we have some non-fancy community bikes that are left unlocked & generally safe. But when outsiders enter the community things can change. I had a Trek I was going to add to the fleet, it just needed pedals & a little work, and it disappeared when the roof was being repaired. My own bike also disappeared once, giving me a minor heart attack, but someone had only borrowed it for errands and returned it within an hour. I keep it locked now, just a cable lock.
    Yeah, I used to work at a company that also had community bikes for employees to get around campus. It was the an excellent idea to get around a sprawling campus. The bikes were pretty distinguishable and pretty much anyone who lived and worked in the area knew they were company bikes so when someone rode one off campus security and police would be notified.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598 View Post
    I work on a MIL installation, I dont lock the bike ever. If I cant trust these guys who can you trust. I like to think honesty and self respect are not extinct. In 13 years, so far so god.
    I feel exactly the same way, however as Jonesy33 pointed out it's the kids you have to look out for. This may sound naive but I'd like to place trust in a fellow person to not take my unlocked bike.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598 View Post
    I generally trust my fellow service members as well, however there are bad apples in every bunch. The trek that was stolen from me was definitely some kids joyriding.

On the other hand, someone moved several perfectly functional, flashy, walmart bikes out fo the way in our common area inside our basement to get to my somewhat subdued Jamis 29er. They knew what they were looking for, which leads me to believe it might not have been just neigborhood kids...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I lived on Patch and worked on Panzer from '06 to '10. I didn't start commuting by bike everyday until about mid '08. I worked in the very back corner of Panzer and I never locked my bike up at work. I felt pretty confident about leaving it unlocked and nothing ever happened to it. Basically, the only people that came back to that part of the base were the people in my command. However, whenever I went to the Exchange on Panzer or Commissary on Patch, I'd make sure to lock my bike up.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BTW, you have an excellent opportunity to start Touring. I know a lot of great rides that you can do. I have a lot of pictures that I can share from various trips that I made last year if you're interested. I also have some intel on a few bike clubs if you're into group rides.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My buddy is stationed on a base in Hawaii, and he felt he didnt have to lock his bike. Well a group from Korea came to the base for a week or so and when they saw all the unlocked bikes they figured that they were Community Bikes and he woke up to an empty rack. I would buy a lock just to prevent it from walking away. You can keep it locked to the rack at work so you dont have to ride with it.

dirtbag
    I didn't ride into work today, but I walked by the bike rack I use. Out of the nine bikes there, only two were locked using cable locks. Now I'd be playing the odds if I locked my bike there. An unscrupulous person would have to choose between the unlocked bikes, maybe my unwashed bike would be safe. Maybe not. I've already strapped my U-lock to the top of my rack so I can lock it up just to keep people honest.

@Solomon76 - I don't lock my bike when I go to the Commissary or the PX but then I'm usually just running it to pick something up and I seldom do that.

I'm on the SLACRs but they're mostly roadies. Do you know any mtb groups here? Please pm the info you offered up.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    ...Do you know any mtb groups here? Please pm the info you offered up.
    We're not in the stuttgart area, but KMC cycling is a fairly active club in K-Town. Our website is www.kmccycling.com.
    Lots of nice trails here... and oh yeah, hills, something not in overwhelming abundance in Stuttgart...

If you've ever heard of the F-Trail, that is probably the nicest stretch of singletrack in the area and we have group rides there almost every weekend. If you're coming up our way make sure you check us out and try and link up for a ride.

jrm
    mtbr member

Good for you

but when and if the unexpected does happen? well you know..

namagomi
    You're gonna do what?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    if you have to ask...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

lockless?

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have locked and lost
    Than never to have locked at all.

(with compliments A.L.T.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've had 4 bikes stolen. I lock my bike up inside my house now

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    I'm on the SLACRs but they're mostly roadies. Do you know any mtb groups here? Please pm the info you offered up.
    If you don't mind riding with Germans, check out http://www.rsv-vaihingen.de/index.php?id=84&L=0%2F%252
    They have mtb events. I ended up racing someone through the trails one day (I won!) and he invited me to come out and join them. The clubhouse is right outside of Patch (Obere Waldplätze 12). The clubhouse is nice and the people are cool.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    I just picked up an old beater 80's Diamondback apex that i'm going to fix up for urban warfare and I'd lock it up now even with it's frozen chain and dry rotted tires.You have to lock up evertyhing down here in Florida.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by galleta loco View Post
    I just picked up an old beater 80's Diamondback apex that i'm going to fix up for urban warfare and I'd lock it up now even with it's frozen chain and dry rotted tires.You have to lock up evertyhing down here in Florida.
    Sometimes even having it locked isn't enough... at least that was my experience.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    wow out here in california bay area, if you dont lock your bike to a pole or something, 5 mins later you come out from the store, WALA, its gone

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I live and work in NYC. In acknowledgement of theft statistics here Kryptonite has a special model called New York Lock® STD. It's their top of the line.

That, a looped cable and a Pit Bull might keep a bike safe for about ten minutes in a busy, well lighted area.

dirtbag
    *knocked on wood* Even then I was thinking about how I'd feel if my unlocked bike was taken. Pretty bad me thinks so I've been locking my bike at work. Sad state it is when I have to resort to locking my bike to keep some d*bag from riding off with my bike but I guess we don't live in a utopia

Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    wow out here in california bay area, if you dont lock your bike to a pole or something, 5 mins later you come out from the store, WALA, its gone
    I lived in the Bay Area and SD and didn't lock my bike at work. I kept my bike next to my office/cubicle so the bike was under my watchfull eye all day. Didn't lock up the bike in San Diego, Point Loma either. But there you had to pass through two security checkpoint/gates. However, when I rode around on errands or for beer/coffee I'd always lock up my bike even when it was within eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by marchone View Post
    I live and work in NYC. In acknowledgement of theft statistics here Kryptonite has a special model called New York Lock® STD. It's their top of the line.

That, a looped cable and a Pit Bull might keep a bike safe for about ten minutes in a busy, well lighted area.
    If I lived in NYC, I'd use that lock but on a hoopty beater bike. At least if the bike was stolen using the NY lock, Kryptonite would reimburse you unless they've changed that.
    Amolan