Page 244 of 244 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244
Results 24,301 to 24,395 of 24395
    mtbr member
    Lots of black ice this morning, partly covered with a thin layer of snow. Shortly before work, people warned me that the "curve ahead is slippery" . I made it in one piece. The way home was uneventful.

Cant stop thinking about MTBX - she must be on her way to PR now.

Woodway, sounds even milder than my climate - at least, we regularly have temps of just below freezing in the morning and above freezing in the afternoon.

Ghettocruiser, that sounds like you have a nice toy there. Will have a closer look now.

CB of the East
    Not much to report here. I've been 2 rides in a row without crashing. It was right about 0F here this morning. It looks like we aren't going to get the stupid cold they are having in the midwest this week and that is fine. We are supposed to get 8" of snow overnight so I'll be driving tomorrow. The trails have too much ice on them to ride them with any amount of snow cover right now. it needs to get packed in.

mtbr member
    It was nice riding in shorts and short-sleeves last night. This morning, although 17F, felt extra cold. Tomorrow's high is like 13F.

CB of the East
    From short sleeves to 17F! Damn, how warm was it last night? I can do shorts down to freezing but I don't break out the short sleeves until it is about 60F or higher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    From short sleeves to 17F! Damn, how warm was it last night? I can do shorts down to freezing but I don't break out the short sleeves until it is about 60F or higher.
    It was 52F on the ride home. Not bad, even with spitting rain. I'm usually good for short sleeves anywhere above 50.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Windy with flurries, temps dropping fast

Human Test Subject
    It was -24F in Minneapolis when I rode in to work tonight which broke my record by 2 degrees. I still had to unzip my jacket because I hadn't tested it out in these temps and overdressed.

Going to hit -28 at 0300 tomorrow so I may do some laps for lunch. It took me 5 years to break the -22 mark just because Minneapolis isn't all that cold. Gotta get it while the getting's good.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    A little drama this morning, but fortunately it all happened before leaving my driveway. My chain must have popped off a bit while I was wrangling my bike out of the garage. I didn't realize it, so when I went to pedal, I heard a big clunk and the chain got trapped in between the frame and the granny gear chainring bolts (only running 1 ring). It wasn't nearly as cold here as many places, but it was still like 7F. After a few minutes of frustration and almost giving up, I finally got the chain back on the chainring and rode off.

We received some snow last night. The MUP was covered, but the snow was powdery and provided good grip. I had to run a red light though because I couldn't find the sensor in the road to trip the light. No biggie.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Impressed: On a few sidestreets where traffic was sort-of moving, I found that the Garmin Varia radar could see cars before I could see the headlights emerge though the snow.
    Cool little toy. What's the battery life like?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Woodway, sounds even milder than my climate - at least, we regularly have temps of just below freezing in the morning and above freezing in the afternoon.
    Hardly ever goes below freezing here. Glad you made it OK with the black ice around...

Not much to report here. I've been 2 rides in a row without crashing.
    Looks like maybe that streak ended? Hope you and your bike are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Going to hit -28 at 0300 tomorrow so I may do some laps for lunch. It took me 5 years to break the -22 mark just because Minneapolis isn't all that cold. Gotta get it while the getting's good.
    That. Is. Cold. Your crazy

Easy ride for me today, dry and around 35F. Rain will be back eventually...

CB of the East
    It was -24F in Minneapolis when I rode in to work tonight which broke my record by 2 degrees. I still had to unzip my jacket because I hadn't tested it out in these temps and overdressed.

I wondered if we had anybody from that area on the board. -24F is around my record. I'm not sure I ever want to break it or repeat it. I can't imagine getting a flat mid ride once you are already started to sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Looks like maybe that streak ended? Hope you and your bike are OK.
    Yeah, it was terrifying. I've never ridden on anything as slippery and you wouldn't notice until you were already in the sh-t. I turned around and headed for the road and crashed 2 more times. I didn't realize that I had bent my hanger until I went to pull up my driveway and threw the chain into the spokes and wedged it so hard I couldn't get it out without removing the cassette. Blah! I'm hoping I can bend the hanger back since I have a potential race on Saturday.

I'm not seeing any bike commutes in my immediate future.

mtbr member
    Cool little toy. What's the battery life like?
    I have the old one, the RTL500, which was on closeout last summer. The new 510 is supposed to include longer battery life, but I consider it more than enough already. At summer temperatures I had 48% battery left after a 5+ hour ride. It's never complained at winter temperatures, unlike every other battery-powered thing I have this week.

Despite -18C and snowpack on most roads, a smooth commute this morning, now that I fixed all my random issues last week. The new tire is holding air tubeless with no sealant, which is good because I really doubt it would seal much at this week's temperatures. I even kept the gopros warm enough to last all the way to work... and even better, there was no real motorist misbehavior to document.

That said, sharing the narrowed roads with these erratic characters is getting old already, and it looks like the bike path is almost packed enough to give it a shot on the way home.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    H0ly cr4p you guys are really tough! How long did you ride in those temps volsung?

