Page 242 of 242 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242
Results 24,101 to 24,136 of 24136
    CB of the East
    ^^HaHa, Dutchman, Maybe you will have a different answer when your kids finish college and it is paid for. Like mine!

I don't have any problems when it comes to buying bikes I want. I realized that I don't really like riding the Cross Check and I like working on it less. My 2 maintenance gripes could probably be addressed with $40 in brakes and $50 for a road derailleur instead of the MTB on on there with road levers. But whatever, All the parts are ordered.

The Cross Check doesn't owe me much. I paid $800 for it and have 5000-6000 miles on it.

Besides, I haven't had a new bike in...Actually I don't remember. I guess it was the TT bike I bought off a friend. That was over a year ago and hardly counts.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Dutchman, the bike room has a tool stand mounted to the floor...one of those where you can set your bike on it to work on and all the tools are attached by cable to keep them from walking away. The building has a nice locker room with showers, and they even provide towels! Pretty sweet setup for bike commuters.

My Ti commuter has over 40K miles on it, so it does not owe me a cent! But I put three kids through college, so I don't have any cents left over fore new bikes. Actually it's because we spend all our money on my wife's horses, but that is a different story

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Here is my commuter bike leaning up against the tool stand in the bike room. Tools are attached to the cables hanging off the side and the floor pump handle is peeking out over the water bottle. Not a very good photo, but then I'm not a photo pro.

Another (relatively) cold morning. Warm up is supposed to happen tomorrow with a return of the rain. Then I'll be riding to work in the upper 30's/low 40's and riding home in the mid 40's.

How was your commute today?-image-ios-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    HEELLLLOOOOOO!! Is there anybody out there? This is turning into a 3men/1woman show here....

My kids are 3 and 7 - long time to go before they finish college Funny what you mention about the Crosscheck, overhere Surly/Salsa bikes are rare and only people that consider themselves as the "real cyclists" know and ride those brands.

That bikeroom....

Drizzle this morning, drizzle on the way home. On the way to work I had to avoid a car swerving around a parked car on her side and I yelled at her. 5 minutes later I got righthooked by a bus into the plant. Slammed the brakes and I got him at the barrier before the plant. Yelled at the busdriver even more and pointed to my eyes with my pointing and middlefinger. I think he got the message. Needed an hour to cool down at work from that....

At least the ride home was good. I started of with drizzle so I opted for the windstopper pants. It turned into rain but the pants kept me dry.

CB of the East
    I'm here but still just part of the 3/1 group. I was traveling on Friday. The Surly's are good solid bikes. I loved my CC when it was the first cross bike I had, but now it just feels heavy. Besides, I'm ready for something shiny!

OK, I'll start. The Lake Is Frozen! More here:
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...is-frozen.html

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Cool pics bedwards! Especially the boulder under water...I liked that one.

No riding for me for a couple of days...working remote today, dr. appointment tomorrow that requires the car. Drat!

mtbr member
    Yes nice pics from the lake. And how big is that chunk of ice actually? It looks pretty big but maybe you played smart with the dimensions and camera positioning?
    Thanks for the tip with the boulder, I admit I didnt recognise it and thought it was trapped air or something.
    To me it looks also much better for iceskating than for cycling - maybe you better mount some spike tires bedwards?

I admit I am still careful going around corners although I know it can not be slippery. Very uneventful rides today. After last week's action, exactly what I need

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My commutes have been pretty non-descript lately...just cold and dry. My "commute" to the grocery store is a lot longer than my commute to work but mostly on a bike path.

I've got a taco tuesday ride with some buddies starting from work now, so my commute takes a long detour and involves a lot more salsa and alcohol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    My commutes have been pretty non-descript lately...just cold and dry. My "commute" to the grocery store is a lot longer than my commute to work but mostly on a bike path.

I've got a taco tuesday ride with some buddies starting from work now, so my commute takes a long detour and involves a lot more salsa and alcohol
    Sounds good. Uneventful rides here too, clear starry sky on the way home.

CB of the East
    Hey Dutchman, The piece of ice is probably 15cmx25cm. The boulders and sand and plants and fish under the ice are really cool to see skating by. The lake is pretty shallow so when the ice is like this you can see a lot.

