How was your commute today? - Page 248- Mtbr.com
Page 248 of 249 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249 LastLast
Results 24,701 to 24,800 of 24841
    z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Woodway, those are some pretty rollers.

LOL, that bolt of energy just arced across a mile of open air to get to the ground but it isn't going to conduct though your wet tires. You hang on to that life raft. Maybe you should switch over to 42s when there is a storm. Sorry if I just ruined your lie.
    Good Idea, except my bike will only fit 40's. I'll just keep repeating my Mantra, "35's will insulate me!"

CB of the East
    Oh, I didn't realize you were repeating it as a mantra. That should work. My rain bike only has 28s so I'm screwed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

Jeremy how old is your son and what bike does he ride?

He is 12 and rides a Gary fisher steel frame 26” mountain bike. I am having him train up, his school is taking his class on 46km bike ride field trip so I’m trying to get him ready.

mtbr member
    I think your son will be allright jeremy. Most important thing is that he is having fun, the rest will follow.

Lovely day today. 2C this morning, 9C on the way home. Sunny blue sky with some clouds on the way home and hardly any wind.

Unfortunately my superquiet rural route is going to change. They are opening an construction site for a new highway that will cut perpendically through my route. I am sure there will be a bridge or something, but I am not sure about all the small rural gravel roads that I can use to vary my route. I was hoping german bureaucracy would efficently prevent it for another 15 years or so but today they were unloading excavators. So soon there will be no more roe deers, boars, bussards and such. I am sure they will find a new home somewhere and I know progress is important, but still....sigh...
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:38 PM.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    CDM,

Sorry to hear about the progress. I envy some of the routes many of you use to commute. Mine is almost entirely urban but, it does run along a couple of rivers and I do see a surprising amount of wildlife. It's just not as scenic as many of your rides.

A little drizzle on the way in, rain expected on my way home. Possibility of snow tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great rides today lovely weather and I got to laugh my way by a 5 km traffic jam. I don’t know why I find them so funny but I always laugh as I ride by a traffic jam. I never laugh when I am in one. Commuting by car is awful.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Great rides today lovely weather and I got to laugh my way by a 5 km traffic jam. I don’t know why I find them so funny but I always laugh as I ride by a traffic jam. I never laugh when I am in one. Commuting by car is awful.

There is a short section of my commute that runs parallel to the freeway separated by a concrete barrier and chain link fence. I get a huge kick out of flying by the cars creeping along at 5 to 10 mph, 7-16 kph.

Yours looks like a lovely commute!

Moderator Moderator
    Beutiful scenery Woodway, Jeremy & ZLR! Commutes have been uneventful. I did have to swirch bikes one morning because when I went to add air to the Litespeed's tire, the valve core shot out and disappeared. Since I had to roll, I grabbed the Terra.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No ride today. it was pouring this morning. I don't mind drizzle on the way in or rain on the way home but no rain in the morning. it's supposed to snow tomorrow! This year it has been real hard to get a full week's worth of commuting in due to weather.

MTBxpolrer, I wanted to ride my single speed in yesterday, so I inflated the tires to proper pressure the night before. I grab it yesterday mroning and the rear is completely flat. Had to ride the Cosmic Stallion instead. The spray coming off those 38's was impressive!!!

mtbr member
    Hey MTBX that is bad luck for you. Do you have a spare tube available? And what valve stem do you have? French, Car, Dunlop?

Jeremy that one pic with the traffic jam pretty much looks the same as over here at the moment. Seeing the pic makes me smile here too

Nice rides again today. Some sprinkles on the way home but nothing special.

The construction site is going to cross my route exactly here perpendically to the road:
    https://goo.gl/maps/Cfy8apsffpKAKGp97

CB of the East
    Hey MTBX that is bad luck for you. Do you have a spare tube available? And what valve stem do you have? French, Car, Dunlop?
    Presta obviously. They are well known for blowing off and disappearing especially in the fluffy snow.

Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    The spray coming off those 38's was impressive!!!
    But the lightning protection is superb.

No ride for me today either. Dentist appointment in the morning and CPR training in the evening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I am about to make my way home for the day, but wanted to say my ride in this morning was pretty smooth on the back end but at the start I was very anxious. For some reason, when I woke up today I had a pretty nervous stomach. I had gotten dressed everything ready to go and then I had that "gut gurgle" that tells you "Get to a toilet now". So, I had to make a "move"--I wear bibs so this had to be a very efficient "move". I was able to handle my business with no issues. I got a little late start then my previous commute days. I was a tad nervous for the first mile but my stomach settled in. The rest of the ride was very nice. It was cool (for Florida). The Bosch eBike drive has 4 modes: off | eco | tour | sport | turbo. Turbo is fun, but (1) I'm nervous that I'll run out of battery (2) I still want to use my morning ride as a "work out". I try to be conscious of my heart rate zone. The ride home, I just want to get home. So i'll leave out of here on Eco/Touring on the sidewalk portion, but once I can get to the Bike Lane section(s)...I crank the assist up and pretend I can keep up with traffic. I had a good day at work, so I'm looking forward to a nice ride home---though the temperature has crept up to high 80s (currently 88) so on the new pavement it might feel over 90! I drank a lot of water today and will drink 16 oz before dinner. Time to head out.

Moderator Moderator
    MTBxpolrer, I wanted to ride my single speed in yesterday, so I inflated the tires to proper pressure the night before. I grab it yesterday mroning and the rear is completely flat. Had to ride the Cosmic Stallion instead. The spray coming off those 38's was impressive!!!
    Cosmic stallion = awesome!

I did have a spare tube but not the spare time. The LBS gave me a couple valve cores, so when I went to fix it I did not have to cannibalize another tube, just threaded in the new core.

Presta obviously. They are well known for blowing off and disappearing especially in the fluffy snow.
    Correct, presta! And it turned out it was not the whole core, just the little piece you depress.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Every once in a while when I unscrew the plastic cap of a presta I'll accidentally unscrew the valve core with it. The tire deflates impressively fast (Aside: Yes, I know Lance Armstrong says throw the plastic cap away but I feel that it keeps grit from getting into valve. Lance would not know this because he has people who do this kind of stuff for him).

We are having a nice streak of weather - morning ride are in the low 50's evening rides in the upper 70's and plenty of sunshine. Nothing at all to complain about.