Woodway for those mild temps you have to take more rain right? Big price to pay....

Same old story here. Below freezing in the morning, making the unpaved part icy and slippery. Above freezing in the afternoon, making the unpaved part soft and muddy, thus unrideable.

mtbr member

Human Test Subject
    Around half an hour or so. I'm recovering from knee surgery and a vasectomy so riding a fat bike isn't super easy.

It was -28 on the ride home from work so I don't need to go out mid-shift tonight unless it gets even colder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Damn Volsung!

Icy on the way in this morning. Got a few inches of super dry, crunchy powder before the commute back. Temps were supposedly hovering around zero but it didn't feel especially cold to me, besides my breath freezing in my beard. Went back out for a couple hrs with my camera to get some sub-par night shots.

mtbr member
    Around half an hour or so. I'm recovering from knee surgery and a vasectomy so riding a fat bike isn't super easy.

It was -28 on the ride home from work so I don't need to go out mid-shift tonight unless it gets even colder.
    Sheesh. Was your ride uphill both ways?

No records set here. The ride in this morning was 5F. I've gotten close, but I still have yet to ride below 0.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Woodway for those mild temps you have to take more rain right? Big price to pay....
    Rain is a big price to pay? After reading all the posts here in the last few days? I'll take my mild temperatures and rain, thank you.

Watched a cyclist come close to getting crunched by a car last night. It was as much his fault as the drivers.

I was riding behind him in a bike lane and we were approaching an intersection with six cars lined up. As we approached the light turned green. My right hook radar immediately went on high and I started slowing so I could go through the intersection with a car in front of me (in case he turned right I could get on the brakes) and a car behind me (so he could see me).

The cyclist in front of me, he just blasted along, like the cars were not even there. He was about even with the back wheel of a SUV when the SUV's brakes and turn signal went on simultaneously and the driver started to turn right on top of the cyclist. At the last second the driver saw the cyclist and slammed on the brakes. The guy on the bike was just oblivious, never even flinched.

I caught up with the guy at the next intersection and said "wow, that was a close one". He looked at me like I was babbling nonsense. It was clear he never sensed the danger.

Easy ride this morning. Dry, 40F. Hope you all back East are staying safe.

CB of the East
    IDK, rain is pretty wet. As long as the killer ice stays away I'd rather ride in the snow.

I think riding on a bike seat at -28F is close to a bag of frozen peas. Yikes on those temps!

I'll say that I do believe that climate change is real and needs to be dealt with BUT. The news would have you think it is directly responsible for these temps in the midwest with the whole "Polar Vortex" thing. Um, guys, this has been happening for the last 130 recorded years. https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php January 24, 1904 -> -30F. That must have been the start of global warming.

Well, I was up before 6:00 with no fatbike to ride so instead of riding in I took 2 hours and fixed my bike. Straightened the derailleur hanger, replaced the broken internally routed cable and cleaned up the drivetrain since everything was off the bike anyway. I think it is good to go! The hanger is starting to show stress cracks since this isn't the first time I have straightened it. I found this site with cheap hangers. Specialized Replacement Derailleur Hanger CNC Machined S162600002.

The method of putting and extra long internal cable through the new and old housing and pulling it through worked with a LOT of tugging. I'm not sure how it would be possible to get the housing through the chainstays any other way.

mtbr member
    I'll say that I do believe that climate change is real and needs to be dealt with BUT. The news would have you think it is directly responsible for these temps in the midwest with the whole "Polar Vortex" thing. Um, guys, this has been happening for the last 130 recorded years. https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php January 24, 1904 -> -30F. That must have been the start of global warming.
    As I understand it, the frequency of the displacement of the polar vortex is where climate change might be having an influence. A list of coldest temps each year wouldn't necessarily indicate more frequent displacement. But your point is valid that the displacement isn't new and the narrative starts taking on a life of its own, even if it's not entirely in line with climate science.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Professor of Meteorology at the University of Washington writes a weather blog that I find really interesting. He usually deals with Pacific Northwest Weather, but recently talked about this very topic:

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/...global_30.html

CB of the East
    I'm glad my armchair scientist analysis of the news came to the same conclusion as a meteorologist. Here is that temperature data in a graph. I'd say generally warming. And from this data, the rate of warming doesn't seem to be accelerating much either.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^ Professor of Meteorology at the University of Washington writes a weather blog that I find really interesting. He usually deals with Pacific Northwest Weather, but recently talked about this very topic:

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/...global_30.html
    Good data. It looks like recently we've seen an uptick in the number of colder days, which might be contributing to all our hysteria. We might also remember the cold snaps more and forget when the temps are above average. Whatever the case, cold snaps like this don't disprove climate change. I'll let the climate scientists sort out the details.

Temps next week are going to rise into the 60s here. I'm sure the president will retract his statements about global warming.

mtbr member
    Nice discussions going on here. Actually I do not notice so much difference over 40 years, i just have the impression that the seasons are moving backwards a bit, but also that is a feeling so far. Also nice to see that more people are taking it seriously. A similar topic would be multiresistant bacteria. Nowadays meat is full of antibiotics, its a matter of time since we get another thing like a plague or something...well, life is dangerous and at the end you die anyway.

