Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. so painful- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. so painful

Hurts so Bad
    I have been riding my new cobia for 2 weeks now. Like 80 km a day weekdays after not riding for 8 years andbeing out of shape. Someone burglularised my home and stole 8 years of my life work 3 weeks ago I decided I was going to bury ky self in my mountainbiking, get my healthback and now today the worst thing happened.

First woke up and am scared my youngest child might have the pigflu as he is showing flu symptoms...

Then I left and rode 35 kilometers on one of my fastest commutes and had an accident. I was in a small back alley street and I saw this guy on the side of the road trying to walk out in front of me it looked like on the shoulder of the road..

Then blam I hit a speed bump the same color as the street.. totally missed it and indo'd over my front handle pars feet locked in place and slammed head and shoulder into the pavement.

The Chinese walked around me as if nothing happened. I walked for about a kilometer then felt the most horrific pain I have ever felt.

Went to the hospital.. and then the doctors tok an exray and said somethinglike two tendons n my collar bone were ripped and I would need a surgery. First they said 10-15000 rmb, then their boss came in and saw I was a foriegner and was like "oh no... thats like 25000 rmb"

This is some serious cash. I can tell you that this hurts soo bad. They gave me morphine and some other pills Celecoxib.

That didnt really do anthing that I can tell. I cant stand up and have to hold my arm up and out words of my body in order to not feel any pain... I mean not bad pain. Even when I walk. MY woman has to hel me piss as I cant doi it myself. They put some kind of harness on me and a free hanging splint. I am under the impression they dont know how to make splints because I cant do anything unless Ihold my arm up with my other arm.

I need You help.

Can you help me with the following questions?

1)I can attach a picture of the x-ray and can someone tell me the name of what I have in English?

2) Whats a good a good painkiller,

3) how to make the proper splint?

4)and is an operation necessary?

And what is it that I have in English?

The google translation says:

"The right shoulder is sorrowful place right shoulder lock joint space widened, distal clavicle upward shift"

I hurt so bad. i need to take care of my two children and 25000 is so much/

5) Will I ever be able to ride again?

6) It hurts so bad.. when will it stop hurting?

Thanks for your help

Robert ...

Dead sad. Hurting.
    Attached Images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. so painful-smaller.jpg  

Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. so painful-img_0002.jpg  

Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. so painful-img_0001.jpg  

mtbr member
    uh.. this is a mountain biking forum, i'm sorry for your pain you got while riding your bike on the road, but i doubt any users here will be able to help you. you need a DOCTOR, unless someone here is a doctor i wouldn't take any advice.

you can start with tylenol as a painkiller, but then again i wouldn't take that advice because i'm not a doctor and it may interfere with any other medications you may need.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    tell me a better place if you know one?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiNSA

Simple test have some one pull your shoulders back, does it feel better???

If so tie a figure of eight bandage around your shoulders to keep them pulled back....

Birthday Collector
    Robert - I am not a doctor, but it looks like you have what is known as an "AC Separation" - at least. I did this years ago, and it was painful and my (partial separation/broken clavicle) took a while to heal and feel good again. (Couple of years before I could think about sleeping on my left side, 8 - 10 weeks to get back on my bike).
    The "keeping your shoulders back with a figure-8 splint" advice may be good, but you might want to get another medical opinion first - it is common for a broken collarbone that doesn't get operated on, but if there are other issues it may not be the right thing to do.

I take it you have no type of insurance? If the doctors there are not much help, and you are a "foriegner" to the country, I'd recommend a couple of things:

1) See if you can contact your embassy for some sort of assistance or advice - you do need a doctor, and probably a good one to keep this from being a long-term inury that will have life-long implications or even be crippling to some degree. At least maybe the embassy might have a doctor that can give you a better diagnosis or explain what the options are and the result of each.
    2) Is there any sort of nationalized health plan where you live (Edit: where you are originally from), or at least some sort of state welfare plan you might be able to get assistance through? Even if you have to return home to do it?

Personally, if I was living some place where people walked by someone who was obviously hurt badly, regardless of whether they appeared to be "different" or a foriegner, I think I would seriously re-think remaining in a society like that. If you have to go home because of this, it may not be that big a loss. If your partner is that big a part of your life, find some way to bring her along, unless where you are from will treat her like the Chinese treated you. In most western countries, there is enough cross-population with asian, african, middle eastern, etc... that shouldn't be too much issue, esp if you are from the UK or a US country/territory.