CB of the East
    I listened to Lance and throw the caps away. I don't need to carry around all that extra weight. So I have to unscrew my valve cores by hand. I've never had a grit problem.

Jelako, it sounds like turbo mode should be reserved for oppressively hot afternoons. Do you get to top off the charge at work?

We had a cold start to today for May, around 34F. But it was bright and sunny so I took a meandering route to work. This afternoon should be spectacular. It can't get here fast enough.

mtbr member
    It's Bike to Work Day in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. I stopped to say hello to the volunteers handing out snacks and swag bags at a local train station. It leaves me with a good feeling to see so much goodwill around bike commuting on these days, the last few years.

mtbr member
    Ha! Concerning lance armstrong, I refer to rule #4 . I ride tubes with car valve stems because I can use the pump at every gas station when I need to. And I have orange handgranate caps on them so I am always safe. And yes, french valve stem is named presta.

Jelako I dont wear bibs often but when, I have those without shoulder straps. It is simplier easier even when not in a hurry.

Bedwards that is an idea I never thought of, putting the ebike on highest power to not get boiled in the heat in summer. The idea of buying one is getting attractive I have to say....

Lovely day today. Temps went up to 17C on the way home and I made mental note to always wear a red or yellow shirt. I had a black one on today and that didnt really stand out in traffic, but I made it home without issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had a great ride in, it was beautiful weather, threatening to rain but never did. I beat my Monday and Tuesday rides in by a full 10min. That translates to 25kph instead of the 22.3kph from those other days. I actually was over 26kph average for the first 1 hour but had multiple stops and starts in the last 6km. Given the number of stops and slow downs for traffic in towns I think that is a pretty acceptable average speed. Especially for my old legs and my gravel geared salsa Fargo with ranger 27.5x3” on. I hope to post a few pictures of the return trip this afternoon. Have a great and safe day all.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Dutchman, don't give in to the ebike urge. It's a gateway drug. Before you know it you'll gain 10 kilos and end up riding a vespa.

Nice work jeremy!

80F going home yesterday. 55F into work this morning. Lovely weather for riding!

CB of the East
    Bedwards that is an idea I never thought of, putting the ebike on highest power to not get boiled in the heat in summer. The idea of buying one is getting attractive I have to say....
    I wasn't advocating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Dutchman, don't give in to the ebike urge. It's a gateway drug. Before you know it you'll gain 10 kilos and end up riding a vespa.
    BUT...It could be a gateway in both directions. Jelako may build his strength up so much on the e-bike that he ditches it for a pedal power bike that he doesn't have charge anxiety about.

I did a "Time trial" commute last night on the "rain bike" last night on the way home and managed 21.9MPH. I'm not sure I ever broke 20MPH on the Cross Check. It has more to do with percentage of headwind vs tailwind than anything else but it keeps the commute interesting. So far I have ridden the rain bike exclusively since I put the fat bike away. My other 8 bikes are just looking at me with a puzzle look.

I must say, my legs were pretty dead this morning. It was rainy and I averaged a whopping 14.6MPH. Happy Friday!

mtbr member
    Where I live, yesterday was bike to work day 2019.

As usual I left a few minutes early so I can stop at an "Energizer" station to pick up the free canvas shoulder bag with coupons, a freebie light sponsored by a law firm, and a few bike snacks.

It's good.

Not many riders about at 7 in the morning. Seemed typical.

Apparently they do a count of cyclists at these stations of all riders year over year. I wonder what the statistics are.

When I rode home from work, starting at 5:30 pm I began to see more cyclists, and when I hit downtown I decided this was the busiest cycling day I've seen all year.

Electric bikes are now a usual thing. I see one or a few each evening.

Bike to work day is nice. I don't think it gets much media attention.

Problem here is more people live too far from where they work to make cycling a realistic option for them. Even if it is convenient, they aren't riding.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

NDD
    mtbr member
    Only commuted two days this week. I've been swamped at work and have needed to use my truck to haul containers of soil. Not the most fun, but I actually should make a point of driving it once a week to make sure nothing needs maintenance. Old boy has 313k miles on it (mostly put on before I had it, only put on about 400 since February). Does pretty well, considering.

Great commute today. Kinda chilly and cloudy, but still a sweaty mess when I got to work. I think it's unavoidable on the single speed, especially considering most of my ride in is uphill.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Last two days were were pretty heavy rain with snow yesterday. Rode in today. I was hoping to ride the Macho Man but the tires I mounted on the new rims were all out of round. I have a similar but larger pair mounted on the Cosmic Stallion, Teravail cannonballs 700x38's, and they are the most concentric tires I've probably ever had mounted. These tires are the same but 35's instead, and are lumpy and wobble from side to side. Quite a surprise. I may try to unmount them the seat them again. my least favorite part of tubeless tires.

Otherwise, the ride in was nice but a little chilly. Temps were just above freezing but it is expected to be around 50F/10C on the way home with a chance of showers.

can't wait to get the Macho Man up and running again. The bigger tires on the Cosmic Stallion really do slow me down. My average commute for the 12.6 miles has been running between 44 and 45 minutes whereas on the Macho Man with the Donnelly X'Plor USH tires I was typically running around 41 minutes.

If I can't get the wobbles sorted out on the new wheels I will probably go back to running tubes and the Donnelly tires.

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to sneak in a genuine road ride this weekend. Happy weekend to all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jelako, it sounds like turbo mode should be reserved for oppressively hot afternoons. Do you get to top off the charge at work?
    Going full turbo would no doubt be fun. Easily attainable by bringing the charger to work, buying a second charger, or long term maybe another battery (but that's a distant...distant thought...they're very expensive). That said, Turbo on Bosch Performance motor is just an amazing feeling. The looks on "vespa"/moped riders is priceless as you're able to sustain with them. Runners on the sidewalk look bewildered as you truly fly by. Right now, I'm enjoying the bike in two mindsets: Go to work; Go home. Going to work, I'm incorporating it into a lifestyle change. Going to bed a little earlier, getting up earlier. I don't use strava as the forefront app...instead using my polar heart rate app in the forefont to keep my heart in fat burning range. The ride home is for my mental health. Enjoy the sunshine, get some vitamin "D", chase down other bikers...this is fantastic! Big Burly "IT" guy chasing down the lean spandex wearing guy is funny. Turbo has it's place for sure, but I can get the bike up to and sustained at 26-28 mph in Touring. As I said previously...I haven't even used "Sport" at all. The I75 overpass...yeah...i use Turbo so my heart doesn't explode through my shirt.

