Page 241 of 241 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241
Results 24,001 to 24,022 of 24022
    mtbr member
    Missed a beautifully-blatant middle-of-the-light-cycle red-light-running-SUV... my gopro was on the other bike.

Bummer. I would have loved to have him in my 2018 compilation.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Yes I am doing better by now. Because of the cold and coughing, I could not sleep very well the last 5 days so I got sleep deprivation on top of it :-/ But I have the feeling it is getting better today.
    I guess somewhere next week I will be done and will have some pics of the complete setup.
    Good to hear that you are healing! Will look forward to pics of your new machine.

I have several routes I ride home depending on how far I want to go, how I feel, etc. Tonight I rode a route that took me past the Boeing Renton facility where they assemble the 737. On one side of the plant is a road that takes you past the flightline and you ride quite close to many completed 737's ready for their delivery test flights. On the other side of the plant you ride next to a rail line where you get to see the other side of the process:

How was your commute today?-img_0112.jpeg
    How was your commute today?-img_0114.jpeg

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cool pics woodway. Some of my family was from that area. My Grandfather who I never met, worked for Boeing.

Dutchman, yeah, that 300 model was nicely spec'd. It looks fast just sitting still. Looking forward to hearing some ride reports.

ghettocruiser, glad you missed the SUV or rather it missed you!

mtbr member
    Ghettocruiser a shame you dont have the 4$$h01e on dashcam!

Z1r, Woodway, thanks for the credits and the pics. I remember a news flash that such a train derailed and some of the fuselages fell in a river - was that this or last year?

So I made a 2m/3km "ride" on the new bike after putting on another saddle and installing the speedometer.

I noticed the stock bar svcks big time and those skinny tires too, although they are maxxis mud wrestlers, which are getting good reviews everywhere. I am apparently a guy that needs comfort For that I really really like the metallic paint on it - pic link at the bottom!

So I put the new venturemax bar on, wrapped with one layer of cork gel bartape. And I installed the schwalbe hurricanes in 42mm. On the rim they are 39mm wide measured, and they clear the chainstays with around 2mm to spare on each side. For me, that is sufficient. On the front of the rear tire there is around 10mm space, so plenty of space to install fenders if necessary. The fork also has plenty of clearance left for a fender.

I made a short shakedown ride with my son this afternoon, around 1h10m. I noticed the bike is much more nimble and I have proven an old wisdom again: Every gram counts when going uphill. So on the flat I dont think I will be much faster, but as soon as it is going up, I really feel a difference. For the rest I now know again why a hardtail or fully with 80-100mm suspension is the best way to go here. On the rooty trails I had my teeth rattling although I used to just surf down the trail on my hardtail in the good old days....

Unfortunately we started shortly before sunset and came back in almost dark, so no pics of that currently yet. It also rained so I did not want to get out my phone anyway.

First pics here, I will fill up the album later on:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RRZFU2NFlpRVZn

It is supposed to rain next week, so I will probably ride the other bike with fenders. But end of the week is supposed to be dry with some sun, I hope I will be out during daylight with the bike.

CU, CD
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Days Ago at 10:28 PM.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Z1r, Woodway, thanks for the credits and the pics. I remember a news flash that such a train derailed and some of the fuselages fell in a river - was that this or last year?
    It was 2014: https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...iver/12258639/

It's a nice looking bike, Dutchman! And you've already started the upgrade cycle

You could try one of these suspension stems to smooth out your ride - a friend rides with one and really likes it:

https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

CB of the East
    Good Monday Morning fellow bike commuters. Or at least woodway, dutchman and the few others that pop in every once and a while.

I finally posted some pics of our MTB day in Utah. I'm planning on a different post for the hikes.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...bike-zion.html

I'm finally starting to feel more myself. Good thing because winter is starting to put us to the test here. Seriously, it's only the beginning of November.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  35.4 KB

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice report bedwards. Love that desert riding!

