Page 241 of 242 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242 LastLast
Results 24,001 to 24,100 of 24104
    mtbr member
    Missed a beautifully-blatant middle-of-the-light-cycle red-light-running-SUV... my gopro was on the other bike.

Bummer. I would have loved to have him in my 2018 compilation.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Yes I am doing better by now. Because of the cold and coughing, I could not sleep very well the last 5 days so I got sleep deprivation on top of it :-/ But I have the feeling it is getting better today.
    I guess somewhere next week I will be done and will have some pics of the complete setup.
    Good to hear that you are healing! Will look forward to pics of your new machine.

I have several routes I ride home depending on how far I want to go, how I feel, etc. Tonight I rode a route that took me past the Boeing Renton facility where they assemble the 737. On one side of the plant is a road that takes you past the flightline and you ride quite close to many completed 737's ready for their delivery test flights. On the other side of the plant you ride next to a rail line where you get to see the other side of the process:

How was your commute today?-img_0112.jpeg
    How was your commute today?-img_0114.jpeg

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cool pics woodway. Some of my family was from that area. My Grandfather who I never met, worked for Boeing.

Dutchman, yeah, that 300 model was nicely spec'd. It looks fast just sitting still. Looking forward to hearing some ride reports.

ghettocruiser, glad you missed the SUV or rather it missed you!

mtbr member
    Ghettocruiser a shame you dont have the 4$$h01e on dashcam!

Z1r, Woodway, thanks for the credits and the pics. I remember a news flash that such a train derailed and some of the fuselages fell in a river - was that this or last year?

So I made a 2m/3km "ride" on the new bike after putting on another saddle and installing the speedometer.

I noticed the stock bar svcks big time and those skinny tires too, although they are maxxis mud wrestlers, which are getting good reviews everywhere. I am apparently a guy that needs comfort For that I really really like the metallic paint on it - pic link at the bottom!

So I put the new venturemax bar on, wrapped with one layer of cork gel bartape. And I installed the schwalbe hurricanes in 42mm. On the rim they are 39mm wide measured, and they clear the chainstays with around 2mm to spare on each side. For me, that is sufficient. On the front of the rear tire there is around 10mm space, so plenty of space to install fenders if necessary. The fork also has plenty of clearance left for a fender.

I made a short shakedown ride with my son this afternoon, around 1h10m. I noticed the bike is much more nimble and I have proven an old wisdom again: Every gram counts when going uphill. So on the flat I dont think I will be much faster, but as soon as it is going up, I really feel a difference. For the rest I now know again why a hardtail or fully with 80-100mm suspension is the best way to go here. On the rooty trails I had my teeth rattling although I used to just surf down the trail on my hardtail in the good old days....

Unfortunately we started shortly before sunset and came back in almost dark, so no pics of that currently yet. It also rained so I did not want to get out my phone anyway.

First pics here, I will fill up the album later on:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RRZFU2NFlpRVZn

It is supposed to rain next week, so I will probably ride the other bike with fenders. But end of the week is supposed to be dry with some sun, I hope I will be out during daylight with the bike.

CU, CD
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:28 PM.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Z1r, Woodway, thanks for the credits and the pics. I remember a news flash that such a train derailed and some of the fuselages fell in a river - was that this or last year?
    It was 2014: https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...iver/12258639/

It's a nice looking bike, Dutchman! And you've already started the upgrade cycle

You could try one of these suspension stems to smooth out your ride - a friend rides with one and really likes it:

https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

CB of the East
    Good Monday Morning fellow bike commuters. Or at least woodway, dutchman and the few others that pop in every once and a while.

I finally posted some pics of our MTB day in Utah. I'm planning on a different post for the hikes.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...bike-zion.html

I'm finally starting to feel more myself. Good thing because winter is starting to put us to the test here. Seriously, it's only the beginning of November.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  35.4 KB

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice report bedwards. Love that desert riding!

For a good trail app, checkout Trailforks (trailforks.com). I took a quick peek and the trails you were riding are all there. Nice app, similar functionality to what you described in MTB project. It's pretty much the standard app that everyone uses in my area.

Good to hear that you are feeling better.

CB of the East
    I went to look for the trailforks app and found it already installed on my phone. I must have done it a while ago. I see that trailforks had the trails closest to me but the MTB project didn't. I'm not sure if it is the same but I liked the MTB project because it downloaded the whole area so you could see it offline since cell coverage is spotty in a lot of riding spots. We navigated to the trailhead on unmarked dirt roads by zooming in on our position on the map.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    With Trailforks you download regions (which are basically States/Providences) so that you don't need to be connected while using the app.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

bedwards you were there and couldnt watch it?! My #1 and me watched the finals series on youtube...nice report though, good you could ride at all but I think I would not recommend the bikeshop either....
    For navigation, I am using the German App "komoot" available in english as well. It is not totally for free, I bought the entire world package of maps for 20Ä / 25$. That allows you to use it on as many phones as you whish for the rest of your life. The best is, that it is covered by German Data Protection laws, so unlike Google, Facebook & Co they do not analyse, store and sell your data to anyone paying enough money. I know the people on GCN use it as well. I looked up Zion NP and there are not many tours stored in that area (not many users there apparently) but I did find the west rim trail. You can download a prerouted tour and map package so that you can use it offline on your phone too. https://www.komoot.com/

Woodway, 2014? I still have those pics in my head like yesterday - plane geeks know their stuff ;o))

So I made a short 17km/11m ride yesterday on the new bike, first ride with the new bar, new tires and the selfsewn half-frame bag. The bag basically works, but the material is pretty flimsy. I think in the long run the velcrotape will rip out, but it did hold my wallet, keys and repkit firmly without swinging. I added two pics from the ride, made them during a short stop to adjust the saddle and the bar. When I came home I decided the brifters are good where they are and wrapped a second layer of bartape.
    album link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xu5XHmd596QL6EBp6
    I found a good deal on a Topeak seatpost rack with the corresponding click-on- trunkbag for 55Ä incl shipping to my mom in the Netherlands. Will pick it up after Christmas while visiting, together with all other things I bought and sent there over the year

Oh yeah I almost forgot: I rode to work today on the other bike with fenders. Wet and some drizzle, 10C all day and the bike felt like a tank, but almost just as fast - as long as it is flat...and the unpaved part sucked today, literally. It has gotten soft and often it really feels like it sucks the wheels down. Not much longer and it will be so soft, that the mud clogs up the space between tire and wheel. I am taking the longer paved route now when it is wet.

