Page 243 of 243 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243
Results 24,201 to 24,279 of 24279
    Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Dutchman, I remember watching a program on the Delta Works - it's really quite an impressive bit of engineering. It may be flat there, but wind if "the hill that never ends". I enjoyed your pics, thanks for posting them!

Love that fatbike pic MTBX! Of course sand and sun for you soon!

Good luck with the race bedwards. I'm sure we will see a race report!

Well my clean bike is no longer clean. The ride home last night and the ride back into work this morning saw to that. Low 40's and rain. More of the same forecasted for the rest of the week.

Still need to order a new cassette...I'm making due with a chain that skips in a couple of the cogs. Just need to make sure I don't mash too hard...

CB of the East
    I'll give you a race report before it starts.: It was cold! Forecast to be -8F with 20MPH winds. I still haven't actually signed up yet but I'm pretty sure I will.

If you procrastinate long enough on the cassette it might wear itself in. I go through cassettes so fast that I keep them "in stock". I probably have 8 total brand new cassettes with different speeds and gearing.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Holy mother of god. I'd have so many layers on I would not be able to pedal. good luck...

mtbr member
    Woodway I lived in the middle of it the first 20 years of my life and as usual, you dont value it before you dont have it anymore ;o))

Bedwards brrr I think life would come to a total standstill here with those temps...coldest I have experienced was -12C/10F last year and for 30min it was ok but not much longer. Not to mention 10C less...good luck to you!! Looking forward to the race report and a clothing list.

Not much to say about today. Windy from northerly directions with 3C. But it was so dry by now, that I even could ride the unpaved section today without clogging up my fenders.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'll give you a race report before it starts.: It was cold! Forecast to be -8F with 20MPH winds. I still haven't actually signed up yet but I'm pretty sure I will.

If you procrastinate long enough on the cassette it might wear itself in. I go through cassettes so fast that I keep them "in stock". I probably have 8 total brand new cassettes with different speeds and gearing.
    Is that the Moose Brook race? It was superfragilistic cold when I saw you there a few years ago. Stay warm, toe warmers for

The bank robbery dye pack was my rear light, proper ettiquette for some trails that coincide with snowmachine trail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Dutchman, I grew up near Chicago, left when I was 19 and moved out to the western US, first Arizona in the south-western US then Washington state and ended up in the Seattle area. Whenever I go back to the Chicago area I value that I don't live there any more, haha

Rain again today but warmer at 45F/7C. The chain skipping has become manageable, mainly because I subconsciously don't mash the pedals as hard as normal.

I checked out Chain Reaction Cycles bedwards...found mostly Campy cassettes and a few Suntour cassettes (which I won't ever buy again after a bad experience with one a few years back). Found a good 11-spd Shimano cassette on Amazon for $55, so I should be able to get fixed up this weekend. And I'll clean up my bike again.

CB of the East
    ^^That's just weird. They had tons of Shimano cassettes last month. I got a 11 seed 105 cassette for $35 for the new bike and then another order for a 10 speed for $24.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Is that the Moose Brook race? It was superfragilistic cold when I saw you there a few years ago. Stay warm, toe warmers for

The bank robbery dye pack was my rear light, proper ettiquette for some trails that coincide with snowmachine trail
    Funny, it looked like stained snow. I run the lights on the sled trails too.

Yes, Moose Brook. And yes it looks like it is going to be a repeat of the stupid cold. The feels like temp for 8:00 is -24F. Are you signing up? I finally pulled the trigger and signed up today. I really hope the UPS driver can make it up my driveway with my repaired lake boot. I've been riding with some not so warm footwear for the last month.

The ride in was fair. The lake was a layer of slush between ice and a crust OR really bumpy ice where snowmobiles had gone, which was the better choice. I didn't try the trails both because I was late and I suspect they were really soft.

CB of the East
    Hey Woodway, Here's why. https://cyclingindustry.news/chain-r...ng-shimano-us/ I told you they were a good deal. Too good apparently. I bought my new Ultegra groupset there last month.

mtbr member
    Shimano has stopped Wiggle/CRC from shipping to NA.