Ride in was sketchy. Had some snow overnight that was packed to ice on the streets by cars, especially it was very slippery on the spot where I crashed 2 months ago but I made it this time. At the moment I get to ride in both sunrise and sunset, and sunset today was pretty nice in particular.

CB of the East
    Nice discussions going on here. Actually I do not notice so much difference over 40 years, i just have the impression that the seasons are moving backwards a bit, but also that is a feeling so far. Also nice to see that more people are taking it seriously. A similar topic would be multiresistant bacteria. Nowadays meat is full of antibiotics, its a matter of time since we get another thing like a plague or something...well, life is dangerous and at the end you die anyway.
    That is why I don't get the flu shot. Yes, it can keep you from getting the flu and very rarely possibly dying. On the other hand, I'd rather have my own immunity working for me from years of exposure the day it mutates in a way that makes the medical industry go whoops.....All those people that have been vaccinated every year are dead. Or I might die of the flu. On the bacteria side this is a scary video showing how antibiotic resistance works.

mtbr member
    They haven't released the January global temperature map yet, but last time I remember people on the East Coast yelling about cold air vs. global warming, it looked something like this:

(So, the world "global" is in there for a reason)

Commute:

Put the tire pressure up to 20PSI last night and was emphatically defeated on my attempt to ride the same snowpack trail I made last night at 10PSI.

Lesson learned. And no, I'm not riding a fatbike.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    I dont take a flu shot either, but more because I have noticed that I get just as much sick as without it. Cyclists live healthier that is a proven fact. I personally think it is not bcause I ride a bike, but more because I am NOT sitting in a bus/subway breathing everyones bacteria and viruses

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Sheesh. Was your ride uphill both ways?

No records set here. The ride in this morning was 5F. I've gotten close, but I still have yet to ride below 0.
    Nope, less than 100 feet of climbing! There was like 20 mph winds though. It made for a -50 wind chill, but without exposed skin that number is meaningless. It just makes for really slow riding, even for a 30 lb fat bike with studded tires.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Nope, less than 100 feet of climbing! There was like 20 mph winds though. It made for a -50 wind chill, but without exposed skin that number is meaningless. It just makes for really slow riding, even for a 30 lb fat bike with studded tires.
    I think the answer was supposed to be "Yes, and I was barefoot to boot."

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    45F and rain this morning. This is what happened today:

- I got wet
    - I had to hang my jacket and tights to dry once I got to work

These are the things that did not happen today:

- I did not go down on black ice.
    - I did not crash 4 times in 1000 feet
    - I did not bend my derailleur hanger
    - I did not go over the bars because I could not see the holes due to snow
    - I did not encounter any soul-sucking snow conditions
    - I did not have to share a narrow snow-packed road with cars
    - I did not have to put studded tires on my bike
    - I did not have to worry about dying of hypothermia if I had to stop and change a flat tire

Now that I look at these two lists side-by-side, I think I am finally understanding why many of you would hate to ride in mild temps and rain

CB of the East
    OK, I'll play
    0F and clear this morning. This is what happened today:
    - Everything was slow because of the cold.
    - I had wear tights, wind pants, merino wool base,technical sweatshirt, soft shell jacket, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, bar mitts, balaclava, face mask and hat. I had to to hang all of it to dry when I got to work.
    - I still got cold but manageable toes.
    - I saw a few deer out on the middle of the woods but no cars.
    - I had a successful equipment check on my bike - Race Ready
    - I had to consider dying of hypothermia if I had to stop and change a flat tire
    - I DID NOT GET RAINED ON
    - I was a little tardy to work because I was slow.

- I did not encounter any soul-sucking snow conditions (there was one packed path across the lake, good enough)
    - I did not have to share a narrow snow-packed road with cars (I did pull over for the 1 car I saw because it was a narrow camp road)
    - I did not have to put studded tires on my bike (they were already on)

Darn fine snow riding day though. I got in and signed up for the race tomorrow.

mtbr member
    OK, I'll play
    OK. Me too! Finally I'm through the cardio rehab with heart monitoring and then had a lady sneeze full in my face as she turned into the grocery aisle I was just coming out of and inhaling. Too much inoculum for me to hold off the nasty cold that took me two weeks to clear. So on the road again! Had to deal with the terrible wind chill!

Super Roll ???? + LIII!

60F and clear this early afternoon. Almost no wind! Almost unheard of This is what happened today:
    - Everything was slow because I'm old and still unfit.
    - I had wear tights, and my brand new (Christmas) soft shell jacket, and too much clothing but was not too hot until I stopped. I had to hang all of it to dry when I got home and had soaked a towel from the sweat I had after I entered the house and got stuff put away.
    - I still got happy toes.
    - I saw a few cars. No issues.
    - I had a to adjust the cadence transducer Ride Ready (Race Ready is past).
    - I had to consider dying of electrolyte loss in sweat if I had to stop and change a flat tire
    - I DID NOT GET RAINED ON, SNOWED ON, SPIT ON, YELLED AT
    - I was not tardy to work because I say when I work in this job!