Moderator Moderator
    The new bike is looking nice dutchman, and so does your path! Looks like a nice trip and ride bedwards, once you had 2 wheels that rolled and all, .

Winter storm warning for today so I mounted the studded snow tires on the MTB, time for some resistance training. 3-5" is forecast.

I missed some bikecommuting while dogsitting an elderly belgian shepherd. Made up for it with some gravel/class 4 road rides on the weekends. Also did a short No Vet Alone Ride, I suggested it to the shop and they sponsored it, just rode to the diner for lunch and back https://novetalone.org/ For Halloween I added ET in a milk crate to the front of the BMX for the ride to work.

CB of the East
    I didn't ride today for no other reason than I was being a little baby. It was raining, my wife was driving in and we have an extra car at work that needs to get home so I whimped out and carpooled. Riding in 33F degree rain is about my least favorite. The rest of the week is colder but drier.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Winter storm warning for today so I mounted the studded snow tires on the MTB, time for some resistance training. 3-5" is forecast.
    No Vet Alone looks like a great organization MTBX. 3-5", ouch. Stay warm and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I didn't ride today for no other reason than I was being a little baby.
    No Rule #9 for you.

39F and dry for me this morning. Supposed to rain the rest of the week.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    No Rule #9 for you.
    Nope, I need to re-visit #5 I guess.

mtbr member
    Wow mtbx you have so much snow? We are still waiting for temps below freezing. Hasnt been below 2C yet.

Again wet and drizzle with around 10C all day. Prepared the new bike for the first commute tomorrow. I hope it wont rain tonight...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nope, I need to re-visit #5 I guess.
    Probably Rule #6 as well.

Moderator Moderator
    Great ride in with the snow. Enough to make it challenging but not scarey or crazy hard. Got a bunch of bedwards' trafficsfaction passing cars that were backed up at the lights. Utilized the empty sidewalks where possible to stay out of the slush. As I approached a section with no sidewalk, a state plow did a u-turn in the laundramat just ahead, and amazingly, started clearing the bike lane of plowed snow that I was just about to enter - perfect timing, as otherwise I would have had to fight with the cars for the 1 cleared lane.
    Tonight the power went out but came back on after I walked the dog - more good timing! About 6" at home.

mtbr member
    Everyone here has been talking about snow since before the weekend. We may have gotten a few flakes, but just about everything has been rain. I'd prefer snow, really. It's more enjoyable to ride in than cold rain. I opted for the car yesterday. Today's ride in was brisk (mid 20s), but nice. We have sleet and freezing rain in the forecast for tonight. Hopefully it doesn't amount to anything.
    Last edited by s0ckeyeus; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:39 AM.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Rule #9 applies to you mtbx! Well done!

Freezing rain is where I draw the line on riding too s0ck. I suppose if I had studded tires I might consider it.

44F and rain on my commute today. Pretty uneventful otherwise.

CB of the East
    Probably Rule #6 as well.
    Ha Ha, and probably others too. I did HTFU today.

Hey MTXB you are getting some early snow. We have mostly been just below the snow line but I think we are due for some on Friday.

Nothing too reportable here. I did break down and replace my tube on my road bike. I think I had used up it's useful life. I got a new hole too close to an old patch to patch. I think the value of the patches exceeded the value of the tube.
    How was your commute today?-20181111_090714.jpg

mtbr member
    Sock I am fully with you. Without any type of spike tires freezing rain / icy roads are simply dangerous. I wouldnt ride that either, but we seldomly have it - not even once every year.

Bedwards that really looks like you patched it a lot. But there is still space between the patches, why replace it so soon?

First commute on the new bike. Roads were wet but nothing coming from the tires, so I stayed dry and clean. I got it pretty much dialed in by now, the bar is a bit lower as on the other bike, but saddle and bar position are pretty much the same by now. For the rest, not much to say. About 10minutes faster on the round trip, it took exactly 1hr today. AvSpeed was ~3.5kph/2mph faster as on the other bike. I have to admit, I had expected a tad more, that will probably need skinnier/faster tires and lycra kit. I also dont like the backpack, but I will have to deal with that for a while and I think I will survive it Battery light was not the brightest either - on the way home it got better when I turned it on. The other bike has a dynamohub and therefore the light is always on without thinking about it. Luckily some guy flashed his carlights at me even before I left the plant.

Its getting colder with temps just above freezing in the morning, but also dry and sunny, so I will ride the new bike Thu and Fr as well.

CB of the East
    About 10minutes faster on the round trip, it took exactly 1hr today. AvSpeed was ~3.5kph/2mph faster as on the other bike. I have to admit, I had expected a tad more, that will probably need skinnier/faster tires and lycra kit.
    My average speeds easily vary by that much day to day depending on the wind, air density, and fatigue level. All other things being equal if you are comparing this ride with with rides in warmer weather, you might be faster on this new bike than you think. Higher air density, colder grease, tighter tolerances, stiffer tires, more restrictive clothing, heavier clothing. They all add up. Well that's at least what I tell myself.

It's warmed up to a balmy 25F here mid-day but the sun is going down soon so I thin we've seen the "heat" of the day. #earlywinter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Holy wind batman! It was freezing out today. I tried my lobster (lobstahhh here in N. England) gloves. My hands were sweating, so they have significant promise. Was 28, in the teens with wind chill. Its 9 right now. The new giant escape commuter hybrid did me well over a few ice. Patches. Not a fan of the seat though. I'm still sticking with it, but i need. More top Layers.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Good job Fattycommuter! Keep us posted on how it goes!

bedwards, that tube is impressive. I bow down to someone cheaper than myself

Dutchman, I am with bedwards on your time expectations. I bet that next summer you'll be putting in even faster times. Different tires can help, although skinner tires are not always faster tires...