Ribble cycles appears to still be taking orders... and are having a sale on Shimano today it seems.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Rides were ok today. Dry, calm and 1C.

Bedwards sounds like the ice on the lake is not smooth anymore? And good luck with your race!

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, Moose Brook. And yes it looks like it is going to be a repeat of the stupid cold. The feels like temp for 8:00 is -24F. Are you signing up? I finally pulled the trigger and signed up today. I really hope the UPS driver can make it up my driveway with my repaired lake boot. I've been riding with some not so warm footwear for the last month.

The ride in was fair. The lake was a layer of slush between ice and a crust OR really bumpy ice where snowmobiles had gone, which was the better choice. I didn't try the trails both because I was late and I suspect they were really soft.
    Yikes, you are brave (I'll call it) to sign up with that forecast! It looks like a nice route they have though. I'm not going, unless I want to sell a ton of hand and toe warmers, lol. I hope those shoes arrive, here Fedex is terrible, always a weather exception (and then packages sit for weeks), but UPS is pretty good. The fatbike has Coast Guard approved reflective tape for rim liners, so it is amplifying the tailight reflection - I really like that stuff.

It snowed the last 2 days here, about 12" total with lots of drifting and messy roads, so I have not been bikecommuting. 2F this morning, but picking up my friend while his truck is in the shop and he doesn't want to ride on the handlebars, so another driving day.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Bedwards sounds like the ice on the lake is not smooth anymore? And good luck with your race!
    Snowmobiles got out while it was slushy and made it all chunky. Now it is frozen chunks.

The boot is Here! (el bota está aquí) in case you need to say that in Puerto Rico

I did take a car today to get a rest day before the race. If I keep making up these excuses I'm going to have to turn in my bike commuter card.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Damn Shimano, conspiring against us little people to extract more money out of our wallets. Well my new cassette will arrive today which gives me the weekend to install it. I won't miss the chain skipping.

Good luck with the race bedwards. MTBX says you are brave - with a -24F "real feel" temperature predicted, I could think of a couple more accurate adjectives.

Dry ride this morning! First dry ride this week and with temps in the low 40's it almost felt like summer. OK, maybe not but compared to some of the temps that a few of you are riding in, it may as well be...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It's been sunny and nice for the last week. Today's forecast is for 7" of snow. I'm gonna ride to work but I won't be riding home...

mtbr member
    8C!! On the way home but also windy. 20kts steady with gusts over 30kts but it was a tailwind mostly so no complains.

Bedwards, Amazing how different winter can be although you are further south. I remember you were experimenting with special bearing grease for such cold temps last winter? I forgot, did it work?

CB of the East
    Nothing definitive on the grease. I do think it helped but I also think it is an accumulation of things that sap power in the cold. Tire pressure and flexibility are another big one. More clothes, higher air density, changing tolerances and winter fitness and fatigue are all in the mix.

The grease was definitely part of it. The old stuff got firm and stiff in the cold. I should probably pull it apart and grease it again. But I'm closer to installing the bar mitts and loading it into the car point.

Industry Spy
    More fuel efficient than a prius, cheaper than a gym membership, faster than public transportation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-fixie.jpg  

CB of the East
    ^^^^

Good Monday everybody!

The race wen't pretty good. I was a little slower than I had hoped but that's alright. It was a good time. My wife took second! We won't talk about my place. Read all about it here: https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...race-2019.html

This morning I proved that tire pressure is the biggest contributor to being slow in winter. We have some snow that is not quite hard enough to be supportive so I dropped my fatbike pressure to what seemed like a reasonable to spread the load. Just barely bulgy. OMG! I wanted to shoot myself by the time I got to the lake. I was peddling hard and going nowhere slow. I stopped mid lake to overcompensate and the rest of the ride was much better.

