How was your commute today? - Page 245- Mtbr.com
Page 245 of 246 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246 LastLast
Results 24,401 to 24,500 of 24512
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Wow Dutchman thanks for all the advice. Yes the Rohloff would be more about reducing maintenance than speed. I am also strongly considering a gates belt for the same reason. Iíll pm you for more details at a later date.

My commute got cancelled this week. Nasty stomach virus at our house. I think we are through the worst of it.

Here is a picture from the weekend fun ride.

Moderator Moderator
    51 mph gust and blowing snow at the closest weather station yesterday A tad too windy for me to ride. 3F this morning, and 20-30mph wind with higher gusts, so gonna drive again. Nice fatbike bikejor Sunday a.m. with a couple inches of new snow over the hardpack, making it fun in the corners and steeper downhills. I felt a little bad when I had to brake going uphill because my "sled dog" was catching up with other riders.

mtbr member
    Hard grey ice on most of the paths, since the windstorm blew away all the loose snow. Meaning the fastest rail-trail split in a month, despite being about -12C this morning.

Calling for 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow, so that may slow me down more than a little.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Sounds like winter is still going strong for most of you!

Cold (relatively) here this morning at 28F/-2C. The roads were dry - even though the city treated them for ice there was none to be found. Looks like we might be headed for the coldest February on record...

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^ Dutchman, that first picture is bedwards-esque! Nicely done.
    I don't usually get the full silhouette. Very nice dutchman. Of course I like the look of the gravel forest that Jeremy posted too.

Yes, yesterday's wind was fierce! The top of Washington had sustained 100MPH wind ALL DAY. with the highest gust at 171. Around here riding through the open areas like the corn field and the lake was enough for me.

Winter is still in full swing. Temps between 0F and 32F are forecast for the next few weeks. That's OK though because the trails are in great shape and should stay that way.

The wind was actually pretty calm this morning. Maybe it was just relatively calm but I liked it.

mtbr member
    Wow you guys really have a tough time with such temps and winds...

MTBX when do we see some pics of your PR trip? Or did I miss something?

Jeremy nice pic there too! Looks like a typical German forest road that we have here in Hamburg too.
    Concerning Rohloff, just send me a PM if you wish to know more. If you have time to read about the Rohloff pros and cons, you find it here
    https://www.cyclingabout.com/?s=rohloff
    and in the internal gear hub forum.

Bedwards, to get the full silhouette I had to lie down onto the ground....the other people were like

-2C this morning and 14C on the way home. Incredible difference in temp for the bike. I averaged 18.5kph this morning with a tailwind, 23kph on the way home despite a light headwind and baggy clothing.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Bedwards, to get the full silhouette I had to lie down onto the ground....the other people were like
    Weirdo! That reminds me, I wonder what ever happened to rodar y rodar. It has been too cold to take pictures.

Not much to report except it has been cold, cold and cold. Last night was the worst. Even thought the temp was around 12F the windchill was like minus a hundred. This morning was around 0F with no wind and it felt pretty good. The trails sure are nice an firm.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I exchanged emails with rodar a year or so ago (maybe longer). He was no longer commuting to work and drifted away from the forum. At the time he said he lurked now and then. Maybe he will see this and post up a hello...

Way to go the extra mile for the photo Dutchman.

Cold here today too, but it's all relative...cold to me is when the temps get into the low 30's. Not even in the same league as what you are dealing with bedwards - and from the articles I read it looks like you'll be dealing with it for a while longer.

I'm off tomorrow for a few days of ski/snowshoe down in Central Oregon. They just got a big snow dump so conditions should be good!

mtbr member
    Jeremy, thanks for your PM, I just replied.

I wonder what happened to a lot of people that used to be here regularly like CB, Jeffscott, Blockphi, Rodar, Newf, ....

refreshing here in the morning too...-2C and real 17C on the way home, makes a 19C temp difference! I made a detour on the way home, needless to say...but it will be the last day of spring. From tomorrow on, max temp will be 8C, windy, cloudy etc...

NDD
    mtbr member
    Well I've been back at commuting. I've finally got a knack for which roads are safe to bike on. Fortunately my neighborhood seems pretty safe and is full of hills to climb. Rode about 11.5 miles into work (would be 1.5 if I went straight to it) and did about 900 ft of climbing, mostly going up and down the same hills using valley roads as a spline to access different side streets that lead upwards.

I hope y'all have been well and it feels good to be back in the bike more than once or twice a month.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Hi NDD, nice to hear from you again.

Summer weather ended here today. 6C and windy.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Hi NDD, nice to hear from you again.

