I Am Still Amazed By This- Mtbr.com
    turtles make me hot

I Am Still Amazed By This

This past Friday, I lost my iPhone on the ride to work from 33rd St to 58th street. My ride was a straight shot up 8th Ave in NYC.
    I realized immediately upon arrival at the building that the phone was gone. Last time I saw it was on the train as it entered Penn Station.
    Called it three times, no answer. Fourth time, guy answered. He was a cab driver. He was at 53rd and Broadway. He agreed to meet me at 58th and 8th.
    I met him, got the phone back, gave him 40 bucks and asked where did he find it? Here's the part that blows my mind: It was in the middle of 8th Ave in front of Port Authority. A sea of taxis. How in the hell did it not get run over?
    Can't tell you how happy I was. This is a work phone and the IT Dept is in Chicago. Friday before a holiday weekend, I wouldn't have a new one for at least a week and I'm on 24 hour call.
    Someone was looking out for me that day.
    I like turtles

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    I'm amazed by how reliant we have all become on iphones. Seriously considering tossing mine in the Columbia River.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    I'm amazed by how reliant we have all become on iphones. Seriously considering tossing mine in the Columbia River.
    I refuse to activate most of the aps on my phone. I have few contacts. It is an emergency device, a clock, and a timer for my medications. Weather check and occasionally a Google Map back up. If you decide to go phoneless, don't pollute a river with it. There are programs to get phones for 911 into the hands of those who can't afford phones. My phone has bailed me out the day my left leg stopped working and when a cheap wire-beaded tire ruined my tire levers so I could not repair a flat. I have also heard that taking a picture of cagers who are misbehaving can make them rethink their attitude. Haven't tried that, but I can see it working. It would keep me too busy to escalate the conversation, anyway.

mtbr member
    I don't have a smart phone and I refuse to get one. In fact there are a couple of unused ones in the house, cast-offs from the rest of the family. My friends constantly rib me about not having one. My reply is 'What for? Just so that I can waste my time looking at the pointless shite you'll send me? What you had for dinner last night? Your dog's new haircut?'.

Everyone I know who has a smart-phone is a slave to it, well almost. No thanks.

mtbr member
    I wonder sometimes how on earth I would manage to brush my kid's teeth without one.

*duck and cover*

CB of the East
    That tooth brushing app is awesome!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ushtimer&hl=en
    * Kidding *

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I don't have a smart phone and I refuse to get one. In fact there are a couple of unused ones in the house, cast-offs from the rest of the family. My friends constantly rib me about not having one. My reply is 'What for? Just so that I can waste my time looking at the pointless shite you'll send me? What you had for dinner last night? Your dog's new haircut?'.

Everyone I know who has a smart-phone is a slave to it, well almost. No thanks.
    Still a paper map guy, but it is good for biking routes and trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Still a paper map guy, but it is good for biking routes and trails.
    Yeah, but what will everyone do after the satellites have crashed into each other?

mtbr member
    I still do paper maps. But Google Maps on the phone, my car's program, and old analog maps have all lead me wrong at one time or another. Having even an incorrect paper map has allowed me to home in on my destination. Having the phone number there is also a help if you get close but no cigar. Hard to call them from the bike with no cell phone. Pay phones, never all that common, are virtually extinct. No Facebook, no e-mail, no twitter. I get few messages or phone calls and like it like that.

turtles make me hot
    I do paper maps as well when I'm riding a new trail far away. I'm just amazed the phone spent any time at all on 8th ave in front of Port Authority and was not destroyed.

I answer work calls and emails on it and text my family on it and play Angry Birds. It also links to building alarms at work. Phone doesn't belong to me. It would have been a problem if it was lost or destroyed.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'm just amazed the phone spent any time at all on 8th ave in front of Port Authority and was not destroyed.
    I saw a phone on the road years ago on my way to work. It had clearly already been run over so I didn't bother to stop for it. When I went home it was still there, but in a million fragments pounded into the tarmac.

My guess is that someone saw and picked up your phone immediately after it hit the ground. Otherwise, it would be phone-crumbs.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I saw a phone on the road years ago on my way to work. It had clearly already been run over so I didn't bother to stop for it. When I went home it was still there, but in a million fragments pounded into the tarmac.

My guess is that someone saw and picked up your phone immediately after it hit the ground. Otherwise, it would be phone-crumbs.
    Exactly. I was only without it for about 20 minutes and it was about five minutes from the point I dropped it to my job. He must have picked up almost immediately.
    I like turtles