0F temps are starting to feel OK if there isn't any wind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Took the advice from last year and drove my bicycle to a 1/2 way point. It's a well lit parking lot with immediate access to the bike lane/sidewalk. It cuts the 14 mile commute to 6.7 miles. I did the 6.7 miles in 0:50:38; avg heart rate 144; average speed 7.9 mph with a high of 23.5 (it was nice little down hill thrill). I read the comments about you guys riding in the snow and the temps...but for Florida, and someone who lives in Florida, it was "chilly" and a steady breeze made it "not completely comfortable" to start, but once I was into the ride and the first elevation that wasn't an issue. Now I"m cycling in bib shorts, so my legs were exposed...again....I 'm in shorts and you guys are in ice, so I'll try not to "cry" too much about how "cold" it was. ;-)

I'm glad I got to post today, the first time in a long time. I hope to be able to make more commute posts as I finally caved to my ego and drove my bike to the 1/2 way point.

CB of the East
    Hey Jelako! Welcome back! I remember you posting last year. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. Maybe you can scope out lots that are a little further from work and work up to 8 mile, 10 mile, 12 mile and 14 mile commutes.

You didn't mention what "chilly" was. If I remember right you were in the vicinity of Ocala so that would be about 55 this morning. Yeah, chilly is relative. I'd for sure be in shorts and a windbreaker in those temps.

mtbr member
    Bedwards I read the report sundayevening already no matter the ranking riding a race in those temps is definitely badass even when you are last by far.

Jelako welcome back and nice to hear from you. Dont care about other peoples equipment, just find out what you need and use it. I myself see sometimes see people ride in shorts when I already wear windstopper pants, gloves and buff. I always think that they ruin their joints on the long run.

I cleaned the drivetrain yesterday and noticed that the left bb bracket bearing is running quite heavy and raw. It states do not disassemble so I opened it. Cleaned and regreased it. There was brown soup in it, probably water damage. Shouldnt have left the bike outside for 2 weeks without riding it. Also since christmas the rear wheel seems to have a lot more drag than normal and I have no clue why. I thought first I was out of training but after a week of riding it was worse today, not better. Its not the temps, it is not colder than last year and we are talking above freezing, not like bedwards.

Windy today, will remain so the whole week. And rain the next days.

CB of the East
    It states do not disassemble so I opened it.

But did it help?

mtbr member
    now that I read it it would make a nice signature quote...well after cleaning and regreasing it was still running raw, but smoother as before. I already decided to order new bearings, those are not expensive and it is easy to do myself. I have the correct wrench, it the same one as for the lockring on the front rotor.

When opening I also damaged the top plastic sealcap a bit. My logic is that it was broken anyway so I might as well open it up anyway to see what I could do. Besides that I have read several reports of people that did just that.

I think following happened: bike was outside leaning to the right. Rainwater collected on the bottom of the bearing and slowly made its way in, causing the bearing to rust. Well at laet now I know how it works. Once I have new ones in, I will destroy the bearing completely by taking out the bearings and look at each ball separately and the surfaces. Just to see how it works

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Jelako - welcome back! Good on you for driving to the halfway point. You have to start someplace, and the more you do it the easier it gets. Keep us posted on progress!

bedwards, I always enjoy your write-ups. You win the badass award for sure even going out there in those temps! And congrats to your wife for the podium! I've mis-routed the chain on my rear derailleur before, but never ridden on it for 100 miles!

Dutchman, I have popped open "do not disassemble" bottom bracket bearings, cleaned/repacked them and put them back together. I've had mixed results - cleaning and re-greasing extends the life a bit, but there is a reason all that gunk got in there in the first place. As you say they are relatively inexpensive to replace.

I got my new rear cassette installed over the weekend. Working remote today so no commute for me. Will try it out tomorrow.

CB of the East
    I listen to music on the commute so I never heard it ticking. I don't think it added that much drag. The bike was much much slower this morning with a correctly routed chain and slightly low tire pressure.

Moderator Moderator
    Well done Jelako! Usually I ride 8 of the 12 miles to work, but once in a while if I am running late I only ride 4 miles, and am always glad I did instead of driving that last 4 miles.

Dutchman, I know how that BB resistance can sneak up on you. Once I thought I was out of shape, or maybe the V-brakes were dragging, but until I smelled a burning metal smell and the pedals stopped turning at all, I had no idea the BB bearinga were toast! Luckily, I was abte to coast back downhill on the trail without pedaling most of the way back.