Summer weather ended here today. 6C and windy.
    Yep, I'm glad to be back at it. And 6 C seems pretty nice compared to here, today so I'd be happy with that. It was about 0 C with freezing rain today. I walked.

dang

Moderator Moderator
    Hi NDD, glad you found some better routes, good to hear from you. That's a lot of climbing!

0F yesterday morning, but the goggles worked perfectly. I realy dislike wearing them but I have to admit they can work really well. I got a Giro Timberwolf winter bike helmet a while back and it works reall well with goggles. It has vents you can close with a slide switch, which is nice for big downhills/uphills or other changes in your temp. Since it has a liner and earflaps you don't need much of a hat (if any). It was sunny and at least 20F by lunch, which was a little tough to look at from work, having ridden at 0F.

mtbr member
    I've had some stellar commutes this week. Rides in have been in the upper 20s/low 30s (F) and rides home have ranged from 40s to 60s. I questioned my decision to drive in yesterday when it was dry in the morning, but the forecast held true and we 30s and rain most of the day. Back on track again today.

Moderator Moderator
    Friday morning was single digits again, but by the last uphill mile I was able to remove the goggles and balaclava. Found a shovel at lunchtime to shovel out the bikeparking. Pretty nuts how our landlord will plow acres or parking but refuses to shove out a couple of bike spots. I had stopped using them because you risked getting snow in your shoes just before a ride. Instead I was just putting it in a snowbank adjacent to the cleared walkway. I thought this random bike parking, which also interfered with a handrail might encourage them to shovel, but no. I also thought seeing a tenant shoveling might shame them into it, but that seems doubtful - they just say, there's that crazy biker.

Stopped at the LBS and they had these awesome fenders in radioactive yellow. Only in 700's though, and not sure I can put that color on my red and blue bike.
    Bontrager Fender Mudguard Set 700c NCS Yellow

CB of the East
    Yup, single digits, like "1" of them. I'm pretty used to it by now.

In other news I sold my Surly Cross Check. I know you guys think I only buy bikes but I actually sold one.

The trails were great again. We're supposed to get some snow over the weekend but I think it will be good once it gets packed again. I'm planning on leading a group ride Sunday morning.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Dang I'm jealous of your guys' low temps. We got two or three inches of powdery snow today and pretty much as it stopped snowing I went riding. Did about 7 miles through the neighborhood, but it was so slushy already that I made my way back. Looked at my bike when I got home and everything was coated in brown slush and ice. But that's what happens when you've got a good heat island effect and it's right around 30 F (-1 C) for the air temp.

dang

CB of the East
    NDD, we're hanging on to our low temps for another week but spring is coming.

We're mid storm so I have no commute to report on. But the group ride this weekend was really fun. There were only 4 of us but the conditions were perfect. The trails were hard packed with an inch of powder on top. We were making fresh prints for half the ride and the temperature was just above freezing. Perfect day.

mtbr member
    Hey Bedwards that sounds really good

I am off this week and starting a new job within the company next week. I will start with a 3day training so no riding this week and those 3 days next week :-/ For that I am rearranging the garden which involves downing 2 trees and digging out the roots. Just finished one and can hardly walk - riding to work is easier

I did take the opportunity to stitch a lot of short movies together which show my commute to work. It didnt work out as nice as I hoped but apparently MovieMaker and me are no perfect match. I made about 20 vids last August and made na 8 minute vid out of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQufT-eQ8Q

I will read here once and a while this week - keep riding and stay safe

NDD
    mtbr member
    Bedwards it wouldn't feel so bad if it stayed as powdery as when it fell. But we never get a really nice textured snow here. It's always slop. As predicted most side streets I take in half melted and froze again overnight as it dropped to 7 F. The walk in was slippery!

Dutchman, it looks like you have a very relaxing commute. Admittedly I'm jealous of the infrastructure you guys have. I live right next to a busy road with a bike lane. I minimize use of said road because people drive in the bike lane all the time. This stems from a hatred of how the city made a relatively busy four lane road (two lanes each direction) into a now congested two lane road with a turn lane and a bike lane. Most drivers take that out on the people who use it. I think it would be better as a four lane road with the right lane in each direction designated as a shared bike lane.

dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Back from my snow vacation in Oregon. Got to downhill ski, snowshoe and XC ski. Here are a couple of photos I took of a friend on the XC ski day - it was a nice day!

How was your commute today?-img_0369.jpgHow was your commute today?-img_0365.jpg

Dutchman - that looks like a great commute (although I think I got a little seasick from the camera motion ).

Cold but dry here today. Maybe getting a little more snow this week, but nothing like the snowmagedden we had in February.

CB of the East
    ^^That day looks okay.