The idea of buying one is getting attractive I have to say....
    After 2 years of research, I'm completely biased by Trek & Bosch. Right now Trek is hosting eBike demo rides at all of their Trek Dealers: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/trek_test_rides/ They have scratch off tickets once you take a demo ride for prizes. I attended three different eBike demo/test ride events and I knew I wanted the Super Commuter. But, if you're looking for style points check out Electras brand new offering: https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/ca...o/cafe-moto-go Designed in the "cafe racer" mode. Same Bosch performance motor, comes standard with Brooks Saddle, Gates Drive System, Internal Geared hub. A little too hipster for me...I like my mid-life crisis "Viper Red" sportster.

2 years ago, eBikes (in North America) were only seen online and at test ride/demo events. Now every bike shop in my local area has several models on the floor. I will own an "eBike" of some sort for the rest of my life. I'm enjoying mine now, but I already have visions of what upgrades I'd like to do down the road. Upgrade Display/Computer. Move to Internal Geared Hub.

BUT...It could be a gateway in both directions. Jelako may build his strength up so much on the e-bike that he ditches it for a pedal power bike that he doesn't have charge anxiety about.
    I have to pay for this one first. After this one paid for, my next purchase will be a Full Suspension Niner or Trek (I like the new Single speed in the front and huge cassette in the back). I still have the 2011 Trek/Fisher X-Cal hardtail. But I want the full suspension next time for the Blue trails in my area (no reds for this guy). Now down the road, I still may consider a SportBrand Acme/Ajax. I was very close to buying Wazee a few years ago but went to my first eBike demo event and that put it on pause. As I said above, I will own an "eBike" for the rest of my life...they're just that fun. I think if i can drop "50" lbs this year and get my fitness up, I can cut another 10-15 minutes off my ride. Additionally, right now they just started extending the road by my house. It will be a 3 phase project that will eventually connect into my main stretch to work. It will easily cut 15 min off my ride. Right now I have to ride "out" a mile, cut "up" another mile, then ride "back" that mile. When this road project is done i'll be able to just shoot straight "up". That will be amazing. I already have it confirmed that it will have the dedicated bike lane for the entire length.

I"m anxious for all these road projects to finish over the next 18 months because the brand new bike lane on the state highway is the new DOT standard of 7 feet wide with double solid line (yes, "on the phone" knucklheads can still wipe a biker out...but they have to cross over 7 feet to do it). The new pavement is so smooth and it's just fast. I can't wait to get on that road, full turbo, and break the KOMs. ;-)

mtbr member
    Awkward standoff in the streets this morning. I was approaching a left turn, and a white car at a stop sign to my left started looking antsy. It was looking to make a left turn into my lane. I stopped to wait for on-coming cars to pass in front of the car, and it started rolling out into the road. I thought it'd stop, since I was blocking it and cars were about to enter the intersection, but it just kept on rolling until it was completely blocking that lane of traffic. I couldn't really go anywhere. The white car didn't have room to execute the turn it was looking to make, so slowly looped right and around the back side of my bike. At least the SUV, which had to stop for the white car, was kind enough to wave me through to turn in front of him.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Awkward standoff in the streets this morning. I was approaching a left turn, and a white car at a stop sign to my left started looking antsy. It was looking to make a left turn into my lane. I stopped to wait for on-coming cars to pass in front of the car, and it started rolling out into the road. I thought it'd stop, since I was blocking it and cars were about to enter the intersection, but it just kept on rolling until it was completely blocking that lane of traffic. I couldn't really go anywhere. The white car didn't have room to execute the turn it was looking to make, so slowly looped right and around the back side of my bike. At least the SUV, which had to stop for the white car, was kind enough to wave me through to turn in front of him.
    Makes me wonder WTH the driver was thinking? At least the SUV driver had both common sense and courtesy! Glad it ended well for you!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Another pretty ride not as fast but always as fun.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post

2 years ago, eBikes (in North America) were only seen online and at test ride/demo events. Now every bike shop in my local area has several models on the floor.
    My LBS has an insane Orbea Gain, the lightest electric gravel bike on earth at 27 lbs. And it looks like a regular gravel bike https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/road/gain-all-road

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Happy National Bike to Work Week

My goal, despite only riding 2 weeks is to ride all 5 days this week. Legs are fine. Saddle soreness is not even a factor. It's between the shoulder blades (left side) just below my neckline. It's not horrid; but very, very tender. Usually around the "30" minute mark.

The new "7 foot" wide bike lane is 90% complete for my ride in. They're wrapping up the east bound lanes. The west bound lane has one lane done but it's the inside lane. When this section is done, i'll bet I can cut 8-10 minutes off my ride. It will ride so fast.

Every week is "bike to work weeK" for you guys, but it is nice that there is a calendar week to bring more awareness.

CB of the East
    Jelako, if you make your strava private how do you expect people to stalk you? That's OK, you got some kudos anyway. Happy bike to work week.

I think we are going to jump right from late winter to early summer. Today wasn't too bad, around 40F but tomorrow actually has the word snow in the forecast. Supposed to rain all day and not get out of the 30s with a 20MPH breeze. Bike to work week. Hmmm. Considering the car,

I actually pulled out the TT bike. I'm loving the "rain bike" but this thing's a rocket.

mtbr member
    Co-workers are starting to get cycling too now that the sun is out. Had company this morning, during the ride to lunch and back and on the way home

The controlcenter granted me a week off in October to spend for myself. I have enough plans in the drawer but first have to decide whether to go seakayaking or cycling.