Congrats rollingrunner (aka Mrs bedwards) on your podium, you are tough! Love the frozen solid jacket bedwards, lol! It does seem like they have always had extreme conditions for that race. Congrats on your placement, I am sure 3/4 of the pack did not show, so you were really in the top 10%!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Over a foot of snow this weekend...roads were plowed/salted so I wasn't riding on top of snow at all, but I went slow and payed a little extra attention.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Nice work with the snow commute mcgillicuddy!

Rode on the new cassette this morning and it's butter. Shifting performance markedly improved and no chain skipping. 45F when I left the house, 30F at the bottom of the hill only 4 miles away. Dry and saw plenty of ice but stayed upright.

CB of the East
    Congrats on your placement, I am sure 3/4 of the pack did not show, so you were really in the top 10%!
    Or something like that. Did not show, didn't even register. In the general population I'm probably in the top 0.01% on something like this. In this group of animals I'm in the bottom third. The range of human ability and skill has always intrigued me.

That said, I'm tired! Round trips commutes with the slow snow conditions we have now are taking it out of me. I wish I had the energy to match my desire to ride both ways every day. I'm driving home and trading tomorrow morning's bike commute for a skate on Sebago lake which just froze with pristine new ice. Gotta get it before it snows on Friday!

mtbr member
    Nice to see all the people and stories here!

Windy and rain on both ride. Not sure whether I pedaled or paddled today. I think I pedaled since paddling would be slower. I hope everything is dry tomorrowmorning since it is expected to rain again...

bb bearing held up today. Somehow there is a lot of drag and it is driving the cog, because the cranks turn when I take my feet off the pedals. I now fear there is something wrong with the rohloff, maybe water ingestion like the BB...

CB of the East
    ^^Disassemble it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    but first, put it in a ziploc with rice

mtbr member
    good advice bedwards and squeak. But somebody was faster
    https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gea...sh-659526.html

I couldnt get it out of my mind so I put the bike in the hallway and it turned out that the brakepads were totally offset. The outer pad was too far away and the inner pad was rubbing as hell - there you have it. Adjusted the pads and now the rear wheel is turning much better already. Will see tomorrow on the commute how it works out. I admit I was maybe a bit too worried but I am a bit skeptical since the broken flange.....at least nothing between me and the rain tomorrow

CB of the East
    HaHa hallway brake adjustment beats a complete hub overhaul any day. My fatty was still feeling draggy and sounding squeaky with no brake applied on the trip home last night so I put it in the stand and reset the pistons. No squeaking this morning.

CB of the East

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice bedwards!

Well, I scared the cr*p out of myself last night.

Broke my mirror (bar end mirror) on Monday. Bought a new one at lunch yesterday, installed it in the bike room after work before throwing my pannier on the bike and heading home.

Immediately I was unhappy with the mirror - it seems that manufacturer has reduced the field of view compared to the old one and I was having trouble seeing around my pannier. Plus I was grinding on a work problem so I was overall out of sorts.

About 8-9 miles from the office a little voice tells me to check on my pannier. I reach back with my right hand to check, and, NO PANNIER. Damn. I turn around and start riding backwards, against traffic on the shoulder of a busy road looking for my pannier. Where did it come off? I started to have visions of cancelling credit cards, getting a new drivers license, having locks changed, etc. After pedaling/cussing for a while, the little voice comes back into my head and tells me: "you could see the pannier in your mirror on the LEFT side of the bike". I reach back with my LEFT hand, and, my pannier is safely attached to the bike. I put it on the wrong side.

What a dope I am. How did I make it to 58? The rest of the ride went fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Wow, I've never skated on natural ice before...that looks incredible! I don't know if I'm hard enough to live where the temps are consistently that cold.

woodway - that sounds like something I would do.

CB of the East
    ^^They're not consistently that cold, only in the winter.

Woodway, I'm guessing the visibility improved when you put the pannier on the correct side.