I took yesterday off because of snow. Today the trails were soft and slow but 99% ride-able. They should get better with age. Not much more to report.

mtbr member
    Low teens this morning. High in the upper 20s. It's hard to go back to winter weather when Spring has been feeling right around the corner. Daffodils are blooming. Some plants are starting to grow leaves. It's kind of early for all that, but I can't blame the plants. I'm ready for winter to be over too.

mtbr member
    Hi woodway, yes I thought the same thing when I watched the movie. Even thought of not posting the link...I recorded everything with a compact camera held in 1 hand. Most smartphones have better stabilising programs nowadays...or maybe I should really get a gopro or something.
    Nice pics from you there! And I didnt get seasick watching them

Sockeyeus yes spring is starting here too. I dont complain but I do hope that this summer will not be such a drought as last year (never thought I would ever say that).
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Sockeyeus yes spring is starting here too. I dont complain but I do hope that this summer will not be such a drought as last year (never thought I would ever say that).
    Last year was the wettest year on record for us, and this year seems to be heading that way. A little drought almost sounds good to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Last year was the wettest year on record for us, and this year seems to be heading that way. A little drought almost sounds good to me.
    Apparently it was very unevenly distributed last year...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Hi woodway, yes I thought the same thing when I watched the movie. Even thought of not posting the link...I recorded everything with a compact camera held in 1 hand. Most smartphones have better stabilising programs nowadays...or maybe I should really get a gopro or something.
    Nice pics from you there! And I didnt get seasick watching them
    I could see in one of the shadows that you were holding the camera in one hand while you rode. Thanks for the effort, it looks like you have a great commute!

My commute this morning was a struggle: to get out of bed, to get out the door and then to get my legs moving. I just felt like a slug today. The morning itself was fine: dry with temps just above freezing. Hopefully I'll have more energy this afternoon for the ride home.

mtbr member
    Man, I hit some cold wind on the way home. I felt like I was climbing a one-mile stretch of gradual downhill that had me riding directly into the wind.

I keep encountering nervous drivers who don't appear to feel comfortable making a right turn and not crossing over into the wrong lane. I have a particular corner this happens on where I'm often standing in the center of my own lane at a stop sign and these people act all awkward as they navigate the intersection. Either that, or I have to brake to avoid a car swerving into my lane as I approach. I don't get it. There's 6ft in between me and the center line. If you can't execute a turn into the proper lane, plus a 6 ft. buffer, maybe you should take a driving class.

P.S. Use a turn signal.

CB of the East
    You're asking a lot s0ck.

dutchman, nice little tuft of hair coming out of your helmet or is that a feather.

The trails are very passable and very slow. I'm trading with my wife for the bike commute home. The deer really seem to like them though. There must have been 100 of them in one section I went through last night.
    How was your commute today?-deer.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice picture bedwards! And very well spotted in that movie both of you I call it the "just took off my helmet look" when I have two horns on my head that make me look develish

There are two other things you could spot in the movie. Go find the mistakes

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Rode home last night and it was snowing. Rode to work this morning and it was snowing. Welcome to Marchuary. If it was actually January the snow would have been sticking.

mtbr member

.....they say that like it's a bad thing.

Big melt expected to start on the weekend after weeks of steady -10C rides. Not a fan of liquid water, so I've been really savouring the last few days of winter.

Last Week:

Week Before:

Been riding all snow for months. So... dirt?.. springtime?... meh.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Moderator Moderator
    Nice views of your route, ghettocruiser, it looks interesting! Nice deer pic bedwards, 100 is a lot of deer! Still cold here, -3F this morning, but teens for the way home, so I am ditching the goggles, facemask, and a layer. The roads are still messy too, so still riding the studded MTB - slow going, especially on the cold days.

CB of the East
    I hear you ghettocruiser. I always like to hang onto these last few days of winter. But damn, it was -6F again this morning. Like MTBX said, that is slow!

The deer were there this morning again. I'm sticking with the 100 number. I stopped to take a picture of one that was standing much closer than last time but neither camera would focus in the cold.

There is another big group fatbike ride this weekend I think I'll jump into.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice pics ghettocruiser!

Here I am complaining about riding in temps around freezing. -3F and -6F, now that's just crazy.

Dry and 30F for me this morning.

The front pocket on my Showers Pass jacket gave out yesterday morning. I love that jacket, have worn it daily (except in summer) in all manner of weather for five years - well over 1000 hours (edit: did some lookup of my actual hours). I took some snaps of the pocket and the general jacket condition, contacted Showers Pass to see if it could be repaired. They called me back and said my jacket was telling me that it's at the end of it's life and maybe I should consider a new one. They offered a nice discount towards a new jacket, which is on it's way. Great company and I love their products.

mtbr member

Memes like this have no place on the mtbr forums

Music & Bikes
    Brutal ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_2733.jpg  

"There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Back to the dark ages! I had gotten used to riding in daylight.