For a good trail app, checkout Trailforks (trailforks.com). I took a quick peek and the trails you were riding are all there. Nice app, similar functionality to what you described in MTB project. It's pretty much the standard app that everyone uses in my area.

Good to hear that you are feeling better.

CB of the East
    I went to look for the trailforks app and found it already installed on my phone. I must have done it a while ago. I see that trailforks had the trails closest to me but the MTB project didn't. I'm not sure if it is the same but I liked the MTB project because it downloaded the whole area so you could see it offline since cell coverage is spotty in a lot of riding spots. We navigated to the trailhead on unmarked dirt roads by zooming in on our position on the map.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    With Trailforks you download regions (which are basically States/Providences) so that you don't need to be connected while using the app.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

bedwards you were there and couldnt watch it?! My #1 and me watched the finals series on youtube...nice report though, good you could ride at all but I think I would not recommend the bikeshop either....
    For navigation, I am using the German App "komoot" available in english as well. It is not totally for free, I bought the entire world package of maps for 20 / 25$. That allows you to use it on as many phones as you whish for the rest of your life. The best is, that it is covered by German Data Protection laws, so unlike Google, Facebook & Co they do not analyse, store and sell your data to anyone paying enough money. I know the people on GCN use it as well. I looked up Zion NP and there are not many tours stored in that area (not many users there apparently) but I did find the west rim trail. You can download a prerouted tour and map package so that you can use it offline on your phone too. https://www.komoot.com/

Woodway, 2014? I still have those pics in my head like yesterday - plane geeks know their stuff ;o))

So I made a short 17km/11m ride yesterday on the new bike, first ride with the new bar, new tires and the selfsewn half-frame bag. The bag basically works, but the material is pretty flimsy. I think in the long run the velcrotape will rip out, but it did hold my wallet, keys and repkit firmly without swinging. I added two pics from the ride, made them during a short stop to adjust the saddle and the bar. When I came home I decided the brifters are good where they are and wrapped a second layer of bartape.
    album link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xu5XHmd596QL6EBp6
    I found a good deal on a Topeak seatpost rack with the corresponding click-on- trunkbag for 55 incl shipping to my mom in the Netherlands. Will pick it up after Christmas while visiting, together with all other things I bought and sent there over the year

Oh yeah I almost forgot: I rode to work today on the other bike with fenders. Wet and some drizzle, 10C all day and the bike felt like a tank, but almost just as fast - as long as it is flat...and the unpaved part sucked today, literally. It has gotten soft and often it really feels like it sucks the wheels down. Not much longer and it will be so soft, that the mud clogs up the space between tire and wheel. I am taking the longer paved route now when it is wet.

Moderator Moderator
    The new bike is looking nice dutchman, and so does your path! Looks like a nice trip and ride bedwards, once you had 2 wheels that rolled and all, .

Winter storm warning for today so I mounted the studded snow tires on the MTB, time for some resistance training. 3-5" is forecast.

I missed some bikecommuting while dogsitting an elderly belgian shepherd. Made up for it with some gravel/class 4 road rides on the weekends. Also did a short No Vet Alone Ride, I suggested it to the shop and they sponsored it, just rode to the diner for lunch and back https://novetalone.org/ For Halloween I added ET in a milk crate to the front of the BMX for the ride to work.

CB of the East
    I didn't ride today for no other reason than I was being a little baby. It was raining, my wife was driving in and we have an extra car at work that needs to get home so I whimped out and carpooled. Riding in 33F degree rain is about my least favorite. The rest of the week is colder but drier.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Winter storm warning for today so I mounted the studded snow tires on the MTB, time for some resistance training. 3-5" is forecast.
    No Vet Alone looks like a great organization MTBX. 3-5", ouch. Stay warm and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I didn't ride today for no other reason than I was being a little baby.
    No Rule #9 for you.