- I did not encounter any soul-sucking wind conditions.
    - I did not have to share a narrow road with more than 2 cars.
    - I did not have to put studded tires on my bike. They wait in the garage.
    - I did not ride for more than 30 minutes as per orders.

Darn fine riding day though. More cardio tomorrow morning. I want to get fit enough to ride round trip to the hospital for the class.

Still not quite dead yet!

CB of the East
    Hey BrianMc, glad to see you back on the bike. My heart (I think) has been nagging me for about a year and keeps getting worse. I had an EKG and a stress test back in the summer where they deemed me one of the fittest people to be tested this year and "It's not your heart". Well 6 months later it is still nagging so I've got to get it checkered out some more. If any other part of me had a nagging ache I'd just ignore it since that's the norm but I can't do that for chest pain.

It the meantime, whatever it is doensn't seem to get aggravated during exercise so I'm still riding and racing. https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...edon-2019.html

In commuter news, the trails were slower than expected today. We're going to have a 2 day winter thaw here. If the temps stay above freezing overnight I might dare to ride the new steed. But probably not. We will get a lot of snowbank melting into the road so if those freeze they are deadly.

Happy Monday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    After last week's polar vortex it's been unseasonably warm. I did a 25mi road ride before breakfast this morning in shorts and SS jersey.

A little over halfway through my ride I noticed my chain ring was wobbling. I pulled over to tighten the chain ring bolt but found I was straight up missing two bolts, and the other 3 were really loose. I torqued them down as best I could and finished the ride. Should've done a more thorough pre-ride check after not being on that bike for a couple months!

Here are some pics from last week at cyclingdutchman's request:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1030621e.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1030581e.jpg  

CB of the East
    ^^Do you have squirrels that sneak around and loosen your chainring bolts when you aren't riding the bike? Other than tire pressure I always figure if a bike was in good working condition when I hung it up for the winter, it should be pretty much the same when i take it back out. I am sometimes wrong about that, like when I went to get the winter bike out and the chain was rusted solid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Replaced those chainring bolts and gave my road bike some needed TLC. 100ft into my commute home I busted a spoke. Those squirrels have been busy!

mtbr member
    Hey BrianMc, glad to see you back on the bike. My heart (I think) has been nagging me for about a year and keeps getting worse. I had an EKG and a stress test back in the summer where they deemed me one of the fittest people to be tested this year and "It's not your heart". Well 6 months later it is still nagging so I've got to get it checkered out some more. If any other part of me had a nagging ache I'd just ignore it since that's the norm but I can't do that for chest pain.
    Not sure I want to bore you like Gramps reciting all his health issues. My first angina was right after I had 13 amalgam fillings replaced with the old drilling method (I was 35 yo). That is a lot of mercury vapor to inhale. High heart mercury is associated with young athlete's heart attacks (Italian study). I just finished fixing the mercury but not before I plugged the heart arteries which is a common mercury symptom. Fixed all the pre MS and pre-Alzheimer's symptoms, so maybe the stents are a decent trade. It's nice to have both legs work and continue to do so. One or other would suddenly become like an artificial leg (throw ahead and lock the knee). Can't ride well when a leg is like that. I am grateful to be able to ride again.

mtbr member
    Snow from the last storm with appreciable snow for here (5-6 " melted to 3-4") For Cycling Dutchman

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/6797/odRRdg.jpg

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Well, we got us a nice little winter storm going here in Seattle. Happens maybe once a year and unlike areas back east, the Seattle area is not setup for ice and snow. It's a mess. All my commuting routes are also a mess, so it looks like I won't be able to ride this week until things warm back up. Sigh.

Reinforces for me why I like 40's and rain

CB of the East
    Hey woodway, we got your warm weather. It's supposed to hit the 50s today!
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Replaced those chainring bolts and gave my road bike some needed TLC. 100ft into my commute home I busted a spoke. Those squirrels have been busy!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Not sure I want to bore you like Gramps reciting all his health issues. My first angina was right after I had 13 amalgam fillings replaced with the old drilling method (I was 35 yo). That is a lot of mercury vapor to inhale. High heart mercury is associated with young athlete's heart attacks (Italian study). I just finished fixing the mercury but not before I plugged the heart arteries which is a common mercury symptom. Fixed all the pre MS and pre-Alzheimer's symptoms, so maybe the stents are a decent trade. It's nice to have both legs work and continue to do so. One or other would suddenly become like an artificial leg (throw ahead and lock the knee). Can't ride well when a leg is like that. I am grateful to be able to ride again.
    Not a bore. I'm trying not to diagnose myself via the internet to much but it is good to gather information. Yeah, hard to ride with a locked leg. That would be one good excuse for riding with a saddle that is a little low.