Moderator Moderator
    Yes colder than a witches t*t in northern New England as the saying goes! 11F this morning, squally but only enough accumulation for a cloudlike ride, and 10F when I left work. 0F , yes zero, forecast overnight and until 7 a.m., yikes! Added the pogies today, almost too toasty on the lower arms. Slow though, the cold and a bit more wond slowed my trip down more than the snowier day yesterday. 5-8 more inches of snow Thursday night, topped by another 1-3 Friday. Old man winter is off and running! This morning my face was cold at first but either acclimated, warmed up, or froze.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Good job Fattycommuter! Keep us posted on how it goes!

I have to agree with both of these! I always feel like a patch will fail before I get another puncture, so I spring for a tube - apparently way to early.
    Fattycommuter, if your top layers feel too bulky, it can help to make 1 or 2 sleeveless layers, like a cozy synthetic or wool undershirt layer or sweater vest from the thriftstore. They keep the core warmer without making you feel like the Michelin Man.

mtbr member
    The freezing rain did materialize. Fall came late this year, and winter has apparently decided to show up early. Some trees have taken a beating, especially since the leaves haven't completely fallen on many of them. Temps never dropped below freezing, so the roads ended up being fine. I grabbed my bike with fenders and had a nice ride in.
    Last edited by s0ckeyeus; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:30 AM. Reason: Fixed "below zero" to "below freezing." Either I've switched to Celsius or I need more coffee...

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattycommuter View Post
    Holy wind batman! It was freezing out today. I tried my lobster (lobstahhh here in N. England) gloves. My hands were sweating, so they have significant promise. Was 28, in the teens with wind chill. Its 9 right now. The new giant escape commuter hybrid did me well over a few ice. Patches. Not a fan of the seat though. I'm still sticking with it, but i need. More top Layers.
    You ain't whistling Dixie Fattycommuter. That wind last night SUCKED. I'm assuming it was similar in ME, VT and NH. It was a headwind the whole way home. At one point it felt like I should be home and was barely half way.
    You'll be wicked impressed that the "new" one I put in came out of the patched pile It is starting over with 2-3 patches already in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I have to agree with both of these! I always feel like a patch will fail before I get another puncture, so I spring for a tube - apparently way to early.
    I don't think I've ever had a glue type patch fail except for a few infant mortalities based on poor application. If they last 24 hours, they last forever. The stick on patches give out in the heat so I stopped using them.

This morning was forecast to be colder than last night's ride. Which seems impossible because last night's ride was really really really really really cold. So I bought the mountain bike and added a layer. It was very comfortable. Just like mid-January or February but comfortable. I have to (get to) shuttle a car home tonight and have tomorrow off.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    All you riding in the snow/teens/single digits get the badass award!

I have never had a glued patch fail either, except when I did a crummy application job. Usually that means I did not wait long enough between applying the cement to the tube and laying down the patch. I usually call a tube with three patches "used up" but need to re-think my criteria now...

This morning was mid-40's and light rain. Really not a bad morning for a ride, except I think I was sleeping through most of it because I literally cannot remember most of the ride. I do remember leaving my place but it's all blank until I was about a half mile from my office...

mtbr member
    Yes sounds pretty rough for some people here already with freezing rain, cold, snow etc.

It is correct what you guys say about the low temps etc but that counts for the other bikes as well. Nevertheless I rode the bike again today and I am getting used to it and I am starting to like the bike pretty much by now.

It was "drizzly" this morning (drizzle / foggy), glasses fogged up within minutes and I had to wipe off the front light every 5 minutes to have some light. I had a shitty day at work but at least had the opportunity to leave early, so I didnt need the light and enjoyed the sunset on the way home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    First snowy commute of the year this morning. Got my dynamo wheel and light wired up.

I like to read about early arctic expeditions this time of year...takes the sting out of winter conditions to realize what those guys went through! "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing is one of the best books I've ever read. Just starting "Farthest North" by Fridtjof Nansen.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ What those guys experienced is nothing short of amazing. And a "badass" award for squeakymcgillicuddy!

Good to hear the bike is working out for you Dutchman!

47 and light rain here today. I've got a big Mountain Bike ride planned for tomorrow so took it nice and slow this morning and probably won't take the long way home tonight. Have a good weekend all!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    6" snow yesterday with 33 degress and rain on top, now its a solid disaster. 45 today, hopefully it will clear the roads for. Monday's comutte. I had to skip thursday and friday due to weather. I need my commute fix... The NH roads are not set up for winter commuting (or summer for that matter) but ill figure it out. Narrow roads, zero shoulder. Fat bike time! Just bought a better rear rack so i can use my pannier. Thanks to everyone for the encouragements!!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Good call, I skipped the ride in Friday's snowstorm here in VT too. The roads were a mess and I was pretty beat from the cold and snowy commutes this week. Sometimes you just have to wait for better conditions and road cleanup.

Squeaky, I like those kind of books too, try The Lure of the Labrador Wild if you have not read that one. I got it in an audiobook download from the library. I will check those titles, not sure if I have read both.

CB of the East
    ^^I skipped Fridays ride because I didn't go to work. But if I did I would have skipped the ride. Any storms where they plow the snow into the space I normally ride I skip. It just doesn't' work on rural roads. We were getting light snow this morning but it wasn't enough to plow so I went for it.
    All you riding in the snow/teens/single digits get the badass award!
    Count me in this morning. Rule number 5 baby! Well, it was snowing anyway.

I have never had a glued patch fail either, except when I did a crummy application job. Usually that means I did not wait long enough between applying the cement to the tube and laying down the patch. I usually call a tube with three patches "used up" but need to re-think my criteria now...
    Almost every time. I have to make myslef do something else while the glue drys. 3 patches is just gettin' broken in.