CB of the East
    I'm kinda looking forward to the pre-dawn commutes again. I like them on the trails in the morning. I skipped today due to storm cleanup. i didn't want a "brutal" commute. Mostly I didn't want to walk across the lake in the snow.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm kinda looking forward to the pre-dawn commutes again. I like them on the trails in the morning. I skipped today due to storm cleanup. i didn't want a "brutal" commute. Mostly I didn't want to walk across the lake in the snow.
    Whatever works for you. The pre dawn commute for me means just as many people are on the road paying just as little attention, but it's also dark.

Also why I tend to cop out often by walking. Still beats driving.

dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    The pre dawn commute for me means just as many people are on the road paying just as little attention, but it's also dark.
    Yeah, pre-dawn means a little more on edge. It'd be great if I didn't have to deal with drivers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Last week was warm, wet and windy. Today was sunny and calm. Feels like spring!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Yeah, pre-dawn means a little more on edge. It'd be great if I didn't have to deal with drivers.
    Wouldn't be so bad if not in the city, but at least it's still pretty convenient. I almost exclusively take lesser traveled roads anyway.

dang

Moderator Moderator
    The dark mornings make it tough for me to get out the doot, because I like to wait until it's light to walk the dog off leash in the woods. Also, it got above freezing yesterday and I had cleaned my bikes over the weekend and wanted them to stay clean another day, , worst excuse ever.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    My morning rides are in the dark most of the year anyway, so I don't really notice any difference. I sure enjoy the extra light in the evening. The Washington State legislature just voted to make daylight savings time permanent year-round (still needs approval by the feds). Apparently California and Oregon are working on similar measures. I'm all for it...this moving the clocks back and forth stuff is stupid.

We are finally seeing some warm up here...temps are only running 3-5 degrees below normal now, rather than 10-15. Rode home in low 50's temps and sunshine last night! Rode to work in a 40 degree soaking rain this morning.

I did get to test my new Showers Pass jacket in the rain today, and it's a keeper!

CB of the East
    I stayed in bed a little late this morning and left at 6:30. It was still pretty light for most of my commute. Clock change? What clock change?

Winter is slamming shut as usual. We're got 20s in the mornings and 30s, 40s or 50s in the afternoons for the next 10 days. Good trails in the morning and too soft to ride in the afternoons.

The commute closer to sunrise was good for deer sighting. There must have been over 100 of them around today again.

CB of the East
    OK, I hauled my arse out of bed on time this morning to catch the sunrise and the deer herd.

Pics...
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...spiration.html

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice pics (as usual) bedwards!

I also hauled my ass out of bed and rode to work. Did not see the sunrise or any deer (saw a coyote though). 37F, wet pavement but no moisture coming from the sky. Weather people say gradual warming over the next week and are promising my some mid-60 degree commutes next week. Yay!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Nice, I like the silhouette shot!

mtbr member
    Pretty much perfect weather today, minus the clouds. 46F on the way in, climbing into the 70s for the ride home. I'm hoping to hit the trails tonight before rain returns.

I "had to" shout at a driver this morning. The turkey pulled out in front of me while poorly executing a left turn from a stop sign. I hit the brakes and yelled something friendly as the driver-side window passed about 5 feet in front of me. The person was so antsy to pull out before the car coming up behind me that he apparently didn't see me in the turning lane...or he just didn't care.

Moderator Moderator
    Great photos bedwards.

15F this morning. Road find I dug out of the snowbank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^^
    So you broke a buck at a snow bank?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Hahah, yes. The first half came out pretty easy, a few kicks with my 5.10's. I debated whether to pedal on or get a screwdriver out of my pack... Since I wasn't raised to leave a dollar behind, and since I told myself there could be more than 1 bill in there, i chiselled it out with the scewdriver. Just the one though.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Might be hard to convince anyone to take that dollar. I guess it's a souvenir now!

dang

since 4/10/2009
    Might be hard to convince anyone to take that dollar. I guess it's a souvenir now!

You might be surprised. I hit a $20 bill with my lawnmower awhile back, and found enough pieces to tape it together and trade it for a fresh one at a bank.

Pretty sure that one is complete enough.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I was thinking I would try just that.

CB of the East
    ^^Just use it in a vending machine. They accept most bills.