Videos should be working now. I forgot to hit publish when I posted them. I guess we can all be dopes sometimes.

mtbr member
    Woodway I think you would notice if the weight of the pannier is missing? At least I do when I take my bike without the pannier during the weekend or so. And which mirror do you use? I am thinking of getting one too.

Bedwards your vids look cool. That second one along the shore is really nice. I also see that the ice is directly up to the shore. I remember that when I went skating, the ice at the shores was always broken up because the water level was moving up and down a bit over time, always cracking up the ice. So you can go onto the lake on any spot you want?

No rain, only drizzle and only 14 kts of wind today. Way better than expected, and the average speed for the round trip was 3kph more now that I have my brakes correctly adjusted...

CB of the East
    ^^Rides are always better without dragging brakes.

This ice has only been on the lake since Saturday and there hasn't been any participation so it hasn't changed. Most lakes have public boat launches with parking. That is usually the best way to get on them. Crossing peoples property is discouraged. The water itself is public property unless somebody owns all the land around the body of water. So you can go right up to the shore.

Moderator Moderator
    Enjoyed your pannier story Woodway Amazing skating vids bedwards! Yesterday I skipped the bikecommute to lead a group fatbike ride on the local trails and then go into work late. It was great conditions, packed snow but no ice. There is about 18" on the ground now, and a storm coming this weekend, could be 2 feet of new snow and a high Monday of -4F, yikes! The winter storm warning also says * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. So I better stock up with a few provisions (beer and coffee at least).

Weather history for today: Just over 200 years ago on this date, in 1817, snow with thunder fell, the static electricity creating a most unusual effect. In Williamstown, VT St. Elmo's fire (a glowing discharge of static electricity) was seen extending from horses, bushes, fences, logs, and a company of 14 people returning from a religious meeting. Snowfall was up to 6 inches per hour. In Andover, VT this luminous snow featured light extending from most objects outside, and emitted a hissing sound.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Counting down the days till Puerto Rico Mtbx?

Dutchman, I ride with a Third Eye bar end mirror: https://www.amazon.com/Third-Eye-Bar.../dp/B001600YZ4. My commutes are mostly on surface streets with traffic. A good mirror helps a lot.

Dry ride home last night and I managed to put my pannier on the correct side of the bike. Rain was back this morning, 45F, a pretty decent commute.

Stay safe Mtbx and bedwards in the coming storm!

mtbr member
    I'm settling into a pretty consistent routine of having regular tires for the days I have snow-covered roads on the way home, and having big noisy studded tires on for the days I'm riding home on dry pavement.

It would be easy to blame the weatherman for this, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Hey ghettocruiser nice to hear from you!

Thanks woodway will look for something similar here.

Windy and drizzle again today. Bad memories of the current weatherforecast. Rain today and freezing overnight. Last we had that I crashed and I am keeping the option open to take the bus tomorrowmorning if it is icy again. For the rest temps are going down to -6C in the morning the coming week. Looks like winter is finally arriving ....

mtbr member
    Weather history for today: Just over 200 years ago on this date, in 1817, snow with thunder fell, the static electricity creating a most unusual effect. In Williamstown, VT St. Elmo's fire (a glowing discharge of static electricity) was seen extending from horses, bushes, fences, logs, and a company of 14 people returning from a religious meeting.
    I've always been fascinated by this, given that in the 18th century it seems like they saw this all the time, whereas in the 21st century with 3X as many people standing around with cameras, there are... maybe three good pictures of it on Google.

Is it a rarer phenomena see these days or are we just not paying attention?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Binned it on the ice half a mile into the commute home. Very slow careful ride after that. Bit chilly but made it back in one piece and the bike was unharmed so can't complain

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Good question...I wonder if all the metal and electric infrastructure we have now has any effect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    My commute, is a nice quite road commute! lucky me!, how ever when i get to work because office space is tight and nothing really to hand a helmet on, was wondering if there is such thing as a folding helmet which i can put in my bag?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ You need a Hovding: https://hovding.com/ (but holy smokes, 299 euros! You really have to want it.)

Nice to see some action in this forum!