This morning was mid-40's and light rain. Really not a bad morning for a ride, except I think I was sleeping through most of it because I literally cannot remember most of the ride. I do remember leaving my place but it's all blank until I was about a half mile from my office...
    Autopilot.

I pulled the winter commuter down from the hooks this morning and...Chains are supposed to bend, right? I must have put it away wet and salty and it was rusted solid. Emergency chain replacement and some air in my tires and I was on my way.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Nice recovery bedwards.

We have a few days of beautiful sunny fall weather going. Took advantage this weekend to get a 21 mile trail ride in. I'm still smiling thinking about it.

How was your commute today?-img_0143.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_0145.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_0148.jpg

mtbr member
    Oh oh bedwards that doesnt sound good at all - how long did you need to replace the chain? And I know the problem of not letting the glue dry too....

Woodway those are nice pictures again! And I know that autopilot feeling too. In addition I always daydream of being in the middle of an adventure. For example, the treeline a little away is turns into the Himalaya while riding on the Karakorum Highway...etc

Rode the touring bike again today. It is supposed to get wet so I carried the new bike in the basement. Some drizzle again this morning but nothing worth worrying about. The touring bike feels like a tank on a cushion by now.

I found the suitcase scale and weighed all my bikes yesterday. The new bike weighs in at 12.2kg, the grey Dahon 26" is 17.2kg and the 28" main bike is 18.6kg .....so there's the difference.

CB of the East
    Oh oh bedwards that doesnt sound good at all - how long did you need to replace the chain?
    How long? About 108 links. Or did you want the answer in time. That was about 10 minutes that I knew about it. I must have ridden it in salty wet conditions on my last ride. It was fine when I hung it up for the season last spring. I have new chains "in stock" but I used on old one that I had lying around. I need to adjust the length I think. I just slapped it on with a quick link. I suspect it may drag on the ground using a small-small combination on the triple crank.

I found the suitcase scale and weighed all my bikes yesterday. The new bike weighs in at 12.2kg, the grey Dahon 26" is 17.2kg and the 28" main bike is 18.6kg .....so there's the difference.
    And the good news is that you can still drop 5.4KG and still meet the UCI weight limit. 12.2Kg is still on the heavy side in my book. And 18.6. That must be loaded with fenders racks and panniers. Although the one I am on today must be in the 17 range.

mtbr member
    For a CX bike 12.2 is still not light at all indeed. Probably the price you pay for having the lowest/cheapest model of the range, although I already installed heavier tires, saddle and bar (the venturemax in 46cm is a pretty big one).
    and the heaviest bike is indeed fully overequipped with a Rohloff, heavy rims/tires, front and rear rack, 5XL fenders, dynamohub+lights, .... even the saddle is probably heavy, its an SQLab 602 Active (the one that rocks side to side with your hip). Tires must be 850 each too and the tireliner also adds 200grams and and and....and I dont regret any of it. I seldomly have to even lube the chain, it just rides very plushy. Not too much of a difference because it is flat here. Climbing is a whole different story, as soon as you are going up it feels like you dropped an anchor.

Moderator Moderator

I pulled the winter commuter down from the hooks this morning and...Chains are supposed to bend, right? I must have put it away wet and salty and it was rusted solid. Emergency chain replacement and some air in my tires and I was on my way.
    Haha, I thought you meant the tire chains!

I intended to ride today, but it was way to nice. No actually, I got up early and went down to do some basement reorganizing so I could get the 5 bikes out of my kitchen/dining room before company comes. I got caught up in cleaning junk out and next thing you know it was too late to ride. On the plus side I dropped off a bunch of junk and scrap and old paint today with the car. Snow is forecast for tomorrow.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I woke up to a beautiful morning and grabbed my 3 season CX commuter. I almost killed myself on ice on a hill by me (Edworthy Hill for any Calgarians). That's it. Kona hardtail winter commuter with studded tires from now until April regardless of how warm it is outside. And regardless of how much of a tank that bike is. I am very fortunate I didn't hurt myself really bad. I am going to have bad dreams about that whole shit show tonight.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow, glad you are OK Mike! Wipeouts and near wipeouts are super scarey, and more so with cars around. Safe travels.

CB of the East
    Hey Mike, I'm glad you are OK. That's why I pulled my tank off the hooks yesterday. I had one experience on my road bike where I realized that even though it hadn't rained at all the road got covered in dew and was all black ice. I was going about 35mph when I realized that.

Today, I'm in the truck. There's too much snow on the road to be safe on my commute. Even if I took the whole lane the cars would have to cross the slush to go around me and that's not safe for them or me.

mtbr member
    Mike that sounds scary indeed. Glad you made it out allright.

Windy today, 3C on the way in and 4C on the way home against a 15kt headwind. But as long as it is dry, I'll take it. Speaking of which, it is still exceptionally dry this fall so far. When it comes to temps and rain it is already an unbeatable year.

mtbr member
    It's been so cloudy this fall. Rainy too. Kinda sucks.

I drove yesterday. Today is gloomy and upper 30s...all day. Not bad riding weather.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Thanks guys. Took the Kona hardtail in today. Itís actually a rigid as the fork seized on me about 4 or 5 years ago. Had a blast. Itís heavy AF but still a whack of fun to ride. And the hill today was a piece of cake with the studded tires - both down and up. Lots and lots of fun. Best way to start and end a work day.

Thanks again for your concern. Hope you guys are having as much fun as me (now that I have put my CX bike away until April).

mtbr member
    Hey mike sounds much better like that!

Bedwards roads are now cleared or still dangerous? No other route available?