We had some light snow last night and the temp was just below freezing. It made for a really nice trail ride.
    How was your commute today?-trax.jpg

How was your commute today?-fresh.jpg

I actually threw my new commuter bike in the car to swap out for the ride home. It will be the second ride on it.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    You might be surprised. I hit a $20 bill with my lawnmower awhile back, and found enough pieces to tape it together and trade it for a fresh one at a bank.

Pretty sure that one is complete enough.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Thought there had to be a complete serial number. Good luck mtbx!

dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    The US Treasury will accept any bill with more than 50% if the note identifiable without question. If less than 50% it requires special examination:

https://www.frbservices.org/resource...ency-coin.html

Of course for a dollar bill, you have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort

Easy ride this morning, dry, 37F. Supposed to be getting up into the low 70's next week. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ..... Of course for a dollar bill, you have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort .....
    My grandma used to say "if you dont honour something small you are not worth anything big"

Nice pics bedwards! I know the issue of pics not expressing the truth - usually a matter of not showing the intensity of the colors...

Fokof, that kind of conditions are the one why you invest in a Rohloff. Why do you not install a chaincase of some sort? It keeps everything much cleaner and it will last even longer.

First ride in almost 2 weeks. It rained both ways and I enjoyed it anyway. I just should have worn the rainpants since the windstopper pants leaked a bit in the end. Another wet day tomorrow, next week temps are expected to rise to be more spring-like. Yay!
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Week Ago at 01:48 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    A warm day yesterday, about 35F when I rode in. Grabbed the gravel bike and it did fine as long as I steered clear of the snowbanks. A couple non-driving dopes buzzed me in the approach to the last light where it goes from 1 lane to 3. I'd had enough after the second one and took the lane, which resulted in some pissy people and poor passes considering the oncoming traffic so that they could race up to the light. Oh well.

That snowy trail looks great bedwards!

CB of the East
    Dutchman! Where have you been. It's not like you not to post for so long. I was worried. Grandma was right. There's also that penny wise and pound foolish saying that might come into play here.

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was fresh snow and a trail ride. Today is pouring rain and the trails are impassibly soft. Sooooo

I rode the new bike home last night. I'd been avoiding putting the fenders on because I wanted to try it "naked". It felt great but, the roads are really disgusting and always wet this time of year with melting snow and sand and salt and all. So I got up early to put the fenders on. I knew it was a 10 minute job that would take just about 1 and a half hours. I was pretty much right on. I'll spare you the details. 15 minutes late to work but much cleaner.
    How was your commute today?-bike.jpg
    It looks like a bike.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ I looks like a pretty sweet bike bedwards!

I was wondering about you as well Dutchman. Good to see you back.

Good move MTBX. Sometimes you just need to claim your space.

I had a little cat6 fun going home last night. I got passed on a long straight section of road with a few good hills. Younger kid who pulled away but could not sustain the passing pace, especially up the hills (always the teller of truths). He was REALLY working hard to stay in front of me and he kept looking back to see where I was. Rather than pass him, I stayed behind him and just pushed him along, helping him to be the best he could be. It was childish fun, but broke up the monotony of another commute.

Speaking of another commute - warmer this morning in the low 40's and dry. Weatherman is still predicting temps to touch 70 next week! I'm going to break out my shorts and blind the drivers with my legs...

mtbr member
    I was running late this morning and had to drive. I drove yesterday too, due to severe weather rolling through. The ride home would have been alright, despite the wind. The airport measured a 67mph gust.

mtbr member
    Hey guys thanks for the nice words I think I mentioned that I was off last week and started my new job with a 3day training in another town, so no riding for that long period. At least last week I did a lot of "exercise" in the garden. Today it was dry on both rides, but there was a steady 25kt wind from the west with gusts upto 45kts. My new office is on the groundfloor facing east, so I didnt really notice until I rode towards the corner of the building and could hear the wind howl around the corner. So at least I was prepared. It worked out fine except for one stretch where I was really leaning into the wind and slowed down to 12kmh/7mph.....

Bedwards that bike looks -really- good, even with the fenders on. They look quite sleek and I didnt notice them on first glance. Bad weather riders are recognised by the long front fenders ;o)) and nice pictures too....

In general I have had a really bad start of the year. By the distance I have ridden so far, I must have ridden only half of my working days somehow. Doesnt really fit, even when I count in the days off/sick.

At least I finished the full-frame bag for my CX bike. When I strap another drybag onto the seatpost rack it should be good to go for my first bikepacking experience. Cant wait for better weather...it is supposed to be here end of next week, but in March, seeing is believing.

Have a nice weekend you all!

CB of the East
    ^^Oh yeah, I remember about you saying something about a few weeks off but not in your most recent posts. Can't remember everything. Heck, I can't even remember much.