Concerning the cycling plans: Is it possible for someone who lives/rides/trains on sealevel to climb and ride to an elevation of ~7000ft? The climb would be stretched over ~100km/60m and I would make it in 1,5 days. Want to be on the foot of the mountain before noon, then take the cable car to the top at 12,000ft and back, then head downwards a bit for the night.

mtbr member
    I've seen this SUV with a big spoiler in the back pass people recklessly in the past, but today he did it right in the lane in front of me, which was a bit nerve-wracking since he was headed straight towards me for a couple seconds. Ironically, the car he was passing was wanting to pull into the left turn lane (the lane the SUV was occupying). I was approaching the intersection in the other left turning lane. Fortunately, the SUV sped around the car and swerved back into the correct lane before he reached me. Drivers are crazy.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    CDM,

Spread over 1.5 days, I'd say yes. The biggest hurdle will be climbing from 1500M to 2100M. The air being a little thinner will impact your performance some but I think you will be fine. You may have to spin a little more.

CB of the East
    Concerning the cycling plans: Is it possible for someone who lives/rides/trains on sealevel to climb and ride to an elevation of ~7000ft? The climb would be stretched over ~100km/60m and I would make it in 1,5 days. Want to be on the foot of the mountain before noon, then take the cable car to the top at 12,000ft and back, then head downwards a bit for the night.
    I wouldn't think it would be too bad. If you were riding to 12K yes but 7K I think is fine. I ride at sea level and when we did our trip to Utah we were hiking around 7000 ft. and I didn't notice any difference.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ You'll be fine Dutchman. Stretching that climb over 100m and 1 or more days will make it enjoyable

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Im pretty sure youll be fine. This past feb i did snowboard vac at Mammoth mt. The town is at 7800’. Daily activities dont feel it but def i felt when exerting. You just go a little slower. If t was another story altogether when i was with buddy snowboarding summit of Mauna Kea, which is 13,000+’. It was take four steps rest, take another for and rest again, and when finally got to top of run, collapse on ground and rest for what felt like half an hour. And then my friend developed altitude sickness, not fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jelako, if you make your strava private how do you expect people to stalk you? That's OK, you got some kudos anyway. Happy bike to work week. .
    i was thinking it would encourage "follower" invites. :-)

Moderator Moderator
    Well, they changed tonight's forecast in VT from several inches of snow, but 1/4 " of cold rain at 37F is no fun either in mid-May. On the plus side, had a good ride yesrday on the local trails after some trail crew work on my adopted trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your experiences guys. I read some scientific stuff about it too and it seems workable. Will have to sort out other bits like avoiding traffic. And I am now debating if I make the 11km hike to the top at 12,000 instead of taking the cable car, but I would make sure that I have a whole day for it and to leave very early. I also found out that there is a bus on that my route so I have a plan B if cycling doesnt work bcause of fitness, weather or traffic.

This is the route I want to go in 2 days: https://maps.app.goo.gl/UjnruQWdyWygY6FeA very scenic, but could also be busy....

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ride your bike to work week, Day 2

Well, I got to ride in my first real rain storm. It wasn't too bad. I don't mind being rained on at all. Luckily the Bontrager "trunk" I use has a "rain jacket" for the bag. My wife didn't recognize my bag and thought I bought a new bag...we had a good laugh as I demonstrated that it had its own rain poncho.

The ride in this morning was very pleasant. Because of all the rain it was much cooler. Which got me thinking. Right now most of you guys are riding in "30"-"40" degree weather. I have to make it through the summer, but come next fall/winter there are mornings when it is "30"-"40". I'm sure once you ride every day, your body acclimatizes much better than being in an AC car on your commute and walk in to an AC building. That being said, what kind of "layers" do you guys look for? Where do you guys shop for cycling gear? All my bibs are "shorts" but it might be a good idea to have a pair of full length thermal bibs. I have a few long sleeve "base" layers by Nike/Under Armour but I don't have a "thermal" or "fleece" 2nd layer. I have a Columbia jacket for wind/rain but on my wish list (say when I lose 50 lbs.) is the Gortex "Shakeoff" jacket (that's a long term goal...they're quite expensive).

I have both a Nike and an Under Armour account but if you guys could recommend a cycling specific sites, i'm going to keep my eyes peeled for bargains/closeouts/discounts.

CB of the East
    i was thinking it would encourage "follower" invites. :-)
    Fine!

Dutchman, that is going to be quite a trip! The views from the top of that island mountain must be spectacular. Hiking from 7000 to 12000 feet in 11Km sounds like it will be a bigger challenge than the biking. I can't offer any advice there. I don't think I have ever been over 10K ft.

Jelako, you riding in 30-40F may be different than us northerners. But yes, I think you will want some tights. Look for ones that say "thermal" or fleece lined. They have a very thin layer of fleece. Regular tights don't do much to keep your legs warm. I like a long sleeved 100% merino wool base layer under a windbreaker for those temps. You can up the base layer to a softshell for more warmth. I've been meaning to write a blog post about cold weather layering. Maybe I'll finish it before you have to even think about it again. Aerotech Designs has a good selection of cycling gear with a lot of sizing options.

Speaking of cold, man, it is in the 30s and raining. I brought the truck in so I can drop it at the shop tomorrow. I'll ride home. I think the furnace is going to run until July.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I think the ride will be fine Dutchman. As bedwards points out that hike at the end will be the most difficult part. My place in the Seattle area is at about 500 ft. and I ride/hike up to 6000 to 8000 ft. on a pretty regular basis and while I can tell I am at elevation, it's not a particular problem. I've been as high as 12,000 feet and yes up there you most definitely feel it!

bedwards is right on with the thermal fleece tights. I wear them in the winter for rain rides and find them very comfortable.

53F and dry on the ride in this morning. Supposed to be raining for the ride home.

mtbr member
    Bedwards, Woodway, thanks for your experiences, that helps a lot. I have been thinking of doing the hike "backwards". I found out there is a hostel near the top cable car station so I could take the cable car, sleep in the hostel and hike downwards. This should take the sharpest edges of the plan. Or I face reality and skip the hike. It is going to be quite a challenge already, but we all know, no pain no gain will now have to see if I can get a relatively cheap flight.

For temps just around/above freezing, I do not wear so much, but I dress up extra from head to toe. I have some sort of merino longsleeve, a windstopper jacket with a thin fleece lining, a Buff covering ears, nose and closing the gap between collar and neck. On my head a helmet with helmet cover and glasses. Extra windstopper pants or pants with a fleeceliner in it, and the pant legs are folded into shoecovers to close the gap there.