Good commutes. Last night was pretty warm. The roads were good and the lake diden't even suck souls like it could have. This morning was just below freezing and the trails were pretty darn good. I'm hoping for a repeat of last nights ride tonight in the springlike temps. Then back below freezing for some nice trail riding in the morning. Woot!

mtbr member
    Did I ask for pictures? I thought I just posted one myself - but not much snow on mine...and no snow in sight either, rain only.

Brianmc alwwys good to hear from you and nothing is boring! Take care and stay healthy.

No riding for me this week for several reasons , but I will read here everyday. Hope to hear from mtbx soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    40s and drizzling...I like it!

Replaced my busted spoke but it won't true up to my liking, looks like I'll be rebuilding the wheel before my road riding season begins.

mtbr member
    I've now joined the pile-up of mtbr/commuting crashes.

Smooth, off-angle ice on the paved path, from overflow of a neighbourhood ice rink (that I help maintain!!) combined with a quarter inch of ball-bearing sleet to lift up the studs.

I rode across the same patch last night when it was bare ice and made a (totally ineffective) mental note. So yeah, I deserve it. No damage other than ego.

Threat of freezing rain means there's no one at the office anyways. Last time this warning was posted, bad things happened. Hopefully different this time.

CB of the East
    ^^Welcome to the club. I bought replacement studs for the center rows on my tire because they were worn down to nubs and as useless as tits on a bull. So far I just installed them on the back tire. I've got to get them on the front too because it is pretty ineffective.

After 2 days of warm weather the trails are still in pretty good shape. Some ice here and there but no "issues" today.

We haven't had enough pictures here lately.How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    I have yet to commute by bike this week. I was off Monday. It's super warm here for February, but unfortunately it's also super rainy.

Moderator Moderator
    Back from our bike trip to Puerto Rico, pix to come. Thankful we beat the freezing rain back into Burlington VT because there were tons of cars off the road and big delays last night. Very icy on the dog walk this morning, not sure if it is safer to drive or ride today, I may drive due to the risk of sliding cars.

Moderator Moderator
    I was not totally with it for the first bikecommute after vacation...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-gloves.jpg  

mtbr member
    We had a near 50 degree temperature swing in less than 24 hours. I did, however, manage my first commute of the week after days and days of rain. We set both the record for high temp (70F) and rainfall yesterday. 21F and windy on the way in this morning. I was happy to have the wind at my back. A bit of black ice on the roads, but not bad.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I was not totally with it for the first bikecommute after vacation...
    It looks like you gloved for the polar vortex but we're in the global warming period.

We got rain overnight. I took the winter beater across the lake since I knew the trails would be too soft. The road was a ship-show but the old mount and ground tires handled it surprisingly well. The rain had covered all the sanding that had been done and froze in a nice layer of ice. A runner sled would have been a blast to take down the road.

mtbr member
    It looks like you gloved for the polar vortex but we're in the global warming period.
    Oh, so that's the problem? Here I thought it was that the gloves are both for the right hand. Silly me.

CB of the East
    Ha, I didn't even notice. I just looked at the top glove and it looked like overkill.

mtbr member
    Finally had a freeze after the overnight rain to solidify the 3" sleet layer. I wasn't leaving tracks this morning.

After three days of riding in stuff that felt like sand mixed with mollasses, we are back in business.

mtbr member
    MTBX I feel the same way after vacation I didnt notice they were both for the right hand, I just noticed they are different ones.

Bedwards also a nice pic there on the ice!

I took a nice pic last week and forgot to post it :-/ will catch up soon. Maybe I have some "paddling to work" pictures next week.

Couldnt ride the whole week for several reasons and I feel horrible. Looking forward to riding again on Monday.

Have a nice wekend ya all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Finally had a freeze after the overnight rain to solidify the 3" sleet layer. I wasn't leaving tracks this morning.

After three days of riding in stuff that felt like sand mixed with mollasses, we are back in business.
    May I ask what type of tires you use for that? I need to get kitted up to get back out there but the rain keeps freezing and my Vee Rubber speedsters donít do ice at all.

CB of the East
    Bedwards also a nice pic there on the ice!
    That is actually in the middle of a corn field. We've had some freeze thaw cycles. Ice is everywhere.

If you have studs to cross the icy patches, conditions around here are great. Here are some highlights from a group ride we did yesterday. https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...erfection.html

This morning's commute was super, hard frozen trails. It was necessary to slow down for the icy spots but the trade off was worth it.

Moderator Moderator
    Early meeting and drove today, but had a nice fatbike ride with my "sled dog" bikjoring yesterday https://youtu.be/SWpuTRPzvCQ Looks like a great rdie over there bedwards!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    May I ask what type of tires you use for that? I need to get kitted up to get back out there but the rain keeps freezing and my Vee Rubber speedsters donít do ice at all.
    Schwalbe IS Pros 379s, tubeless at stupidly low pressures, 8-12 PSI... and these are 2.4s. They have so much rolling resistance on pavement I might as well drag a brick, but once I'm on the chewed up icepack they flow.

Another foot of snow in the forecast tomorrow, so the ride-anywhere icepack will be buried deep after just three days.