Again a windy day with temps of 2C and 15kt winds from the east. Good rides though. Tightened the clamp on my headlamp this morning so it didnt move down with every bump leaving me with a brightly lit fender and a black hole in front of me. Unpaved section is still rideable, normally it is already a big sticky muddy mess that is clogging up the space between tire and fenders. I enjoy it as long as I can.

mtbr member
    Haven't touched a bike in two months (newborn at home) but decided I'd ride to work. 30 degrees was a little cold for the first mile or two but after that it was all good! Had tire rub the whole way home somehow but I managed to get home at a snail's pace

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Which pogies do you have on those jones bars?

mtbr member
    Quiet here - I guess because of Thanksgiving right?

No T-day here and commuted normally. Yesterday afternoon the wind calmed down so riding became instantly better on the way home and today. 2C was suddenly not cold anymore. Rode 5 of 5 days this week.

I wish all a nice Thanksgiving and weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Which pogies do you have on those jones bars?
    Regular old Bar Mitts. They come off at a bit of an angle but it doesn't seem to bother me at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks, good to know!

A driver veered out of their lane and slammed into a parked car right across from my apartment the other night, feeling paranoid now. Gotta believe in the power of the blinky light.

Moderator Moderator
    Quiet here - I guess because of Thanksgiving right?

I wish all a nice Thanksgiving and weekend!
    Correct, 4 day weekend for the lucky ones here. I did a little bikejoring yesterday and joined the LBS in the holiday parade. Mine has the reflective rim tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-holidayparade.jpg  

How was your commute today?-bikejor1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-bikejor2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mtbx that is not an e-bike but a D-bike (dogbike)

Like those Kids too. Did they participate in the whole Ride?

mtbr member
    I took a long ride on some country roads yesterday. It was sunny, clear, and around 60F. This morning, it was snowing, windy, and 34F.

It wouldn't have been a bad commute if not for the two morons who seemed hellbent on killing someone. The first car was planning to cruise through the right turn without stopping. Unfortunately, I was already mostly through the intersection and was in front of the car as it started to turn. I hit the brakes and yelled loudly towards the driver's window. The car stopped.

The second car wasn't about to wait for me to turn left. The driver was at a stop sign on my right and kept creeping out into the intersection awkwardly, while I was waiting for 3 oncoming cars to go by before I turned left. Whenever I enter an intersection, I always claim my spot to avoid awkward interactions with cars. Usually it works. This time, it didn't. Just before the last car, the driver to my right hit the gas, swerved around in front of me, and sped through the intersection in front of the oncoming car.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Love the pics MTBX!

Took last week off from work and aside from one Mountain Bike ride, mostly enjoyed some thanksgiving downtime.

Back to my routine today. Low 40's, rain and uneventful.

CB of the East
    Yeah, T-day meant 4 days without commuting!!!!
    Bedwards roads are now cleared or still dangerous? No other route available?
    They were slushy last Wednesday and then I had 2 days off. They were okay this morning with some light snow coming down but not accumulating. It is supposed to snow more tonight, hopefully after I get home. I'm on the tank with the studded tires. I considered taking the fatbike and going through the woods but without the frozen lake it would take about an hour and fifteen minutes (or more with the snowy unpacked trails) each way and I wasn't up for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    A driver veered out of their lane and slammed into a parked car right across from my apartment the other night, feeling paranoid now. Gotta believe in the power of the blinky light.
    I go with 2 blinky lights for more power.

I got out once over the weekend on the fatbike. The trails were mostly unpacked with about 4-6" of snow. We averaged about 3.9MPH.

mtbr member
    1 hour later and I am still shaking.

This is what happened. I have to cross a 4lane busy road for which I have my own bike/pedestrian light. When I arrived my light was red so I stopped. I figure I have somehow registered the green lights for the cars to be for me. So I start crossing the road and see a car slowly braking beside me. I slam my brakes, look again, and look angry at her like "wtf do you think you are doing". I want to continue and then I notice three trucks riding around max allowed speed on the other side over the intersection, crossing my way from right to left. That is where I realised that something went really terribly wrong. The lady on my left was still standing still so I could turn around and get back on the sidewalk. I really wonder what other people might have thought about the whole thing.

I think all the reflective stuff has helped to prevent worse. Glad I have it, but a working brain is better.

Make sure you all stay safe, alert and not on autopilot.

Moderator Moderator
    Mtbx that is not an e-bike but a D-bike (dogbike)

Like those Kids too. Did they participate in the whole Ride?
    Haha, yes D-bike! Those kids are great, they rode from the shop to the parade start and then the parade route, 1 on his balance bike. Maybe a mile RT through the downtown? And they were more patient than some of the adults waiting for the parade start.

Moderator Moderator
    1 hour later and I am still shaking.

This is what happened. I have to cross a 4lane busy road for which I have my own bike/pedestrian light. When I arrived my light was red so I stopped. I figure I have somehow registered the green lights for the cars to be for me. So I start crossing the road and see a car slowly braking beside me. I slam my brakes, look again, and look angry at her like "wtf do you think you are doing". I want to continue and then I notice three trucks riding around max allowed speed on the other side over the intersection, crossing my way from right to left. That is where I realised that something went really terribly wrong. The lady on my left was still standing still so I could turn around and get back on the sidewalk. I really wonder what other people might have thought about the whole thing.

I think all the reflective stuff has helped to prevent worse. Glad I have it, but a working brain is better.

Make sure you all stay safe, alert and not on autopilot.

Super scary, glad you are OK. I think everyone can relate to that kind of space-out.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Wow Dutchman, close call for sure. So easy to lose focus for just a minute...

A mile RT on a balance bike MTBX? That's awesome! That kid qualifies under rule #9 already!

Rain and more rain here. We are getting a pineapple express type storm right now - the moisture streaming in originates from the area around the Hawaiian Islands - so while it's really wet, it's a relatively warm wet

CB of the East
    Hey dutchman, I had one of those moments in a car years ago and I still remember it. I was turning left into my driveway. For some reason it didn't register that a car was coming and it turned directly in front of it. I still don't know why. Luckily he was paying a lot more attention than I was and missed me.