Good luck.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ATBScott gave you really good advice.

- Talk to your embassy
    - Get a second opinion
    - There are injuries which, if not treated promptly, will complicate themselves and make things harder later

Since you have money issues, the two cheapest things to do is talk to your embassy and get a second opinion.

If you need the surgery, then find the money and get it done. Go somewhere else and shop around on price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Check out www.tmbra.org. They have a "ask the bike doc" area in their forums. you will need to join, but Doc Nolan may be able to help.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    a doctors office and not a mountain biking forum where none of us know anything about medical related matters.
    RH SL Pro

Dec 2009
    I believe that's called a separated shoulder. You had better seek more medical help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've read that if you seperate your shoulder you can get it to go back in place by laying on a elevated surface, on your stomach and let your arm hang down, this will slip it back into place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca
    I've read that if you seperate your shoulder you can get it to go back in place by laying on a elevated surface, on your stomach and let your arm hang down, this will slip it back into place.
    That takes too long, and usually by then the weight of your arm won't be enough to pop it back in. The proper way to self reduce your shoulder is to sit on the ground with your knees up in front of you and with your good arm lift your dislocated arm up and hook your hands over your knee. Lean back away from your knees to pull your shoulder back into socket.

Frt Range, CO
    OMG, I hope I'm never stuck in the middle of nowhere asking the MTBR forum for medical advice. There's got to be a doc.com forum with doctors on it ?!?!?!?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    a doctors office and not a mountain biking forum where none of us know anything about medical related matters.
    There are a lot of experianced people in this forum give them more credit! There advice has been very valuable. I have tried every foruum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There are a lot of experianced people in this forum give them more credit! There advice has been very valuable. I have tried every foruum.
    What's the update on your situation? How's your arm?

mtbr member
    It looks like a separated AC joint to my completely untrained eye. Does the end of your injured collar bone stick up? There are discussions about fixing a dislocated shoulder which is different if that is the actual issue. For lower grade AC joint separations they heal themselves. For worse injuries, they don't do anything to fix the joint but cosmetically will cut the end of the collar bone.

Maybe try to contact ask-a-nurse in the states?

https://lasantaferena.com/blog/wp-co.../ac_joint1.png
    www.calortho.net/shoulder_ac.php
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    4 months later and it is a sore *****.... I hope that one day I can not feel the soreness... still cant sleep on it

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Man. Nasty. What you end up doing about it btw?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Trying to go the natural route. My left arm has replaced my right as the stronger... different wierd stuff like raising my arm to put a hat on my son when he is on my wifes back makes me think , **** that hurts... Its hard to put on a back pack....... I am sore and its strange... not sure if its going to get better or not... I am hoping it does... 4months... maybe a couple of more? i dont have a huge lump or qanything.. but I sure as hel ldont want any doctors around here cutting mee open.

I dream on two wheels
    4 months for a torn AC sounds too long of a recovery time to me. I have 3rd degree AC separations in both my shoulders and 8-10 weeks should be long enough to recover. I am in week 6 of my AC separation and its starting to feel a lot better. I can sleep on my side now and can lift heavier objects, If it still hurts too much to raise your arm or put a backpack on you should really see a doctor somehow. Also, you say your don't have a lump on top of your shoulder? That is usually a tell tale sign of an AC separation and if you don't have a lump something else might be wrong. Check out this thread also, might help. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...oulder+torn+ac
    Good luck.

-Simon
    Whiskey

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ x2. Since you posted this thread I had a friend sustain a 3rd degree AC separation snowboarding...he's well on his way to recovery, and still has a funky bump on his shoulder. But he's lifting quite a bit of weight, has full range of motion, etc.

If you wait too long they might not be able to do anything about whatever your issue is... there is a window of opportunity for reparing muscle injuries, for example...you might be outside of that already.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I can say that after riding hard the last week.. It feels Great! The strange thing is my opposite shoulder is hurting in the front under the collar bone. Its strange... not quite like a sore muscle. Never felt something like that before. I dont know if some how it is ****ed up too from the exercise..

I dream on two wheels
    I can say that after riding hard the last week.. It feels Great! The strange thing is my opposite shoulder is hurting in the front under the collar bone. Its strange... not quite like a sore muscle. Never felt something like that before. I dont know if some how it is ****ed up too from the exercise..
    Good to hear.
    Whiskey

Members who have read this thread: 0