Hydration Pack for Commuting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hydration Pack for Commuting?

I'm currently using a hydration comparable backpack, which works well for what my intended use is. But there's really no use for a 35L capacity most days. I just need to carry the basics, since my uniforms and shoes are kept at the service center and sent out with the uniform company for cleaning.

I was looking at the Bear Grylls 10L hydration pack. It seems to be large enough for a pair of undershorts, a few snacks, and the essentials one uses throughout the day.

Initially I was drawn to the Mule NV, but I can't justify that price. I have very good hiking backpacks, and have no need for something of that quality and size.

Anyone have any other recommendations?
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Osprey all the way. I have packs from the following companies:

REI: 35L internal frame
    Deuter: ~8L hydration pack for mountain biking, 50L pack I bought for a winter Mt Washington ascent
    Osprey: 65L pack for backpacking, 34L pack for commuting

The Ospreys are without question the nicest. So well thought out, great features. Two friends have Osprey hydration packs the same size as my Deuter and they're much better. Not necessarily in quality, the quality of the Deuter is great, but the features are so much better.

mtbr member
    I agree with Straz on Osprey. I have two Osprey packs -- the Talon 22, which I use for commuting, and the Rev 6, which I use for trail running. The Rev 6 could also function well as a commuting bag if you don't need to carry much. If you wanted more space, there's more sizes in the Rev series.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have an Ergon BC1 12L pack. It is always hot and humid here so I like the fact that the nylon frame keeps the body of the pack off my back increasing ventilation and reducing sweat. The other good thing about this pack is that the frame design keeps the weight on the hip strap and minimises it at the shoulders so it is very comfortable - you don't really notice it.

Moderator Moderator
    You may have noticed the Ospreys are not cheap either, but if you can swing it, or find last year's colors, etc. on sale, they are also incredibly durable. I use mine everyday (Manta 25), biking or not, overstuff it, and the zippers have never complained. The lifetime no questions asked warranty is for real, I sent mine back, no receipt needed, and they fixed a buckle, which I may have caught in the car door. I paid 1 way shipping only.