It's about 60F here which is probably the warmest it has been in 3-4 months. I do believe I will go for a ride...

CB of the East
    Back to 15F here this morning, which I am fine with. I'm happy to squeeze the last few days of fatbiking out of the season. The snow was solid enough to go free range this morning. I tried to get a video to do it justice but I had to hold the camera and ride with one hand so it just looked lame.

For those of you who haven't seen my bike and a sunrise enough. Here ya go: https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...ration_18.html

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice pics bedwards.

42F and dry this morning. I broke out shorts for this first time this year because the weatherman says 70F+ for the ride home tonight. And tomorrow. And the day after that. I'm going to take full advantage.

CB of the East
    My weatherman said it is going to be 12F tomorrow morning. I'm going to hold off on the shorts for at least 1 more day.

mtbr member
    Killer weather here. Low 30s in the morning. 50s on the way home. It's supposed to be like this all week. The sunrise and my morning commute are just about aligned now, which I always enjoy.

mtbr member
    Hey bedwards you finally got a pic with the whole silhouette of your bike! Is the lake still frozen?

Woodway that sounds like summer instead of early spring....I hope to get around 15C end of the week but that is already the most optimistic forecast..

I am already riding in daylight both rides but the time shift in 2 weeks will probably bring me close to sunrise again.

Windy again today on the way home, gusts upto 30 kts but during the ride apparently the wind calmed down a bit so no worries about that today. Still a steady strong headwind which made feel 9C pretty cold :-/

CB of the East
    Hey bedwards you finally got a pic with the whole silhouette of your bike! Is the lake still frozen?
    You must have missed this one. The lake hasn't even considered melting. I'm guessing there is still close to a meter of ice on it.

mtbr member
    The icepack coverage on the rail trail has now dropped below 20%, but it's going to take at least another week to melt out completely, so it starts me on this internal cost-benefit analysis about when to switch from studded to regular tires.

i.e. how many extra kph is worth a crash.

The answer isn't straightforward.

CB of the East
    ^^That melt/thaw ice can be the sneakiest. Runs across the path at a slight angle during the day and freezes nice and black (and sneaky) at night.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Saw a lot of that kind of ice today on the gravel bike, but I think all of the dirt (winter sand/salt/mud) in the air from traffic on rtes 302/2 helps by coating those ice patches little bit.I worked late which resulted in more obnoxious cars today rather than less; gunning engine, honking horn, yelling unintelligible stuff. The worst was actually this morning - a dump truck with a raised wing plow that "had to pass" on a narrow street with oncoming traffic - probably wasn't that close, but it felt like it just about took my head off.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    55F/13C coming to work this morning! Supposed to be 75F/24C on the way home tonight. Shirtsleeves and shorts and I am enjoying every minute of it!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Saw a lot of that kind of ice today on the gravel bike, but I think all of the dirt (winter sand/salt/mud) in the air from traffic on rtes 302/2 helps by coating those ice patches little bit.
    Pro tip: if you have to ride across ice like that, try to ride through a patch of sand first to coat your tire.

Nice Woodway. It was 12F here but that was great because the snow is so firm I can ride free range. For half my ride I just abandon the trails and rode through the woods. There is a video and my little blurb about it here. It also made for some spectacular sunrise pictures. You know when the picture never looks as good as the real sky. I got these pictures to look like the real sky.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...ration_19.html

And if that weren't enough excitement for a days worth of commuting. I fell through some ice yesterday on the way home. Not the lake just a silly little marshy area that was getting runoff from the field. I was riding across the ice and saw it darken out because water was running under it. I hit the breaks and slid right onto the weak spot and crashed through. I almost aborted the ride but dammit the trails were riding good and a wet foot fatbiking is better than a crappy day at work, which I was leaving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Chilly this morning at -1C but still a good ride. It was gorgeous on the way home. But with the knobbies on and the many many missed days this winter Iím slower than I would like. But it still better than any other mode of commuting.

mtbr member
    Wow Woodway I hope that that is not going to be your summer with autumn lasting 6+ months after that....13C is what I am hoping for on the way home.

Bedwards wow those are nice pics. But that rope in the vid at 1:58 who thinks of that?? And really a pro tip with that sand coating on the tire. Now that I think of it, that might be the reason why I can ride the unpaved section below freezing temps. I get a sand coating on my tire and therefore can ride over the frozen puddles without too much risk. Never thought of that....
    And I do know that one pic, just did not count it as "full silhouette since it ends basically just below the axles

Jeremy, what is that iron wingding in the background?

MTBX sounds like that was too close for comfort indeed...did you yell at him?