And yes, the plan is to ride my bike to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

How was your commute today?

Schwalbe IS Pros 379s, tubeless at stupidly low pressures, 8-12 PSI... and these are 2.4s. They have so much rolling resistance on pavement I might as well drag a brick, but once I'm on the chewed up icepack they flow.

Another foot of snow in the forecast tomorrow, so the ride-anywhere icepack will be buried deep after just three days.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I donít think that is an option for me. I have 35km each way with about 60% tarmac and 40% gravel (my favorite part). I think that is too much of a time hit added to my already 1:20 commute. I like my wife and kids too much to be gone that long. I think sadly Iím just gonna have to get ice spikes for next winter. For this week I will just have to wait it out a few more weeks I hope.
    Last edited by jeremy_burke; 1 Week Ago at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Yep, that's way too far for studded tires, IMO. My longest one-way commute back in the day was about 20 km, and that was pretty agonizing into a winter wind even though I was way younger back then.

I sometimes add mileage to my commutes to push them past 60-70 km when I have the time and energy, but as a daily grind I couldn't do it in snow conditions.

CB of the East
    Woodway! Have you bought a fatbike yet?

The low pressure with the studs really sucks up the watts. I was running high(ish) pressure on the fatbike, 4/8 PSI F/R it rolled like a dream but bounced off lumpy ice. I dropped the pressure to 3.5/7 and I swear it took twice the power on the road to move. We have had super ice pack conditions that are going to get buried in snow tonight too. I plan to take my truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I donít think that is an option for me. I have 35km each way with about 60% tarmac and 40% (my favorite part). I think that is too much of a time hit added to my already 1:20minute commute. I like my wife and kids too much to be gone that long. I think sadly Iím just gonna have to get ice spikes for next winter. For this week I will just have to wait it out a few more weeks I hope.
    For a somewhat fast rolling studded mountain bike tire I really like the Nokian Mount and Ground. Air them up and they roll well. It it gets really icy dicy drop them down in pressure. https://www.amazon.com/Nokian-Mount-.../dp/B000WJ7XRW I rode up this icy sheet of death last week. It doesn't look like it but it >10% grade in places. I'm not sure what size you need. They are also too thin for most unplowed trail riding.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

Speaking of icy sheets of death. The trails have been so fun lately. That's all going to change with today's snow but I could use a break anyway. I've fatbiked 7 days in a row.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Woodway! Have you bought a fatbike yet?
    Not yet, but have been looking at them. Off the bike for over a week now and it's killing me. The heavy snow in Seattle is finally coming to an end and it's starting to get above freezing. I've been working from my place in Central Washington to stay away from the madness of Seattle streets with snow on them. I'm going to head over this afternoon (if they get Snoqualmie Pass back open) and make an attempt to ride my mountain bike to the office tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Wow pretty icy there Bedwards!

I didnt ride for over a week too and it felt so good today to be back on the bike. Wind calmed down and the weather is going to be pretty nice the next days, sunny and max temps of over 10C in the afternoon!

Here is finally my sunset pic of 2 weeks ago....taken on the same spot as my sunrise pic a while ago, just looking in the other direction
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYeZBkhf9TLqBSKU8

As of beginning of this year, I was lucky to be able to reduce my working hrs from 40 to 35 a week. By now I am riding mostly in daylight already on both rides, unless I start early or leave late.

mtbr member
    Uneventful today. Drizzle during both rides and 8C on the way home.

mtbr member
    After 2 more days of miserable drenching rain, finally a break today. I skipped the bike commute Monday and Tuesday. This is probably my least favorite winter in recent memory.

mtbr member
    There was enough freezing rain in last nights dump of snow that I could ride on the ice-crust on a short section of un-maintained trail by my house, so I overly-enthusiastically chose the usual route to work, which features a 4km stretch of rail trail. When I got to said trail, I sank into the snow five inches.

Local variations in precipitation, apparently.

A backtrack, followed by much churning through car tracks on unplowed residential roads ensued, in order to get to work.

It's snowed most of the day, so the ride home may also be a "workout", even without the ill-advised rail-trail attempt.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Well sounds like I have good company in the "impacted by weather" category. I came over here to my place in Central Washington last Friday, expecting to go back to Seattle on Monday.

Interstate 90 goes over the mountain pass that separates Central Washington from Seattle. It started snowing up there early Monday morning and by the time it stopped Tuesday evening, 53 inches/1.4 meters of snow fell. The pass/I-90 has been closed since Monday and it's not a sure thing it will even open tomorrow. I-90 is the major east-west route in the state. What a mess.

So I am just hunkered down here wishing I was bike commuting.

Stay warm and safe everyone!

Music & Bikes
    tough
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_2669.jpg  

"There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My first day back in nearly 2 months due to persistent freezing rain or widespread ice. Someday Iíll get some fast rolling studs but for now I have to hope for less slick stuff. Today was beautiful.