In general, I prefer Merino over polyester clothing. I also prefer clothing with a windstopper instead of a membrane like GoreTex. I usually sweat to much for a membrane to breathe through and the rest of the sweat is dripping out of my sleeves....Windstopper can be waterproof for a while in drizzle or light rain, if you give it a treatment with DWR every year, like with NikWax or FiberTec.

Nice again over here. Sunny and little winds, I like it

CB of the East
    Merino wool all the way! My goal is to get all my shirts to be merino wool.

Jelako, you might not be thinking of wool shirts in Florida but it has magical anti stink power. You can get light weight tee shirts that are cool in the summer. the thin ones do tend to be more delicate than cotton. For a cool weather base layer I recommend this one. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6566...0quarter%20zip I have had one for 4-5 years and wear it 5 days a week sometimes. Polyester gets too gross to wear in less than 1 ride but merino gets you to work smelling fine. Look for 100% not blends.

Dutchman, the 1 way hike does sound like a decent compromise. But, you might run into problems going from sea level to 12,000 feet in 1.5 days and spending the night at that height. You're probably in for a decent headache if you do that. And don't forget to bring your merino wool!

mtbr member
    Commute to work this morning did not suck. Finally warm enough here to wear short sleeves in the morning. Gotta love Spring!!
    How was your commute today?-img_6773-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I like a long sleeved 100% merino wool base layer under a windbreaker for those temps.
    I have some sort of merino longsleeve...

In general, I prefer Merino over polyester clothing.

Jelako, you might not be thinking of wool shirts in Florida but it has magical anti stink power. You can get light weight tee shirts that are cool in the summer. the thin ones do tend to be more delicate than cotton. For a cool weather base layer I recommend this one. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6566...0quarter%20zip I have had one for 4-5 years and wear it 5 days a week sometimes. Polyester gets too gross to wear in less than 1 ride but merino gets you to work smelling fine. Look for 100% not blends.
    I have a birthday and father's day next month, so maybe a Merrino Shirt for the summer would be nice, but doing a Google search and getting up to speed on Merrino Wool (special sheep!), I will definitely have a long sleeve one this fall/winter:

https://www.amazon.com/SmartWool-Mer...011&th=1&psc=1

SmartWool Merino 150 Base Layer was consistently a top rated shirt.

https://www.amazon.com/SmartWool-Men...orr&th=1&psc=1

SmartWOol Merino 250 Base Layer was the most recommended shirt.

Now I get to research 150 vs. 250 Base Layer.

CB of the East
    Looks like the 150 isn't 100%.
    I also have one of these. It is very similar to the LL bean one. Maybe slightly heavier. -33 is a good brand too. I also have some of their t-shirts.
    https://www.amazon.com/Minus33-Merin...%2C149&sr=1-12

mtbr member
    Funny, smartwool is the one that gets the best reviews and mine are getting small holes. I also have some from icebreaker and super.natural, those are better and also 100% merino. I wear them usually for a whole week (10 rides) and they dont stink. The first 2 washes are different though, in the beginning they do smell like a wet sheep.

For winter, make sure to get some with a turtle neck and quarter zip.

In my previous posting I forgot to mention that I have thin gloves that I tuck in my sleeve and tighten the sleeves with the velcro round them.

Make sure that all transitions between layers etc are windtight. Thickest jacket doe doesnt help when he air is blowing into your sleeves, collar, waist and when there is a gap between jacket and pants.

Actually from sealevel, I would have 2.5 days to get to the upper cable car station. I am rethinking and I will downscale the plan a bit....

Bedwards, thanks for your pm with the link. Will now go and read

mtbr member
    PS you can see how it looks on the mountain when you turn on streetview. Its cluttered with 360degree pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

...!
    I completely agree with this. My skivies, socks, and most of my shirts are merino and I will never go back.

No commutes yet for me this week. My bike needs a new bottom bracket, ordered, but with life and work busyness I have had no time to install it. Hopefully tomorrow night I can do it and commute Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ride your bike to work week - Day 3

Legs not quite as lively. Huge plug for Brooks saddles: 3 straight days...no saddle soreness. I used my "tens" device on my shoulders. The left side is still very, very tender after about 30-40 minutes of riding. Everything I've read is that it's fatigue and will improve over time. I will shock it and ice it again tonight...i'm going all 5 days.

I departed a little later than usual and was taking it a little easier, so I got to see the sunrise during the ride instead of at the end. Which also put me at particular corner a little later where apparently the sprinklers are on a timer. With my back turned, waiting to cross the road--i got a full blast of a sprinkler against my back side and my entire right leg. I got drenched pretty well. The "broken" errant sprinkler head that was efficiently watering the sidewalk and not the grass. That'll teach me for riding easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    USA Today article on eBikes and commuting:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ng/1162050001/

mtbr member
    Double rainbow across the sky this morning.

"What does it all mean?"

How was your commute today?-60532158_407713603415860_7460932593488232448_n.jpg

CB of the East
    ^^Um, it's raining, the sun is out and it is either morning or afternoon because rainbows can't happen at mid-day. Well maybe way up north. Fun fact, all rainbows are double but you usually can't see the outer one. And, the colors of the outer rainbow are reversed.
    ...i'm going all 5 days.
    That's the spirit!

Despite the forecast to the contrary, the ride home last night was in some cold light rain. It would have been better if I hadn't sent the raincoat home and kept the windbreaker. It wasn't too bad. This morning was just cold and damp.

Tonight we're joining a "Ride of Silence". Is anybody else here riding in one? ::Ride of Silence:: Home - '0 words spoken - A million

mtbr member
    Funny, smartwool is the one that gets the best reviews and mine are getting small holes. I also have some from icebreaker and super.natural, those are better and also 100% merino. I wear them usually for a whole week (10 rides) and they dont stink. The first 2 washes are different though, in the beginning they do smell like a wet sheep.
    My wife has mandated use of merino wool for all rides that end in her vicinity. And indeed, it's no where near as durable as a polyester jersey, probably only has a quarter of the lifespan. Which casts doubt on the economics of $$$ stuff like Icebreaker, which I was going through way too fast for the pricepoint. I ended up buying a case of the generic merino tops from costco where were less than half as much for commuting use.

And I have a wool top by Endura that for the first six weeks gave a horrid sheep-and-chemical smell when wet. It's since completely lost that and become one of my favorite tops.