Surprise blizzard here. I was thinking we were going to get an inch or 2. It is more like 6"-12". I'm walking the fine like between crazy and stupid but I guess I get to claim rule #9. Pics and reflections here: https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...l-realize.html

mtbr member
    No blizzard here. We barely got any snow, but the roads were still slick, since they have yet to apply any salt to the roads. Not a bad commute though.

CB of the East
    ^^I much prefer untreated roads on the bike as long as they are somewhat plowed. Salted roads are grimy, dirty and gross. I also keep my snowy road travel limited to low traffic roads as much as possible so I don 't have to worry about cars trying to get around me. Today's commute was over 2 hours with 7 miles of road and I saw 5 cars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    woodway: I miss a lot about Seattle, but not the Pineapple express commutes! Felt like I was peeling off a wet suit when I got to work.

bedwards: Whoa - 2 hour snow commute? What's your footwear?

Yesterday was in the 20s, but dry and calm.

CB of the East
    Lakes, either 303s. 1 size up for comfortable double socks. They are generally good to the single digits and I wear them below 0 with cold toes.

mtbr member
    Somehow supportive to read I am not alone. Well I was even scared today when I crossed the road at that point today.

This month will be the 10th month in a row that is way too dry. I think I wore the raingear only twice from march to now. Of course that is nice but I wonder what the longterm effects of the drought will be. We'll see in the future I guess. Experts are saying that plants and trees might not get green next spring because the waterlevel in the ground has sunk so much.

On the ride home I had the first freezing temps this winter, -2C on the way home. But it was nice, clear starry sky and hardly wind. Hopefully the same tomorrow morning, after that temps will go up again.

bedwards those are impressive snowpics. Would love to plow through that as well with a fatbike, but maybe not everyday.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Week Ago at 12:53 PM.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice pics bedwards. badass for sure. It may have been a tough ride but a year from now it will still standout among all the rides you did in 2018. Well done!

Dutchman, that fear will keep you on your toes for a while!

squeaky - yesterday was definitely one of those "peel off the wetsuit" days. Rained this morning, but now the sun is out and it's in the low 50's. Not so bad! Where do you live now?

mtbr member
    ^^I much prefer untreated roads on the bike as long as they are somewhat plowed. Salted roads are grimy, dirty and gross. I also keep my snowy road travel limited to low traffic roads as much as possible so I don 't have to worry about cars trying to get around me. Today's commute was over 2 hours with 7 miles of road and I saw 5 cars.
    A plow wouldn't do anything on the roads today. We must have gotten some freezing rain during the night and a dusting of snow on top. It was so little snow, you wouldn't think it result in anything, but some roads were rather slick. Just about everyone coming in slid at least once on the way in, myself included.

CB of the East
    ^^Ahh, the old light fluffy snow over ice thing. Yeah, that kinda needs salt even if it is gross.

Nice pics bedwards. badass for sure. It may have been a tough ride but a year from now it will still standout among all the rides you did in 2018. Well done!
    Funny you should say that. This popped up as a facebook memory from 4 years ago. The bike has changed but I haven't smartened up. There might even be a blog post about it, LOL. How was your commute today?-10551095_10204358051265131_3215424215647240960_n.jpg

I'm carpooling home. We got a few more inches of snow and then lots of rain to make it all good and heavy. I don't have another 2 hours of badass in me today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Where do you live now?
    Mid-Missouri...colder but drier winters here. Summers are humid and icky.

Had good clear skies tonight so I rode out into farmland to try some night sky photography. Turned into a popsicle out there! Frostnipped my pinkie toes and came down with the screaming barfies when I finally got home.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    "screaming barfies", good description!

Well, I had quite an eventful ride last night. It started so innocently, just another ride home. It had been raining earlier but had stopped by the time I left the office. About a mile out, it started to sprinkle. At mile five it was raining harder, but really no problem. At mile ten, just as I started climbing a pretty steep hill, it started to downpour. I mean like you are standing in the shower downpour.

Being a rule #9 badass, I smiled and kept pedaling. What a mistake. Never, ever smile in the face of the weather gods.

About halfway up the hill, I flatted. I got the wheel off and as I was running my hand around the tire (in the dark) trying to feel for what caused the flat, unbelievably it started raining even harder. And now the wind was blowing in great big gusts. And thunder. And lightening. It was dark and I was struggling to put a new tube in with water streaming off the visor of my helmet filling the tire.

I wasn't smiling anymore.

The rain never let up for the rest of the ride home and by the time I arrived I was wet everywhere and cold.

Went to bed early and had an uneventful ride into work this morning in light rain. The weather gods put me in my place.

CB of the East
    ^^ It may have been a tough ride but a year from now it will still standout among all the rides you did in 2018. Well done!

I took the truck today. I wasn't up for blazing trails again and the roads were slushy and icy.

mtbr member
    "screaming barfies", good description!

Well, I had quite an eventful ride last night. It started so innocently, just another ride home. It had been raining earlier but had stopped by the time I left the office. About a mile out, it started to sprinkle. At mile five it was raining harder, but really no problem. At mile ten, just as I started climbing a pretty steep hill, it started to downpour. I mean like you are standing in the shower downpour.

Being a rule #9 badass, I smiled and kept pedaling. What a mistake. Never, ever smile in the face of the weather gods.

About halfway up the hill, I flatted. I got the wheel off and as I was running my hand around the tire (in the dark) trying to feel for what caused the flat, unbelievably it started raining even harder. And now the wind was blowing in great big gusts. And thunder. And lightening. It was dark and I was struggling to put a new tube in with water streaming off the visor of my helmet filling the tire.

I wasn't smiling anymore.

The rain never let up for the rest of the ride home and by the time I arrived I was wet everywhere and cold.
    Oof! That sounds rough.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ It may have been a tough ride but a year from now it will still standout among all the rides you did in 2018. Well done!
    Touche! Yes, I won't forget this one for a while.

mtbr member
    Ouch woodway you laughed at the wrone one apparently :-/ but I agree with bedwards: it was a memorable ride.