3C on the way in this morning, 9C on the way home. It was sunny too but the 15kt wind made it still feel quite cold, although after the last days that almost felt like no wind at all. Headwind makes good training

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Jeremy, what is that iron wingding in the background?

That is an steel statue of a dragon fly. Most of my trip to and from work follows the Museum Radweg in Baden-WŁrtemberg to the south of Stuttgart. This follows the Aich river and later the Neckar. Marking the trail along the way are several pieces of art in various forms. This piece is just on the eastern edge of my little town of Holzgerlingen. Some of the pieces are pretty cool some are just weird but they are there marking the trail the whole way. Here is a link to a map of the trail. I wish more of it were gravel but it is still nice to have a mostly protected path to and from work.

http://www.fahrrad-tour.de/Museumsra...eumsradweg.htm

Here is a mobile made of bikes also along the trail. This one is in the gravel section.

mtbr member
    Just a bit of ice remaining, which has been eaten enough by the sun that it's crunchy, not slippery.

No studded tires for the first time in 2019 = I forgot how quiet my bike is.

A pleasant surprise, given the lack of maintenance.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, bedwards - what was up with the rope that you ducked under?

jeremy_burke that bike mobile picture threw me for a loop until I read your description that it was there on purpose. Looks like a cool commute.

55F/13C for the ride in again this morning. Shorts and just a light jersey! Feels like summer! Supposed to be 75F/24C again for the ride home tonight. But rain and normal March weather return tomorrow.

Riding home last night it hit me how e-bikes have become mainstream when I stopped at a traffic light behind a millennial-something couple and realized that they were riding an e-tandem...

CB of the East
    The rope was no big deal. It just blocks off the new septic system for our building campus so nobody drives over it.

Happy first day of spring! It sounds like a lot of you are starting to get some spring weather. We're not quite on board with that yet. This morning was about 12F. But that made for another fantastic day of free range riding. I posted 2 videos here. I tried not to make them too long. It's really hard to capture how much fun riding over rolling lumps and bumps is. This is probably the last day of it this year.
    I threw the road bike in the car to swap out for the trip home since it is supposed to get up to 45F. It is spring after all.

mtbr member
    Thanx jeremy I see it now.

Bedwards nice movies again. Who was with you?

Woodway you are right with the ebikes. I also notice it more and more. And I see them in all sorts: eMTBs, e-citybikes, e-road bikes, e-fatbikes, .....

Nice and sunny this morning, cloudy but noticeably warmer this afternoon. Temps are slowly rising now.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 4 Days Ago at 01:17 PM.

CB of the East
    I convinced a friend that just got a fatbike that it would be worth it to get up at 5:30 @ 12F in the dark and join me for a ride because free range conditions are so fleeting. She had a blast!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Nice free range riding bedwards. Looks like tons of fun. I've been considering getting a fatbike to keep at my place in Central Washington. Your videos are pushing me over the line.

Had one more shorts/shirtsleeves commute last night - 77F/25C. A bit windy but that's a small price to pay for a warm/sunny ride. Noticeably colder this morning and the rain is coming.

CB of the East
    ^^I'm glad to help. This might be a great time of year to look for one. I took one more video. I wasn't going to bother posting it since it is a little more of the same but if it helps to push you over the line...https://youtu.be/ZYEw9wJBKcY I caught a little bit of the sunrise in the beginning. The uphill parts are a little slow, sorry, tired. From 1:20 on is pretty fun. All the things I'm crossing that look like trails are animal paths.

77F!!! I was dreaming of that on my ride home yesterday. I traded to the road bike again but damn, it was 38F and windy and it didn't feel like spring.

mtbr member
    I found myself staring into a driver's window again today at the same intersection I mentioned last week. I could have reached out and tapped his vehicle, if I wanted to, as he awkwardly cut me off at slow speed. I turned my bar and shined my light directly into his face. I'm glad he didn't gun it and cut the turn (he went slow and swerved wide), but he could have waited 1 second and turned behind me no problem. No need to be a jerk.

Yesterday I was coming up on an intersection that has a long red light. The light turned green and there were only two cars in line, so I gunned it in hopes of making the light. The second car sat and sat and sat. I slowed a bit and came up near the back of the car and watched as the light turned yellow then red. Right at that point, the car finally decided to make the turn. I got skunked.

mtbr member
    Sockeyous you seem to have some bad luck with the drivers these days?

Bedwards you make me looking at fatbikes too. I would love to make a fatbike ride on the beaches in the netherlands when I visit my relatives there. Last time I tried 26x2" tires with low pressure and that didnt work at all :-/ But I just got a cx bike because you have one too. Just to make sure what I am doing: How many bikes do you own?