On topic: The road was completed dry for the ride in this morning. I seriously cannot remember the last time that happened.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    ^^Um, it's raining, the sun is out and it is either morning or afternoon because rainbows can't happen at mid-day. Well maybe way up north. Fun fact, all rainbows are double but you usually can't see the outer one. And, the colors of the outer rainbow are reversed.
    The crying part was a joke. In case anyone didn't see this back in the day: https://youtu.be/OQSNhk5ICTI.

You can't tell by the pic, but the double part of the rainbow was so close to the other one it appeared like one monster rainbow. Pretty cool. It was a complete surprise, since there really wasn't rain in the area except for one tiny spot (apparently). Commute was pleasant and dry.

CB of the East
    HaHa, no, I missed that reference.

mtbr member
    I can brag even better I was once in an aircraft on a window seat. The sun was shining on a rainshower and below to the left of the plane I could see a full circle rainbow. Unfortunately, that was in the pre-smartphone era so no camera at hand....

thanks Jelako for the remark, I indeed did not see the double rainbow at first.

My Merino longsleeves are holding up already for some years, maybe because I am not wearing a backpack or anything, so no stress on the fabric.

Sunny rides again today. Probably raining tomorrow but I dont care - bring it on

Moderator Moderator
    Well yesterday was snowier than forecast:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-snow2019.05.14.jpg  

How was your commute today?-field.2019.05.14.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How was my commute today. Let's see. I started out by having to squeeze by four douchebag road riders going 12 MPH spread completely across the 15 foot wide bike path who refused to acknowledge my bell and insistent "on your left" pleas. Boulder. You understand now, right?

A few miles later, I had a dance with three people walking on the path in the opposite direction. Same deal, they were spread across the entire path, but in this case they could see me coming. I slowed to about 5 MPH and moved as far as I possibly could to the right, whereupon the person walking on the left going the opposite way started going back and forth, left-right-left-right and finally stepped off the path on the LEFT side (her direction). It ain't rocket science, or is it?

A few miles later, on the four-lane, 30 MPH, median separated parkway, at a stop sign as I waited in the left lane, doing a trackstand with left arm out as a signal, a guy in a car going the other way waiting to turn right sat looking at me for 10 seconds, so I finally went, just as he punched it and came about a foot from taking me out.

So yeah, pretty normal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Bike to work week - Day 4

Really concentrated on my posture. My legs are fine. Zero saddle sorness. So, I think I'll just keep commuting on bike next week with the goal of going 5 days a week through June.

The morning rides are still cool, so I'm not showing up to work completely sweaty head to toe. The ride home, though, I'm showing up sweaty. I have the ability to shower at work, but I am trying something different. Walmart has these "freeosk" vending machines that let you try sample of various products. A few weeks back: "Dude Wipes" was the free item, and I got two "Dude Showers". It's basically "baby wipes for grown adults", but the "Dude Shower" was actually the size of a wash cloth and a little thicker. It cleaned up the "Dude Parts" quite effectively. Until mid/late June through July & August I should be able to get away with "Dude Wipes"/"Dude Shower". During the summer, I do use Body Powder simply because it's miserable in Florida humidity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    No thanks! I'll keep upper 40s/low 50s in the mornings and 60s/70s in the afternoons.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    HaHa, have you planted the garden yet?

I have the ability to shower at work,... "Dude Parts" ...miserable in Florida humidity.
    Or you could just take advantage of that shower!

honkinunit, sounds like the reason I hate bike paths.

We did the ride of silence last night. OMG that was slow, below coasting speed.

Nice ride in this morning.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    MTBX - wow, it's mid-May, right? Holy Smokes.

bedwards - what's the ride of silence?

honkinunit - yeah bikepaths. Pack your patience.

jelako - after a while you won't be counting the days in a row you rode, rather the days in a row you did not ride. Personally I'd just use the shower if it's available. So much more satisfying than a towel bath.

A couple of rainy days here. Not heavy, just your typical Seattle drizzle. No big.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    MTBxplorer,

Wow, that's what it looked like here last week. Amazing how it can snow one day and be 80 two days later!

On last nite's ride home I kept going and hit the single track trails. By the time I got to the trails the temps had finally dipped into the 70's making it a lot more enjoyable!

Today's ride in was great. Rode about half way in with a guy that always passes me then I end up catching him. I think we both enjoy the chase! Perfect weather, 59 degrees!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    How was my commute today. Let's see. I started out by having to squeeze by four douchebag road riders going 12 MPH spread completely across the 15 foot wide bike path who refused to acknowledge my bell and insistent "on your left" pleas. Boulder. You understand now, right?

A few miles later, I had a dance with three people walking on the path in the opposite direction. Same deal, they were spread across the entire path, but in this case they could see me coming. I slowed to about 5 MPH and moved as far as I possibly could to the right, whereupon the person walking on the left going the opposite way started going back and forth, left-right-left-right and finally stepped off the path on the LEFT side (her direction). It ain't rocket science, or is it?

A few miles later, on the four-lane, 30 MPH, median separated parkway, at a stop sign as I waited in the left lane, doing a trackstand with left arm out as a signal, a guy in a car going the other way waiting to turn right sat looking at me for 10 seconds, so I finally went, just as he punched it and came about a foot from taking me out.

So yeah, pretty normal.
    I hate when the day goes like that. I consider myself very fortunate that almost all of my commute is on a bike path. The first .8 miles is on roads, and the last maybe half a mile is too. this time of year the paths are the worst in the afternoon when groups of people are getting together for their first group rides and, like you said, riding four abreast. Still beats driving!

Signed me and my son up for bike to work day on June 26 it'll be our fifth year running.

CB of the East
    bedwards - what's the ride of silence?
    An excruciatingly slow ride: http://www.rideofsilence.org ...Pack your patience. I don't think it was for me. Instead of thinking of those that passed, I was thinking that we could honor them just as much if we didn't drag the brakes to slow to 8MPH going down the hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    .... It ain't rocket science, or is it? .....

MTBX that looks like a lot of snow, did you ride anyway?

Sounds good Jelako! Nice that you are going strong

Beat the rain here today. It did rain during the day a lot, but apparently the rain did not want to fall on me. My co-worker was happy about it, he didnt bring any rainproof clothing.

