How was your commute today? - Page 247- Mtbr.com
Page 247 of 247 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247
Results 24,601 to 24,628 of 24628
    NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    NDD is that such a special screw? Otherwise you may find a used/broken shifter that you can use to cannibilise the screw?
    Probably not but I don't know a ton of people rocking bar end shifters right now. I'll talk to my buddy who has a bike shop. I was just surprised it happened at all.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    A screw mysteriously popped out of my bar end shifter last night while riding the Trek around town... So it was a commute on the BStone. A lot slower, but it's a solid ride and the cro-mo frame is so forgiving on the road chatter. Now I'm hoping I can get a spare screw set for my shifter. It is a 2016 sram 500 something or another so I'm guessing they want me to just buy a new one.
    Like the flat head screw that holds it all together? I'd guess that the bike shop won't have it but you can probably (might be able to) get one a a hardware store or home improvement store. Take the one out of the other side and bring it with you.
    Certainly here if you knew the thread. https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-flat-head-screws (Navigate to: Metric 18-8 Stainless Steel Hex Drive Flat Head Screws )

I brought the bike to ride home today. It feels like forever since I was on a real bike. I'll have to shuttle the car back home tomorrow but I'm jonesin for a ride.

NDD
    mtbr member
    It's actually a 4mm hex head. But yes, the screw that holds it together.

dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just great, chilly 0C, but clear crisp and I got to see this lovely sight.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Just great, chilly 0C, but clear crisp and I got to see this lovely sight.

Awesome, Jeremy.

Went to the hardware store before work. Found a similar screw. Could you believe all the different classifications for screws? It's officialy an internal hex flat-head cap screw. Can't wait to get home.

dang

mtbr member
    Yes nice pic Jeremy!

Well done NDD! Good luck fixing your bike.

My cold is getting better already, took the bus nevertheless today. And I came home 30 min later because of traffic jam => Cycling is better.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    It's officialy an internal hex flat-head cap screw.
    ... M6, 22mm, 18-8 stainless... Hopefully you found it in stainless.

I had a good ride in but am in disbelief at how bad the road I use is. It's the worst I have ever seen it with potholes through, I don't know, 8 layers of pavement. The shoulders are impassable but once they get cleared they should be better than the road.

Another good picture jeremy! About 0C here too but I think that may be the last of it. The next 10 days don't have any freezing temps and then we are solidly into spring. By the looks of that picture you are much further along to spring than we are. Green grass!? We haven't even seen ground yet. And the trees haven't though of budding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

How was your commute today?

I found 6 new kilometers of gravel to replace tarmac on my usual route and believe it or not I was a little faster that way. It did require me to climb a nasty steep hill but for 6 more km of gravel Iíll take it.

Last edited by jeremy_burke; 1 Week Ago at 08:45 AM. Reason: Forgot picture.

mtbr member
    Commuted on my new Chromag Wideangle with slicks... damn this thing is heavy.

Moderator Moderator
    My bike was hospitalized Saturday after Firday's commute. It felt like the freehub was slipping, kind of a klunk under load, but not changing gears ot anything. On the plus side, my Litespeed MTB commuter was ready to pick up, it has brandy new chainrings from Blackspire, the original XTRs compatible with that 20 year old crank could not be found anywhere anymore, but for some reason Blackspire
    started making compatible rings. Awesome as the alternative was a whole new drivetrain! It looks nifty, but haven't ridden it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Winter is trying not to go quietly. Yesterday it snowed hard but didnít stick and this morning it was -3C when I left home. But I made it in and canít wait to wife home in the 17c it is predicted to be.

CB of the East
    Wow jeremy, you have some nice looking spots on your commute.

MTXB, I wish your bike a speedy recovery! I bought a whole new drivetrain for my cross bike last season but still haven't put it on since everything is working fine.

Here are some pictures from my hiking and biking in Punta Cana. Not a lot, but more than we got out of MTXB's Puerto Rico trip. (or maybe I missed that post)
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...K_vxX4IZIi1Yr8

This morning was a cold spring rain. Not my fave.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Official Xtreme Spring commute. Just over right about 32 F (0 C) when I left, probably warmed up to 38 F (3 C) in 50 min. When I leave work it'll be 67 F (20 C). It's good to have layers.

dang

CB of the East
    ^^Yeah, I'm thinking I'll have to slip the rain pants into a pocket for the ride home or it will be a sauna. I was pretty steamy in the 30s with tights underneath. It's supposed to hit 60 this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had a great return ride today. I packed shorts in the bag for the return trip and Iím glad I did. It was gorgeous and with the warmer temps I felt fresh, I made the return trip only 0:01:20sec slower than going in. Which is pretty good when you factored in going in is mostly down hill and return trip has 400m of elevation gain in the 34km. No pretty pictures as I was hustling but still two good rides today.

Moderator Moderator
    Cold rain here too. One pic from the way in, a little stream by a car dealership was ripping. Flooding in the area today, but it doesn't look like my ride home is affected. https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Ve...508582851.html

The other pix are older, do you like my new yellow bottle cages? I had white with black, which looked good with the white lettering, but I think I will keep these. The shot from the car is going down Hill St. from my house, it is easier than taking a pic while riding down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p4150068.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4040059.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4040057.jpg  

CB of the East
    The ride home was pretty warm! I left the rain pants at work and put the gloves in my pockets 1/3 into the ride. Still fleece tights and a rain coat over a long sleeved base was STEAMY.