Wet, warm and windy for me this morning. But uneventful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^^ You need a Hovding: https://hovding.com/ (but holy smokes, 299 euros! You really have to want it.)

Nice to see some action in this forum!

Wet, warm and windy for me this morning. But uneventful.

haha abit pricey! i see we have some folding helmets in the UK which look good! doing more research since last post and a company called hedkayse look good you heard of these?

CB of the East
    I'm traveling for work 1 day and everybody posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom-dave View Post
    Binned it on the ice half a mile into the commute home. Very slow careful ride after that. Bit chilly but made it back in one piece and the bike was unharmed so can't complain
    "Binned it", never heard that one before. I've done it but never heard it.

Weather history for today: Just over 200 years ago on this date, in 1817, snow with thunder fell, the static electricity creating a most unusual effect. In Williamstown, VT St. Elmo's fire (a glowing discharge of static electricity) was seen extending from horses, bushes, fences, logs, and a company of 14 people returning from a religious meeting. Snowfall was up to 6 inches per hour. In Andover, VT this luminous snow featured light extending from most objects outside, and emitted a hissing sound.
    That is pretty cool. Maybe we can hope for that on Sunday.

I took the exact same route (give or take my wandering on the lake) yesterday and today but on different bikes. Studded fatbike and studded 26er. The fatbike was a little faster by a hair. It was also generally more comfortable over hard frozen globs of ice.

The snow missed us so we get one more day of awesome skating. Somebody took a video the same day I posted mine but during daylight hours. You can really appreciate how clear the ice is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3S2A8FYes

MTXB, I'll be going out in the morning. It's almost worth the trip if the snow holds off. Only 3 hours on Rt302 away from you.

mtbr member
    I did a quick google scan out of curiosity and found some foldable helmets myself.

I didnt ride today, many black ice spots this morning and I took the bus to prevent binning it again

have a great weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Ya know, I was just thinking yesterday that 2019 had a pretty quiet start on the motorist mis-behavior front.

Last Night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB7pNybdAqU

This morning:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcxiAMOQ6F8

Yeah.... so much for that.

mtbr member
    ^^ Last night was bad enough, this morning with no oncoming traffic, was inexcusable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ Last night was bad enough, this morning with no oncoming traffic, was inexcusable.
    +1

Nice to hear from you MC!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Ya know, I was just thinking yesterday that 2019 had a pretty quiet start on the motorist mis-behavior front.

Last Night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB7pNybdAqU

This morning:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcxiAMOQ6F8

Yeah.... so much for that.
    I need to start doing what your doing and ride with a video recorder, the other evening had someone rush a pass and then cut a right in front of me into driveway. Had to swerve left into the traffic lane to miss the rear trunk of their pretty RX8. No excuse for that, i was fully visible.
    Couple weeks ago i had the other direction where someone turned left across “protected” bike lane into supermarket parking, i saw that one fairly early as im super vigilant in that lane because of its hazardous conditions and detected the minivan as it came along side to my right. Swerved left onto sidewalk.

mtbr member
    Anyone leaving in the dark tomorrowmorning and has a chance to get a glimpse of the lunar eclipse ?

mtbr member
    Anyone leaving in the dark tomorrowmorning and has a chance to get a glimpse of the lunar eclipse ?
    The full eclipse begine here is 11:41 PM tonight and peaks at 12:12 AM tomorrow. Partly cloudy to mostly clear skies forecast. Not most people's commute time.

mtbr member
    ^^ ok...maybe for someone coming home from the late shift. That also explains why it is early in the morning here in europe, I forgot the time difference. I hope that I can see some of it before or during the ride. That said, its not that spectcular. Moon is orange instead of white. Photoshop can do more

Edit: full eclipse is 6.15 am here - bingo for me. Will also kick the kids out of bed just as I did once at 4am to watch a meteorshower :d

mtbr member
    Dutchman, I know how that BB resistance can sneak up on you. Once I thought I was out of shape, or maybe the V-brakes were dragging, but until I smelled a burning metal smell and the pedals stopped turning at all, I had no idea the BB bearinga were toast! Luckily, I was abte to coast back downhill on the trail without pedaling most of the way back.