-4C this morning. Wore a thicker longsleeve and felt fine, but the windstopper pants were quite refreshing. Probably time to dig out the padded overpants. Ride home was just above freezing but with a nasty southeast wind that was a headwind most of the time...

But tomorrow morning it is forecasted to be +6C with rain.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Dry ride this morning. First dry ride this week. Supposed to be dry tonight, I may take the long way home.

CB of the East
    OK, all is right in the world. I'm back on the bike. Well...at least I am back on the bike. The world's a pretty F-ed up place lately. Anyway.

The roads are pretty clear. I took the studded beast again in an abundance of caution. There is a lot of snowbank melting and re-freezing in streams across the side of the road. I don't need to find those icy patches in the dark. I am itching to take a faster drop bar bike. Maybe it is time for studded 700C tires. No major storms in sight on weekdays.

mtbr member
    Rain here most of the day. Rode both ways in the rain and had it covered pretty good clothing wise. Waterproof, right working temps.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow Woodway, sounds like you really got dumped on. Glad you made it home ok, if a bit more miserable than expected. I don't know that I could have fixed that flat in those conditions, well done!

Bedwards, love the orange bike pics from your epic snow trek. When I had the 6 mile trail commute I had some 2 hour winter rides home as well. When you can't even push the bike anymore because of the snow buildup, you do question your decision-making capacity.

It has been snowing here since Tuesday, woke up to 6-8", took the day off for a service appointment that never happened, had another 6" by afternoon, and 6 more by Wednesday a.m. Only a couple today, and I planned to ride, but used the time for snowshoeing with the dog before work instead of slush riding. A wierd thing on Tuesday; there was so much heavy snow built up on a a power line (it goes through the woods where I was skiing, a discontinued road/snowmo trail), that when it fell off, the wires bounced so much that the telephone pole bounced back and forth violently and with an unnatural creaking sound. The pole line zigs and zags along and over the trail on the way home, and I kept a close eye on them the rest of the way.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Really strange that much snow could build up on a power line...must have been really waterlogged heavy snow. I love snowshoeing!

Light rain here again this morning. 38F/3C. Uneventful.

CB of the East
    Wow MTXB you are in the snow belt. We only got some of those storms. It's clear today and I brought "the fast bike" which at this time of year is the Cross Check. I don't think I have ever referred to it as fast. Which brings me to my next point.

Woodway, I know you like Habanero Cycles. I'm thinking of going that direction for a new commuter style bike. Would he remember you? I get the impression it is a small shop. If so, send me a PM with your name and I'll let him know you referred me.

So, I pulled the CC out and swapped over to the wheels with the knobby tires for this time of year. So I had to adjust the brakes. I HATE the brakes on that bike. And I had to adjust the shifter. I HATE the rear shifter on that bike. Other bikes I can adjust with no problems but the cross check is never happy. At this point the brakes don't rub and if you fiddle with the shifter it changes what gear you are in eventually.

The ride in was pretty good. About 28F but minimal ice on the roads.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Really strange that much snow could build up on a power line...must have been really waterlogged heavy snow. I love snowshoeing!

Light rain here again this morning. 38F/3C. Uneventful.
    Yes, I can attest that the snow is sticky and heavy !! Unlike a blizzard, it has not been windy so the snow kept building up; I have a very sad weighed down lilac tree (still) that, I don't know if it will come back to it's 7' high fullness. If I wasn't snowshoeing it would really be a chore just to take the dog out, at least I have some paths around the yard and I am trying to keep up with the feeder trail in the woods. Snowshoes are great, they let you go pretty much anywhere, unlike fatbikes or skis. I have been lucky, some people are still without power since Tuesday and ice is expected Saturday night. This was an elevation storm, folks below 1000' got a lot less, even a few miles away.

Oh I see it's a recordbreaker (from the year 1900!)https://vtdigger.org/2018/11/30/verm...owfall-record/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-snowfield.jpg  

How was your commute today?-snowdog.jpg  

How was your commute today?-snowpines.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mtbx your dogs will need snowshoes as well in that deep snow!

Good rides today, it was warm, dry and calm. 7C on the way home, wednesdaymorning we had -4C.

Lots of rain is forecasted for the weekend. Good for the earth, good for the kids. Puddlerace is in preparation!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice pics MTBX! Especially like that last one.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice pics MTBX! Especially like that last one.
    Thanks! It's a red pine plantation, all in neat rows, from back when they were trying to reforest VT.
    https://vtdigger.org/2012/12/09/in-t...rmont-history/

https://www.uvm.edu/landscape/learn/...s/forests2.pdf

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I enjoyed reading those articles. We see a landscape and it's easy to think it's always been that way. Same issues out here in Washington State - many of our forests are completely overgrown due to 100 years of fire suppression. I've found pictures taken in the late 1800's of the forests in the central part of the state that show a landscape that is much more open than what we see today.

No commute for me today, I'm working remote. The weatherman is predicting a cold but dry week ahead. I'll be on black ice patrol!

Moderator Moderator
    Rain jacket sale today https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...lite-21-jacket I think I have an earlier version; if so, it is a bit warm over 40F but it is what I choose if it's colder or I will be out for an extended ride.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...lite-21-jacket

Glad you liked the articles Woodway, no commute for me either, out sick today. Just a cold, but since I made someone go home recently for coughing on everyone in the open office, trying to set a good example. She said there was no bus home for a few hours; I said go cough on the people at the bus stop in the lobby.

mtbr member
    Mtbx I had a tough cold too a while ago. Hope you get well soon!

So I did commute today.. this morning it rained the whole way and about 15 minutes was a heavy downpour that made me riding through 2cm of water or so. I had a headwind too so those thick heavy drops made a lot of noise on my clothes and helmet cover. But I stayed completely dry inside and actually had a big grin on my face when I arrived. Rule #9 applied on this ride Ride home was dry and the goretex gloves were too warm in the dry. Took them off halfway and was fine with that.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Good job Dutchman!