So, today I went with shorts! It was only 38F but free legs feel good! I also rode in a little early so I could ride with my wife. It is supposed to be windy this afternoon!

mtbr member
    Rode my cx bike to work today and decided I dont like the seatpost rack with the trunkbag. Didnt fit everything so had to carry a backpack nevertheless. Wasnt much faster either, but I guess the difference with the touring bike will be bigger once climbing needs to be done. Well for the rest it was a great day. Sunny and 2C cold this morning, sunny windy and 16C on the way home. Didnt go for shorts yet but I had the thinnest windjacket on.

And suddenly NBD today. Found a nice and cheap dahon cadenza folder in toen, went to pick it up immediately. It will need some work and probably new cables but frame and wheels are in good condition. That will be a new summerproject later.

Bedwards, nice trip report. Looks like lots of fun and sun for you and RR!

Jeremy, this is typical spring weather in germany. Winter in the morning, summer in the afternoon. The alternative would be 12C, windy and rainy all day. What is your preference ?

Mtbx tos botzleholders are a nice touch and match well with the yellow accents on the front fork! Keep it!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Great commute yesterday. Had to meet at my bosses house to go do field work, so had a 7.5 mile ride each way. Got to see some new side streets and hills to climb. All in all, a pretty good ride. Although after having hiked and installed t-posts all day, I was feeling it in the way back. Having a predominantly office job has not been good to me.

dang

mtbr member
    I've been enjoying some nice weather here. I had to slam on the brakes again today for an SUV that was looking to pull out from a parking lot on me. Nothing like starting the day with a shot of adrenaline. Fortunately, the guy did stop. I was cruising downhill and had quite a bit of speed. The guy stopped at the end of the parking lot, but then started pulling out just as I was approaching him. He looked kind of distracted.

mtbr member
    Ditched the seatpost rack and trunkbag today and stuffed everything in my backpack. I found it much better although I actually dont really like backpacks, but I can live with it. Again sunny but with the wind it remains cold. Even 17C on the way home did not really feel like summer yet and I kept the windjacket on.

Public bank holiday season is here now - starting with Friday and Monday off for Eastern. Packing now, driving to the Netherlands tomorrow evening to visit relatives. We are taking the bikes and hoping to make some nice rides there.

Jeremy, I guess you will have a long weekend too?

Where is Woodway?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    ... actually dont really like backpacks,...

Jeremy, I guess you will have a long weekend too?
    I didnít get to ride today but tomorrow I will. I totally agree about backpacks. I love them for life and hikes but I donít like riding in one. Tomorrow I get to try out my new Revelate Salty Roll on the ride. And yes my weekend starts tomorrow evening and stretches over a week. My parents are in town for a few and we are all headed to Ireland for the week.

CB of the East
    Where is Woodway?
    Good question.

I guess it's about to get quiet around here. No holidays for me. I'm not s huge fan of riding with anything.
    - Since it is so infrequent I use a backpack when I need to haul stuff.
    - For daily use I use a fanny pack both for function and so people can make fun of me. Wallet, keys bike tools, pump, patch, phone etc.
    - Each bike gets the smallest seat bag required to carry a bike specific tube because there is no way I am responsible enough to remember to put the right tube in my pack.

Rides have been good. Super windy last night. Near 0F this morning. This afternoon looks to be very nice. I may throw in some extra miles.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Where is Woodway?
    Hey All - still alive. Crazy busy at work - my company makes computer vision software and we are testing it in conjunction with a US airline...so last week I was at the airport into the wee hours of the morning installing equipment. Slowly getting back onto a routine schedule!

Read your ride report bedwards, thanks for posting. Even if things were a bit run down, as you say it's still better to get out there and be active as opposed to sitting on a tour bus...

Dutchman, a folder! Cool. I would love to have a folder, just cannot justify it.

The yellow bottle cages match the yellow on the tips of the fork, MTBX. Always important to be color coordinated. It makes the bike go faster.

Great ride home for me last night. Light rain this morning. Weathermen says it's going to be a super juicy ride home tonight...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had some great rides today. It is definitely spring everything is really turning green. I am not sure if this makes me a horrible person but since this is my first spring in Germany all I can think as I hear the birds chirping is the lyrics to Mel Brooks ďSpring time for GermanyĒ from ďthe ProducersĒ musical and movie. Iím not sure my host country would find it funny but in my head it sure is.

mtbr member
    ^^ Just finished "Schindler's List". The musical "Sping Time for Germany" within the musical "The Producers" is a celebration of survivors of the holocaust. Even a beautiful country can be lead astray. What the Allies were forced to do to Germany to put a stop to the war, was another tragedy. So celebrating spring in Germany has a cathartic aspect. I think Mel would be happy.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    After 50K+ miles of reliable service I retired my old wheels for a new set of DT Swiss ER1600 Spline wheels. I've got a few rides on them now, and they feel really good. It makes me realize just how wobbly my old wheels had become. Here is my commuter with the new wheels installed:

How was your commute today?-img_0521.jpg

I went with the 32mm deep rims for some extra beef. If these last me another 50K miles, I'll be happy.

55F/13C and light rain this morning on an uneventful ride.

CB of the East
    50K is just amazing on the wheels, the bike and the person! Nice looking bike, BTW. Mine has about 250 on it now.

I was just looking at my totals and I've clocked in about 50,000 miles since I got back into biking in 2009. 20K miles before Strava and then 30K logged there. But those miles are spread across about 18 bikes.

This afternoon is supposed to be pretty warm compared to what we have been getting. Oh, and I have to run a 5K tomorrow. So far I have run a total of 5K since last October.

Members who have read this thread: 186