^^^^^LOL...yeah. I had a square taper cartridge BB go out last year. For a week, I was like "damn, I suck lately."

mtbr member
    7F this morning and icy. Like a lot of places in the Midwest, we had a ton of rain on Saturday followed by a flash freeze and snow. We only got a few inches of snow, but the short section of MUP I have to take was more or less a skating rink. I had to walk a section and had to be careful even doing that.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I watched the lunar eclipse last night...it peaked at 8:41 pm in the Seattle area. Here is a crappy photo taken just before the peak:

How was your commute today?-img_0302.jpg

Wish I would have been over at my place in central Washington...I have a small telescope and it's so much darker.

Easy ride this morning. 35F and light rain.

CB of the East
    No eclipse viewing possible here - snowstorm.

We don't need a lunar eclipse because we have our own natural phenomenon that looks like the moon. Has anybody heard of the ice disk? It's quite the rage. We were driving right by so we stopped to look on Saturday. This link has both a video and a time lapse video that is pretty cool.

https://triblive.com/usworld/world/1...ver-goes-viral

No bike to work either - snowstorm cleanup. Windchills of -25F didn't make me eager to get out there either. I'm very hopeful that people got out on their snowmobiles and packed the trails down.

Oh, and I did get out to skate before the snow. 12+ miles. It was great.

mtbr member
    Thought process on how to get to work this morning....

Quote Originally Posted by Environment Canada Toronto Weather Office
    A period of severely cold wind chills is expected. Wind chill values of minus 30 to minus 38 continue this morning.

Risks are greater for people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.

Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    bedwards, too bad you can't skate on the disk.

Holy smokes ghettocruiser! I'd just stay in bed.

Moderator Moderator

MTXB, I'll be going out in the morning. It's almost worth the trip if the snow holds off. Only 3 hours on Rt302 away from you.
    Your vids have me wanting to get some skates that fit, thanks for the invite!

I was really nice to have a snowstorm on a Sunday instead of a workday, there is a sh*t-ton of snow out there, and wind chill advisories today, which I have off for MLK day. -12F when I got up and -31 windchills forecast! It won't be bikeable for a while, but I got out snowshoeing with the dog yesterday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-funnyface.jpg  

How was your commute today?-deepsnow.jpg  

How was your commute today?-bounding.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Holy smokes ghettocruiser! I'd just stay in bed.
    Internet bravado aside, my first -20C ride in 2+ years was poorly executed.

I washed my bike Friday and forget to blast the water out of my rear shifter cable over the weekend, so I was a single-speed within 90 seconds of leaving the garage, although the speed it got stuck in was a pretty good choice.

I also had some ice-up on, of all things, my garmin start button, so I'm glad I was wearing my running watch for the stravas.

More critically, I just assumed that the 3" of snow from Saturday night would be well-packed on the bike path by weekend traffic, but since Sunday was just as cold as today, it wasn't. Thus, I had a 4km loose-snow-slog on the bike path section, with tire pressure way too high, which ended up overheating me by the time I got to work and narrowly avoided goggle fogging.

I also forgot the battery for my insole heaters for the longer ride home, but I seem to have an extra here at the office.

At some point this winter maybe I'll remember how to do a winter commute... sooner would be better

Moderator Moderator
    Oh geez, glad you made it ghettocruiser! It is easy for things to go wrong in frigid temps!

mtbr member
    Hm you guys have quite some stories to tell and I missed both the eclipse and cycling - had to drive. Back on the bike tomorrow. Here is a 1 minute video of me shot by nr2 from the back seat last week. I learned that helmet blinkie is ok, bike rear light is very bright and that for goor visibilty I should still wear a hi-viz vest over my altura night vision evo. It is missing sufficient eflectors on the back. Its made for roadies with a backpack, I guess thats why.

Vid: https://youtu.be/YJvfyaPuM18

CB of the East
    I washed my bike Friday and forget to blast the water out of my rear shifter cable over the weekend, so I was a single-speed within 90 seconds of leaving the garage, although the speed it got stuck in was a pretty good choice.
    I've considered dumping hot coffee over it to get it into the right gear when that happens.

and narrowly avoided goggle fogging.
    I read "Google Frogging" and thought "what the hell is that?". I hate it when my googles frog up.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    39F and dry this morning!