Lots of animals today, in order of appearance: Geese, roe deers, a jumping 30cm carp, musk rat, 2 squirrels and as a bonus a seagull within the plant that made its nest on a 50cm wide grass strip between pedestrian way and road next to a big crossing. When I rode home security had made some poles with red/white "line" around the nest. (similar to your yellow "police do not cross" line). Cant wait for the eggs to hatch

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

jelako - after a while you won't be counting the days in a row you rode, rather the days in a row you did not ride. Personally I'd just use the shower if it's available. So much more satisfying than a towel bath.
    The only reason I'm counting like this is that it's "National Bike to Work Week" with Friday being "National Bike to Work Day". After tomorrow, no more counting. I plan on just riding all 5 days next week too. I feel fine.

Not heavy, just your typical Seattle drizzle. No big.
    Are you close to "downtown" Seattle? Have you ever visited the Cannon Bar? My family is taking an Alaska cruise this summer (July) and have a zero-dark thirty flight out of Florida arriving in Seattle, where we have the whole day before boarding the cruise ship. I understand that the "Cannon Bar" is #6 in the top 50 whiskey bars of the world. Do you have any tips/feedback on Cannon Bar?

mtbr member
    this time of year the paths are the worst in the afternoon when groups of people are getting together for their first group rides and, like you said, riding four abreast.
    Yep..... and then you add in this guy:

The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Moderator Moderator
    First BMX cruiser bikecommute of the season, fun and surprisingly speedy. The extra-long seatpost on it is not stylish, but really helps with the high rpm pedaling on a BMX for 8 miles.

I did not ride in the the snowy day. The roads were better than the fields, but I had promised a ride to a coworker getting his truck inspected and he did not want to ride on the handlebars, lol. Favors to people with trucks nearly always pay off.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Are you close to "downtown" Seattle? Have you ever visited the Cannon Bar? My family is taking an Alaska cruise this summer (July) and have a zero-dark thirty flight out of Florida arriving in Seattle, where we have the whole day before boarding the cruise ship. I understand that the "Cannon Bar" is #6 in the top 50 whiskey bars of the world. Do you have any tips/feedback on Cannon Bar?
    Around here things are generally divided into Seattle which is between Puget Sound and Lake Washington, and everything else. I live in everything else on the east side if Lake Washington. Downtown Seattle would be about a 10 or 12 mile ride.

I get into Downtown Seattle now and then, but your post if the first time I have ever heard of the Canon Bar...I had to look it up. I enjoy the occasional glass of wine but whiskey is lost on me, sorry. I can tell you it's in an area called Capitol Hill near the Seattle University campus. It would be about a mile walk from downtown Seattle. Have a good time on your cruise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Happy National Bike to Work Day 2019

Today was the coolest morning of the week, but I was pretty pumped to have made all 5 straight days of National Bike to work week. After this week (for me), it will no longer be an "event" it will just "be".

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Here today is "Ride Everywhere Day" instead of "Bike to Work Day". I guess those semantics are important to someone. Of course it's raining today which is going to put a dent in the rider counts for the day. Since I fall under rule #9, I of course rode today

CB of the East
    We got a damp start to ride to work day. It wasn't raining when i started but it was when I finished. Almost not enough to claim rule #9. I'm hoping it lets up for the afternoon because I have to ride 20 miles to pick up my truck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Here today is "Ride Everywhere Day" instead of "Bike to Work Day". I guess those semantics are important to someone.
    The League of American Bicyclists ;-)

https://bikeleague.org/bikemonth

https://bikeleague.org/content/bike-...dates-events-0

After today, for me, it will just be the way I get to work. I just used this week as a goal to go all 5 days straight. Next week, it will be 5 days because, that's who I am now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Since I fall under rule #9, I of course rode today
    Almost not enough to claim rule #9.

(Sheepishly looks around...I don't know of these rules)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great rides both ways today, both directions. I still need a new chain and bottom bracket hopefully I’ll have time this weekend to change them both out. Have a great weekend everyone.

CB of the East
    There's a link at the bottom of cyclingdutchman's posts. They range from very practical to very tongue in cheek. The website is a little broken at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It is quoted further up but here it is again just so people know. To be clear I am not saying my stance on these rules but these are the ones referred to.

http://www.velominati.com/

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There's a link at the bottom of cyclingdutchman's posts. They range from very practical to very tongue in cheek. The website is a little broken at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    It is quoted further up but here it is again just so people know. To be clear I am not saying my stance on these rules but these are the ones referred to.

Velominati ›

Cheers.
    I'm a violator of many...MANY of these rules.

#SunsOutGunsOut

CB of the East
    HaHa, Just this year I decided to try Rule #33. I will say, it is "different". Other than looking dead sexy (for a 50+ year old) it makes looking for ticks after mountain biking or hiking a lot easier. I think that is the biggest benefit.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    HaHa, Just this year I decided to try Rule #33. I will say, it is "different". Other than looking dead sexy (for a 50+ year old) it makes looking for ticks after mountain biking or hiking a lot easier. I think that is the biggest benefit.

Hmm, tried pouring some milk on my legs and letting the cat lick em, but it didn't work. Cat coughed up a huge hairball and my legs were chaffed for days!

CB of the East
    Hmmm, you must have got that idea from the same handbook you use for lightning protection.

Actually, mine started with 2 drunk women cyclists (one was my wife) and a pair of clippers. If you mention that you might be interested in trying that you better be ready to follow through. They thought it sounded like a great idea.

Since I've been skimping on the pictures since the snow has been gone. I don't mean to make jeremy do all the work. I would have taken a sunnier one but the sun hasn't shined here much lately.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

Up In Smoke
    Refer to rule #5

mtbr member
    Bedwards that is a really sleek good looking bike!

I am now thinkng to change my signature to "there are no rules" the website somehow never works well and I dont know why. Maybe just with some browsers or systems.

Afaik the pros shave their legs to have less dirt in their wounds after a crash and to make the massage more enjoyable. But that one with the milk and cat sounds good to me too.

Went home early today and it was quite warm, 16C. No detour today but we went on a small family ride to the next icecream shop and adjacent playground, which added approx 8km/5m to todays commute. Rode all days this week. Bike2work day here is june 4, b2w week does not exist I believe. I did sign up to b2w month, from end of august to end september.