And you are right, the ice is much better for skating. It is a little terrifying on the bike. Not because you are going to go through but because the getting just a little off vertical means crashing.

I managed today without incident. I also went a few more miles down the lake. I'm torn between wanting this pristine ice to stay and to have some ice with at least a little grip. i think I'll try the 26er with the ice spikers tomorrow to see if it does any better. I'm also planning an early morning skate with a friend. !

What ever happend to FattyCommuter. He popped in and was active here for a while and then poof, Gone.

mtbr member
    Coldest ride of the season. 18F and clear. Not a bad ride in. I'm off the rest of the week into next week. Hopefully I can work in a mtb ride or two, if it's cold enough.

CB of the East
    ^^Oh, yeah. I forgot to report on the temp. It was 5F. The coldest so far this year and darn cold for "Fall".

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    5F. Damn. Well done bedwards.

Back on the bike tomorrow. It will probably be in the low 40's and raining...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Oh, yeah. I forgot to report on the temp. It was 5F. The coldest so far this year and darn cold for "Fall".
    Here too, 0F when i got up but must have warmed up a few by the ride. It was slowwww. Facemask velcro on thing was annoying, seems to always hurt my neck but I haven't learned. Overall too warm and unzipped jacket and vest. The only other bike at work was a coworker who had trailered her boy to daycare first - wow! She said it is nor far but all uphill to drop him off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Wasn't this by you Bedwards? https://www-newscentermaine-com.cdn....rom%20%251%24s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ 0F, oh man, good job MTBX!

44F here this morning. Wet roads but no rain.

bedwards, looks like you got your ice skate session in. Nice work!

CB of the East
    Hey MTXB a friend reported seeing a dead deer frozen in the ice being eaten by some eagles over the weekend.

Yes, woodway, I did a ride-skate-ride to work. A friend met me for 12 miles of skating on pristine ice.

mtbr member
    12m on those icehockey skates? Wow....dont you use those skates they use for racing? Much faster I think and perfect for big open lakes where you go just straight ahead.

3C all day but calm and clear sky on the way home.

CB of the East
    Yes, hockey skates. I've thought about getting some nordic skates but I like the hockey ones just fine. I like skating in and out of rocks on the shore. And I don't think they other type is good on bad ice either. I've been wearing this same pair of skates for 25 years. If it aint' broke....

mtbr member
    ........ If it aint' broke....
    ....its probably better than new. And you are right hockey skates are much better for bad ice than nordic skates. That is why I used to have both when I was young. Nowadays, no skating possible in winter anymore overhere...:-/

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, that is a long skate Bedwards, and it does not even look iced over in the pic! A very unique commute accomplishment. No ride for me yesterday, I was supposed to go to court for work but then both trials got cancelled. All dressed up and nowhere to go.

mtbr member
    My dad used to skate 6 miles one way to high school (late 1930's). Horse and buggy was the mode of transportation when the ice was not good or out.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Looked like a great skate session bedwards! I just watched the relive video and you covered a lot of ground.

BrianMc in the house! Have not heard from you in a while!

Last nights commute featured rain a gusty winds. One gust caught me when I was slightly off-balance dodging some bike lane crud and almost took me down!

This morning was 45F and rainy but otherwise uneventful.

mtbr member
    Hey Brian! Nice to hear from you! My parents also used to use skates as a primary means of transport back then....must have been good times.

Also watched the relive vid, I actually thought the bike was locked up somewhere and the remaining part was skated to work.

I checked a lot of times already if I could skate or paddle to work but although I get close, it is not very useful. Would have to get over a road and dyke and it is difficult to get out/in the water at that spot. Furthermore I wouldnt be able to get closer than 3km/2m from work....

3C again all day. Said goodbye to the unpaved section this morning, the mud has gotten sticky and was clogging up my fenders this morning. Had to clean it tonight when I came home, otherwise its frozen solid tomorrowmorning and rubbing against the tire.

mtbr member
    I just read in the news that there are a lot of meteors to be seen tonight, up to 80 per hour. For me it is early in the morning, for the east us coast later in the evening, for the west coast probably early evening.

If you have a dark spot on your route it might be worth watching. But keep your eyes on the road while riding plz!

Moderator Moderator
    Hello to BrianMc from me too!