I hope the return trip which is mostly uphill tonight goes well.

mtbr member
    Ha noch ein deutscher I am in hamburg in the north. 33km oneway? Wow thats 3x my distance...

I have to go up a short but steep dyke everymorning and usually when riding up, I pull the bar and make a wheelie while riding upwards. This morning a lady walking the dog saw me do it and she laughed about that little boy playing with his bike. I am 44/6ft btw

For the rest it was a nice and sunny day. 12C forecasted for tomorrow. Birds were singing too this morning. Spring seems to be early this year, but no complaints about that

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice Dutchman!

Welcome back to commuting jeremy_burke

I got in my first commute since two weeks ago today. Snoqualmie Pass opened this morning @ 5:20am and I woke up my wife and said "let's go before they change their minds". I just saw on the weather service website that they broke the single day snow record up there with 31.5 inches/0.8 meters on February 12th well as 80 inches/2 meters in the 5 days leading up to February 12th. That's a lot of snow.

Rode my mountain bike to work today. Went down once on a sketchy section of MUP, but it was a slow-motion fall so nothing damaged. It's raining now which is melting the snow. Yay!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    5Ē powder in the dark on the way in. then wind drifts on the bike path on my way home had me pushing my Big Fat Dummy. Montana commuting is fun!
    Last edited by demondan; 1 Week Ago at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Rode the mountain bike again this morning. Enough of the snow has melted that I can probably switch back to my regular commuter next week. Made a blunder on route choice home last night and ended up pushing my bike for about a half mile in snow that was just too soft to ride. Still better than driving!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ha noch ein deutscher I am in hamburg in the north. 33km oneway? Wow thats 3x my distance...

I have to go up a short but steep dyke everymorning and usually when riding up, I pull the bar and make a wheelie while riding upwards. This morning a lady walking the dog saw me do it and she laughed about that little boy playing with his bike. I am 44/6ft btw
    Ja ich lebe im Deutschland aber ich bin kein deutscher sein. Ein deutscher, deutsch sprechen kann, aber ich kann nur ein paar wŁrter sprachen.

However it is very pretty here and the people are great and the bike routes are a dream.

As it turns out not commuting my usual route of 33 km each way for the past two months and then starting back up has not agreed with my legs. I think they are now made of jello. But as stated it is better than driving.

CB of the East
    ^^You don't say. Jumping back in to a 66KM daily ride makes you tired. My legs felt jello like and I only had 2 days off.
    Rode my mountain bike to work today. Went down once on a sketchy section of MUP, but it was a slow-motion fall so nothing damaged. It's raining now which is melting the snow. Yay!
    You're going to have to re-visit your list.

I'm back on the bike after a few days off due to show. The lake had some soul sucking qualities. There were tracks to ride but they didn't end up where I wanted to go. I ended up with a 1/2 mile 2MPH push. Once I got the the trails they were pretty good.

We're entered into a 10K fatbike race this weekend. There's almost nobody else signed up for it yet. Only 6 people in the long course. I hope at least a few more hop in.

mtbr member
    Jeremy keine sorgen das wird schon

Good luck with your race bedwards!

Woodway glad you went down im slowmotion only I understand you couldnt go to work because of the snow on the pass?

Today was a real spring day. -3C this morning, 15C when I started at 4pm in beautiful sunny weather. Made a detour and when I came home at 6pm in the dark the temp had dropped to 7C only. Good rides and a good way into the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Snow again! I love the snow, but I was gonna go riding tomorrow and now it's gonna be slop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1030660e.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Grocery run today. Still a few inches on the bike path, kept things interesting.

mtbr member
    Ok I will start this week. Another day of spring weather here. -1C this morning and incredible sunny 14C on the way home. My pannier was stuffed to the top with my regular office clothing and the 2nd layer that I didnt need.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ sounds nice Dutchman! Yes, I was stuck for three days last week because the pass was closed due to snow.

After a long weekend, I commuted on my regular bike this morning. 37F/3C and light rain. I'll take it over the snow!

CB of the East
    ^^How much of the snow is gone? Just off the streets or does it all disappear quickly?

It was a great long weekend. Ice fishing on Saturday, race on Sunday and some chores and a ride on Monday.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...r-so-what.html

MOON! Who got to see the moon on their commute? It was huge this morning before it set. I hear this "Spring" word being thrown around. It was 7F this morning and tomorrow is going to get cold. The trails are riding great! I'm hoping for another moon viewing on the commute home tonight. It is supposed to be clear. Moonrise is at 5:30 so I should be just about at the lake.

mtbr member
    Woodways weather here too. 4C and drizzle on both rides, dry in between :-/

Bedwards nice race report, thanks! And congrats for you and the missus on the podium places.

mtbr member
    Oh totally overread this. Well the moon was there this morning but hidden behind clouds here. I looked yesterday evening but it wasnt as spectacular yet as I expected.

CB of the East
    Moon!

CB of the East

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Wow, those are some great pics bedwards. And congrats to you and your wife on the finishes!