39F and dry for me this morning. Supposed to rain the rest of the week.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    No Rule #9 for you.
    Nope, I need to re-visit #5 I guess.

mtbr member
    Wow mtbx you have so much snow? We are still waiting for temps below freezing. Hasnt been below 2C yet.

Again wet and drizzle with around 10C all day. Prepared the new bike for the first commute tomorrow. I hope it wont rain tonight...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Nope, I need to re-visit #5 I guess.
    Probably Rule #6 as well.

Moderator Moderator
    Great ride in with the snow. Enough to make it challenging but not scarey or crazy hard. Got a bunch of bedwards' trafficsfaction passing cars that were backed up at the lights. Utilized the empty sidewalks where possible to stay out of the slush. As I approached a section with no sidewalk, a state plow did a u-turn in the laundramat just ahead, and amazingly, started clearing the bike lane of plowed snow that I was just about to enter - perfect timing, as otherwise I would have had to fight with the cars for the 1 cleared lane.
    Tonight the power went out but came back on after I walked the dog - more good timing! About 6" at home.

mtbr member
    Everyone here has been talking about snow since before the weekend. We may have gotten a few flakes, but just about everything has been rain. I'd prefer snow, really. It's more enjoyable to ride in than cold rain. I opted for the car yesterday. Today's ride in was brisk (mid 20s), but nice. We have sleet and freezing rain in the forecast for tonight. Hopefully it doesn't amount to anything.
    Last edited by s0ckeyeus; 3 Hours Ago at 11:39 AM.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Rule #9 applies to you mtbx! Well done!

Freezing rain is where I draw the line on riding too s0ck. I suppose if I had studded tires I might consider it.

44F and rain on my commute today. Pretty uneventful otherwise.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Probably Rule #6 as well.
    Ha Ha, and probably others too. I did HTFU today.

Hey MTXB you are getting some early snow. We have mostly been just below the snow line but I think we are due for some on Friday.

Nothing too reportable here. I did break down and replace my tube on my road bike. I think I had used up it's useful life. I got a new hole too close to an old patch to patch. I think the value of the patches exceeded the value of the tube.
    How was your commute today?-20181111_090714.jpg

mtbr member
    Sock I am fully with you. Without any type of spike tires freezing rain / icy roads are simply dangerous. I wouldnt ride that either, but we seldomly have it - not even once every year.

Bedwards that really looks like you patched it a lot. But there is still space between the patches, why replace it so soon?

First commute on the new bike. Roads were wet but nothing coming from the tires, so I stayed dry and clean. I got it pretty much dialed in by now, the bar is a bit lower as on the other bike, but saddle and bar position are pretty much the same by now. For the rest, not much to say. About 10minutes faster on the round trip, it took exactly 1hr today. AvSpeed was ~3.5kph/2mph faster as on the other bike. I have to admit, I had expected a tad more, that will probably need skinnier/faster tires and lycra kit. I also dont like the backpack, but I will have to deal with that for a while and I think I will survive it Battery light was not the brightest either - on the way home it got better when I turned it on. The other bike has a dynamohub and therefore the light is always on without thinking about it. Luckily some guy flashed his carlights at me even before I left the plant.

Its getting colder with temps just above freezing in the morning, but also dry and sunny, so I will ride the new bike Thu and Fr as well.

CB of the East
    About 10minutes faster on the round trip, it took exactly 1hr today. AvSpeed was ~3.5kph/2mph faster as on the other bike. I have to admit, I had expected a tad more, that will probably need skinnier/faster tires and lycra kit.
    My average speeds easily vary by that much day to day depending on the wind, air density, and fatigue level. All other things being equal if you are comparing this ride with with rides in warmer weather, you might be faster on this new bike than you think. Higher air density, colder grease, tighter tolerances, stiffer tires, more restrictive clothing, heavier clothing. They all add up. Well that's at least what I tell myself.

It's warmed up to a balmy 25F here mid-day but the sun is going down soon so I thin we've seen the "heat" of the day. #earlywinter.

Members who have read this thread: 178