Have a nice weekend every1!

mtbr member
    The League of American Bicyclists ;-)

https://bikeleague.org/bikemonth

https://bikeleague.org/content/bike-...dates-events-0

After today, for me, it will just be the way I get to work. I just used this week as a goal to go all 5 days straight. Next week, it will be 5 days because, that's who I am now.
    Ah, apparently it was national Bike to Work Day in the US today... weird that it was on a different day in May in the Bay Area.

I feel more alive on the days I bike commute. I'm looking forward to getting back to 5 days a week, after a couple of injuries and other life intrusions.

Moderator Moderator
    It rained pretty hard this morning but let up in time for bike to work day. I offered to lead a bikecommuter "train" from the LBS, and had 1 taker. She had a great time but was a bit chilly with temps in the mid 40's, the roads being so wet/no fenders, and only wearing bike shorts/jersey. She has set a goal of bikecommuting 2x a week and rec riding 2 days a week.

I really like to be comfortable on my ride, not to hot, not too cold. I wore knickers and a jacket, and have full fenders. When I got to work there was only 1 bike in the rack, but it was not promoted at work and the weather discouraged some of the fair weather riders. One dope in a school bus honked at us, I think the driver thought they were being polite, not rude.

Sunday is a Take a Kid Adventure Biking again. I was not able to Take a Kid but I am going to go help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Well I was right my bottom bracket was bad. Got it out and it felt like gravel. That’s the good news. The bad news was I bought the wrong replacement and now have to wait for the right one before I can fix it.

mtbr member
    That sucks, same with me, i have a little play on my bb and recently bought a Phil Wood bb with bad bearings, replaced them and wanted to put the Phil Wood bb in, then i found out that Phil uses a different spline tool then Shimano
    After a few strong thoughts towards Phil Wood i found out that their bb and spline version are longer excisting then Shimano’s
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo under construction

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Shadow View Post
    That sucks, same with me, i have a little play on my bb and recently bought a Phil Wood bb with bad bearings, replaced them and wanted to put the Phil Wood bb in, then i found out that Phil uses a different spline tool then Shimano
    After a few strong thoughts towards Phil Wood i found out that their bb and spline version are longer excisting then Shimano’s
    Yeah I’m starting to think Shimano is actually the oddball. But I still love them.

mtbr member
    I really love their derailleurs and XT flatpedals, oh and the 8 speed Nexus igh. For most of the rest there is a better choice
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Strange omens today. Just as I arrived at work a bird flew into a window above me and dropped dead practically at my feet. Shortly after I left work I saw a balloon floating away from a child.

Windy today...thunderstorms about to let loose but held off long enough for me to run some errands.

mtbr member
    As long as you don't understand the snakes talking and an old scar turns itchy, i would not be tó concerned...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Took the weekend to recover. Felt fresh this morning. Temperature was perfect. I made really good time. Family and Friends are now starting to become aware of me committing to bicycle commuting, so now people are linking me articles.

This is my recent favorite, and why I'll be stopping at the Dollar Store soon:

https://qz.com/1620913/the-best-cycl...rce=reddit.com

mtbr member
    I drove in this morning. Last night, I had chills and didn't sleep well. My muscles are a bit sore this morning. I might have been dehydrated, or maybe I overdid it over the weekend. I did a trail ride on Friday night, did trail work on Saturday (then later worked out), and ran 3.8 miles on Sunday. I hope I'm not getting sick. I haven't taken a sick day in years. Whatever the case, riding in didn't seem to be the best idea.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Strapped for time as I was procrastinating, so I did a short hill climbing route into workon the single speed. I don't know that I've ever sweat so much when it's under 65 degrees out. Broke my record up the big hill by about 20 ish seconds. It's not very steep but my single speed technique is getting better.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

CB of the East
    This is my recent favorite, and why I'll be stopping at the Dollar Store soon:

https://qz.com/1620913/the-best-cycl...rce=reddit.com
    I read that article and my first thought was that some people (possibly the kind in pickup trucks that like to scream at you, not that I want to stereotype) would see that as a target and see if they could just tap the pool noodle as they pass. No thanks.

CAN'T WE JUST SETTLE ON ONE BOTTOM BRACKET TOOL!

I agree with flushing shadow, if you start understanding snakes that is bad. If you happen to see 13 black cats walking under a ladder...also bad.

The commute was fine. I'm hoping all the day's thunderstorms happen while I'm at work. Because I have to ride 20 miles away from home to go pick up my truck.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No commute today, rain today and more forecast for tomorrow with the chance of snow. I have a board meeting to attend tomorrow after work so I wouldn't be riding anyway, but was really wanting to ride today.

Rode in all five days last week. Only the second or third time this year.

Didn't get a chance to ride this weekend. Had to play sprinkler repairman all weekend at my house and my mother's. Good new is, the systems are all repaired, the bad, it rained so we don't them them the next couple of days, lol.

mtbr member
    Hi Z1R, still well done on the sprinklers and I hope you can improve on your riding!

I hate Shimano:
    -I replaced the Deore BB with an XT one last Christmas and the Centerlock Ring tool fits the Deore one, but the XT one only with an adapter.
    -The PD T420 Pedal can only be taken apart with an adapter.
    -The brakelever part of the Tiagra brifters moves inwards and shifts when you grab it to brake => That can even be dangerous.

Needless to say, I have all thos parts on my bike, therefore I know.

Made 2 family rides on Saturday and Sunday, each ~16km/10m long. The combination of cycling, playground, icecream and nice weather makes the kids happy. And the parents are happy when the kids are happy.

This morning it was already 13C and the ride in was nice. Rode home with my co-worker again and we agreed to ride together tomorrow too. It is supposed to rain, so it is a good opportunity to see if he is the #9 type of rider

For whatever reason my rear brake did not work anymore since Saturday, so tonight I inspected it closer and it seems I contaminated them with oil. A few weeks ago I oiled the chain with a non-stick type of oil like for sewing machines etc. Apparently it now worked its way along the QR axle to the other side of the wheel where the brakerotor is. Everything there was full with oil and dirt so I cleaned everything and put in some used pads that were in the parts bin.

Note: It is always good to replace parts before they are worn and keep them for just in case. Ordering new pads would have taken a few more days and I prefer to have 2 working brakes.

And I met another co-worker today who is riding 38km/24m each way every day

Members who have read this thread: 195