Forgot to mention that Tuesday night while pedaling home a nice whitetail buck ran across the street right in front of me. Solid in body and at least a 4 pointer. This was a few minute coast downhill to downtown Montpelier (state capital), not out in the sticks where I live.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Tough to see meteors around here this time of year Dutchman...we don't even get to see the sun that much.

Warm this morning! 48F/9C. And finally a dry ride this week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Forgot to mention that Tuesday night while pedaling home a nice whitetail buck ran across the street right in front of me.
    The buck that's always loitering on the bike path on my ride home must be 250 lbs. If I hit him it's gonna hurt. But he's much easier to see in the darkness than the ninja pedestrians with black hoodies and headphones on.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

CB of the East
    Hey BrianMC, good to see you popping back in to say Hi.

The best time to see meteors in any part of the world is after midnight since the earth is crashing into them and they don't have to catch up to enter the atmosphere. I seem to remember that just before daybreak is the peak time. I tried that today but it was cloudy. I was going to watch them from the lake.

I met a friend for another pre-work skate. The ice is so good that it is hard to pass up. We only did about 5 miles because.... I got flats in both fatbike tires simultaneous. The only thing I can think of is that I ran over something with a nail in it with both tires. Both had punctures in the center of the tire with nothing stuck in the tire, very weird. 2 patches and about 1000 pumps later and I was good to go.

Skating that far is pretty darn easy. We were going about walking effort. It is very flat after all.

Oh, and the frame and all the bike bits and pieces (that I didn't forget about) are at my house. The build starts tomorrow.!

mtbr member
    Cloudy here too this morning Havent seen a single star, not to mention meteors...

and uneventful rides for the round trip.

Bedwards that sounds like good skating indeed. Wishing you good luck with the build this weekend!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The buck that's always loitering on the bike path on my ride home must be 250 lbs. If I hit him it's gonna hurt. But he's much easier to see in the darkness than the ninja pedestrians with black hoodies and headphones on.
    Yeah, that's a big one! Probably hurt more if he runs into you though!

Hey BrianMC, good to see you popping back in to say Hi.

The best time to see meteors in any part of the world is after midnight since the earth is crashing into them and they don't have to catch up to enter the atmosphere. I seem to remember that just before daybreak is the peak time. I tried that today but it was cloudy. I was going to watch them from the lake.

I met a friend for another pre-work skate. The ice is so good that it is hard to pass up. We only did about 5 miles because.... I got flats in both fatbike tires simultaneous. The only thing I can think of is that I ran over something with a nail in it with both tires. Both had punctures in the center of the tire with nothing stuck in the tire, very weird. 2 patches and about 1000 pumps later and I was good to go.

Skating that far is pretty darn easy. We were going about walking effort. It is very flat after all.

Oh, and the frame and all the bike bits and pieces (that I didn't forget about) are at my house. The build starts tomorrow.!
    SO wait, you got a flat fatbiking to the skate and had to cut it short, or??? Have fun with the build - or visit the LBS, lol.

Early fieldwork today so no bikecommute I did see 2 bikers (2 more than usual) on my earlier than usual travels.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    SO wait, you got a flat fatbiking to the skate and had to cut it short, or??? Have fun with the build - or visit the LBS, lol.
    Yes flat fabtiking to skate. No, I didn't cut it short I went to work 1/2 hour late. Priorities.

I trust myself more than the LBS, LOL.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Good for you on both, well done!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    No fatbiking or skating for me today. Just riding my bike through big, fat raindrops. 45F/7C so not too cold...

CB of the East
    No bike commute for me today. We're getting a few inches of fluffy snow which would be fine...Except over the sections of glare ice. The lake might almost be passable but the now hidden icy spots on the trail are going to be treacherous. I'm not sure when I will trust it actually. I'll probably try the lake with a road option tomorrow and play it by ear.

The bike is almost built except for a few nit-picky things like no adjustment for brakes and not enough headset spacers.

mtbr member
    2C and drizzle both ways...:-/

Exciting times bedwards. When do you get the missing parts? And when do we get first pics??

Mtbx: is this close to you maybe? Its even in the news overhere
    Vermont Man Puts Up Sculpture of Middle Finger in His Town | Time

Members who have read this thread: 173