Today was nice. 11C, cloudy, dry and hardly any wind. I did take the unpaved section again against knowing better and again my rear wheel clogged up with mud. This is a picture from last year, but it looks exactly the same (the bike is upside down, looking back of the bottom bracket): https://photos.app.goo.gl/3PFQ43Y43wkenpfQ9

CB of the East
    But I just got a cx bike because you have one too. Just to make sure what I am doing: How many bikes do you own?
    I should know that without looking it up, right. I'm holding at 10. I just bought one and actually sold the one it replaced. I kind of abandon that last step when I replaced the 29er with the 27.5" Whoops.

I think the optimum number is 5:
    • Road - Light fast fun
    • Commuter - Fenders Rolohf utility
    • Gravel/Cross - Gravel, bad roads, (maybe superfluous)
    • MTB - FS, rough trails, exciting
    • Fat - Snow, sand, trails, smiles

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Here is a good opportunity for a poll - how many bikes do you own?

bedwards kicked it off, I'll add mine: I own four:

- My Titanium Habanero CX bike which is my daily commuter plus the closest thing I have to a road bike.
    - An old steel CX bike that I use for riding gravel.
    - My really nice 27.5" carbon FS mountain bike that I ride on the trails. ALso my back-up commuter for the rare times that it snows around here.
    - An old 26" FS mountain bike that I don't ride anymore because those small wheels feel unsafe now...

I'm thinking I'll get rid of the old 26"er and replace it with a fatbike...

CB of the East
    Well I didn't actually list my current bikes. I posted this in 2013. I should updated it for 2019 since I've replaced some of them. The Candid Cyclist: How Many Bikes Is Enough Bikes. But not now.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I only have one. A 2016 Trek 920. Drop bar mountain bike. Can do many things, but nothing spectacularly. Reminds me of me.

dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just have two

2015 salsa el mariachi SS I bought it used.

2018 Salsa Fargo That i plan to customize into the perfect adventure/gravel touring/ everything bike.

CB of the East
    I only have one. A 2016 Trek 920. Drop bar mountain bike. Can do many things, but nothing spectacularly. Reminds me of me.
    Ha Ha, me too. Jack of all trades master of none.

If I had to pick just one bike it would be a fat bike and a cross bike.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Ha Ha, me too. Jack of all trades master of none.

If I had to pick just one bike it would be a fat bike and a cross bike.
    You might be able to get away without cheating if you had a bike with clearance for chubby 3 ish inch tires, but got a second wheelset to throw on gravel tires. Anything less that 44 mm isn't worth it. Throw on one of those funky Jones bars where you can get all kinds of hand positions and I think you'd at least be comfortable on a wide array of terrain.

That said, I miss my single speed road bike conversion and regret selling it, but at the time I had no idea how long is have to travel from job to job every six months. Turned out to only be about a year. Kinda want a single speed mountain bike now...

dang

mtbr member
    Whoa I asked a question there....but good one bedwards. I have the commuter and gravelbike. Last one could do some roadstuff too with skinnier tires. And a krampug with two wheelsets could be the last 2 bikes I need. 1 extra bike might be possible. 7 extra and the missus is going to kill me.....and the kids would want 7 other bikes too ....

Moderator Moderator
    Decent commutes today on the Terra, it's nice to go a little faster with temps closer to freezing and non-studded tires. I like multiple bikes, not just for utility but to keep it interesting. Hence:
    1 Orbea Terra gravel bike (I still have a backup CX Fort Race too)
    1 old Litespeed 26" MTB now commuter/winter commuter (switch the tires)
    1 GT BMX cruiser - for fun, high RPMs, and standing climbing - commute on it 1x/wk in nice weather
    1 Santa Criuz 5010 FS for summer trailriding
    1 fatbike for winter trailriding and occasional beachriding

Earlier this week another garbage truck did an unsafe pass, too close, and the rear wheels tracked particularly close, tsk tsk. The company has since disciplined the driver, who reportedly did not deny some kind of negligence, and even the regional manager was"not happy". Making the roads safer, 1 garbage truck at a time.

Not sure about tomorrow. Changing over to snow now and 6" +/- 6" forecast, so it may not be a bike day.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Finally trying tubeless tires. First commute consensus: I like it. Really smooths out the crappy streets in my neighborhood and the massive potholes left by the street department and gas company.

dang

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    (I still have a backup CX Fort Race too)
    Are you trying to sneak an extra bike in there without really accounting for it? That doesn't pass the audit.

No ride for me today. I used the snowy morning and rainy afternoon as an excuse to take a needed rest day.

Members who have read this thread: 188