There is still quite a bit of snow around - it's melting slowly because our high temps are only reaching around 40F/4.5C. Shaded areas are still holding a lot of snow which is a pain when you are riding along on a shoulder and suddenly you have to make room for yourself in the lane due to snow.

Bigger problem (for me) is the mess left behind on the shoulders and bike lanes when the snow melts. Tons of sand, branches and other debris are everywhere. I flatted .25M/.4K from home last night in a pouring 35 degree rain due to a sharp little stone embedding itself in my tire. Change or push? I pushed.

Got smart and changed out my lightweight Conti GP4000II tires for Conti Gatorskins last night. The added flat protection is great, but MAN do those Gatorskins roll slow...

CB of the East
    Shaded areas are still holding a lot of snow which is a pain when you are riding along on a shoulder and suddenly you have to make room for yourself in the lane due to snow.
    Hmmm, you don't say. What I like less is when the sun melts it across the road and then it drops below freezing leaving a nice flow of unsanded ice.

1/4 mile in cold rain is walking distance for sure. You'd be home before the tire was fixed.

I forgot to mention, it was COLD this morning. 2F when I left but the lake seemed colder. Local weather stations confirmed -8F. The biggest problem other than chilly toes is that my goggles start to ice up at those temps.

mtbr member
    Bedwards you should start to create and sell bike calenders. Those pics are so cool! I have set the sunrise pic as my desktop wallpaper is that ok?

Bad luck for you Woodway but at least it was not too far from home.

Dry and 5C here today. Not good for pics but good for commuting.

We have a new collegue in the office for 2 weeks now. Yesterday afternoon it rained before I went home and he asked if I would ride in that weather. Before I could say something my other collegues echoed "yes he would, because with the correct clothing and fenders, rain riding is fun. You turn into a little boy that races through every puddle on your way" . Nuff said

CB of the East
    Hey Dutchman. Of course you can use it as a desktop. Heck, if you want you can pick 12 out of the blog and publish a bike calendar. If you make more than $100 I'll take 50% of the profit.

We're got an extra car at work that needs to be shuttled home. I'm thinking that's tonight. My legs are tired. As fun as the trails are right now, my commutes have been running about 1 1/4 hour each way of fairly hard riding. I can make it both directions in that time in the summer.

mtbr member
    I hit the pavement this morning after hitting a patch of black ice. Temps were hovering just above freezing. The roads were damp because of rain yesterday and fog this morning. I was cautious in the spots that typically get icy, but the ice I hit caught me offguard. The pavement appeared to be in good shape. I got away with a few minor bumps and a small handlebar scrape on my stomach. Not bad, as far as crashes go.

CB of the East
    Sorry S0ck, I've got to the point where I won't ride a bike without studs if there is a possibility of black ice. I've taken "the tank" a few times when I really wanted to ride a faster bike.

No ride for me today. We ended up only getting 1-2" of snow so the trails would have been fine but mostly, I'm tired.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    We have a new collegue in the office for 2 weeks now. Yesterday afternoon it rained before I went home and he asked if I would ride in that weather. Before I could say something my other collegues echoed "yes he would, because with the correct clothing and fenders, rain riding is fun. You turn into a little boy that races through every puddle on your way" . Nuff said
    This cracked me up Dutchman, because I can hear my colleagues saying the same thing about me...

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I hit the pavement this morning after hitting a patch of black ice.
    Ouch. Glad you got away with only minor bumps, s0ck.

Similar situation here, 28F/-2C this morning, clear skies but fog forming near the ground. Coupled with snow melt running across the pavement in places, I was also on the lookout for ice. Fortunately I was able to stay upright.

I've got to ditch these Gatorskin tires I put onto my bike. The extra rolling resistance is just killing me...

mtbr member
    Ouch s0ck glad u r ok!

Bedwards, taking a rest is not bad but a sign of being able to listen to your body.

9C today and rain on the way home....and I liked it
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Day Ago at 09:17 PM.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    35F/1.5F this morning, dry ride.

I unmounted the Gatorskins I had put on the bike a couple of days ago. Those tires were wearing me out. Went back to my GP4000SII and I could feel the different this morning after about three pedal strokes. I'll risk flats over exhaustion.

Using the tools on bicyclerollingresistance.com, I ordered from ProBikeKit a pair of Michelin Pro 4 Endurance v2 which look like they have a nice balance between puncture resistance and rolling resistance. They should be here next week and I look forward to giving them a try.

CB of the East
    Wow woodway, I've never really noticed a huge difference with the gatorskins. I run those on my cross bike as the "fast" tires. For my road bike I also ended up with the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance as the best all around tires. I've got some Gatorskins mounted up on "Titan" right now. I've still only got a total of 10 miles on the new bike. It really just hasn't been road bike season.

And speaking of rolling resistance. The trails were kind of slow this morning. We're above freezing now so I think I'll take mostly roads home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

The 10km of gravel is the best part of the 33.33km i bike each way. I wish it could all be gravel even if itís slower.

CB of the East
    I can see why. it looks nice. Any part of the commute with minimal cars is preferred.

Members who have read this thread: 197