I rode today. Uneventful other than it was 30F out which made my ears cold as I descended down a big hill. All of you who ride in single-digit temps in the winter are probably snickering right now. But 30F is cold for here.

mtbr member
    Thanks woodway so I have my ears covered at those temps too, in fact my entire face. I mostly wear a thin buff but it makes a big difference.

Nice uneventful dry rides today. Very dark on the way home, clear sky, no moon and lots of stars.

CB of the East
    Snicker Snicker

It was about 24F here this morning and we are headed for a cold snap. Road biking much below freezing does get cold. Usually when we hit the single digits I've moved to mountain bikes and trails so the wind chill isn't as bad. 24 is borderline balaclava weather.

Damn my lips are dry.

I'm thinking that maybe, maybe, next week is lake crossing week. I'll have to see. Overnight lows are going to be around 10-15 and daytime highs are supposed to stay below freezing. There will be some skating recon this weekend, I hope.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I got another lip balm recently as mine have been chapped too. I like an ear covering of some sort at 30F but my face is fine in the 20's - after that first bracing impact! I like the buffs too, even though they get soggy from my breath after a while; usually by then I am warmed up. Felt better today but took it easy and drove in, especially since the lower temps are coming in as bedwards said - already down to 10F at 7p.m. Also, got 2-3" of unforecasted snow this morning! Here is a pretty off-topic peaceful pic from my trailcam...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-doe.jpg  

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice pic. Lot's of snow already!

Colder here this morning - mid 20's. I put a cap on under my helmet and the cap covered my ears, so the ride in this morning was way more pleasant! I don't like buffs either for the same reason as MTBX - they get soggy after a while.

mtbr member
    Nice pic indeed MTBX, and glad you feel better too!

My Buff gets soggy too but apparently it doesnt bother me too much?

So "it" happened this morning. It rained a lot yesterday and some freezing was predicted, so I prepared already to take the bus this morning. But at home it was +1C and so I rode. Outside of town though it appeared to be frozen. Temps dropped to -2C and there were a lot of big black ice spots everywhere. I stopped to lower the pressure a bit to have a bigger contact surface, rode careful but just before work on the last right hand turn I slipped and fell on my right elbow and knee. Skidded for about 2meters and came to a stop on my belly. Rappled myself up quickly, got everything from the road and started to sort things out. Bike was ok, except for some scratched on both ends of both brake levers. Steering bar was straight, even the bartape hardly damaged and useable until end of winter. Brakes worked and everything was still tight.

I myself was ok. My elbow hurt most but my jacket didnt have a scratch, just some dirt on it so I thought it would be ok. Windstopper pants has 2 slight tears in the top layer, I think I will glue a soft patch against it from the inside, will be hardly noticeable.

I continued into the plant and went straight to the medical center. I found 4 other cyclists in the waiting room already, all with bruised elbows and knees. When I undressed I noticed I did have a 2x1cm rash wound with some blood on it. Doc checked everything, gave me a patch on it and said I was good to go. When I left, there were 4 new cyclists in the waiting room. A collegue of mine also crashed but he had nothing, just broke his light.

Ride home was at +3C, and uneventful at least....

I still feel my right elbow, both knees and my left wrist. Furthermore I feel that my bones got shaken through. Time to look at myself as a grown-up instead of a young person I guess....

CB of the East
    ^^Ice gets the best of us. I'm glad you are OK. I searched a long time for a video I've seen posted on this forum of dozens of cyclists loosing it on the same icy corner but I'm not sure where it is.

I took the fatbike through the trails this morning and the ice was SO hard that the studs didn't bite at all. Flat was OK but anything off camber was a no-go. There were only a few spots.

I just placed an order for a Ti frame (just like woodway's but not a disk) and all the bits and pieces to build it up.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow Dutchman, that is a crazy amount of cyclists all going down the same morning. I hope the pains are improved today.

Excited for you bedwards, Ti is awesome for an all weather commuter!

Yesterday's ride in was one of the chillier ones so far this winter, it had warmed up from 4 to 10F by the time I got on the bike. Uneventful until I got to the roundabout. I entered it easily, passed the first exit, and then saw a car coming a little to quick for comfort in the next entry. So even though I had the ROW and she was looking right at me, and I was <20' away, I decided to err on the side of caution and slowed up. Sure enough, she blew right through while looking right through me; I am quite sure she would have nailed me had I not taken evasive action.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Ouch Dutchman! Hope you feel OK today. Pavement hurts!

Very cool bedwards. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the result.

Good move MTBX. Long-time bike commuters develop a sixth sense about situations. 4F...10F...WOW!

It was colder here this morning - well, by our standards, it was balmy by MTBX standards - in the low 20's when I left the house. I just felt like a slug this morning but made it to work without issues.

This cold weather seems to have chased all the cyclists away. When I went down to the bike room last night to head home, there were only two other bikes in the room! (the third bike in the picture, without any gear hanging from it is a perma-bike that has not moved since we moved into this building in August).

How was your commute today?-image-ios.jpg

CB of the East
    Cool bike room. I've got away with leaving mine in the front hallway at work for the last 6-7 years. I think I have grandfathered myself. It also incentivizes me to keep it clean(ish) since it is in a customer area.

I'm excited about the new bike! Now it's just the waiting game while everything ships.

No ride for me today. My knees are achy. I'll push through being tired but mechanical issues that could get worse will force me to rest. I'm offsite tomorrow so I guess I'll have to save up my riding for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yes I'm ok. I still feel my right elbow, the rest is fine.

Woodway that is a bikeroom that can make one really jealous. Does the room have any additional features, bikestand, lockers, anything?

Bedwards cr4p I just bought the alu cx bike. Why do I never listen to myself and buy what I want, so that I dont have to be jealous on people who do buy what they want??

Wet pavement but no rain this morning, drizzle on the way home. From tomorrow on, weatherforecast calls for non-stop rain for 3 days in a row. Seeing is believing, but bring it on

Members who have read this thread: 174