Last night was a nice evening - upper-40's and the sun was still up when I left the office. It's the first evening since the winter solstice where I really noticed that the amount of daylight is growing each day.

mtbr member
    Much, much, better on the way home.

About -16C, smooth shifting, and the winter tires at about 15PSI were butter smooth on the snowpacked trail. I also had the insole heaters at full power, and hit the sweet spot of warm extremities without overheating of the core.

I sudddenly remembered why I like winter riding to the tune of an extra 10km

mtbr member
    dry and temps around freezing today, but with a 15kt headwind all the way back. Temps are going down to -7C the next days and wind is going to calm down - cant wait

Ghettocruiser no continuous housing on your bike? I consider that a must on winterbikes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Warm (comparatively) and rainy today...haven't ridden in the rain for a while, actually enjoyed it just for a change of pace.

I've never blasted water out of my housing...how do you even do that?

mtbr member
    no continuous housing on your bike? I consider that a must on winterbikes...
    No, mostly because winterbike and summerbike are the same bike. The cable is uniquely ill-located too, exposed on the bottom of the downtube in a near-constant stream of slush and icewater. I did consider drilling out the cable stops for full housing when I switched the front to 1X, but never took the plunge. It's kind of amazing that it only freezes up a few times a winter.

Cable housings are cleared with an air compressor in the garage at about 120PSI. When I remember to do it.

Steady rain here today is supposed to be followed by an abrupt temperature drop tomorrow. I just replaced (at great expense) my studded tires, so I'm hoping things get icy enough to clear the off-lease dogs and rift-raft off the trails for a few days.

CB of the East
    My fatbike has a continuous internal housing. The loop to the rear derailleur is broken so I need to replace it. The trouble is that it is so tight that I can barely pull it through. I just ordered an extra long inner cable so I can pull the existing inner and thread the long one through both housings to pull the new housing into place. I think that will work. I'll pull the long inner cable back out and keep it as a tool.

Ride home last night: The trails were squishy so I took the road. I got to the lake to find zero tracks. I had to walk it until I found something semi rideable.

Ride in this morning: I decided to try the trails. After the slog and walk across the lake with some roads the trails were plenty passable just about to the point where I turned back last night.

Got up late, slow lake crossing, slow trail ride. I was tardy at work.. I have to decide if I want to bust my hump riding home across the soul sucking lake or shuttle the car home today. Hmmm

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ IMHO riding, even soul-sucking riding, is always better than driving.

Compared to some of you all, I have it easy. It was nearly 50F this morning, some really light rain, a little windy but that was mostly at my back.

mtbr member
    Ghettocruiser, I can image you dont want to drill on the bike. But maybe you could a ziptie to mount the cables to the bike on certain spots? I have done that on one of my bikes too and when youtake zipties that have roughly the same color it even looks pretty neat.

Bedwards my CX bike is the first one with internal cabling too and I dont like it either. I have decided to leave it as it is since I intend to ride it in dry weather only and on pavement, so it wont get too dirty anyway I guess.

Overhere winter is becoming winter by now. -6C this morning, -5C on the way home and the next days are supposed to be a bit colder. We will even have 3 days in a row with continuous frost, even during the day. This is very rare here so far, usually temps jump above freezing during the day. Roads are clear, there are some black ice spots but they are clearly visible so I can avoid them.

CB of the East
    Woodway, I think you need to come experience the soul suckingness. But yeah, I'm leaning toward riding. It reminds me of a cycling event going on nearby. The D&T 100. Short for Dumb and Tough. Because if you are going to be dumb you better be tough. It is a 100 mile self supported overnight ride through the mountains in the winter. I'm going to pass.

I can ride home and carpool in tomorrow to pick up my truck. This morning was in the single digits and this afternoon it could possibly get too warm. Tomorrow is supposed to be very warm and rain. Fickle weather.

Members who have read this thread: 187