I am sad, I can only bike commute for another week.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I am sad, I can only bike commute for another week.

Next Friday I am going in for shoulder surgery on my left shoulder to repair and tighten things up from multiple dislocations from swimming, dh riding/racing, etc over the last year or so.

I am bummed to be out for the next 3+ months. I really enjoy my commute to work. Its only 3.4 miles round trip, but it has some good climbs and descents. On the way to work I can almost hit 40mph on the descent and on the way back up another steep hill I have been able to mash up it at 26mph (I have even passed cars up this hill).

I do all of my commuting on my Surly Cross-Check and so far this year (as of this mornings ride) I have hit 366 miles for just to and from work riding.

I will post a picture of the bike soon. But I figured I would share.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That is just motivation to do all your "rehab homework" and get healthy quick.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Thanks and I had almost the same surgery 2 years ago on my other shoulder. I pretty much know just what to expect PT and recovery wise. Its just slow and too much time off my bike.

mtbr member
    Ahhh pea green and gold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You could probably still ride. Switch up your bike (or get a beater) to have both brake levers on one side. There are a few one armed riders. Just keep it in the middle ring

WTF
    you only need one brake and one shifter. i run that all the time
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm bummed because today was my last day of commuting (for a good while). I'm not having surgery or anything though. (sorry about that man, get well soon!) I've been in various training classes for the last couple of weeks downtown, which is only a 4 mile ride (one way) for me. My actual job site is about 30 miles away (one way), so I'll be switching back to the motorcycle on Monday. I would KILL to be able to work downtown and ride my bicycle every day.

Possibly, my next project job site is about 12 miles away (one way... mostly uphill going there), and if I get assigned to that project, I'll be able to start pedaling to work again, so here's hoping.....

Ovaries on the Outside
    This is a terrible time of the year for surgery. You have my condolences, and I want your bike.

GpzGuy- motorcycles were created on the same day God created bicycles. A perfect day for me involves both. And a sexy lady, if I have time leftover.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    joshed, you might want to check around for a used recumbent or possibly a hybrid. Some of those have zero shoulder pressure. Some are dorky looking but it's only temporary. Some are cool if you can afford them.

I picked up a Pedersen at a garage sell because it looked unique. It turned out to be pretty comfortable.

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery
    Attached Images Attached Images

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I'm sorry that you have to spend that much time off of the bike (it would just kill me), but it sounds like it's for the best. Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    man!!! i feel for u!!

just recovered from an injury and that was about 1.5months... 3 is pretty long

Hope u recover asap!!

All the best =]
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the well wishes and advice!

I think I am either going to borrow or buy a trainer or just start hitting the gym regularly to spin. I need to at least hold onto some of my cardio and I am also stopping drinking while I am out. Actually pretty excited about it now.

Going under the knife tomorrow am. I just want that part to be over already...

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by joshed
    ... I am also stopping drinking while I am out. Actually pretty excited about it now.
    Excited for surgery so that you have an excuse to quit drinking... that is effin awesome. I've been on a bit of a bender myself. Maybe I should find something to get operated on.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    I don't have a drinking problem for sure, but I don't want to be gaining a bunch of weight while not having the choice to ride it off. I also want to come back from this strong and ready to get back to racing DH. I have heard from many that booze can slow the healing process etc. So I will cut it out completely for a couple months. I am excited and a little bummed. My homebrew IPA will be done in a few weeks. Haha

You are probably good just cutting back on the booze. Don't do anything too crazy. =]

Awesome dog btw. It it a pit mix?

ride the moment
    Wasn't trying to call you an alchy... it just struck me funny. No worries though, got no plans for sobriety or surgery in the future. Yeah she's pit/dalmation and one stellar trail dog.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    ha no worries.

Sorry I didn't make it online yesterday.

The surgery went well, turns out it was in a lot worse shape than they/I thought. The labrum was torn completely off and he was shocked my arm was staying in place at all.

They gave me a nerve block on my arm and I could not feel or control my arm at all until about 3am. I know this because I probably only slept about 3 hours total last night. Ugh. I need breakfast and pain meds.

Members who have read this thread: 0