I couldn't resist- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I couldn't resist

I was at The Gear Revival (a local place that sells used and new outdoor gear) selling some parts today, and I noticed they had a carbon Race Face Next crankset priced at $30! It's old and cosmetically worn, but it's ridiculously light at just over a pound. It's square taper so its' not very useful on my mountain bike, but my commuter has a square taper BB, so why not give it a try!

The chainrings appear to be brand new, with no sign of wear at all. The taper is in good condition and installed nicely on my BB, and the width is just a hair less than the old crankset, so I didn't even have to adjust the front derailleur.

The bike is an old steel frame Trek hybrid from 1999 or 2000. It's really heavy with the basket, rack, U lock, and 36 spoke wheels, so I'm obviously not trying to save weight.

I'm seriously considering moving this crankset and BB over to my mountain bike (which has an Octalink BB and heavy Deore crankset). The only possible issue is the spindle width. I have a new-ish 113mm spindle BB on the commuter now, and I have the original one that was a few mm wider in a cabinet somewhere (still in surprisingly good condition), but my mountain bike comes with a 118mm spindle. I guess even if I have to but a new BB it might still be worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I couldn't resist-imag0138s.jpg  

I couldn't resist-imag0143s.jpg  

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I still have mine on my mtb. Only I have the ISIS drive version attatched at a Race Face Ti ISIS bb.

Teen Wolf
    Carbon cranks on the commuter... love it!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I moved this crankset to my mountain bike where it belongs, and replaced the larger ring with a BBG bash guard. Sure enough, the first ride today the bash guard took a massive hit on an unexpected rock and did its job perfectly.

The only problem is that I don't think I saved much weight because the square taper BB is significantly heavier than the Octalink/Hollowtech one that was originally on the bike. The original crankset on the bike was lighter than I expected, too.
    Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0